[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know I'm not the only one who religiously cleans their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (58KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 600x450px
I know I'm not the only one who religiously cleans their guns after shooting. I see my handgun as a tool and treat it as such, but I also keep it cleaned and oiled.

I recently went shooting with my buddy who's handgun (Glock 19) was filthy. He said he "enjoys" the gritty trigger pull and has no interest in cleaning his gun completely. He has the same idea that his gun is a tool, but differs in that he doesn't care to keep it clean.

Every so often I will take my gun down to the bones and clean every part.

What do you think /k/?
>>
>>27584441
>Every so often I will take my gun down to the bones and clean every part.
>What do you think /k/?
i do the same thing and i've never had a problem.
>>
>>27584441
Modern handguns don't need to be cleaned often. Most compulsive cleaners, like you, probably do more harm than good to the weapon.
>>
>>27584506
Harm? How could you do harm to the gun?
>>
I bent the spring on the slide catch reinstalling it once after a detail strip.
I'm not fanatical anymore about cleaning but that was the only problem i had.

These days I think it's best to just field strip it and maybe rinse the action with oil occasionally. I maintain the gun but rarely detail strip anymore, I think it does more harm than good, more changes to damage a small piece, scratch something or strip a screw, whatever. I just wipe the frame and slide down, clean the barrel and lube now.
I will say I do remove the cylinder to clean the revolver after every shoot.
>>
>>27584587
I assume he means something along the lines of "using abrasive or other chemicals" that would be harmful to a gun, but he's just strawmanning for no reason.
>>
>>27584617
I can understand that. Not necessarily harming the gun from cleaning, but opening up the possibility of ruining something in the gun.
>>
>>27584617
Summed it up pretty well. There just isn't a point to cleaning them all the time. Gun is fine. If it's malfunctioning then sure but why mess with it? Modern guns don't run better when detail cleaned and one could even argue that grit and grime is good for smoothing them out since surfaces are naturally polished by the fine abrasives that accumulate. It's your gun so what the fuck ever but you're wasting your time and opening the door to fucking things up for no reason other than being a sperg.
>>
>>27584506
>probably do more harm than good to the weapon

here's your cracker, parrot

Cleaning machinery doesn't harm it. You don't need to detail strip the gun every time, but if you shoot a lot you do need to occasionally. By the time you have corrosion or pitting on the visible pieces, those small springs and internals are already fucked.

As for "compulsive cleaning", basic takedown and wiping the residue off, then lightly oiling, is what most people mean when they talk about cleaning a gun after shooting. Nothing about this is damaging.

People like the guy OP is talking about are just lazy.
>>
>>27584587
Loosening pin holes meant for annual takedown, for ex.
>>
File: 20151016_074258.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151016_074258.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
cleaning is overrated
>>
>>27587135
I couldn't do it
>>
>>27584735
This.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.