[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steel case ammo: Good? Bad? Depends? It works fine in my Mosin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: SteelCase.jpg (60KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
SteelCase.jpg
60KB, 900x600px
Steel case ammo: Good? Bad? Depends? It works fine in my Mosin and Vepr, but I recently got a handgun and everybody says to avoid it like the plague. Is there any particular reason to do so? Only problem I've had with it so far is maybe the cases splitting 1 in every 30-40 or so.
>>
>>28320784
It's not good ammo but it puts holes in things
>>
the only real downsides to steel are

1. isn't as elastic as brass.
2. doesn't hold heat like brass.
3. doesn't store as well as brass.
>>
For being steel case, I actually by a lot of it in 9 mm (next shipment is around 3000 rounds) For my Beretta 92 and Beretta Nano because I tend to be a range faggot who goes there every Wednesday for 2 hours.

I get maybe 6 "bad eggs" (Squibs/Hangfires) per 100 rounds I usually wait after it goes "click" to see if something happens because I don't want to be that dindu that blows a few fingers off playing with duds.
>>
If steel case ammo is a legitimate concern with your gun, you should really sell it because it's a piece of shit.

Then again, quality brass case ammo can be had at the same price point and is usually much more consistent so why bother?
>>
>>28320842
You're a darkie?
>>
>>28320784
You don't need expensive ammo to shoot into the burm.
>>
>>28320784
>Only problem I've had with it so far is maybe the cases splitting 1 in every 30-40 or so.
What handgun?
>inb4 Glock
If your having cases split and/or rupture in a Mosin or Vepr then the headspacing is WAYYY off.
>>
>>28320842
>experience multiple squibs per week
>shit that doesn't actually happen
>>
>>28320874
Well, he is talking about beretta
>>
>>28320859
I've heard that many old 7.62x54r's are known to crack due to interactions of the powder with the inner steel case that is bare steel.

>>28320842
Sounds like the primers could be a bit hard for your gun every now and then? Do you ever second strike the primer?
>>
>>28320859
Not even handgun, mosin. Haven't tried steel case with handgun (VP9) yet.
>inb4 heckle my kock
I made my decision, etc. etc. so don't start a shitstorm about it

it's not really a split, more like a tiny hole around the shoulder, and again only 1 / 30-40

>>28320844
>quality brass case ammo can be had at the same price point
I can't find any 18c brass case.

>>28320842
>>28320838
>>28320819
Noted.
>>
>>28320884
You know how i know your no funs?
>>
>>28320853
This to be honest.
>>
>>28320884
Squibs are pretty rare. Some noguns is trying to pretend he knows what he's talking about.
>>
>>28320896
Yeah that nugget is gonna blow up in your face soon friendo. Also
>VP9
If you decided to spend all that fucking money on a Hedi n' Kek why would you feed it steel case? oh right because you want to actually shoot it. In that case should gotten something not a meme gun. Whatever mang. So how about this. You shoot steel case because it doesn't fucking matter, and don't buy yet another (in this case your third) meme gun.
>>
>>28320842
I'd say that if you're getting that many squibs/hangfires, you've got a deathwish - and that ammo goes to my black book right now. What's the manufacturer, again?
>>
>>28320980
>nugget is gonna blow up soon
Any basis for that assumption?

A gun is a one-time investment (past parts etc.), ammo is a continual thing.

>meme gun
What?
>mang
Really?
>third meme gun
...what?
>>
>>28321047
>Any basis for that assumption?
Uh... the fact that the cases are rupturing/have cracks
>all that other drivel
Truly autistic.
>>
>>28321074
>>28320885

Can it be just because of a shitty batch of ammo?
>>
The only time steel is an issue is when it has the lacquer coating on it and dear might lords of cycling when you load er up it get sticky.
>>
I only buy Monarch for pistol ammo. I shot some Tulammo 9mm out of my SD9VE and the bullets literally flew about 20 feet before plopping onto the ground. I found a few of the bullets completely intact just sitting next to the target. Only about 2 even hit the target and even then they didn't hit anything but the outside edges.
>>
>>28320896
Try laxammo. They have reloads which are fucking great and can be had for about that price before shioping; they have a free shipping sale a few times a year. I've bought 2k of brass case .45acp for $.30/r from them in the past few months.
>>
>>28320980
>If you decided to spend all that fucking money on a Hedi n' Kek why would you feed it steel case?

Dude, it looks to me that the OP is specifically asking what's wrong with the steel case, no?

So, looks like you know why it's a bad thing, care to share the wisdom?
>>
wolf>tula, apparently. I've had fine luck with both, but I've used only a few hundred tula, and a few thousand wolf. The only legitimate concern would be the thin copper wash (~5 micron) on the bullet (projectile), and the wear of the steel on the rifling.
>>
>>28320844
all barrels are equally susceptible to shitty ammo, chucklecuck
>>
>>28321164
Sounds like a load of shit. I've shot thousands of rounds of tula and never experienced this and I've never heard of this happening to anyone else either
>>
>>28321183
>reloads
You're fucking retarded if you buy reloads.
>>
I thought the issue with steel was its hard on extractors? Is this true or arfcom-lore?
>>
>>28320784

Some people belive it will put to much stress on the extractor and the ejector then shear it off ( ar 15 Steelcase myth ). For my FN squishy it runs fine , runs dirty , needs a bit more cleaning , rarely and I mean 1 round every 3 boxes there's always that one round that splits for me so far. It's good for plinking , stores fine in metal tins and cheap , now with winchester us steel at 30$ per 150 in stores.

I steel is great for volume but for long store and shtf I might want to get something better , for me choice ammo for that is winchester 124grn nato. Sealed and runs fan fucking tastic.
>>
>>28320784
>I recently got a handgun and everybody says to avoid it like the plague.

I found 1,000 rounds for $162 shipped a few weeks ago. Passed on it due to that.

Wasn't sure if my MP Shield 9mm would eat it without fail, or if it would fuck it up somehow.
>>
>>28320896
>I can't find any 18c brass case.
No, you can't find it at the one walmart you check every so often for ammo.

Why do so few people do the smart thing and order ammo online? Far cheaper, far better selection, nearly always in stock.
>>
>>28320842
>~6 squibs out of every 100

Holy shit. I've been shooting steel-case ammo for years and not had one happen. I'd look into a different brand or something, man.
>>
>>28321285
>what is gunbot
I haven't found 18c ammo there, either, and AFAIK it's a decent aggregator.
>>
>>28320784
Totally depends on the gun man, my c93 doesn't like brass but chews through steel.
>>
>>28321285
I think some people are concerned about shipping costs and think it'll offset the per-round savings.
>>
>>28321285

Shipping costs something that's why. And usually the price between steel and brass is usually 3-5 cents a round. Small batches no problem but it makes a diffrence in big one.
>>
As long as the projectile jacket material is not of bimetal composition than you should not worry too much
>>
>>28321008
Tula... And I need to repeat myself maybe up to 6 in a worse case scenario. It's not like every box was 6, it was a rough estimate of the most I've encountered in a single box out of the several I've been through.
>>
>>28320885
Second strike worked on a few of them.
>>
>>28320842
I've never had a problem with wolf and bear steel cased pistol ammo (9mm). I did have a lot of problems with reman'd brass cased ammo. I'm talking about 2 duds per 15 rds. Shits annoying and dangerous. I stopped shooting steel cases pistol cause I hated the smell. Will probably get back on it to save some $$ since I don't reload.
>>
This might be unique to only guns with direct blowback actions, but in the hi point c9 steel will cause constant jamming. I talked to some friends and armorers and they said it's due to the heavy slide and large amount of pressure needed to cycle a direct blowback pistol. Steel casings don't expand as much as brass or aluminum and therefore don't seal the chamber properly and don't provide enough pressure to reliably cycle the action
>>
Shitty steel case is all I feed my AR, mostly because it works well enough for punching paper or ringing steel, and it pissed off Gucci AR-fags like nothing else.

Mostly it's Silver Bear, which is slightly less shitty, but every so often I throw a couple boxes of Tulashit through it.

My pistols see a lot of steel case too, but if I'm practicing with my CCW it's brass-cased Winny 3-gun ammo, because the bullet shape is real close to that of Winny Rangers I use as carry ammo.
>>
>>28321281
i have around 500 rounds of brown bear through my shield with another 700 rounds of brass case ammo. 0 malfunctions except 1 hard primer that went bang on the second strike
>>
>>28323601
I don't really notice a difference in smell.

I love LOVE wolf for my AK and SKS.
>>
File: 6squibsperhundredrounds.jpg (46KB, 650x293px) Image search: [Google]
6squibsperhundredrounds.jpg
46KB, 650x293px
>>28320842
>>28323576
6 squibs.. per 100.. how do you even still have a gun.. define squib
>>
>>28323664
Steel is all I shoot for rifle, I save the brass for SHTF. The smell of wolf rifle doesn't bother me at all.
>>
>>28320784
i say this as a reloader: fuck you
>>
>>28323773
GTFO tripfag
Useless post
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.