[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A rather odd result from a wargame I was playing last evening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: Vincennes.jpg (103KB, 740x605px) Image search: [Google]
Vincennes.jpg
103KB, 740x605px
A rather odd result from a wargame I was playing last evening has prompted me to ask:

How long would the Japanese Carrier Akagi have held up to 8 inch guns from a pair of New Orleans class cruisers? What, if anything could it have done to defend itself if it didn't launch planes until it was already under attack?
>>
>>28051719
Of all carriers in ww2 it would probably be one of the better ones off, it was built on an old battlecrusier hull and retained I think 8 7.9in guns in casements.

But the only real chance it would have would be to run away asap, have all its destroyers charge the crusiers and try and get some planes in the air. Without a seriously armoured flight deck, even a single hit could fuck it up
>>
File: rsz_uss_lexington_cv2.jpg (1MB, 2860x2258px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_uss_lexington_cv2.jpg
1MB, 2860x2258px
>>28051786
Actually it had all of its antiship armament removed - the biggest guns it carried were 25mm guns.

A more interesting scenario would be seeing Lexington or Saratoga get into a gun battle with a cruiser.
>>
>>28051942
That'd be just as ugly, could be over in the first salvo depending on shot placement
>>
>>28051942
That'd be fun to watch, especially if it was in it's final refit.
>>
>>28051942
Unless there was a second modernization late in the war, Akagi retained 6 7,9in guns after the 38' modernization and still did around the time of the start of the war.
>>
File: CVA AKAGI 1929.jpg (135KB, 1280x883px) Image search: [Google]
CVA AKAGI 1929.jpg
135KB, 1280x883px
>>28052515
From what I'm reading Akagi lost its 20cm guns after the 1938 refit.

The retarded triple-decker layout had ten 20cm guns though.
>>
>>28051719
Generally, if any surface ship got into gun range with a carrier, the carrier was toast. They pretty much have no armor and any armament they happen to be carrying most likely won't even dent a decent heavy cruiser.
>>
>>28052552
Im on my shit phone so I can't copy paste, but if you Google akagi 8in guns they show up on wiki and a number of books on the first page. Looks like they were the same gums as on the Tone.
>>
File: CA-033_Portland.jpg (180KB, 1420x1081px) Image search: [Google]
CA-033_Portland.jpg
180KB, 1420x1081px
>>28052552
>>28052606
The turret-mounted 20cm guns were removed along with the second flight deck; Akagi retained 3x 20cm guns on each side aft in sponsons.
>>
>>28052553

If we're talking the Akagi vs a New Orleans class, it has heavier deck and belt armor than the cruiser.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.