[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so i heard the army is adopting this thing to replace the m249

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: m27_iar.jpg (79KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
m27_iar.jpg
79KB, 800x450px
so i heard the army is adopting this thing to replace the m249 after the marines did the same. can someone explain to me how this thing fills the role of an LMG?
>>
The theory is that it is more accurate than a SAW thereby being just as suppressive but than again I would prefer more bullets just in case.....
>>
>>27913454
It takes the "automatic rifle" approach to LMGs, placing maneuverability and ability to keep up with the fireteam of more importance than sustained fire. It can still fire at a high rate, just not as much as a beltfed.

Basically an American RPK.

Also, I highly doubt it is replacing the M249, but instead supplementing it in use. Just like with the USMC, it's not like they tossed away all their M249s, they just now have more TO&E flexibility per combat environment.
>>
They are not replacements to the SAW, they are supplementary.
>>
>>27913454
Why aren't these ever photographed with big ass casket or drum magazines?
>>
>>27913783
Because most 5.56 drums suck.
>>
>>27913783
i've only ever seen one photo of this thing with those xboxhuge double-drum mags.
>>
>>27913839
MAC reviewed a really nice 50 round drum, cant seem to recall the name but he liked it
>>
>>27913783
>>27913855
Quad stack mags are not reliable. Surefire tried to hype them up, but everyone who tested them found them to have constant problems.

>>27913902
http://www.xproducts.com/x-15-223-5-56x45-skeletonized-drum-magazine

The pricetag on this is absurd
>>
>>27913486
/Thread
>>
>>27913902
>>27913911
>Those cutouts

It'll be like the Chauchat all over again.
>>
>>27913486
It is doing some replacing. Many 249's are worn the fuck out. I hope they have enough 249's and 240s available because I lack confidence in a m27's ability to lay down the supressive fire needed for COIN.
>>
As I was getting out of the marines some units were completely dropping the saw for these things, I got to play around with it a little bit, personally I think its absolutely stupid, the point of the saw was suppression not accuracy and replacing your mag every 30 rounds instead of a 200 round belt is just stupid, they should of bought new saws or replaced them with those super small 240's
>>
>>27913783
They take up a lot of space on your carrier/chest rig. You could fit 2 double mag pouches for a total of 120 rounds for the space of a 100 round drum mag pouch.
>>
>>27914767
they could have got the mk48 which is an m249 chambered in 7.62

honeslty as a 91f working on the m240 was really easy they almost never broke, the m16s did a bit but they were old as fuck a2's, the saws would break down regularly.

The thing is i cant imagine having to try to fix a rifle that people use like its an lmg my god the horror.
>>
>>27914816
>working on the m240 was really easy they almost never broke
Why doesn't FN just make a M240 in 5.56?
>>
The IAR follows the train of though that accurate aimed fire is more suppressive against hardened fighters than pure weight of fire.
>>
File: 2j4twe01[1].jpg (81KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
2j4twe01[1].jpg
81KB, 800x600px
>>27915336
The Brits already tried that and it didn't work out. The L86 ended up in a DMR role before being relegated to the armory in favor of the L129A1
>>
>>27915302
it would be a waste honestly.

it loses a lot of its power once you get it out to a decent range.
>>
>>27914816
You don't replace a SAW with a weapon chambered in 7.62mm, though. That defeats the point of a *light* (aka service rifle caliber) automatic weapon integrated into a fireteam. Maybe replacing the M249 with an Mk46 is more a productive line of thought.
>>
>>27915406
It's almost as though a rifle that jams constantly is a terrible choice for a SAW role.
>>
>>27913454
Didn't they say they were "supplementing" the SAW with this as an excuse to get new rifles?
>>
>>27913486
But it's german...
>>
>>27913454
>so i heard the army is adopting this thing
the Army had stated it would not adopt the M27 back when the Marines began fielding it, id be interested to see your source on this because i'd like to know why the Army has changed its mind pic somewhat related
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.