[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got absolutely assblasted the other day for suggesting that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (235KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
235KB, 1155x1155px
I got absolutely assblasted the other day for suggesting that magazines shouldn't be stored fully loaded long term, as this would eventually wear out the spring.
I was told this wasn't the case, and that proper springs shouldn't degrade from being compressed for a long time.
My question is, of this is true, why do drum magazines have a spring tension release for storage?
>>
>>28097281
g0 away
>>
It's to help load them, not to store them.
>>
>>28097288
y tho
>>
>>28097298
/thread
Go the fuck away, you fucking shitposter.
>>
I only keep one pistol magazine loaded in my house unless I'm going to the range and even then I rotate daily between which mag is loaded because all springs do eventually wear out. With any decent magazine its going to be a long ass time before it happens but I do it anyways
>>
Constant changes in tension on the spring will wear it out. Just keeping it loaded won't cause any major problems.

Remember to keep them locked up, however.
>>
Take a piece of paper and fold it in half.

Unfold and pull on the sides, trying to get it to rip down the fold.

Take another piece of paper and fold it the same way, but then fold it back over and over.

Now try to pull it apart along the fold.

Failure occurs with repeated use and stress perpendicular to any faults. A spring's tensile failure will simply not occur by loading it and then leaving it.

If your fear is over a spring "losing" it's tension for being under load, I would happily inform you that this is not at all the case in the vast majority of machined springs, including those used in magazines. Any such loss of spring constant will not occur in any relatively short amount of time.
>>
>I got absolutely assblasted the other day for asking a question I could have easily googled instead of contributing to the perpetual degradation of this board, but I clearly haven't learned from that experience and am going to do the same thing again
>>
>>28097347
>changes in tension
This nigga gets it
>>
>>28097399
> implying i got assblasted on this board
> implying ar15.com has any useful information
I asked here because google was useless, assface
>>
>>28097491
lurk moar you stupid fucking fuck.
>>
>>28097281
Jesus, this fucking fudd lore of all fudd lores.
>>
>>28097340
this is true
the problem is that springs wear out through usage cycles of compression (or extension) and release, not through time in compression
>>
>>28097378
This guy covered. Its not complicated engineering. Pick the right metal, pitch and twists so that the spring is never in a position that distorts its k value apart from deterioration with use. Composition and tolerance are everything in engineering durable parts.
>>
>>28097340
>I rotate daily between which mag is loaded because all springs do eventually wear out.

That's about the worst thing you can do in terms of life expectancy of the spring. Keeping a spring stored in compression does it no harm at all (it's to do with the residual stresses in the steel - I'm not great at explaining things without it turning in to a 6.5*10^17 word essay, but you can google it). It's compression cycles - squeezing it down then releasing it - that kill the spring. Each time you load or unload your magazines you're reducing it's lifespan.
>>
>>28097281

Do you also take your car off of its springs at night to save them the wear?

Fuddlore pls go.
>>
>>28097491
What other mouth breathing board would you ask?

Out would be the only other board with any remote weapons knowledge
>>
>>28097901
Another website, you fucking dweeb
>>
>>28097928
Go back to reddit
>>
>>28097947
> what are gun forums?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.