[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have been in the French foreign legion for 1.5 years. You

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 19

File: 1447529161993.jpg (549KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
1447529161993.jpg
549KB, 1440x960px
I have been in the French foreign legion for 1.5 years.

You can ask questions if you wish.
>>
>>27939669
Quel régiment ?
>>
What do you think about people complaining about FF13 being a long hallway walk when FF10 was the same thing being a long hallway walk.
>>
who do you hate more, france or the rest of the world
>>
How tough was training? I was in the Navy and that was a joke. I assume FFL is serious and tough?
>>
File: 1445698247954.jpg (475KB, 799x513px) Image search: [Google]
1445698247954.jpg
475KB, 799x513px
>>27939669
Je demande des preuves.
>>
>>27939690
2e REI

>>27939714
I am ex British Army the training was pretty tough compared to that.

Really the British Army today is a joke.
>>
>>27939669
Is Sergeant Ivanov still at Aubagne? Still making people put rocks in their mouths?
>>
>>27939669
Do they screen you for injuries when joining?
>>
>>27939669
I'm 28 years old, I'm 5'4", 280lbs. I have pretty serious anxiety (diagnosed) and depression (undiagnosed). I'm a really good shot, though. I don't speak French.

Can I join?
>>
>>27939723
>I am ex British Army the training was pretty tough compared to that.
Did you ever regret joining? Im in the Bundeswehr right now and also think about joining the Legion or Academi
when im finnished here
>>
>>27939669
Amazing OP, I plan on going there next year.

How hard is it to join the 2eme REP?

Are pushups big there or they prefer pullups for evaluating recruits?

Know something about the GCP (I only know they're like the equivalent to the british pathfinders)?
>>
>>27939798
>How hard is it to join the 2eme REP?
They are always the most requested regiment. So, it's not easy.

>Are pushups big there or they prefer pullups for evaluating recruits?
If you can't do basically unlimited amount of either, don't bother.

Know something about the GCP (I only know they're like the equivalent to the british pathfinders)?
They are French special forces. They recruit from all French parachute regiments, not just the 2REG. Elite of the elite.
>>
>>27939790
>5'4
>serious anxiety
>depression
>wants to be soldier
>>
>>27939729
Story?
>>
Why'd you do it?
Why not just settle down, wife and kids, live a normal life instead of slowly being grinded down till your salvage value?
>>
>>27939669
They let you have internet?
>>
>>27939892
Ex-Russian Army. Ageless. Had a face like a hatchet. He could have been 30, he could have been 50. Worst French imaginable.

He didn't like being talked back to, so if he ever heard anything out of our mouths except "Oui, Sergeant!" he would casually pick up a rock about the size of a golf ball and make us put it in our mouths and leave it there for the remainder of the day.
>>
>>27939846
>They are French special forces.
Wrong, GCP are elite but not special force.
>>
>>27939966
Some are considered special forces after two years of service you can try to join special forces or some shit
>>
what is the 13dble up to these days? any upshot to requesting that unit?

aside from ceremony, do Pioneers serve any real purpose?
>>
>>27940083
The 13th is dead. It's no longer in Djibouti, it's no longer even outside France. It's going to be stationed in Averyron, but supposedly it's going to be bumped up to a full-regiment size. in a couple of years.

The old-timers are pretty sad over it. Another little piece of tradition gone.
>>
>>27939953

Thats awesome.
>>
>>27939790
>5'4 280lbs
post pics
>>
>>27939846

Wait, you can move into French Special Forces in the regular army from the Legion?
>>
>>27939669

OP, Tell me a bout minimum requirement for beep test. How many you've to do? And for the entry physical and IQ test, What do you do?
>>
>>27940210
Don't think about it in terms of "minimums" because it never gets to that point. The Legion only takes ~10% of applicants. It was 1 out of 12 in my group.

They only take the best. If you only get to the minimums, you're still probably not going to get in because you are being outdone by so many other more-qualified candidates.

The IQ test is simple. It's basically a math skills and logic test. Because you aren't expected to be able to speak French going in, the test isn't super verbal. They have a couple of language options like, Spanish, English, German, etc, but it's mostly pictures.

The psychological examination is the one that applicants should be nervous about but, for some reason, never are. If you fail at the other stages, you are told to get fit and try again in six months. If you fail at THIS point, you are given a mark in your file and you may never apply again.
They ask you a series of questions (translated into the language you're most comfortable in, of course) and they take down your answers. Questions with simple, mostly one-word answers, like, "what is your relationship with your mother?" Afterwards they examine your results and compare them with the answers given by exemplary legionnaires and guys who were complete fuckups. If you match the fuckups more closely, they reject you.
>>
>>27939703
Anyone who likes one while disliking the other is an idiot, but that goes for anyone who likes any FF title past 9.
>>
>>27939790
le memeing this hard
>>
>>27940115
It's a good news, actually. The 13th was an empty shell when in UAE. It was basically an overstrength company with 70 permanent and the rest were just on rotation. Now it's going to be reborn as an actual unit.
>>
>>27940175
dude you become a french citizen after 5 years with the legion of course you can join the french army
>>
>>27940690
I don't know. I mean, it's better for the Legion on the whole, and should bump up our numbers to about 8,500 but I know a lot of old-timers who just see it as another little piece of Legion history being slowly nibbled away.
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>27939953
He sounds retarded.
>"Private Vodka, Where's Private Kebab?"
>"He's at-..."
>Shoves stone in face.
>>
>>27942418
more like
>Private Vodka, go jump in that frozen lake.
>Do I take my clothes off first, Sergeant?
>You just don't learn, do you?
>>
>>27940722

>>>/v/

Fucking teenagers
>>
>>27942501
That was exactly it. Not that situation, per se, but that amount of back-talk.
One of the things the Legion drills into you is "Don't think, just do."
They are very big on following orders robotically. A Legion historically filled with deserters and scum has always had to overcompensate to demonstrate its worth to the nation. One of those ways was, "We're not an undisciplined rabble, look how well we follow orders".

Additionally to that, of course, was that once the Legionnaires are in a mind-state where they will follow orders robotically, you can order them to do anything. No matter if it's dangerous or immoral.

So Sergeant Ivanov did that with his rocks "en la bouche" but the Legion does it in other ways, like with moronic even non-sensical corvee (chores) and traditional brainwashing techniques like sleep- and food-deprivation.
>>
why'd you give hajis the satisfaction plunging FR in fear?

why are you letting refugees in?

why can't i get a gf? im good looking and all but i'm not so clever to keep the conversation going keeping her interested.
>>
>>27942693
Not OP but id guess that your probably ugly. Lift more
>>
File: 1433553761841.gif (1MB, 506x355px) Image search: [Google]
1433553761841.gif
1MB, 506x355px
>>27942693
>>27942725

Lifting makes you attractive
>>
>>27942693
>im good looking
proofs?
>>
>>27942741
>>27942725

thank you, I haven't lifted all week anyways and these holiday potlucks in the dept are sabotaging me.

>>27942770
I just do
>>
>>27942618
You make it sound like a cult more than an army.
>>
Was bear grylls in the legion?
>>
>>27942814
lol, no, he was in a shitty reality show.

One of the ex-Legionnaire "trainers" for the show was this wormy little American fucker who did not necessarily uphold the best traditions of the Legion during his act. He basically got run off a number of forums for ex-Legionnaires.
>>
File: image.jpg (101KB, 680x697px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 680x697px
>>27939669
What color is the boathouse at Aubagne?
>>
File: rdn.jpg (92KB, 650x704px) Image search: [Google]
rdn.jpg
92KB, 650x704px
>>27942892
How the fuck should I know?
>>
>>27939669
Do they really make you take a new name?
>>
>>27939669
how join????
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 197x245px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 197x245px
>>27942920
Another cup of coffee?
>>
File: ss.jpg (22KB, 288x400px) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
22KB, 288x400px
>>27942966
I'll have a grasshopper.
>>
>>27939669
I plan on joining the FFL in a few years (19 now, maybe will join when i am 25 or so)

I got someone suggest to me the 2nd paratrooper regiment. Any suggestion or thing i should consider other than knowing french beforehand?
>>
So help me understand this. . . The legion is basically like joining a special forces unit right off the street?
>>
Pay?
>>
>>27942947
They used to let you enlist with your own name, but now they make everyone take a new name. It helps to increase the sense of isolation and encourage you to integrate yourself with the Legion even faster.

You have about ten seconds to choose your new name before they pick one for you. They keep the initials the same and give you one appropriate to your nationality. For example, an American named Robert Smith would be given the name Robin Simmons.

That is now your legal name in France.

After a year, you can go back to your real name if you want. While you are under your pseudonym, you are not permitted contact back home with people who knew the old you. If you want to get the French green card, you also have to go back to your old name. Some guys stick with their pseudonym for the duration, but most don't. I didn't.

>>27942989
>I got someone suggest to me the 2nd paratrooper regiment. Any suggestion or thing i should consider other than knowing french beforehand?

The 2e REP is the probably the most famous regiment and they get a little extra pay because they are paratroopers and are stationed outside mainland France. They have a cocky "we're the elites" thing going as well. They don't march any more often than any of the other combat regiments, and less than the engineering regiments. But the thing is, you don't really get to pick your assignment. The Legion picks for you. They'll ask the top 10 in the class their preference, and then completely ignore it. You get placed where the Legion needs you to be. In my class, the top 3 guys all picked the REP. None got it. The guy who finished last was sent to the REP, though.

French humor.
>>
>>27943004
More like Ranger Battalion, with less training and gear, and more Slavs.
>>
>>27943067
My base pay was about 1200 euros per month after taxes, before expenses.
>>
>>27943075
I was in the USMC as a supply pogue, deployed, saw combat (one pretty big firefight). Think I could make it at 26 now, and in slightly less good condition?
>>
>>27943075
Is the selection so hard? i heard the story of another former FFL and i was in touch with another former FFL stating that as long as you finished boot camp wich was basically run nonstop for weeks with nearly no sleep you were golden
>>
File: 1448016404619.jpg (63KB, 720x478px) Image search: [Google]
1448016404619.jpg
63KB, 720x478px
>>27939669
How excited are you to remove kabob?
>>
>>27943075
>They used to let you enlist with your own name, but now they make everyone take a new name.
Official Legion website disagrees.
>>
>>27943172
>>27943188

The difficulty of the selection is as much a function of the people who apply at the same time you do. You're judged against them. The minimums are, after all, laughably easy. (7 on the luc leger, 4 chin ups)

Castelnaudary (basic training) isn't physically THAT hard either. The thing is the mentality that comes with it. While you're training, you're also having your personality re-written, in a very real sense. The psychological and physical stress, combined, are hard.

Once you get to your regiment, then you have even more training, which is more specialized, but also a little more personally abusive, since you're the new puke who, until further notice, is little more than a parasitic liability at best.

I have heard basic training is actually more difficult for people who have prior military training because they have so many practices that they have to un-learn before learning the Legion way. There are plenty of men, however, who are successful Legionnaires with or without prior military experience.

>>27943278
The website says lots of things that, in practice, simply aren't true. You take a new name because everyone else takes a new name. You're not a special snowflake, are you? Because I assure you, you do not want to be special in any sense.
>>
>>27939669
what are some of the worst things they put you through in training
>>
>>27943310
>You take a new name because everyone else takes a new name
Interesting.
I'm thinking about giving them a shot next fall. I can do about 20 pull ups max and can run like there's no tomorrow. Anything else I should focus on?
>>
>>27943310

Tell us more about gate guard duty. I heard you have to stand still for several hours with full dress uniform and Famas hanging on your chest. The one that can move is the guy who operating gate door.

One more. After accepting the contract and before moved to Aubagne , can you make at least one phone call to your relatives or no contact to outside world until getting the white kepi?
>>
>>27939723

What regiment were you in in the British Army?
>>
>>27939669
I am an American who wishes to join. I have no military experience due to criminal record, and need a new start. I am in great physical shape, and speak basic French. Do you think I'll even make it to rouge due to being American and the lack of mil experience?
>>
>>27943314
Some of the things that I thought were the worst generally weren't the physically most painful, but they seemed very unfair at the time to me.

During one of the several roll-calls per day (we have several because desertion is still common) we'd count off, in French, of course. If you were slightly slow to call out your number, or mispronounced your number. The instructor would calmly tell you the correct pronunciation, and make you repeat it. Then he would take a step back and slug you in the stomach as hard as he could. While you're on the ground trying not to puke your guts out, he starts screaming the number at you. Then the whole line starts from 1. God help you if you didn't get that pronunciation right this time.

I understand that speaking clearly is important, particularly numbers, but I always hated that routine.

Another thing was the songs. (The chants) The songs are part of Legion tradition and they are useful since learning songs is a good way to pick up a language more quickly than just speaking. French soldiers sing instead of the cadence calls of US troops.

Well we were learning a new song and the instructor didn't like the way we sang it. He decided it was because we were too hot in the stuffy classroom, so he made us strip down completely naked and march waist-deep into a freezing drainage pond. Then start singing. Shivering got you a rock hucked at you. At one point I was hit, by accident, so the instructor called me out of the pond, and apologized for his poor aim. Then he punched me in the stomach for flinching. Then he handed me a rock to hit the guy he was trying to hit in the first place.

If I thought I could actually do it, I would have killed him at that point.
>>
>>27943310
Frog here. Out of curiosity, which company were you in at Castel?...
>>
>>27943401
OĂ¹ vous entrainez vous? Que en France ou Ă  l'Ă©tranger Ă©galement?
>>
>>27943423
2e CEV. I was not with the 4e RE permanently. After training I went to the 2e REG in the Vaucluse for a nice ski vacation.

>>27943382
Guard duty is hard, but you don't stand there like a statue. You can move a little bit, but you're still standing for 2 hours on, 4 hours off. You wear a fancy dress uniform with the nice fourragere and sash and epaulettes. It looks very sharp.

Regarding the phone calls, I don't remember. Things moved very fast and I had already made arrangements with my family that if they didn't hear from me that I was in. I gave my mother my letter of resignation from my job and told her to mail it if she didn't hear from me and freeze my accounts. At the time I was still living at home, so I didn't have to sell off all my stuff or my apartment. I will admit to making a phone call that I shouldn't have to tell my parents that I was in and that I was alright. That was not a cheap phone call.
>>
File: bsm_ou_bam.jpg (13KB, 267x177px) Image search: [Google]
bsm_ou_bam.jpg
13KB, 267x177px
>>27943585
>2e CEV
Until last summer, my brother was the CO of the 1ere CEV. I was just curious.
>for a nice ski vacation
Yea right :)
>>
>>27943680
wow. small world.

They did teach us to ski. 2e REG is a mountain troop, after all. Fortunately, I already knew how to ski, so the more experienced of us just took off and had fun.

The poor Africans, though. The IDEA of skiing had never even occurred to anyone in their entire race.

One poor guy from Senegal was absolutely miserable. We might have just asked him to flap his arms and fly. The funniest was when complained that the whole environment was against him:
>Look at my skin! Black as coal! How the fuck am I supposed to hide against the snow? You can see me all the way from the other mountains!
>>
>>27943585

Thanks man. Sometimes, this is one that worried me. You see, I just don't want to quit my current job only to failed during selection. My plan is to get some long holiday and telling my relatives if they don't hear anything from me, that mean I succeed. Still need to seel all my stuff though..
>>
>>27943746
Hah. I have some personnal experiences of Africans in the snow and the cold. Mostly from the academy, because I'm still there for some time.
When they see snow for the first time in their life, it's kind of hilarious to see the reaction of some of them. It's less hilarious when you have to motivate them to keep moving their asses in the snow though.
>>
what is the functional difference from becoming a Caporal Chef versus becoming a Sergeant? what are the benefits from one to the other?
>>
>>27943397
>Well we were learning a new song and the instructor didn't like the way we sang it. He decided it was because we were too hot in the stuffy classroom, so he made us strip down completely naked and march waist-deep into a freezing drainage pond. Then start singing. Shivering got you a rock hucked at you. At one point I was hit, by accident, so the instructor called me out of the pond, and apologized for his poor aim. Then he punched me in the stomach for flinching. Then he handed me a rock to hit the guy he was trying to hit in the first place.

fucking gold
>>
>>27942618

Do you find this detrimental to how the legion operates?

I can't see a command structure being flexible if this is the way of things from the very bottom.
>>
>>27939669
Why do you lie on 4chan
>>
>>27946352
Our command structure is French, though. With rare exceptions, all of our officers are Frenchmen who command the foreigners. They are trained in a manner very different to ours. This itself has led to a historical lack of full trust between our officers and the enlisted. In the old days, the screwups from the French military academy would be our officers, because the Legion was a dumping ground, and brave Legionnaires lost their lives. Nowadays, it's the crazy guys who volunteer to command the Legion, because of the Legion's current reputation as a quasi-elite force. Either way, it's not inspiring of confidence.

I suppose robotically is maybe the wrong way to put it. You simply follow the orders without questioning their morality or their sanity. You think about how best to do it, (and there's always a prescribed Legion method) but you stop questioning why you do it.

>>27945980
A caporal-chef is typically a specialist (think medic, mechanic, cook) etc who wants to stay in his job. It is possible but rare that a man progresses past this rank. Pay still increases with time served.
A sergeant is someone who wants to get into the command structure. He's an NCO, the CCH is not.
Sometimes a guy simply doesn't have the ability to pass the sergeant's course, even after years in the Legion. It may be mind-set or it may be French skills. (Officers don't like hearing their French language butchered by their Legionnaires, so they select the ones with the best French language skills to be their NCOs)

Promotion, by the way, does not work the same way as it does in the US where everyone gets promotions all the time. Promotion is rarer in the Legion and the French military, in general. You get promoted when your unit needs a new man of a given rank and you're best qualified. Plenty of Legionnaires go their entire contracts, sometimes multiple contracts at the rank of Legionnaire first class.
>>
>>27939790
>thinking shooting accuraccy matters.
>>
>>27939669
How is the gear there? Are you still being issued fucked up early 2000's leftovers?

If the budget was well spent I'm pretty sure you guys would have britkek tier gear, if you're not catching up already.
>>
>>27946761
I was in the youngest regiment, the 2e REG, so our gear was generally newer, and it's not all that bad. Some of it wasn't that great.

Of what we're issued, the sac a dos (rucksack) and sleeping bag, though, were of poor quality. I heard a lot of people complain about the boots, but I liked them. Maybe I have French feet. Most guys bought new packs, sleeping bags, and boots. A lot bought new knives.

There is a persistent myth that the Legion is perpetually under-funded and ill-equipped because of the attitude France has to a "bunch of criminal mercenaries". That's not true. We are completely integrated into the French Army and get everything they get.

Our stuff tends to be a little older because we are taught the value of fastidious maintenance. Perhaps that's a holdover from the Legion's days in Algeria.
>>
>>27946444
I met your COMLE last week, he did a presentation of the Legion for those of us who might choose the 1st REC and for general culture.
I'm not really fond of the undertones of paternalism and condescendance Legion officers tend to have when they speak of their men, as if you were slightly retarded misguided misfits.

Anyway, godspeed fellow Anon.
>>
>>27939669

I want to join in two years.

Do YOU personally recommend it?

Any tips of things to do before enlisting? (to succeed)

Did you get tortured by a sadistic Caporal?

Also PLEASE answer this.

I want to join either 13 DBLE or DLEM in Mayotte. Am I wasting my time?

Is 13 DBLE a good place to go? what about DLEM?

Should I just aim for 2 REP or 2 REI?

Do you recommend getting official qualifications in french before applying? just in case.
>>
>>27946842
I think we changed all our boots after our first weeks in Mali, if i remember properly. I seem to recall something about getting desert, temperate and cold weather models.
>>
>>27947081
OP basically answered all these questions earlier, man.
>>
Do you know this one Finnish guy in there?
>>
Did you get butsext?
Where is your baguette?
Are you scared of isis?
How much butsex did you get?
>>
>>27939669

Is the regiment in Mayotte as small and empty as it looks from outside?

If I make it in and wanto to apply to 2 REG with 0 engineering experience, do I have a feasible chance?

Do you recommend the Legion for a newcomer? My local country (Spain) is utter shit.
>>
>>27947166
>If I make it in and wanto to apply to 2 REG with 0 engineering experience, do I have a feasible chance?

Yes. Being assigned to an engineers regiment does not require any experience. You are taught everything you need to know. Get a better than average score on the IQ test and your chances improve.

As I understand the 2e REG has become more popular in recent years. When I was in, it was still considered a bit of a screwups' regiment.

>>27947143
we didn't call them baguettes. We called them "bread penises". That way we could at least pretend it was a big dick, even though we knew it wasn't. It's just something we did to make our lives a little more comfortable.
>>
>>27939669

Can you tell us why you went to the FFL?

No need for detail, just the motivation.

If I am looking for real military experience and my country doesnt offer it, would you recommend the FFL?
>>
>>27947081
>I want to join in two years.
good for you

>Do YOU personally recommend it?
to quote "Ronin" as we did earlier in the thread: "If there's any doubt, there's no doubt". If you don't already know why the Legion is for you, the Legion is not for you.

>Any tips of things to do before enlisting? (to succeed)
get in good shape. Run a lot. Run more. Get off 4chan and run.

>Did you get tortured by a sadistic Caporal?
The Legion calls it "instruction".

>Also PLEASE answer this.
>I want to join either 13 DBLE or DLEM in Mayotte. Am I wasting my time?
>Is 13 DBLE a good place to go? what about DLEM?
>Should I just aim for 2 REP or 2 REI?
You will be given your regimental assignment. You have no choice. Even if they say you have a choice, you don't. They're fucking with you for their own amusement. Focus on just getting in first before you start dreaming about your medals.

>Do you recommend getting official qualifications in french before applying? just in case.
It doesn't hurt to get a "Learn French in 30 Days" course. You do not need to speak French at all to get in.
>>
Whats your rifle and its setup? Do you have any choice in your issued weapon?
>>
>>27947237
>Can you tell us why you went to the FFL?

I had just completed my master's degree and started my career. I felt a sense of anxiety that I was just following a path that was laid out for me before I was even born. (go to school, start a career, get married, have kids, buy a house, die)

I felt the Legion was the furthest thing possible from that path and the last possible thing that someone like me would ever do. (I didn't want to join the US Armed Forces because I didn't feel any attraction to them. I looked at the Marines and nothing "clicked".)

So I got my affairs in order and bought a plane ticket to France.
>>
Silly question. I dont think much of it myself but here it goes:

Are you allowed to choose some gear like a watch, knife, sunglasses, multitool etc by yourself or by asking permission or does the Legion dictate everything?
>>
>>27947292
Do you now fluently speak French? Is it hard to learn? Are You enjoying it?
>>
File: philandjoaquinlaghing.gif (2MB, 427x327px) Image search: [Google]
philandjoaquinlaghing.gif
2MB, 427x327px
>>27947262
>Whats your rifle and its setup
FAMAS F1, set up for left-handed shooting.

>Do you have any choice in your issued weapon?
>choice
see pic
>>
>>27939669

Arret ton sketch giron de merde. An et demi et tu commence parler n'importe quoi.
A cause de connards comme toi notre institution parte en couille.

Deserte et fait un favor a notre famille.
>>
>>27947307
I spoke French pretty well going in, but no, it's not that hard to learn since you're in an environment of total immersion.

If you're an English speaker, they don't give you the French word then the English word for a thing. They tell you the French word, then they scream it at you until you until you're convinced you never knew the English word at all.

They will often pair a French-speaker with a non-French speaker in a buddy program. That guy is responsible for your learning. If you don't learn, he gets punished. In my case, I understated how much French I actually knew. (Saying, "Yes I speak a little French" doesn't exist. You either speak French or you don't.)

My buddy was an Algerian who actually spoke considerably less French than me, but he got credit for how "quickly" I learned words that, in fact, I already knew. We became good friends.

I have been out of the Legion for about four years now, having finished my contract, but I enjoyed parts of it very much. It was a very worthwhile experience.
>>
>>27947372

So you're not OP?

How many legionnaires are writing in this thread¿
>>
>>27947392
Just two, I think.
>>
File: French-Foreign-Legion-4.jpg (91KB, 660x438px) Image search: [Google]
French-Foreign-Legion-4.jpg
91KB, 660x438px
>>27947347

OUI CAPORAL-CHEF !
>>
>>27947395

Can I ask you if the FFL is a viable choice for someone that's looking for actual military experience?

I know that "if there's any doubt then there's no doubt" thing, but I dont agree.

I bet everyone had at least some little doubts before entering, and I have them too.
>>
>>27947372
The language courses are actually quite funny.

A bunch of guys who look like prisoners standing around outside in the cold while a sergeant slowly chants "je me rase" (I shave) and caporal solemnly pantomimes shaving his face. Then the "choir" repeats it back. Like a bizarre cult of hygiene.

One of the many times I thought to myself, "I think I've made a terrible mistake."
>>
File: legion.gif (2MB, 625x477px) Image search: [Google]
legion.gif
2MB, 625x477px
>>27947416
>I think I've made a terrible mistake
>>
>>27940690
>>27940115

What is difference of 13th Demi Brigade and other regiment? Does 13th is bigger than usual battalion/regiment or they've their own support (eng,armor etc etc unit)?
>>
>>27939669
is it really full of ex con trying to get a new ifentity?
>>
>>27947409
Well, it's a real military. We got guns and uniforms and everything. It depends on what you're looking for. You could get actual military experience joining the Icelandic Coast Guard. If you're looking for a glorious death defending a godforsaken hill from ten-thousand screaming Taliban fighters, I got bad news for you.

Actual military experience is mostly cleaning things.

We would joke "LĂ©gionnaire, tu es un volontaire servant la France avec balai et ramassette"
(Legionnaire, you are a volunteer, serving France with broom and dustpan, in place of "Honneur et Fidélité")
>>
>>27947049
>as if you were slightly retarded misguided misfits.
>as if

They actually are, mon ami.
>>
I've read they want people with military experience.

Does that apply to conscript training where you learn very little and do a lot of brainless shit?
>>
>>27947505
No, that's long since in the past.

It's true a whole lot of guys are using the Legion to re-start their lives, and the Legion takes advantage of that hunger.
It's also true that the Legion will accept guys who have a minor criminal history that may preclude them from military service in their home country. Small crimes like simple assault, vandalism, etc. Stupid shit. Murderers, sex offenders, drug dealers, etc are not accepted. Thieves are iffy. (Stealing is a huge, huge problem in the Legion.)

If you're wanted by the police, they'll hand your ass over.

If however, you're in and someday someone comes looking for you, the Legion will run interference you.
>Tom Smith? Nope. Never heard of him."
>No, that's him, right there. I'm looking right at him.
>You must be confused. That's Legionnaire Simmons.
>I have a picture! Look!
>Sorry, I honestly don't see the resemblance. I think you should leave.
>>
>>27947543
>I've read they want people with military experience.
Prior military experience is neither an advantage nor disadvantage when joining.

>Does that apply to conscript training where you learn very little and do a lot of brainless shit?
That's a pretty apt description of a lot of life in the Legion.
>>
>>27947508

Thanks.

I really do not want to an hero on a hill anywhere or think of that as realistic, I was just doubting because I do want to go on missions and get proper discipline and training, while doing cool (tough, I know) stuff.

In my country we aren't allowed to do shit and it's full of political correctness.

The way I see it the FFL treats you like shit but they actually use you to do shit, which is what I'm looking for.
>>
>>27947049
>I'm not really fond of the undertones of paternalism and condescension Legion officers tend to have when they speak of their men, as if you were slightly retarded misguided misfits.

The gap between Legion officers and enlisted it very wide. There's not much in common between the two. One group is defending their homeland, and the other are a bunch of mercenaries with questionable backgrounds who are loyal only to themselves.

Also, we ARE slightly retarded misguided misfits. Does ANYthing about the Legion sound like something a reasonable person would do?
>>
Did you deploy to any warzone? Did you ever encounter American troops? What did they think of you?
>>
>>27947632
I did encounter US Marines in Afghanistan.

For the most part, they were very chill about it. Two guys thought I was a traitor, which made no sense to me. ("If I were a traitor, we'd be enemies and I'd be shooting at you. Think about that...think harder.")

One of the Marine Lieutenants was actually a guy I'd gone to school with, so we had fun reminiscing. He told me about all the things he'd told his Marines about Legionnaires. The best one was "They don't like to be stared at." Big laugh.

When I got back to my unit, the other guys were conspiratorially whispering at me,
>How do you know that officer?
We went to university together
>You went to university?
Yeah.
>The fuck are you doing here?
>>
>>27947704

Kek
>>
>>27939669

What should I eat for breakfast?
>>
>>27942808
It is/was a penal legion. They do not work on professionalism and tacticoolness.
>>
>>27943075
So did you pick your new name or take the assigned one?
>>
>>27947861
I was near the back of the line, so I had time to think of one. I took my middle name and a variant spelling of my last name that, in French, would sound exactly like the way I pronounce my last name. It was easier for me to remember.

For the first couple of days a lot of the sleep-deprived recruits would occasionally forget their new names. That went about as well as you can imagine.

>LeGrand? LeGrand?! Where the fuck is LeGrand? (He screams as he's looking squarely at LeGrand.)
>...oh shit, that's me...Here, caporal.
>You forgot your own fucking name, you dumb motherfucker?

That guy got a hell of a beating.
>>
bump for honor and fidelity
>>
>>27947372
Do they let you hold a French passport after your term of service is up?
>>
>>27948578
Actually you can get it in three years if your commanding officer allows. I've never heard of anyone who actually does it.

After 1 year, you can resume going under your real name. Then, once you're discharged, you receive a Certificate de Bonne Conduite. (which says you were a good-behaving soldier.)

After that, you can apply for a French Passport.

You have to to it under your real name, though.
>>
>>27939790
>5'4", 280lbs
I'm sorry anon
>>
>>27948876
Obvious funposting, but he does bring up an interesting point:

Even if you're in excellent physical shape, the Legion will disqualify you if you don't look a certain way. You can do great on the beep test, you can do pull ups for days, you can climb a rope like a squirrel, but if you look flabby, they'll still send you packing.

Because they are so over-recruited, they reject nearly everyone and sometimes for pretty stupid reasons.

Also note that they are under no obligation to tell you why you failed.
>>
>>27939795
>Academi
Mein neger...unless i'm mistaken Academi jobs require US citizen to sign up.
>>
>>27943401
Lel I don't know why any competent army would allow a suprior the ability to strike his solider. It breeds resentment
>>
>>27948920
is that so? i heard the FFL is supposed to accept as many as they can and as long as they meet the reqs they are in
>>
>>27949022
When the Legion was its own branch of the military, stationed in Algeria and completely independent from the bulk of French command, it did whatever it wants.

Now, it's integrated into the French Army and there are size limitations. There are only so many regiments and they can't keep raising more. It would get too expensive.

So instead, they allow the Legion to maintain its brutal training and use the Legion as a sort of high-readiness/rapid-reaction force. The French Army is about 100,000 strong, but a little less than 8,000 in the Legion. When the French Army deploys, the Legion is guaranteed to be contributing troops.

>>27949014
yes, it does breed resentment, but it also breeds camraderie among the Legionnaires. The Legion doesn't care if you hate your superior officers as long as you do what they say.
Plus, the recruits are oftentimes from third world countries and aren't aware of their rights or who they can run away and complain to. So the Legion gets away with it and the rest of the French Army doesn't really care because it's not French citizens getting hurt and the Legion gets its job done.
>>
>>27949062
So that means that i should not be going blind into boot expecting to be accepted from the getgo? even if i look intimidating and i am in an "ok" physical condition?
>>
OP, please get a trip or some shit. Also, what happens if you desert? Do French authorities come after you, or do you get prosecuted in your home country?
>>
>>27949131
Not OP, but I think I can answer to that.
If you desert, the legion will not run after you. They've got enough motivated volunteers that they don't need to waste time trying to catch back some crummy deserter.
Your passport may be flagged as undesirable in France though. Consequences can be more serious for a French citizen.
>>
>>27949078
>So that means that i should not be going blind into boot expecting to be accepted from the getgo?
yes

>even if i look intimidating and i am in an "ok" physical condition?
ok, well, where to even start...

>>27949131
If you desert, the Legion will send their police after you. If you're caught, you spend some time in Legion jail (which is actually not that bad, all things considered) and then you resume your duties or are discharged. If you desert and you take a weapon, they will shoot you.
Deserters traditionally leave their weapon in a very obvious place for that reason.

If you're a deserter and the French police catch you, your wanted status will show up on their computer and they will helpfully deliver you back to the Legion.

If you desert and manage to escape back to your home, congratulations, you're right back where you started, but you can never visit France ever again because your shit is flagged.

Desertion is a tradition in the Legion just like anything else. In the old days in Algeria, the attitude was, "Go, and good luck in the North African desert. Also, those tribesmen out there probably won't realize you're not a Legionnaire any more."

Nowadays, if you desert, it means you're weak and not a team-player, and they don't want you anyway, but they're still not going to make it easy on you. Deserters who get caught spend some time in jail and then are discharged. Someone else who wants your spot can have it.

Mind you, I'm talking about real deserters, not the guys who came back from a weekend liberty too late or just wanted a day off. That's understandable.

That happened to me. I was on liberty in Paris and I missed my train. I was frantically calling back to them telling them that I was going to be late, but I was NOT deserting. When I got back (three hours late, by the way) I had to spend ten days in Legion jail and took a couple of beatings.
>>
>>27939669
>Sweet Home Alabama plays softly in the distance
>>
>>27949215
>>27949202
That's interesting, thanks guys.
>>
>>27947416
A note on the language:
If you don't speak French, make the effort to learn it.
Some guys go in and immediately cluster around their own countrymen and speak only French when they absolutely have to. As a result their French is shit and their prospects for promotion are effectively nil. This, for some reason is a problem English-speakers have.

The guys who commit to learning French and only speak French learn it much more quickly. Additionally, the senior guys and the officers are much more understanding and helpful if they know you're making the effort.

That's not to say you only learn French. You also learn how to curse like a motherfucker in about a dozen different languages. Before, I had no idea there were so many different ways to call someone a faggot.

Note: the Polish are shockingly vulgar.
>>
>>27939669
What does the Legion have for special operations teams? How hard is it to get into them?
>>
>>27949409
There are three groups:
The GCP, the GCM, and the PCG (formerly DINOPS)

The GCP is a parachute commando platoon, and they draw from all the paratrooper regiments in the French Army, in addition to the 2e REP.

The GCM is a mountain commando platoon, and they draw from the alpine regiments in the army, as well as the 2e REG for its combat engineering (demolition) needs. (The entire 2e REG is trained in mountain operations)

The PCG is extremely elite, as there are only about a dozen of them (not a dozen teams, a dozen men) and they are underwater demolitions guys. They are drawn from the 1e REG, being a regiment of combat swimmer-engineers.

To get into any of them you have to be at least a caporal, and have served at least one tour in a foreign theater, and be elite as fuck.

I tried out for the GCM when I made caporal, as you are expected to do (it shows proper initiative) but I didn't make it.
>>
>>27949512
I've read about the 2. REG. They're fucking hardcore. If I were to join that's the unit I'd like to join.

For those who don't know:
>They started off as a new unit full of screwups and some deserter wrote a book about how awful they were, so they re-molded themselves into a super-professional commando ops team.
>They're attached to a mountain brigade and immediately made an impression when they bettered the mountain assault course time by like an hour, beating the Alpine troops that trained them.
>>
How long is your contract?
>>
>>27950031
The first contract is five years. After that, you can renew you contract for up to another ten years, in increments as small as 6 months.

Once you've hit fifteen years of service, further service in the Legion is at the discretion of the Legionnaire's commanding officers.
>>
So when are you guys being deployed the middle east to go on crusade 9.0?
>>
>>27939669
If I joined, would I loose my US citizenship? I can't get a straight answer on this from anyone, I love the legion, but I don't want to be banned from coming back to my home state after years of service.
>>
>>27950424
No, US citizens are permitted to serve in the French Foreign Legion. You would not lose your US citizenship by joining, nor would you lose your US citizenship if you took French citizenship once your contract was done. You would have dual citizenship.
>>
>>27949014

Striking soldiers during training was common practice up until very recently when the whole BUT ITS NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT BAWWWWWWWWWWWW CRRYYYYYYYYYYYYY WHIIIIIIINNE bullshit got super popular.
>>
>>27950499
Political correctness has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of teaching effectively. If hot chamomile tea and gummy bears made men effective soldiers, then the armies of the world would give them that in a heartbeat.

The old thinking of "abuse makes them tougher, meaning better soldiers" is simply not true.

A lot of the stuff I saw and experienced (and in some rare cases dished out) is simply abuse, not training, not teaching. No one became a better soldier for it. I doubt anyone even learned anything.

In the Legion's case, it's a matter of unwillingness to change and permissiveness on the part of the French government. Additionally, the Legion's selectiveness means it can accept men whose mentalities specifically lend themselves to learning in that environment. That's why the rest of the French Army doesn't do it like we did.

We embrace the abuse as part of what makes us who we are. Our rucksacks full of rocks, our inadequate equipment, our brutal training, and our centuries' worth of quirks and traditions all feeds into a legend that fuels our self-belief which makes the Legionnaires what they are.
>>
>>27950499
It stopped because it's stupid as fuck and shows how little control your officer actually has. If the only way you can get your soliders to listen are respect you is by hitting them theb you arent a good leader. As far as it growing camaraderie no matter what kind of traning regiment any solider goes through in any country they are going to grow bonds together.
>>
>>27950560
>>27950569

All valid points but there are still situations where a good pop on the head can be a very good tool to teach someone something. Saying its NEVER a good idea is not the same thing as saying its ALWAYS a good idea.

Its the same way with raising children. If they do something totally in the wrong and out of control you beat that ass raw. You dont do it when they do small stupid shit. Moderation is key.
>>
Really enjoyed reading this thread FFL guys. I knew nothing about what the legion was or who they were. Good shit.
>>
>>27950606
Too bad soldiers generally do not do moderation, very well.

A swat on the fanny is fine for a child, but the problem with doing that to grown men is that you have to hit them harder and there's no real manual for when and how often to hit a recruit. If you hit one and just scream at another, resentment begins to settle in due to the unfairness.

In the American services, I believe they use far more psychological punishments, which can probably be applied with a more consistent method.

But it is what it is. Every class thinks the classes that follow them are weak and soft. The ancients who actually trained and fought in Algeria are like walking gods to us, until you step back and realize they're just doddering old men now.
>>
>>27950461
when you left the Legion did you come back to America or did you stay in France?
what was it like to leave?
>>
>>27950606
Just speaking from my experience it is NEVER a good idea. Currently us army 13b my whole unit is diverse (black anon myself) and the cultural differences is very widely different. Where some might be willing to take it others might straight up fight and try to kill you. Soldiering isn't raising a child especially combat mos it's coming together to get the shit done and try to get home alive. How can a sargent are LT expect his lower enlisted to watch his back if they fell like he is a piece of shit.

Simply saying there are way better and effective ways to discipline your soliders and show that you are in complete control.
>>
>>27950560
>The old thinking of "abuse makes them tougher, meaning better soldiers" is simply not true.
Case in point: The Canadians, the most polite people on the planet, actually manage to make decent infantry.
>>
>>27947704
That doesn't paint a very intelligent picture of marines.

Oh, wait, what am I saying? Hahahaha.
>>
>>27950682
I moved back home to the US. I resumed my career in networking software development. I've since gotten married, bought a house. I have a nice little life for myself.
I do miss it sometimes, but not really. When I left, I left because I wanted to leave and not come back.
>You sure you want to leave? You're really turning into sergeant material.

It's been weird because, despite being a veteran (of sorts) I don't qualify for any veteran's benefits. I don't have a veteran tag on my car. No veteran's discounts at stores. On those situations where I'm surrounded by US veterans, I typically keep quiet and pretend I never served because they tend to view me as a sort of freak rather than a fellow veteran. Instead of commiserating on our shared experience at war, I get bombarded with questions about the Legion.

>>27950706
>>27950756

It's important to also realize that, despite our impressive appearance, and competence on the battlefield, Legionnaires are actually extraordinarily undisciplined soldiers. Constant fighting, cliques, stealing, open disrespect of anyone who isn't older than you regardless of rank, petty sadism.
For some of these men, putting them to work constantly or putting them in harm's way is the only way to keep them contained.

Every Legionnaire may be my brother, but I fucking hate a lot of them.
>>
>>27950817
Addendum: When people ask me if I served, I tell them, "I fought."
>>
>>27950706
>black anon
sounds like a support group for cukcolds.
>>
File: 1390187862932.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1390187862932.gif
1MB, 280x210px
>>27950841
>Hi, my name is George, I'm 38 years old, and this is my first time speaking here. This gentleman here is Montavius and he fucks my wife.

>Hi George, Hi Montavius!
>>
>>27950706
I figure he's just trying to fulfill his own want to hit men obligated to not hit back.

Well, men and children. There's a nice cell for him somewhere, just waiting, I'm sure.
>>
>>27939723
>the training was pretty tough compared to that

I bet it was you REME cookhouse tosser
>>
>>27942892
I know that boat house too... they still keep that green old couch inside?
>>
>>27949215
>If you're a deserter and the French police catch you, your wanted status will show up on their computer and they will helpfully deliver you back to the Legion.

Don't forget, you're here forever.
>>
>>27951042
The desertion rate is estimated to be between 9 and 10%.
It is highest during instruction at Castel, when a lot of the guys realize they are simply not cut out for it.

Those first nights are the roughest. You're not quite yet calibrated to fall asleep as soon as you go vertical, so you lie awake and listen to guys sobbing, or masturbating. Or both, I suppose.
>>
File: IMAG0162.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0162.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 640x1136px
>>27939669
I'm an 11C in the US Army. Indirect Fire Infantry and want something else. Do you think they'd take an early 20s in good shape, deployed once, infantryman?
>>
>>27951112
All this desertion talk just reminds me about trying to leave 4chan.
>>
>>27951112
What about suicide? Is that a problem in the Legion like is it in the US?
>>
>>27940644
>They ask you a series of questions (translated into the language you're most comfortable in, of course) and they take down your answers. Questions with simple, mostly one-word answers, like, "what is your relationship with your mother?" Afterwards they examine your results and compare them with the answers given by exemplary legionnaires and guys who were complete fuckups. If you match the fuckups more closely, they reject you.

That's some Bladerunner shit.
>>
>>27940644
>The psychological examination
I never had this. The fat Polish gestapo was quite nice, asked me about my motivation, educational and work history, relationship status, any history of crime or drug use, etc. Took all of 10 minutes, left to do a criminal background check, came back and that was that. Other guys in my group said they were grilled pretty hard, but my gestapo interview was easy peasy.
>>
>>27951630
lol, that's part of the test. If you shoot the examiner after that question, you fail. Also, you go to prison.
>>
>>27951705
I joined in 2005. I had an interview with a doctor before going rouge, who asked me questions about if I ever felt depressed, suicidal, did I hate my family, etc, along with other questions about my medical history.

There were a few guys who failed here and got inapt permanent. One guy admitted to taking anti-depressants as a child, as I heard.
>>
File: 1357598273395.png (187KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
1357598273395.png
187KB, 500x323px
>Look up FFL requirements
>Must have BMI between 20-30
>Do calculations
>31 BMI
>>
>>27951802
Ah, I went in 2012. Didn't stay for too long, though; asked to go civil at the end of the farm, as I had spoken to enough Legionnaires and caporaux to get a picture of what the next 5 years would look like, so I decided to pursue a normal and successful life back home.

The one thing I learned was that getting any concrete and consistent information in the Legion is pretty much a lost cause. Hence why everyone's legion stories are different.
>>
>>27951880
>The one thing I learned was that getting any concrete and consistent information in the Legion is pretty much a lost cause

You had the balls to try and, importantly you had the balls to ask out instead of just deserting. A for effort, in any case.

I think there are two reasons for the differences in everyone's stories: 1. there is no real standard. The guys running the place more or less make shit up until they get to Castel and 2. the language thing. No one ever knows quite what's going on in the best of times and they don't bother explaining very well in French, let alone any other language.

I got the medical release for pre-selection confused with the contract and spent most of the time at Aubagne thinking I was already in.
>>
>>27951932
>A for effort
I bet you got participation trophies as a kid didn't you?
>>
>>27951970
Sure. The only kids who didn't get participation trophies were the kids who sat at home and didn't play team sports with the other children.

Surely, that wasn't you?
>>
>>27951932
>there is no real standard
That's what it seemed like. Everything felt very ad-hoc. I though the Canuck reserves were disorganized, but I guess I hadn't seen anything yet.

Leaving was a very good idea in retrospect, as now I have a high-paying job and a family. Still, glad I went, since the Legion is one of those things you have to experience for yourself to see if it's for you. If present me went back in time and told past me not to bother, I'd have told myself to fuck off.
>>
>>27952021
No. I just knew that if I lost I don't get anything.

Needless to say I never won that much either.
>>
>>27951970
Leaving everything and trying to join the Legion (let alone making it in) is something plenty of people talk about, but few do.

And in my case, it wasn't about winning our losing, but to determine whether I even wanted to play the game at all.
>>
>>27952175
Anything you have on your plate you finish it, brother. No matter how much you hate it.
>>
>>27952206
No. Not with this. If you decide to stick with it and your heart's not in it, you can get people killed.
>>
>>27952206
That's a fucking retarded philosophy. I joined when I was 24. Should I have spent the next 5 years of my life (the prime years of my life, no less) doing something I had no interest or desire to do? Especially given that I had alternative options lined up if the Legion didn't pan out?

If your finite lifespan is worth so little to you that you can afford to complete any uncertain venture you engage in, more power to you. But don't expect others to throw their years away for a principle.
>>
>>27952286
Don't worry about it. The wannabes are never short of grand proclamations of what makes the ideal Legionnaire. It's part of the reason that so few Americans (or Brits, for that matter) get in.
They come in with so many pre-conceived notions about what regiment they're going to join and which medals they're going to win. They are basically crushed under the weight of their own disappointments that they're not constantly being congratulated for picking such an adventurous path in life.

The third-worlders come in with two fully-formed ideas: it will be hard as fuck and they might get a chance to live in France instead of the Ivory Coast or some place.
>>
>>27952422
Also: for some of the, the basic legionnaire pay is just ludicrous, even more so considering that 90% of the time they don't even get to spend it in the initial years.
>>
>>27952440
That is very true. It's shit pay. I once started to calculate where I'd be financially if I'd stuck with my career instead of that five year break in earning. I stopped, it depressed me.

Fortunately I came out of college debt-free. I don't know what I would have done otherwise. Pay off my debts and then go? Perhaps I'd have been too "settled" at that point.
>>
>>27952506
I got a kick out of the fact that they made us pay out of pocket for our ID photos. And pay 80 euros for some shitty Nikes from the Aubagne shop prior to going to the farm, regardless of how amazing your running shoes might already be. Not only does the pay suck, but you also have to pay for shit other militaries cover...
>>
>>27952506
Oh, sorry. >>27952440 I didn't read all the way through your post. You're right. The guys from Africa or wherever looked at their first paychecks like they'd just won the lottery. The Western guys, on the other hand, at least there's going to be a good potential for savings, until you blow several thousand Euros on a single liberty to Amsterdam.
>>
>>27952529
You got Nikes? Legion's going soft...All our stuff was unbranded crap made by Le Coq Sportif.
>>
>>27952440
Their pay is the same amount as the minimum wage in France. 13% of French workers have to live with such a salary.
>>
>>27939790
Immune to 9mm
>>
>>27952545
Not him, but that's a reality everywhere in the French army. Either you make do with the crap that is issued (and the issued running shoes will only succeed at ruining your feet), or you pay out of your own pocket.

It's not unusual to hear that guys blow sums like 800 or more euros before a deployment just to get stuff like load carrying vests, or hell, before we switched uniforms to the FELIN gear, some units just collectively bought commercial uniforms and boots in order to avoid deploying with the 80's legacy stuff. It's started changing in the last years, but hell.
Sometimes it pains me to see photos of deployed troops in Africa, and remarking that like half of their gear was payed out of their own pocket.
>>
>>27952529
>you also have to pay for shit other militaries cover...

That sounds a bit like the USMC, as I hear it.
>>
>>27952584
>>27952545
>issued running shoes will only succeed at ruining your feet
Yeah, the ones they supplied for free were garbage. But guaranteed someone was getting a kickback for mandating that all engages volontaires must buy new runners at 80 a pop at the regiment store. Shit, when I was in CAPLE on my way out, the Russian c.chef in charge of stores offered to sell me some of my issued kit if I wanted to pick it up from him after he finished his shift. Little things like that make it seem like a less-that-professional military force.

Also, the issued "rangers" were fucking awful. We had 5 guys go to the medic with moderate to severe foot injuries by the end of the farm, one of whom got a medical pass and had to get switched to a future training section once he could walk again. I was lucky, since I only lost all feeling in my big toe. Such a stupid and preventable problem...
>>
>>27950663
US army basic training, at least the infantry OSUT I went through, is a very elaborate performance by the instructors that is incredibly effective at weeding out shit heads
>>
>>27952529
Nope, us army does that shit too.
>>
>>27940115
Non FFL but very respectful of the FFL anon here. 13th Demi is my favorite FFL brigade. It's sad to see them gone but I hope it is re formed. The battle of Dien Bien Phu is my favorite legion last stand which the 13th was in.
>>
>>27953336
> It's sad to see them gone
What the fuck are you on. It's been relocated to southern France and is now being reconstituted as an actual unit, instead of an empty shell with 70 permanent personnel and 200 on rotation.
Generally speaking, all the legion regiments are gaining a new combat company, starting this year.
>>
anyone have that picture of the famas with /k/ written on it in the Malian desert?
>>
>>27939669
how many times have you been raped by a slav?
>>
>>27953249
Really? That's shitty.
>>
>>27953336
>>27953396
So what will it become?
The move struck me as a shift from Snackbar Middle East to countering Putin's ambitions.
Officially the move takes place in 2016, is there any chance the Paris attack derails that move?
>>
>>27954838
No, none at all.
The 13 DBLE will be an infantry regiment. In its stead in the UAE we reopen the 5th Cuirassiers, which will have the same role the DBLE had, a support unit with a small permanent garrison. The new thing is that Leclerc regiments will do tours over there to train in the desert.

By the way OP, the COMLE was talking about the nationalities which comprise the Legion, and America (the whole continent) was like 15% of it, most of them Brazilians/South-americans. He said there weren't that many Americans (US) and that they didn't really fit in.
How is it in your experience ?
>>
>>27939669
I heard FFL offers lots of commando courses like the jungle survival/warfare with 3REI and you can pick them up no matter what regiment you are. Does doing them help as credentials to enter units like GCP and GCM?
>>
>>27955280

Not a Legionnaire myself but I'm considering joining.

"commando" courses seem more like a half assed brutal trip to the jungle. Of course I can't say how effective they are but they dont seem like, for example, one of those oper8tor Blackwater courses.

For what I've read for myself and in this thread I really doubt they help at all or very little.

My guess is you have to be a very special kind of himan being also with very special relations to even make it there. But again, as the ex-legionnaires here said, it's more random than it seems
>>
If I had a nasal septum operation done at some point and I still can't breathe 100% through my nose shoul I still try to apply?

Would they kick me off? Should I lie about it?

Same if I have cavus foot?

Are those reasons for not taking me?
>>
>>27939669
is that a tiger? if it is, my dad builds them
>>
>>27955541
Its an apache you white-flagged faggot
>>
>>27951817
Really? I'm like19.4.

Shit. Is that a true qualification?

Question for the FFL guys:

What's a good list of PT exercises online that actually match what you do/are expected to do in the FFL?

How old are the oldest guys who join?
>>
File: 2009_02_23_Legion_2.jpg (45KB, 470x316px) Image search: [Google]
2009_02_23_Legion_2.jpg
45KB, 470x316px
>>27947436

No terrible tortures

Just happy little instruction
>>
>>27955585
>PT
Run 10k, with hills, in a decent time. Get your 5k down to under 22 minutes at the very minimum. Practice chinups with good form. Do some swimming too, so you don't completely suck.

One guy on my farm was an Italian former army officer (at least that's what he claimed) who was 46. Which was very strange given that I thought they didn't accept anyone over 40. Not sure how he made it in. Probably either connections in the Legion, or maybe he was a tactical genius with Solid Snake levels of experience, because he sure as shit wasn't physically capable.
>>
Bump for great justice.
>>
File: 1447532430546.jpg (10KB, 291x320px) Image search: [Google]
1447532430546.jpg
10KB, 291x320px
Those feels when left British Army because no more deployments, now I'm bored working an alright paying civilian job.

I just want to deploy over and over and over again while saving all my dolla.

Luckily i got two Afghan desployments in 5 years.

Garrison life can suck a dick, but i miss my Army mates, although basically everyone i know who was serving has left now, because who the fuck stays in the army during peacetime?
>>
>>27955649
Oh, and it's not PT, but probably the most useful piece of advice:

Learn French. Seriously, do it. You don't need university level French, just conversational. Not only does it improve your chances, but it also gives a huge advantage in that it's one less thing to deal with while you're in basic. So many guys had needless difficulties because of the language barrier. Don't be a lazy fuck like them and wait for the Legion to teach you French, because you will most likely have a shitty time of it.
>>
How often do you deploy on peacekeeping/conflict missions in the legion?

Can you volunteer to deploy even if your home unit is not planned to deploy?

In the British Army i was able to deploy with another unit even though my original unit was staying in the UK.
Thread posts: 216
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.