[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does conventional military action against insurgent style

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: AP_isis_kab_150211_1_12x5_1600.jpg (150KB, 1600x669px) Image search: [Google]
AP_isis_kab_150211_1_12x5_1600.jpg
150KB, 1600x669px
Does conventional military action against insurgent style groups work?

Discuss
>>
When collateral damage isn't an issue, sure. When hands are tied by insane ROE and politicians, not so much. just my opinion but what the fuck do I know.
>>
>>27902650

The US can prevail because we are the US. But it really makes shit more difficult. I should have 2 kills overseas but I only have 1 because of fucking ROE's.
>>
Not if you don't kill all of them, and I do mean all of them. How likely is that? Exactly.

Then again, dumb Muslims aren't the only insurgents anyone has ever seen. Opposing authority isn't necessarily a bad thing.
>>
>>27902792
>When collateral damage isn't an issue, sure.

Then it doesn't work because then you lose the support of both the local population and the domestic population and your political goals can never succeed.
>>
All of a sudden America is pro gun .
And want to destroy isis. Wen are the American people are gonna wake up this has been going on for years. Now people wanna talk shit fuck you and fuck isis
>>
Killing them? Sure. The U.S. military is great at that.
>>
File: 1407289599998.png (11KB, 390x470px) Image search: [Google]
1407289599998.png
11KB, 390x470px
>>27902650
>massive fucking neckbeard sticking out from his balaclava
>>
Let's me ask you this how many of you able bodied men are gonna enlist wen isis attacks merrica?
>>
File: a10-1335.jpg (42KB, 600x414px) Image search: [Google]
a10-1335.jpg
42KB, 600x414px
>>27902650
You can't wage conventional warfare on insurgents. i.e. the populace like you would a government.

Exmples... soviets vs. afghans, US vs. afghans, Rhodesians vs. niggers ect.

If your intentions are unpopular enough to turn an entire population against you and produce insurgents, then there's no point in being there. You won't win by doing 'hearts and minds' attitudes to groups while simultaneously killing off their countrymen.

Of course, the Russians did manage to keep control of Chechnya when they tried to breakoff, but then again they tend to slaughter those that don't agree without political repercussions.
>>
So who's gonna kill isis anytime soon?
>>
>>27902875
That was back when it was conventional vs conventional, then it devolved into an insurgency that's never ended.
>>
>>27902650

US airstrikes and supporting the kurds/other militia groups effectively halted ISIS in Iraq and now the kurds are making a lot of gains. Its amazing the short memory everyone on here seems to have, seems like just yesterday there were the daily "ISIS is moving towards baghdad" threads with maps and everything. Its almost like you want to ignore the successes to keep believing your own narrative.
>>
>>27902868

>how many of you able bodied men are gonna enlist wen isis attacks merrica?

Shieet, if that happens they'll just hit the major cities and the lowest forms of life reside there. I'm going to look after my family first and let the city folk take care of the problem.
>>
>>27902650
from all the shit i seen about vietnam on youtube and discovery channel best thing that works is having a hearts and minds war then looking after the civilians and the terrorists/gurella army don't work
>>
The only way for an insurgent force to be defeated is the hearts and mind approach. You need to effectively get the population on your side and provide adequate protection to those who support you and are willing to fight the insurgency.

Insurgent groups gather support through fear and often try and persuade a population through force or by changing public view on the military fighting them.

An example of this was when vietnamese insurgents would go to civilian settlements and fire at US patrol boats causing a firefight that would lead to the killing of a lot of "innocent" civilians. This kept the people from trusting the troops as it showed that not only can they not protect them but they will do them harm as well.

Its not hard to convince un-educated rice farmers same goes for dirt farmers
>>
>>27902836
Unless you're Russia, and can displace entire native ethnicities free, no drawbacks.
Slav OP pls nerf.
>>
>>27902824
I should have 3 kills but I only have 2. I am 50% better than you.
>>
>>27902650
Like >>27903129 said, hearts and minds. This should include creation or implementation of the fortified village scheme as well.
And a proper, systematic destruction of the insurgents base of support, whether through violence, political, social or economical means.
Destruction of insurgent bases, camps, munition and food caches in the country of operation AND surrounding countries.
Destruction of insurgent moral through psychological warfare, propaganda, encouragement of defections, and total dominance on the battle field I.e. no survivors, relentlessly hounding insurgents.
Successfully fighting the insurgents using appropriate tactics (conventional tactics against an unconventional foe will not work, a military has to be just as unconventional as the insurgents/guerillas themselves), see Southern African bush wars (with Rhodesia, South Africa, Portugal to a certain extent), Malayan Emergency, ANZACs in Vietnam, certain U.S. tactics in Vietnam.
Have a solid base of support at home and abroad. Most wars against insurgencies and guerillas fail because public support falters and fails, and international opinion can be turned against the country fighting the Insurgency/guerilla war (see Vietnam, Southern African bush wars, Iraq and Afghanistan).
The willingness to fight on and accept future losses for the end goal prize of defeating an insurgency. Moral needs to stay high and remain high!
>>
>>27902650
No.
>>
>>27902650

Yes, if you ignore the so-called "rules of war" and "war crimes". Just bomb everyone. If everyone is dead, they cannot fight.
>>
>>27905313
This is stupid. You have no idea of public opinion, both local and abroad do you? Yes, let's bomb everyone in Iraq.
Oh, they're all dead now, why is everyone else in the Middle East angry and taking up arms against us? Let's bomb them all too.
Oh, they're dead as well, why is the rest of the world angry at us? We didn't just cause a mass refugee influx from that region did we ? We didn't just damage the economy by taking out those contributing nations did we?
Honestly, anyone who says "Kill em all" is retarded and doesn't understand the ramifications of such actions. Ripple effects mutha fuckas, that's why there's so much shut today.
>>
File: 1442233619432.jpg (37KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
1442233619432.jpg
37KB, 500x360px
>>27904515

Depends on how you look at it.

If I'm 1 for 2, and your 2 for 3... I'm at 50% and you're at 66.6%. So that'd be 16.6% better, not 50%.

But then again you didn't actually kill anyone overseas, you just think you're clever and masterbateing me.
>>
>>27902650
motherfucking katana stuck in the ground to the right of the middle guy
>>
>>27902836
Lol.

Killing off the natives and straight up annexing their land and literally mass raping them into assimilation via hordes of colonists is a tried and true strategy.

Not many do it now because they lack the balls, despite that most countries in the world benefit from their ancestors' horrific tactics to this day.

War crimes are retarded.
>>
I always thought you either leave or kill everything as regards to your question
>>
File: image.png (44KB, 200x201px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
44KB, 200x201px
>target everything to do with electricity
>destroy food and water and all industry they might have
>let them starve
>everyone who tries to play the refuggee, walks into nice placed landmines and machine gun nests
>drop off contaminated food after 4 weeks
>the dudes with the guns will eat it first
>make the poison subtle
>roll in 4 weeks later and mow down starving and sick fighters
>gather surviving woman and children
>adult men get shot into face
>deport all the people a few thousend kilometers away to siberia
>indoctrinate them and force religion out of them
>train them
>repopulate their barren wasteland 15 years later with the now brainwashed people
>>
>>27908211
the real enemy is Saudi Arabia, most of the finance and all of the Wahabi sect (ultra hard line islamists) is coming from there, we should be setting up spy rings in that country to monitor what is going on there, we need to start eliminating as many hard line imams as possible, make it look like accidents or illness, also we should use psycological ops on people who attend hardline mosques, infect their animals with sickness, sabotage their businesses and spread rumours that it is because they do not believe in peace, muslims by their very nature are superstitious people and we need to prey on that more, we need to secretly promote and fund moderate imams and make it look like their followers are doing better than hard liners, all this must be done covertly in order to divert islam from it's present course.
>>
>>27905563
Liberal babby as fuck.

You don't have to give a shit about public opinion if all the population is shit scaredless from brutal retaliations and ethnic cleansing..

If you are powerful enough no one will give enough of a fuck to intervene. See genocides in the Middle East and Africa ongoing right now along with the Russian and American interventions in Checnya and Vietnam respectively.
>>
>>27908259
The real enemy is the elites in the USA/europe/israel who defend & enable saudi arabia
While importing tens of millions of foreigners since they hate their own citizens
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.