[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1841

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 712
Thread images: 75

File: 1456378501374.png (469KB, 1200x1154px) Image search: [Google]
1456378501374.png
469KB, 1200x1154px
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

Previous thread: >>17576239

This thread is for the discussion and learning of Japanese with raw VNs, LNs, Jdrama, anime and manga.
If you have no interest in otaku media or want to request a translation, this is not the thread for you.
Remember to sage!
>>
I hate to be told that I should chose a kanji deck that I like or fits me better. So what is, in your opinion, the ultimate kanji deck?
>>
File: がんばって.jpg (52KB, 638x346px) Image search: [Google]
がんばって.jpg
52KB, 638x346px
あのんをしんじるあたしをしんじて
>>
>>17592961
眼鏡が口に見える
>>
>>17592949
この僕が他の行き先をなくしてここに生息することになったからである
僕は何の取り柄もないゴミ人間である
関わるものを全部台無しにしてしまう前提の
居なくなった方のいいスレッド殺害者
>>
もうすぐこのスレもおしまいだ爆笑
>>
ドロシーってどこのくにのなまえなの

うぃざーどおぶオズのドロシーから

アメリカのいんしょうがあるんだけど
>>
>>17592914
The one you make because it has things that comes up in what you read and listen to.
>>
>>17593192
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_(given_name)
>Dorothy is a female given name. It comes from Greek Δωροθέα (Dōrothéa) meaning "God's Gift", from δῶρον (dōron), "gift"[1] + θεός (theós), "god".
ドロシーは女性の名前. 由来はギリシャ語の「神様からのプレゼント」と意味するΔωροθέα「ドロセーア」という言葉。それは「δῶρον」 (ドーロン、贈り物)と「θεός」(セーオス、神)から為したもの。

へたにしてちゅうとはんぱなごほんやくですけど
>>
googleしてくれてありがとう
>>
>>17592914
The Tae Kim one with ~800 words
>>
Is it possible I'm not smart enough to learn Japanese? There has to be below average intelligence Japanese people, and they learn it somehow.
>>
I'm not well versed in sex position, Is 対面騎乗位 the same as cowgirl ?
>>
>>17593502
if you have to ask the answer is yes
people learn it because they live there among people who use it every day
unless you have that kind of input which is pretty hard for a gaijin to get youre always going to be stuck at a level of competency different from a japanese person forever
>>
妹は不死者

DJT冗談
>>
>>17593502
I just keep telling myself that it isn't a race. Sometimes words pop up in my anki that I get so stuck on that I don't hit good for days. When I'm reading, I catch myself looking up the same words over and over, even if it appears twice in one sentence it happens. And grammar will probably keep being a huge stumbling block for years. But hell, dude, I wanna learn so I gotta keep trying.
>>
I notice a lot of beginner courses/books teach you to ask how expensive something is/understand money amounts. Are there lots of stores that don't have price tags on things?
>>
平等と公平は

きわめてこんどうさせやすく

はなはだべつのものであるから

つかうものはそのいみを

しんちょうにつかいわけなければいけない
>>
>>17593502
>>17593625
Its not a race, but people don't want it to take forever, so they'll question the time it takes them.
Of course geniuses will exist, have fantastic memories and are swiftly able to grasp patterns and exercise mastery long before others.
I think its a case of people failing into their own little expertise syndrome regarding their own native language; its seen as an everyday, common sense thing.
Except its a great deal of knowledge acquired over a lifetime of exposure. The tools we have assembled here are afford a pace that far exceeds necessitating that amount of time. It's just hard to accept how much we already know as being important.
>>
費用がすくなく機構がすぐれている不平等で不公平な制度は善です

あたしたちはそれを平等と公平の名の下に悪であると扇動されてはなりません

きをつけてねおにいちゃん
>>
殺さない、殺さぬ、殺さず、殺さざり、殺そう、殺さむ、殺さん、殺さむず、殺さまし、殺さじ、殺される、殺さゆ、殺さる、殺させる、殺さしめる、殺さす、殺さしむ、殺さまほし、殺さふ、殺さば、殺さで、殺し、殺した、殺しつ、殺しぬ、殺したり、殺しき、殺しけり、殺しけむ、殺します、殺したい、殺したがる、殺したし、殺しそうだ、殺しやがる、殺しはじめる、殺しだす、殺しつづける、殺しおわる、殺しすぎる、殺しこむ、殺しきる、殺しあう、殺しまくる、殺しそこなう、殺しなさる、殺しうる、殺しかねる、殺しやすい、殺しにくい、殺しがたい、殺しづらい、殺しがちだ、殺して、殺しても、殺したり、殺したって、殺しながら、殺しつつ、殺す、殺すらしい、殺すらむ、殺すらし、殺すめり、殺すなり、殺すべきだ、殺すべし、殺すまい、殺すまじ、殺すと、殺すとも、殺すが、殺すけど、殺すから、殺すし、殺すようだ、殺すみたいだ、殺すやうなり、殺すなり、殺すごとし、殺すの、殺すに、殺すを、殺すのに、殺すので、殺すものの、殺せば、殺せど、殺せども、殺せ
>>
>ヒールの辛さを知らない女
>ビールの辛さを知らない女

にほんごっておもしろいねおにいちゃん
>>
I don't understand how なんだ is used.

他人なんだから

What does なん add to this sentence?
>>
>>17594089
read a grammar guide
>>
>>17594099
not reading a whole grammar guide for one grammar note. I've figured out enough on my own and I don't have time for that.
>>
>>17594122
well then i guess it's because you're not reading a grammar guide
>>
Is there a certain connotation with あたまがよくない? I was told it was pretty rude, more so than just calling someone not smart
>>
>>17594099
nty I prefer a textbook because its written by actual professionals who can speak Japanese--not Tae Kim
>>
>>17594089
maybe learn how to use google
though just a lil tip dont search nanda because youre not gonna get what youre looking for here
anyway good luck with google the official japanese sponsor of djt
>>
>>17594177
well yea I obviously already tried that.
Either way I figured it out. I'll probably never return since you guys were a bunch of circle jerking self important cucks.
I already understood what のだ conotates as I just didn't realize んだ was an extension of that.
>>
>>17594145
That's why you read Sakubi
>>
>>17594214
hey man i wish you the best and its a good idea not to return not because of anything you posted but like because this isnt the place to construct real understanding
>>
>>17594134
あのんはあたまのよくないフレンズなの?
>>
>>17594299
多分
>>
Why in the fuck does this language have so many synonyms for words that don't need fucking synonyms like husband, wife, house, name, etc and how am I supposed to know when to use which one? It doesn't help that to make compound words in English we just combine words together but these people come up with something ENTIRELY DIFFERENT!
>>
>>17594322
Why in the fuck does this language have so many random letters for words that don't need fucking them like though, high, through, knife, etc and how am I supposed to spell it when I hear it? It doesn't help that to spell in Japanese we just write each sound to kana but these people come up with something ENTIRELY DIFFERENT!
>>
>>17594322
casual/familiar, not ones own/common and then maybe strictly legal and honorific titles I can see manifesting
its not a big deal
>>
File: 1467486204184.jpg (163KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1467486204184.jpg
163KB, 960x720px
Reminder not to fall for the Anki and grammar study memes.
>>
File: 1488867778122.jpg (546KB, 979x832px) Image search: [Google]
1488867778122.jpg
546KB, 979x832px
>>17594401
what happens if I did and I can now read a lot of japanese? is there any way to undo this
>>
>>17593502
>Is it possible I'm not smart enough to learn Japanese?
No. Unless you can't even understand your native language properly, you have no excuses. The only people who get to say "I'm just not good at languages" are people with mental disabilities.
>>
File: 1503169035523.jpg (26KB, 283x314px) Image search: [Google]
1503169035523.jpg
26KB, 283x314px
>>17594401
but what if the memes helped me?
>>
File: 1413587984887.jpg (100KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1413587984887.jpg
100KB, 500x500px
>>17594423
Are they memes if they help?
>>
File: 1469113259165.png (278KB, 706x412px) Image search: [Google]
1469113259165.png
278KB, 706x412px
考えすぎる子ですね
参加します
>>
File: 1502397993289.jpg (71KB, 600x720px) Image search: [Google]
1502397993289.jpg
71KB, 600x720px
>>17594431
What makes a meme a meme?
>>
>>17594309
でもあのんとはなすとたーのしー
>>
File: ?.jpg (5KB, 199x253px) Image search: [Google]
?.jpg
5KB, 199x253px
わからないの?
>>
File: 64752464_p0.jpg (244KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
64752464_p0.jpg
244KB, 600x600px
>>17594488
もちろん
>>
Is it a very bad idea to learn every words that has kanji associated with them through kanji, even if they are regularly written with hiragana? Like >>17594501
>>
>>17594401
Yeah, it's better not to even look stuff up, just stare at walls of kanji all day until you magically start learning to understand japanese. gomenasai anon
>>
>>17594525
Is it bad to learn how to drive a manual car if there are so many automatics around?
if you come up against a manual, you're fucked
>>
Can someone explain me what's going on with the 米 kanji? In the app I'm using to study it says it's rice/USA (in the app doesn't say America but USA in this case), but adding 南 on it as 南米 it becomes south America. I understand that USA is referred commonly as America but don't they use アメリカ to refer to USA? Was the guy who made the app smoking some shit or both are used? How should I refer to America (country) and America (continent)?
>>
>>17594536
America can be both 米国 or アメリカ. 米 on its own is usually rice/こめ
>>
亜米利加最強
世界支配者ナンバーワン
>>
File: 1504469726285m.jpg (72KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1504469726285m.jpg
72KB, 1024x682px
I think I'm not making any progress even though I read on a regular basis.
People told me it's fine "if I get the gist of it" and I do 95% of the time, but I don't improve that way or at least it feels like I don't.

I read slow as fuck and there are bits and pieces I don't understand here and there.
Like I get what is said but there might be some little kana word or grammar piece I don't get.

I think I need to go for 100% comprehension in order to get better.
What do you think?
>>
>>17594559
Look up words and add them to your mining deck if you can't remember them just by looking up. Do the same with grammar pieces.
>>
>>17594547
Thanks. Weird that rice+country would be USA instead of Japan or China.
>>
>>17594559
If you think so, then go for it. In my opinion one should trust one's own intuition when it comes to finding the best way to learn
>>
>>17594559
You should always be aiming for as much comprehension as possible. It is fine if you get the gist of what's being said/what you're reading, but you constantly have to challenge yourself into understanding it more. The more time that passes the faster you'll be at reading, or at least it works that way, just make sure to always do a conscious effort instead of falling into mental stagnation with no intention to improve.

Just expose yourself with no fear and look up shit/use google, then try to keep those things in mind for as long as possible.
>>
>>17594567
Yeah but it doesn't really mean rice in that context, it's just a random kanji that has been assigned the meaning of america, like 英 is for britain and 独 is for germany for example.
>>
>>17594577
Ok, got it. I thought they all had relation to the kanji meaning since 日本 (first country I believe most learn in kanji) seems to have some semblance with the country. Thanks for clarifying.
>>
>>17594501
あなたってホントウにサイテイだわ

ロジャースミス
>>
Fun fact: 魚 is not a member of the set that is 肉. Fish is not made of meat according to Japanese people, they are separate things. At least culinarily.
>>
>>17594664
Fish and meat are two different things, yes. Is it not so in English culinary tradition?
>>
>>17594664

As it should be. Fish meat is basically a vegetable.
>>
>>17594525

The only downside as far as I can ascertain is that you might come across as a bit of a tryhard fancypants if you overuse kanji when hiragana would normally be used.
>>
>>17594705
>>17594709
You heathens. There is no difference between land animal meat and sea animal meat. It is both the flesh of animals. They just taste a little bit differently but no more than chicken tastes different than beef for example.
>>
>>17594719
Ah, that's fine. I already come across as a tryhard fancypants when speaking in my mother tongue, due to autism. Wouldn't want to break the consistency.
>>
I'm really sorry to be annoying, but I'm reading something and three sentences back-to-back are confusing me. If I'm stuck on a sentence then I try to rely on the next sentence and/or the situation's context, but both are failing me because so much can be applicable in this certain situation.

それよりカバーできる場所探してた。。。
This is annoying because in this situation, 'searching for somewhere to cover something' and 'leaving the cover to look for something' are both applicable. できる and 探してた in their respective tenses are also throwing me off.

お前ってそーだよなー
I feel this sentence's meaning could change depending on above.

やべ今出れねーじゃん
Again, I'm kinda fucked over by context in this sentence. I learned through searching that 出れ can mean answering your phone (and the character's phone is indeed beeping), but people outside are also coming in and it might jeopardise them leaving the room they're in. 'やべ' reinforces the idea that it's dangerous to leave, but someone's phone going off isn't all that dangerous.

Sorry for rambling, I really am trying.
>>
>>17594709
considering fish might aswell be plants floating in water

yeah
>>
質問があります

>>17593670
>>17593928
よめる?
>>
>>17594719
>that one cunt that writes する as 為る

for WHAT purpose
>>
陰気な女の子とセックスしたい
後で彼女をいじめたくてお腹を蹴りたくてどんな苦しい顔をするかと見たくて・・・彼女のことが大好きからさ
そんな子なんてあらへんけどな~
>>
File: shocked loli on a horse.jpg (37KB, 292x309px) Image search: [Google]
shocked loli on a horse.jpg
37KB, 292x309px
>>17595353
>>
>>17595366
僕がずっと前から壊れちゃったから少し壊れた子を見つければ彼女をちゃんと壊ればええわ~
>>
File: 1212.png (26KB, 336x109px) Image search: [Google]
1212.png
26KB, 336x109px
Can anyone help me identify the Kanji here?
>>
I started to learn Kanji with Anki today, using the 2k/6k deck. I had to limit the number of new cards to 5 and do extra repetitions, because there's no way I remember stuff that I only see once a day, even if I'm shown it ten times in a row.

Any tips for how to set this up better? Custom practice seems weird. Will I get used to learning this? Numbers give me brain cancer with two different pronunciations depending on the usage.

I did 20-25 kana a day before this, so I'm a bit surprised by how much trouble I'm having with this.
>>
>>17594889
Dude, what's the context? I don't really think it's 'searching for somewhere to cover something', but rather that he's looking for someplace to hide.
>>
>>17595503
Honestly, numbers are pretty low priority if you're focusing on learning for your hobbies. Just make sure to get their meaning right and at least one pronounciation. Real words are what's important.
Also, starting to read as soon as possible helps a lot since you'll see lots of Kanji in actual use.
Something with Furigana like Jump manga would be probably best to start out.
>>
>>17595503
You might benefit from Custom Study - > Review forgotten cards. I do the daily study session and then two 'review forgotten cards' sessions (set to three days of forgotten cards) every 24 hours. I've gone through sessions where no cards are sticking, I take a few hours' break, do 'Review forgotten cards' and the constant repetitions help it stick.

Just because you're struggling now doesn't mean you'll struggle with every study session. Most people find the beginning to be the hardest, give yourself time.
>>
>>17595539
This might be a stupid question, but how does anki determine which cards are forgotten ones?

I had more trouble when I was starting kana, that's true. Hopefully this will get easier as well.
Thank you.

>>17595532
I plan to start reading real text once I finish reading a grammar guide. At the moment I'm slowly working through that and learning Kanji, so I'll ideally be able to read at least something by the time I finish.

I guess I can check out One Piece then, thanks for the idea.
>>
>>17595525
The context is that a character left his group, the group continued as normal, they then got worried and one of the characters left a safe place to go look for him. The speech bubble is also kind of ambiguous, so I don't know if it's the hider saying something like "I left for a place to hide" or the person who found him saying "I left the safe place (cover) to look for you!". The person who left the group did so for a stupid reason and now the person who went looking for him is mad.

So you believe it's the person who left the group saying he was looking for somewhere to hide? Sorry again to be a bother, this is the first time I've misunderstood so many sentences in a row and it's bugging me.
>>
>>17595503
At the beginning, I believe getting a handbook and writing a few hundred first words really helps with remembering them. You don't need to produce them from memory (it's hard and not worth it with computers/smartphones), just reproduce the kanji with correct stroke order, then write hiragana reading and translation next to it.

Other than learning the basics of writing and stroke order which is sometimes a bit useful, I found writing the moonrunes quite fun, so I looked forward to my anki reps.
>>
>>17595565
Anki mainly works on three measures:

>Again: I forgot the card, please show it again.
>Good: I recognised the card.
>Easy: This card is easy, don't show it often.

If you forgot a card, press 'again' and Anki will add it to the list of cards you've forgotten.
>>
>>17595580
Oh, thanks. I've been using the red thing a lot.

>>17595578
I intended to ignore stroke order until I have learned a lot more than I know. There's a lot of information as it is and I need to get up to a certain level before I can even begin to practice with natural sources.
>>
>>17595503
You could learn the radicals which will make some kanji much easier to recognize. Some make no sense and others only give you a vague idea, but it helps a lot with some of them. Even a small queue is better than having no knowledge of them so your brain just has to assign meaning to what is basically just a bunch of squiggles to it.

I have a much easier time remembering the meaning of words like 被る (wear) and 液 (liquid) when I know the former has the radical for clothes on the left and the latter has the radical for water. There are plenty more examples where just seeing one radical you know the meaning of can make it easier to remember.
Personally I think getting familiar with the radicals is superior to coming up with mnemonics but you can do both if you like.
>>
>>17595636
>small queue
One might say that I'm retarded and meant to say cue.
>>
>>17595636
I'm still thinking about whether I should look at radicals, because as you said it's not all that useful much of the time, and it takes a lot of effort for its payoff. Most people seem to advise against it, but I'm not sure. I'll see how learning them goes.
>>
>>17594089
It's a shortening of なのだ, so it makes the sentence more explanatory. I don't know why people are being assholes about this question.
>>
>>17595701

Using radicals and putting them together into a visualization which ties to the meaning of a kanji is a great memorization method once you get the hang of it. Sure it costs a little time initially and exceptions still need to be studied separately but it's a time gain in the long run.

The big secret is that all Japanese words can be easily learned the same way, just by assigning a visual counterpart for each kana/common sound and putting them together into a small scenario for each word. I've been at 90%-95% retention for well over a year due to how easy it makes to remember words, it's almost like cheating when you have it down.
>>
>>17595732
That sounds interesting, can you give an example?

Can you recommend a radical list for anki?
>>
>>17595701
>and it takes a lot of effort for its payoff.
Where did you hear that? They're not much effort at all. The radicals deck in the OP is only 240 cards in total and all you need to do is remember what they mean and it'll come in handy for a lot of kanji.

>because as you said it's not all that useful much of the time
I didn't say that. I said there are cases when it won't help and sometimes you only get a vague clue from the radicals. The radicals alone won't help you understand kanji, but they do help a lot. If you'll need to memorize over 2000 characters in the end then any way to make identifying said characters easier is a good thing.

Considering it only takes, at most, 2 weeks to get familiar with the radicals, I don't see why you shouldn't. And I don't see any downside to it either. In the worst case scenario the radicals of a kanji don't make sense or contradict its intended meaning, but there are far more instances of kanji making MORE sense because of the radicals than there are instances of radicals making the meaning unclear.

Ultimately the choice is between going in completely blind and learning 2000+ characters from scratch or finding patterns and similarities to group kanji into at the cost of maybe a few dozen making less sense.
>>
how am i supposed to learn
起きる
起こす
起こる
in one session?
>>
There is a sentence in Hanahira that I don't understand.
Amane and Kaori used a プリクラ and then koharu and makoto want to use it too, koharu then says this 「あまねちゃんたちとか、お母さんとかしかなくて」
What does this sentence mean, it looks simple but for some reason my brain just can't comprehend it, please help me out.

I wanted to post the lines that come before it but 4chan won't let me.
>"Error: Our system thinks your post is spam."
fuck you too
>>
>>17595782
Can't be too hard, faggot. Those are all really common words.
>>
>>17595740
>That sounds interesting, can you give an example?
Not him but some examples:
道 (road) = 首 (neck) with the radical for walk underneath. I don't do mnemonics much but you can think of roads as being long necks you walk on, in the abstract sense.

森 (forest) = 木 (tree) 3 times but this is just too obvious and is just a massive exception. Though things like 協 (cooperation) being "power" with the heart radical on the left also makes sense because of it.

Basically any kanji that includes the radical for hand becomes easier to understand. 持つ (to have), 握る (grasp), 拍手 (clapping), 捨てる (discard) etc. etc. all become easier to recognize when the radical for hand makes it clear it's most likely something you need hands to do.

Almost any kanji with the radical 貝 (shell) in it becomes easier to understand if you know that people of olden days used shells as currency. 財布 (wallet), 投資 (investment), and 外貨 (foreign currency) become easier to remember when you know that.

There are many, many more instances where seeing one radical has helped but honestly I'm only about 8 months into studying the language so I'm not good enough to remember this stuff and write it down on the fly. Knowing the radicals almost always comes in handy and I'd probably not be where I was now (not that I am very adept, mind you) if I didn't learn them.
>>
File: 1437610761459.png (400KB, 450x720px) Image search: [Google]
1437610761459.png
400KB, 450x720px
>>17595479
Anyone?
Tried radical search with jisho, but I can't even find the first one.
>>
>>17595743
>>17595806

You convinced me, I'm putting the radical deck on my phone once google drive starts to work again.
>>
>>17595782
Funny you say that, I studied those yesterday and I thought they were fine.

起きる - Getting up is 'ki' to starting your day.
起こす - Waking up 'su'cks.

Yes I'm an idiot.
>>
>>17595831
Don't listen to those fuckers.
You'll just slow down your word learning.
And you don't need a fucking radical deck to learn what 手 means and realize that this Kanji is a part of other Kanji and those Kanji might have related meanings.
>>
>>17595740
For example, for 然 you can imagine a camp at night, with a campfire, a moon and a dog. I don't give a fuck if the 月 shape here stands for "meat" and not "moon". If you get a good picture, you won't even need to tie it to the kanji meaning, for you'd remember it naturally. The point to use your own mnemonics, not premade like Heisig's.
>Can you recommend a radical list for anki?
I think there's one in the guide.
>>
>>17595843
What if I write 起こさないで?
>>
>>17595843
>>17595782
More like る/す is a common distinction between intransitive/transitive verbs. Like for 落ちる/落とす
>>
>>17595843
i got a hang of them eventually
起こる looks&sounds like occur but is actually a synonym
起きる is occur but isn\t okoru
起きる getting up is an unfortunate event
起こす that leftover word
>>
>>17595854
I'd hope that someone who's nearly 400 words into Core2K would know about conjugating verbs.

>>17595860
That's the intelligent answer, my brain goes for the dumbest and goofiest way to remember something.
>>
>>17595846
>And you don't need a fucking radical deck to learn what 手 means and realize that this Kanji is a part of other Kanji and those Kanji might have related meanings.
Yeah, let's assume you figure out that 手 is almost always in a condensed form and NOT straight up drawn the same and that you also figure out 水's condensed form. Now just do the same for all radicals on your own because you're hardcore and are in such a rush to learn the language that instead of spending just one goddamn week or two on getting them down.

No, you don't need to learn the radicals to learn Japanese, but then again neither do you need the latin alphabet to speak English if you think you'll manage fine just learning the words.
I genuinely don't see how putting one week aside to learn something for a language is a bad thing when it WILL take a very long time to learn the language no matter if you start reading native content from day 1.
>>
>>17595740

For example たら for me is always "tarantula", and たらたら which means either dripping/trickling/etc. or incessant/profuse (usually in the context of complaints and such) is "I got incessant complaints about tarantulas trickling down from the cracks in the ceiling."

あ is albino, ひ is Hitler and る is Russia so アヒル (duck) is "Albino Hitler gifted Russia with a duck pond as a sign of goodwill".

しん is Shinto priest, にゅう is new (try to avoid hard-to-visualize things like "new" though) and しゃ is Shantae, so 侵入者 (しんにゅうしゃ - invader, trespasser, etc.) is "Shinto priests invaded the new manor Shantae had bought". Of course kanji words require some knowledge about the kanji first, but like I said the system is the same there.

The conclusion people usually jump to is that "coming up and remembering all those stories is more effort than doing it the normal way" but that's nonsense, you don't need to actively remember and think about how to operate a coffee machine because your brain will bring out the necessary knowledge from suspension when you need to make some coffee. Similarly visualizations will go into suspension and come out when you see the word and can't remember it, you don't need to constantly keep them in mind. Then they'll slowly fade out as the word enters your long-term memory and they're no longer needed.
>>
File: watbird.gif (122KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
watbird.gif
122KB, 500x281px
>>17595921
Not that guy, but how long have you been studying? Because your "method" sounds really ass-backwards when I read it, but it might be just because I grind shit till I learn it.
>>
>>17595895
>No, you don't need to learn the radicals to learn Japanese, but then again neither do you need the latin alphabet to speak English if you think you'll manage fine just learning the words.
That's a real stupid statement considering you can surely find nips that don't know about your stupid radicals.
>>
>>17595968
Not ones who graduated high school.
>>
>>17595968
that's a real stupid statement considering nips learn radicals in school
>>
>>17595968
>That's a real stupid statement considering you can surely find nips that don't know about your stupid radicals.
Because they rote memorize it, like you insist on doing? Sure, if you really want to because it's "more natural" then go ahead.
Basically you're saying "I want to make it harder for myself because that's how the Japanese learn it." Never mind the fact that they grew up surrounded with the language while you're way past the prime age to intuitively learn languages like they did.
Keep on being hardcore all you want but keep it to yourself.
>>
radical freedom
>>
>>17595479
厨房の危機
>>
Heads up, AppLocale will work for a lot of games. But changing your system's region to Japan will work for a lot more. Some games will actually run like shit until you change the region.
>>
>>17595964

Man my studying activity has varied so much that I couldn't give you an accurate time, but roughly a couple of years and with about 100k reviews in Anki. I've mined a few thousand words and have a visualization for most of 'em.

And I totally know what it sounds like, but pretty much all powerful memorization techniques are based on visualization for a reason. People who compete in memory championships and such don't memorize the cards in a card deck, they memorize visualizations linked to those cards and then link the visualizations into a long chain of events to keep the order straight. Concrete imagery just sticks in the human brain in a whole different way compared to abstract stuff like numbers or words or kana.
>>
>>17596029
Thank you, I love you.
>>
Do any of you anons know of a Fantasy/Magical based Anki deck? I've been trying to find something like that for a while.
>>
>>17596036
What bugged me were the somewhat long and complex mnemonics, but I guess if you aren't hurrying it can be viable. I try to keep a faster pace recently (to atone for slacking during starting days), so I just remember "家鴨" is read "あひる", means "common duck" and I learned it by checking dictionary when watching ducks. Then I just grind it, after a few times seeing it sticks. Quantity over quality.
>>
File: 1504194583997.jpg (454KB, 1048x827px) Image search: [Google]
1504194583997.jpg
454KB, 1048x827px
>>17596050
Well this isn't an anki deck nor is it fantasy but I guess you can still find some words used in a fantasy settings and just mine them.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Vocabulary/Videogame

I'm also interested in Fantasy, 魔法少女 and porn vocabulary if someone has a good source for that.
>>
>>17596050
>>17596086
If you're into tabletop rpgs, you can read 5e basic rules in Japanese and mine from there.
http://hobbyjapan.co.jp/dd/news/5th_dnd_pg/
One day I'll work up the courage and try DMing a game in Japanese.
>>
>>17596086
it's a start, thanks anon. I'm sure a deck exists somewhere. we may have to sacrifice a few magical girls to obtain it however
>>
>>17596064

>What bugged me were the somewhat long and complex mnemonics

Yeah, that's because they're in text form, but you don't memorize the text itself. The visualization is like this painting. If you try to (accurately) describe every aspect of it in words to someone it's inevitably gonna end up sounding long and confusing, maybe downright nonsensical. But if you show them the painting itself, every aspect of your entire long-ass description is right there, contained within a single image which you can easily picture in your head.

If you take a bit of time looking at the painting and memorizing its details, it's entirely possible that a couple of years from now when you see the same painting again in some completely different context, even if you haven't thought of it for a single second in the interim you might go "Hey, I remember seeing this painting before" as your brain brings the image of it out of suspension. It's the same deal with visualizations, and why they're so effective.
>>
>「全部声が誘導してくれるから、わたしたちはその通りに動けばいいんだよ」
Is that an idiom or something or what is a 全部声?
>>
>>17596195
全部 is an adverb modifying 声が誘導してくれる
>>
>>17596195
It is two words, 全部 and 声

"The voice will guide you through everything, so you just have to do as it says"
>>
>>17596197
>>17596200
>"The voice will guide you through everything, so you just have to do as it says"
Well I read it like that but I thought that doesn't make sense (it still doesn't to me) but I guess it can't be helped then.

Thanks anyway.
>>
how many days does it take you to learn a word?
i don't remember half the words from yesterday and i routinely have to redo words that should be borderline mature

>tfw brainlet
>>
>>17596221
eat fish oil
>>
File: 1496869262297.jpg (73KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496869262297.jpg
73KB, 800x600px
>>17595784
Can anyone help me?
>>
>>17596245
post picture
>>
File: 476.png (36KB, 844x849px) Image search: [Google]
476.png
36KB, 844x849px
>>17596258
>>
>>17596221

It's impossible to say you've learned a word until a long time after, recognizing it the next day doesn't mean you'll still recognize it a year later. If you do, that's when you can say you've probably learned it.

If you're having trouble try to figure out what's causing it and what you can do to fix it. "Bad studying method" is a lot more likely explanation than "bad brain"..
>>
>>17596287
i know but from what i've read here people claim they have abillion mature words and they never, ever fail them and they learn 30 new words a day or don't even use anki at all and japanese is really easy, but i keep failing mature words and can't even remember ever having seen a kanji when i studied it yesterday and it should be fresh because i pressed again on it 7 times or some shit and failed it multiple times in a row minute after minute
>>
>>17596310
>from what i've read here
You shouldn't put too much weight on what people on 4chan tell you.
>>
>>17595130
読めるんだけど
>>
>>17596323
it's everywhere else on the internet too, if you google "how long does core6k take" there's people saying they did it in two months by doing 100 new words a day and >900 reviews

but like my original question was, is it normal to struggle remembering words and to forget "mature" words or am I just retarded

I take zinc, d3, omgea3 and multivitamin supplements every day
>>
やばいストレスがするぜ
>>
そうですね
>>
File: Untitled.png (1KB, 118x87px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1KB, 118x87px
>>17595784
>>17596245

>wanted to post the lines that come before it but 4chan won't let me.
>>"Error: Our system thinks your post is spam."

Maybe because it contains the phrase in my pic. Edit that out and try to post it again.
The sentence you want translated is very context dependent.
>>
>>17596245
あまねちゃんたちとか、お母さんとかしか(一緒に撮ったことが)なくて
>>
>>17596352
Its perfectly normal. I'm pretty sure those people didn't actually learn the words. They just brushed over it. Otherwise everyone would constantly learn new languages. Its not that easy.
>>
>>17596352
Just read more. I've found that the only words that give me trouble are the ones that I only see in Anki.

(And words that I remember backwards for some reason like 供給 as きゅうきょう until I learnt the word 給料. This occasionally happens with random words and I feel dyslexic every time.)
>>
>>17596279

Isn't she just saying she's only taken photo booth pictures before with people such as Amane (+たち so her buddies or whatever) and her mother?
>>
>>17596399
>Maybe because it contains the phrase in my pic
Good to know thx.

>>17596418
I see thank you, I didn't recognize the words as しか and なくて, but even if I did, I probably wouldn't have realized that she is refering to 一緒に撮ったこと
How did you know?

>>17596429
Yeah thought it could be something like that, but I wanted to make sure it's correct cause I've been completely wrong with my guesses in other cases.
>>
>>17596399
Wow. How come this is filtered?
>>
>>17596531
The admins once added a button that posted that to parody a reddit upvote or facebook like or something. Or maybe it was the 4chanX extension that did it. Either way, when the joke was over people kept posting it. So the admins got pissed and filtered it.
>>
>>17596547
そうですね
>>
File: handwriting.png (27KB, 96x99px) Image search: [Google]
handwriting.png
27KB, 96x99px
Holy fucking handwriting.
Someone here that wants to help me understand this? I think I stared at it for like 20 minutes now, but I can't make out what these scribbles are supposed to mean.
Judging from the context, it's probably food related.
>>
>>17596612
もともとこったものは作れませんが
もともと凝った物は作れませんが
>>
>>17594889
>>17595568
Giving this (and the follow-up context post) a cheeky bump since the thread is more active.
>>
>>17596621
Thanks anon, that makes sense.
But how the hell did you guess that た? I guess it's experience? Just looks like a mumbled も to me.
>>
>>17596641
Not him but I clearly see た there. Compare it to the actual もs and you can see the difference.
>>
>>17596279
>「あまねちゃんたちとか、お母さんとかしかなくて」
I've only done it (photo booths) with Amane-chan and co. and my mom.
>>
>>17596641
I have no reason to expect も to come after こっ.
It never looked like anything but た to me until you pointed out that it could maybe look like も.
It's the difference between being able to read whole sequences at once and reading character-by-character. I can just look at the general shape of the sentence and my brain automatically fills in ambiguous spots based on which types of words could possibly appear in which positions.
>>
>http://wiki.wareya.moe/Stats
To anyone currently managing or contributing to the VN scripts stats site. I extracted and formatted the VN scripts for Parfait and White Album:

Parfait
https://mega.nz/#!TY5kwDia!AfuC_FzI50hqP-7uQA88w9gAjgT9ufB2bge6pMXisPs

White Album - Tsuzurareru Fuyu no Omoide
https://mega.nz/#!fZ4WnZCI!sYKxtUUgOdZ9rv6sZW8IRtLr8_gxgZ7f9uHnOexf0sA

I don't have a bash shell setup right now so someone else will have to run the analysis on those.
>>
I feel like I learn words from my mining deck much more easily than I do from my core deck. I'm still new at mining, so it might just be that there are less cards and thus my brain sees less "possible answers" for each card, but I think this might just be the best way to approach learning vocab.
>>
File: yanaka-ginza.jpg (293KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
yanaka-ginza.jpg
293KB, 1024x768px
Does the concept of 下町 hold any connotations regarding the quality of life or residents of the 町 in question?

Or is it just a place inside a city with an oldtown atmosphere.
>>
>>17596628
Post the actual panel, cluster of panels, or page it appears on. Your "context post" doesn't help.
The "context" people refer to when they say something requires context to understand is principally the lines of text surrounding the sentence(s) in question, and in manga also the art so we can see things like the characters' facial expressions, and whatever is going on in the background they might be commenting on.
What you posted basically amounts to a story about what you thought you were reading and doesn't help me understand at all. But if I can see the original source material then my understanding of the situation is not filtered through, and therefore limited by, your understanding. And I don't mean that in an offensive way. Generally if you want help understanding something you should post the source material from the get-go.
>>
>>17596748
Might be the fact that you encountered it while reading and it therefore sticks better in your head cause you saw it used in context.

Unfortunately my unseen cards stacked up and my new cards were added weeks ago so I have to relation to them anymore => can't remember them well.
>>
>>17596777
literally depends on the area
>>
File: himitsudou.jpg (262KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
himitsudou.jpg
262KB, 1280x720px
>>17596803
okay, thanks!
>>
>>17596777
シタマチ・アトモスフィアが実際ワザマエ
>>
>>17596814
それはシタマチではない

ヨコチョウ・タウンだ
>>
>>17596779
Thanks, I'll do that from now on. I think I actually worked my original question out by myself, I'm feeling pretty happy with myself. That being said, an even more frustrating challenge has presented itself. I've browsed through the rest of the manga and nothing else looks to be giving me trouble, so I think this is the last time I'll bother people.

The wider context is that two male characters are talking in one toilet cubicle (the hiding spot mentioned above) and in comes other students. This is obviously an embarrassing situation so they're talking back and forth about how to deal with it. In the manga, this conversation takes place behind a toilet door so I can't actually see faces or anything.

じゃあ上から掃除用具箱に移動するから

This is a solution one of the characters has come up with and I'm just baffled. Is he going to climb over cleaning supplies into another cubicle? This is the most complicated thing in the manga so I really would appreciate help, sorry.
>>
File: 1497591909135.jpg (324KB, 598x942px) Image search: [Google]
1497591909135.jpg
324KB, 598x942px
>>17592815
Is that Osaka in the OP image?
>>
>>17596978
せやで
べっぴんやな
>>
>>17596973
Dammit, I forgot to paste a bit of dialogue, sorry.

じゃあ上から掃除用具箱に移動するからアキラは先にでろ

アキラ is the name of the other character in the cubicle.
>>
>>17597012
Why didn't you just post the page?
>>
Quality official translation (from Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 game).

After successfully learning something new in the tutorial:
Voice: いいぞ。その呼吸を忘れるな!
Subtitle: Good. Don't forget to breathe!
>>
>>17597024
The page is just a toilet cubicle door with that speech bubble. I thought it would be easier to type it out so people can copy and paste anything they're unsure of. I know there's a number of kanji in there that was my complete first time seeing.
>>
>>17597034
Is it 'Don't forget that trick'? Ten days of studying reporting it.
>>
>>17597038
Yeah, that's exactly what it actually means.
>>
>>17597050
Thanks, that's my ego boost for the day.
>>
File: 1468753895035.jpg (20KB, 201x216px) Image search: [Google]
1468753895035.jpg
20KB, 201x216px
>>17597057
>successfully used rikai
>ego boost
Anon come the fuck on.
>>
File: 1306326550155.png (40KB, 324x246px) Image search: [Google]
1306326550155.png
40KB, 324x246px
>>17597065
Joke's on you I don't know what Rikai is.
>>
>>17596505
I think あまねちゃんたちとか、お母さんとか"と"しかなくて is grammatically correct. She would have omitted と in colloquial expression.
>>
File: 1448700735601.jpg (48KB, 640x850px) Image search: [Google]
1448700735601.jpg
48KB, 640x850px
What does a verb in て form at the end of the sentence usually mean if it's not a request?

I think I've heard about something like a て for that shows that something was done unintentionally, like for saying "sorry that I made you wait" or "I wanted to do that but I couldn't" but I couldn't find a reliable source.
>>
>>17597094
I'm still learning so someone please feel free to correct me, but I have written in my notes that a て verb that isn't a request means that the て is denoting that the action is currently ongoing. Does this make sense in the context?
>>
>>17597115
That would be ている anon.
>>
>>17597012
It says "I'll move into the cleaning tool box from above, so you go first." Presumably there is a cleaning tool box in the cubicle for him to hide in.
>>
File: 1388577367020.png (269KB, 680x415px) Image search: [Google]
1388577367020.png
269KB, 680x415px
>>17597136
You're my hero, thanks anon.
>>
>>17597094
It's often just a play on sentence order. Or, if there's nothing that can easily link to it then there might an implied sentence ending.
>>
what's the なり・何なり mean in this sentence?
this boy made bread but he doesn't need it anymore, so he says to another guy at a party
僕はもういらないので、客人に振る舞うなり何なり適当に処理してください
is it "I don't need it anymore, so whether or not you treat them to our guests, dispose of them as you see appropriate"?
>>
>>17597119
Thanks, I've updated my notes now.
>>
>>17597156
Dispose of it by feeding it to a guest or whatever. なり~なり in DoJG.
>>
File: Pacmen.png (4KB, 99x167px) Image search: [Google]
Pacmen.png
4KB, 99x167px
I'm being pedantic, but is this handwriting ゴゴ? The first ゴ looks pointier, and the more I look at the second one, the more it looks like it has three ticks instead of two.
>>
>>17597255
ブッコ
>>
>>17597258
Shit, that's perfect. Thank you so much!
>>
File: hakarukun.png (31KB, 584x277px) Image search: [Google]
hakarukun.png
31KB, 584x277px
Post your reading speed
http://www.sokunousokudoku.net/hakarukun/

>School level
>Vertical / horizontal
>Results
>>
ヘッ
館員なことじゃないぞ、小僧目
>>
おやっす
>>
おまんこや
我がチンポ刺す
水の音
>>
>>17597339
grade 6 horizontal
136 moji/minute

I'm ashamed to admit that it was harder than I expected, I'm much better at reading dialogue heavy moege.
>>
File: page6.jpg (118KB, 1588x808px) Image search: [Google]
page6.jpg
118KB, 1588x808px
Can someone tell me what the demon/ogre is saying on this page? Thanks
>>
>>17597865
Issun-boshi jumped into the ogre's mouth
and started stinging the inside of his stomach with his katana.
"Ow ow ow I got rekt"
>>
>>17597865
いててて is what you say when something hurts, like ouch
こりゃ = これは
かなわん = かなわない
Something like "I'm no match for you" or "I can't take this"
>>
>>17597884
>>17597891

Oh okay, thanks!
>>
>>17597865
>>17597884
Issun-boshi is so tiny that oni is like what, the size of a 4 year old?
>>
>>17596426
成就 is the word that always trips me up. I just typed it two seconds ago and I can't even remember what it is... じょうじゅ・じょじゅう・じゅうじょ・じゅじょう
Actually, my first instinct is to read it as せいきょう
How can I fix this?
>>
>>17596426
I feel the dyslexia as well, but I think its just trying to push it out too quickly without properly taking some time to read it
>>
>>17597919
JOUJUtsu brings fulfillment.
>>
So 刑務所 = prison, while 留置所 = police cell?
>>
File: 12913_facil_016_02.jpg (50KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
12913_facil_016_02.jpg
50KB, 480x360px
>>17597935
google images can often help you clear up shit like that
just be sure to use google.jp
>>
For the anons who use the Koudansya Kanji Learner Course book and Anki, what do your cards look like? What do you have on the front and back?
Just curious.
>>
>>17598089
There's a deck for it in the guide. I do not use the recognition cards though. I only use the recall cards.

Front: Keyword
Back: Picture + stroke order + vocab
I was using the recognition cards with kanji on the front and meaning on the back, but it made me get lazy with the mnemonics which are the real backbone of the system. However once I hit around 1000 kanji I stopped doing it and have just been reading now. I will finish it someday in the future but it was taking too much time and I gain more now from reading and building my vocab.
>>
What are some easy, basic 4koma or manga I can read online?
>>
>>17598152
the guide
>>
>>17598118
>Back: Picture + stroke order + vocab
Fair to assume you produce the kanji, physically or mentally, in order to pass the card?
I remember reading online that someone was having trouble with the vocab part, but I wasn't even aware vocab was involved, which made me curious to see how other people use the resource, since it has been mentioned a bit in various places online.

I study kanji via kanji to onyomi, but that's not really a system or anything like Remember the Kanji, Kanji Learner Course, Kanji Damage, etc. so I wasn't really familiar how different people actually use these systems.
>>
Does ことにしている have a bit of a forced connotation? As in "I'd rather not but I really should". Based on the example sentences I've seen, it seems to be that way.

>楽しいことをすることにしてる
>I force myself to do fun things

Would that be an accurate feeling to the sentence?
>>
How would you regularly pronounce 紅?
べに?くれない?
>>
>>17598209
By itself with no further context, probably くれない.
>>
Is there a difference between 嬉しい and うれしい? Or more generally, is there a difference between writing a word entirely in hiragana and writing it using both hiragana and kanji?
>>
Which Japanese language fluency certificate looks the best in your resume?

>JLPT?
>college degree?
>other?
>>
>>17598252
A collage of all your DJT posts.
>>
>>17598252
Cut-outs of the most difficult manga you've imported with note-cards next to them explaining the intricacies of the dialog, all on a tack board.
>>
>>17598204
It does not.
>>
>わたし生きてたってしょうがない
Is there a difference from using 生きてたって vs 生きたって here?
>>
what's this slang verb ending? this guy is dressed in traditional japanese outfit
納得せーへんかったんやな
>>
>>17598312
That's good to know. Can it applied to non-regular things (i.e. things that only happen once or twice a year)?

>祭に行くことにしています
>I tend to go to festivals

Something like that?
>>
>>17598329
生きてたって is 生きていたって
>>
>>17598338
へんかった is negative past in 近畿方言
>>
>>17598194
>Fair to assume you produce the kanji, physically or mentally, in order to pass the card?
Yes. Usually mentally. When I "learn" the card and the mnemonic, I would write it 5-15 times usually, focusing only on the memory trick. I stopped doing the vocab part because it was slowing me down--I wanted to move through the course as quickly as possible. I don't think doing the vocab through a separate deck would be a bad thing, but it's also good to just learn vocab through reading. And that's where I'm at now, I got through 960 kanji and got sort of burnt out, and learning the mnemonic and character meaning doesn't give a huge benefit besides making vocab acquisition a bit easier. Once I really got to a point where the system of looking at kanji as radical components became intuitive, I decided it would be better to just go back to reading and learning vocab. I think once I have a much broader vocabulary base I'll go back to KKLC and finish it up for thoroughness and for writing purposes, but now it's not the most efficient use of my time.

Do you get what I'm saying? I did it for long enough to help train my brain towards seeing kanji as components and to have a strong base of that sort of visual reasoning, and then I decided to stop. And the more I read, the more I see kanji pop up which reinforces them through vocab and context even better.
>>
>>17598209
べに and くちべに is mainly for lipstick.
>>
「足は止めない」って英語でどう言えばいい?
あなた知ってるかい?
>>
>>17598479
As for foot, not stop.
>>
>>17598496
but for real though like for real people
>>
>>17598510

keep on truckin
>>
>>17598564
https://streamable.com/wr80w
>>
I don't think I can do it. How the fuck do you learn kanji? I have no problem whatsoever associating pronunciations to English definitions and learning kana was easy as fuck. For whatever reason I can't associate kanji with pronunciations. My retention is literally like 15%. How the hell do I learn this?
>>
>>17598682
Can you understand these and how they're used?
>! @ # $ % &
if yes then you have no excuses pal
>>
>>17598698
but theres more kanjis than funny symbols on the number row of a computer keyboard
>>
>>17598682
How much time have you put into Anki? If you're giving up after like a day, don't.
>>
I was the best at Japanese in my classes until this non-chalant foreign Chinese kid came in this semester and seems to be much quicker than me. I am jealous.
>>
>>17598705
Your argument was 'I can't associate kanji with pronunciations' not 'there are too many kanji for me to possibly remember'
how do you expect me to remember all of these arguments
>>
>>17598725
wasnt my argument my nicaraguan
>>
>>17598707
I'm a couple weeks in
>>
>>17598339
>祭に行くことにしています
ことがあります**
>>
Maybe if I just start fighting my way through books I'll remember more kanji
>>
>そうすることは、本当は死ぬこと以上にツラかったはずだ。
I don't really understand 以上に here, I'm thinking the sentence means "Doing that is, truthfully, even worse than death." But I'm not sure.
>>
>>17598791
isn't ツラ in past tense
doesn't that change things a bit
>>
>>17598785
what are you reading now?
>>
おはようおにいちゃん

>>17598479
Don't stop me now!

だね?!
>>
>>17598723
Kanji is literally the only hard part about Japanese so it's no wonder chinks learn it fast
>>
>>17598209
あけ

よむよ

むかしのことばだよ
>>
>>17598723
If you're still in the mindset of who is best in class, you clearly haven't progressed very far in your studies. Of course any chinese/korean person is going to destroy an intro level course using genki 1/2. Who cares? Study hard and you too can develop proficiency in japanese.
>>
>>17598950
being the best in class was all i had anon, it was all i had.
>>
>>17598969
Well it's not the last time in life you'll feel that way. Get over it, sit next to that guy, and become friends with him. There, now you are practice partners with the best speaker in the class.
>>
File: chin.jpg (36KB, 602x280px) Image search: [Google]
chin.jpg
36KB, 602x280px
What's the point of learning how to write kanji if Japs use half-cursive script that you won't be able to read/write? Only kids in primary school take their time to scribble these beautiful kanji, adults just do something that resembles them.

Ultimately my question is: does practicing writing kanji helps tremendously with memory retention of kanji?
>>
>>17598994
かんじといえば「日本の楷書」だよ

そこにあるのは

にほんいがいの楷書だよ
>>
>>17598994
>Ultimately my question is: does practicing writing kanji helps tremendously with memory retention of kanji?
Two processes
>what is this kanji
>how to write this kanji
both tasks are exposing the brain to the same information, so adding the additional task of writing is just further exposure.
If you dropped anki and solely do writing as a form of exposure, the retention rate wouldn't be a massive improvement.

If we're talking about solid comprehension then writing not 'just kanji' but grammatically correct sentences, you're unable to gloss over misunderstandings like you can with reading.
>>
>>17598396
>Do you get what I'm saying?
Yeah man, I do. With those 960 kanji at least you're more familiar with 960 kanji from a different angle to straight up vocab, I guess. Also probably enough coverage to become rather familiar with most radicals/elements.

Were you studying vocab 'normally' alongside that KKLC system? It's interesting that you comment on noticing the characters as components because, even though the approach I am taking is rather different, it is starting to have an impact on how I see these components regarding readings.

I'm a little over 6k vocab at least with Anki and currently 740 cards into this kanji deck, but for the most part with vocab it has been a mixture of rote/brute force and overall shape familiarity. What I've noticed while reviewing these kanji is how certain radicals provide the "reading" aspect of the character, while other aspects provide a sense of "meaning", which is present in the words they are found in.

It's interesting how various approaches to studying individual kanji seem to boil down to different expressions of component awareness, almost as if regardless of how you try and study kanji, all roads lead to Rome.
>>
おはようさん
みんな今日も絶対頑張るやろ~
頑張らんとアカンから~
>>
理解を得ない
知識は入手不可能
出来る状態たどりつけず
>>
>>17599180
>>17599238
あのんだんだんうまくなってるね
>>
File: 1409621449819.png (356KB, 487x454px) Image search: [Google]
1409621449819.png
356KB, 487x454px
https://youtu.be/bmKOW46LaGo
https://youtu.be/O2ML955u8Y0?t=19
>>
>>17599253
ま~だまだやで
>>
寒いじゃん
>>
>>17599378
凛たる風は心が如し
>>
>>17599397
さすがに深いだなw
>>
>>17599400
恐縮でございます
>>
im retard
>>
>>17599473

Welcome home.
>>
>>17599473
アホになってしもうたか?
>>
>>17599473
コツメカワウソ?
>>
Has anyone experienced this character before?

Seems to be some type of fish meat that looks like a vagina
>>
>>17599645
Ain't nobody got time to learn all the kanji for different fish
>>
>>17597080
What if it's not the usual とか but と as in "with" + か.
>>
>>17599645
>鮑

こっちのほうがIMEせんせいはゆうせんどがたかいっていってるよ
>>
>>17599645
>>17599901
こてんのうぃきぺでぃあも

さかなへんにむかしのつつむのほうになってるよ
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%AE%91%E3%81%AE%E3%81%97
>>
>>17598865
これも正解
だと思ういます
>>
Is NHK easy DJT approved? Is it too easy?
>>
>>17600305
If it helps you learn, what the fuck does it matter? Once you feel its too easy, graduate to something more difficult.
>>
>>17599684
I think in that case と+しか is correct.
あまねちゃんたちとか、お母さんとしかなくて
>>
Does anybody here know where to download N3 level volumes of shin kanzen master?
>>
>>17600305
You will learn some useful vocab for sure.
>>
>>17598981
You're right anon. I need to relinquish my mediocre ego. Time to 頑張る
>>
>>17600305
It's what most people read after finishing Core (since that deck is sampled from newspapers)
>>
左手ににぎられている
Would this mean to grasp left hand or be grasped by left hand, and why? I keep getting confused by に+られる sentences.
>>
Is there an English grammar equivalent of Tae Kim's grammar guide written in Japanese?
I just want to read it to see how the Japanese translate English grammar into Japanese rather than the other way around.
>>
>>17600541
The second one. In passive sentences に usually marks the agent. In this case it points to the left hand, so we know the left hand is the one doing the grasping. に can also have it's other meanings in this position which can be confusing sometimes, but as far as I know 握る doesn't have a に argument so that's not a problem here.
>>
>>17599106
Download KKLC from the guide and read the introduction, I think it makes a compelling argument for how it helps baka gaijin like us learn to differentiate similar looking kanji, and it presents kanji with similar elements in groups. If you have 6k grammar that should work really well with the system as you'll further be able to associate the kanji's overall "meaning" with the vocab you already know.

The reason I don't do vocab and only do recall cards is based on some elements of RTK. Basically Heisig's approach is "divide and conquer," get the writing system shapes out of the way, then go and learn readings. Doing any mnemonic system is not fun, and I wanted to get through KKLC as fast as possible. The vocab was slowing me down, so I dropped it. When I go back and do the system, I'll probably create a selected vocab deck for it.

The DJT meme of read more really isn't a meme though, I've been putting my KKLC time into reading and it's made a big difference and really helps with the vocab acquisition. Currently reading One Piece and Aria. I was doing VNs with the dictionary plugin but I find VNs boring so that after an hour I don't want to play anymore. Whereas I love sitting down on the couch with a volume of manga.
>>
>>17600305
I wouldn't recommend it for two reasons. First of all, the quantity is just way too limited. It will take you forever to get anywhere just reading a couple of the short articles on that page every day. Second reason is that it's just boring. The thing you're reading should be challenging for you to read, and if something is boring at the same time as being challenging, you're just not going to keep doing it for very long.

If the thing you're reading doesn't meet the below criteria, you should find something else:
- challenging but not completely incomprehensible (it's okay if you can't make sense of the odd line, just so long as you can get the general gist at least of most of the material)

- high density of text (don't worry about 100% perfect compression, it's better to read a lot and not understand some of it than to read only a very small amount and understand it perfectly)

- interesting and/or fun (this is perhaps the most important factor of all because it's what encourages you to keep going back to the material and challenging yourself with it again and again until you see it to completion)
>>
Can somebody break down this line's grammar and vocabulary? I'm confused. I know what it means but I can't see how it means it.

用意してきてやる

I'm seeing "Preparations/Prepare do come do" or "Prep by come do"
>>
>>17601058
Read a grammar guide that actually covered teiku and tekuru instead of trying to make it up.
>>
>>17601058
I'm not confident in my answer, but the way I see it:
Preparation <do reach/come <do.
You do the aforementioned preparations, then you will complete (きて) that, and do said completion. So he's really, thoroughly preparing himself/the thing he's talking about.
>>
>>17601058
用意する to get something ready, to prepare something
用意してくる to get something ready and then come
用意してきてやる to get something ready and then come back as a favor for someone (やる=rude あげる)
>>
>>17601093
>>17601094
please do not respond to basic grammar questions when you do not understand basic grammar
>>
>>17601099
Completely fair point, but then where would I read up on and learn said grammar?
My guess was based on what I've gathered from reading, so if I've got it wrong then I'd appreciate getting back on the right track.
>>
>>17601108
grammar guides + https://core6000.neocities.org/hjgp/
>>
>>17601099
Please don't tell someone they're wrong without correcting them
>>
>>17601137
No, fuck you.
>>
>>17601137
There's literally nothing wrong with telling people not to help when they don't know enough to help.

Know your limits. If you have to logically think through a basic conjugation, you do not know enough Japanese to answer a question about it.
>>
>>17601148
I just want to know how I'm misunderstanding. >>17601094
>>
>>17601154
てくる here is a temporal "aspect" marker that expresses that the action started in the past and has remained in action through the present.

preparations are underway / have been underway

>>17601091
>>
>>17601161
くる can have many different meanings as a supplementary verb, not always a temporal one.

https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/64270/meaning/m1u/%E3%81%8F%E3%82%8B/
>ある動作をしてもとに戻る。…しに行って帰る。
>ある動作・状態をそのまま続けながら、こちらへ近づく。また、そのようにしてこちらへ至る。

Now explain to me how you know it's the temporal meaning and not one of these in this situation.
>>
>>17601179
Because it's acting as an auxiliary verb and cannot have the literal meaning くる, because the やる is logically attached to 用意する. If やる were not logically attached to する and くる were also not logically attached to する, then きてやる would not be connected to する via the て form.
>>
>>17601193
I think you have even less of an idea what you're talking about than I do.
Where does the やる even come into your "preparations are underway" translation?
>>
>>17601207
It doesn't. やる operates on してくる as a whole, I only translated してくる.

If you somehow think くる isn't operating on する there, you are very, very far from fluency. Nobody would ever write "preparing and coming back for you" this way in Japanese.
>>
>>17601207
please do not argue about very basic grammar when you've just finished a beginner's textbook and hasn't consumed very much japanese
>>
>>17601241
>hasn't
lol
>>
>>17601245
yeah i rewrite my post and didn't care to change every single verb what of it
>>
>>17601225
>If you somehow think くる isn't operating on する there
I do, I just think it's definition 9-う or 9-え instead of 9-い because the only context I have to go off of is てやる.

飲み物を買ってくる I will go buy a drink (and come back)
飲み物を買ってきてあげる I will go buy a drink for you (and come back)

資料を用意してくる
I will go ready the materials (and come back)
資料を用意してきてやる
I will go ready the materials for you (and come back)

資料を用意してくる the materials will have been being prepared?
資料を用意してきてやる I will have been getting the materials ready for you?
>>
>>17601308
9X are conjunctional uses of the て form rather than operatives ones. Which means that they logically operate relate くる to the action 用意する rather than "operating on する" (so to speak).

>資料を用意してきてやる
>I will go ready the materials for you (and come back)

This would not be 用意してきてやる. It's technically logically possible to write 用意してきてやる when you mean something along these lines, but it's like writing "I'm going to send a letter" when you mean that you're physically heading out to the post office to send a letter instead of a generic going-to future.
>>
>>17601332
I googled it and it looks like the person asking the question was reading Yotsuba&. I don't have scans, just a physical copy, but it's volume 1 page 13.

Jumbo:
>おまえさ 近所にあいさつで配る粗品とか用意してるか?

Koiwai:
>そうかそういうのしなきゃな
>頭いいなおまえ

Jumbo:
>じゃあ俺が用意してきてやる おまえ片付けてろ

Now please explain to me how this 用意してきてやる is only theoretically possible and how I
>do not understand basic grammar
and need to
>Know [my] limits.
>>
Why is Japanese so hard.
>>
>>17601425
Wrecked. Sadly the guy you're arguing with has a pathological inability to accept when he is wrong.
>>
>>17601468
My knee-jerk reaction was "brazilian"
>>
>>17601425
That is a picture perfect example of the aspectual use of てくる.
>>
File: Cujo_(book_cover)[1].jpg (32KB, 265x397px) Image search: [Google]
Cujo_(book_cover)[1].jpg
32KB, 265x397px
今学んだばかり「苦情」が。スティーブン・スピールバーグ は狡猾ですよ。
>>
>>17601486
I don't even think you're seriously arguing with me at this point.
>>
>>17601517
I am, but apparently you can't fluently read Yotsubato.
>>
>>17601486
No it's not, idiot. He didn't start 用意 before that statement. I like how all the smug hotshots in this thread can't understand fucking Yotsuba.
>>
>>17601522
The temporal use of てくる doesn't require you to start the argument before the present time. That would be if it were してくた. してくる in the "plain" form can begin in the near future, and is still aspectual.
>>
>>17601537
so basically what you're saying is that he's going to 用意する it in the future and then come back, right?
>>
>>17601544
No, he's going to come and start 用意する in the near future.
>>
Original Yotuba& asker here.
I didn't give enough context, sorry.
I still barely understand though. Even with Tae Kim's grammar on the subjects I didn't get it.
>>
File: 1_1168549084202.png (1KB, 25x38px) Image search: [Google]
1_1168549084202.png
1KB, 25x38px
Can anyone recognize these two kanji? I just can't recreate them in sljfaq.
>>
>>17601610
best guess 欲求
>>
>>17601669
That seems to be right. I have no idea how you could make that out, but thanks.
>>
File: what.png (58KB, 990x782px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
58KB, 990x782px
What the fuck is wrong with this magic spell part? It means that this katakana gibberish is the meaning and she's actually speaking the Japanese words which are used as furigana or what?
>>
>>17601744
And I don't mean the 'firebolt' part, that is obvious.
>>
>>17601744
Just ignore bullshit like that
>>
>>17601760
I'm not worried or anything, just interested if anybody can make sense of it.
>>
>>17601744

It's pretty clearly just to show what the words are meant to represent while keeping the words of the spell itself sounding mystical.
>>
>>17601782
But normally you write the meaning normally and add the cool name in furigana.
I'm asking what's the reason/meaning for this inversion we see here.
>>
>>17601786
maybe five characters just isn't enough room to fit all that kana on top
>>
>>17601744
>It means that this katakana gibberish is the meaning and she's actually speaking the Japanese words which are used as furigana or what?

No, the opposite.

As for what the kana is, it's just a spell so it wouldn't be strange if it was completely meaningless, but in this case it does in fact seem to have some meaning. For example sagitta, the first word, is apparently latin for arrow, and radius is apparently latin for ray. The middle one is probably something similar.
>>
>>17601807
see
>>17601746
>>17601786
>>
>>17601815
I did see those posts. What are you trying to say?
>>
>>17601786

Because it's the chant for a spell rather than a set of fictional terms. The furigana part is only there to give the reader an idea of what the words supposedly reprenset.

I'm not sure where the confusing part is.
>>
>>17601817
That this part is completely different from how usually the cool names are added.
I want to know what the meaning/reasoning behind that is.
>>
>>17601825
Different kind of spell? Not sure what kind of answer you want, this is obviously some subjective choice by the author, there is no objective rule or grammar that can explain it.
>>
>>17601820
Normal way:
kanji is meaning
furigana is reading
(also applies to adding cool names to spells orproper nouns, reading 'friend' as 'rival', etc)
But here we see kanji used as furigana (which normally would imply that this is what the char actually says).
I'm asking if there's any meaning to that.
>>
>>17592815
I came across a verb that ended in たり
what did they mean by this?
>>
>>17601844

Are you a little dense or something anon

You're putting too much meaning on the kanji there, they could just as well not exist and nothing'd change. You could just have her say 「サジタ インフラマラエ ラディウス!」 and leave it at that. But solely for the sake of giving the reader an idea of what it's meant to mean instead of just being pure cool-sounding gibberish, the author added their "meanings" as explanatory small kanji above them.

There are no cool names or proper nouns involved here, nothing that requires help to read the correct way, just a fancy-sounding chant given a little extra depth by pretending the words mean things.
>>
>>17601839
It's almost like writing:
>What's wrong, 'she said.'
instead of
>'What's wrong,' she said.
It goes completely against the convention. I do understand adding cool furigana readin, that happens all the time. But here, we see the exact opposite of that.
>>
>>17601878
I think you're exaggerating how consistent it is. It's not like it's highly unusual that the furigana is the explanation rather than pronunciation, I've seen both ways many times. There is no rule that says that furigana has to be the reading, so it's definitely not like switching quotation marks in english.
>>
>>17601877
see
>>17601878
There's a convention to doing it and it's broken here so I was wondering about the reason.
I guess nobody ITT knows if there is one so I'm gonna give up and maybe try asking a real eleven some time.
>>
File: Matsumoto.jpg (47KB, 486x600px) Image search: [Google]
Matsumoto.jpg
47KB, 486x600px
>>17601890

Yeah alright. You go ahead and do that.
>>
>>17601887
>There is no rule that says that furigana has to be the reading
It's a fairly strong convention outside of genre fiction.
But if you say it's often broken in genre fiction then I can accept it.
>>
>>17601852
Try posting the actual text. It depends on the context and whether they're using 文語 or not.
>>
>>17601744
I know what you mean, but a few times in the past I've come across this seemingly "backwards" usage of nonstandard furigana, so at the very least I can tell you that it's not unique to the thing you're reading.
>>
File: Capture.png (44KB, 192x299px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
44KB, 192x299px
>>17601900
Context: She was talking how she didn't believe a girl who saw her as a robot.
>>
>>17601941
In this case it's the conjunctive particle たり, this definition in edict:
>(2) (used adverbially) doing such things as...;
or the second definition here:
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/139246/meaning/m1u/%E3%81%9F%E3%82%8A/
>(副助詞的に用いられ)同種の事柄の中からある動作・状態を例示して、他の場合を類推させる意を表す。
(used as an adverbial particle) offers one action or state out of many other possible scenarios as an example, so that the others can be deduced through analogy.
>「車にひかれたりしたらたいへんだ」
If you did something like get hit by a car we'd be in trouble.

>自分を宇宙人と名乗ったり
doing things like calling herself an alien

It's just like the ~たり~たりする structure but with only one thing and no する.

>自分を宇宙人と名乗ったり妖精が見えるとか言うようなイタイ子
An イタイ子 that might say something like she can see fairies or do things like call herself an alien

My hunch is that this is poorly-written Japanese but you'd have to ask いもうと
>>
How am I supposed to approach RTK? I started off with the core2k/6k deck and I'm not very far into it and decided to try out RTK along with it but it's kind of got me wondering if this will work for me. I already make up mnemonics for the words I learn in the core2k/6k pack, and they give me the readings and such unlike RTK. Am I missing the point or something or is it just something that isn't for me?
>>
>>17601941
refers to the act of doing something as if it were a noun.
>>
>>17602038
If you're already doing fine with the core deck you don't need to do RTK or KKLC. If you ever get to a point where you feel like kanji aren't sticking or your mind is getting fucked by similar looking kanji, that is the time to give one of those systems a shot.
>>
Well, if vn script anon is still collecting then

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1brw39delxa3qrg/
>>
I saw a comment on another board where someone accidentally left the space out of "take home" and I read it in my head as たけほめ. Am I officially Japanese now?
>>
>>17602188
No, just a brainwashed weeb
>>
What exactly does the phrase "出会いの数だけ" mean? I see it frequently used so does it originate from somewhere in specific?
>>
So what's the deal with DBJG vs HJGP. I like to purchase my study resources, and the dictionary seems to be tried and true, but I was wondering if anyone who prefers the handbook could explain it
>>
>>17602257
absolutely no idea
>>
>>17602257
>does it originate from somewhere in specific?
Yeah, it originates from the Japanese language
>>
Is まんこを食べたい correct or is it too literal?
>>
>>17602460
too literal
>>
おへやの

もうようがえしたい

おにいちゃんてつだって
>>
模様替えね

ぬいぐるみぜんぶ

そうじきかけておいてね

こわしたらどうなるかわかってるわよね
>>
>>17602470
>>17602480
>模様替
やっぱりそうかよ。もうようがえじゃなくてもようがえだろ。ひらがなしか書けないならせめてちゃんと書けよ
>>
やっぱりわたしはゲイ
>>
今めっちゃ遅いから寝るでー
おやすみさん
>>
>>17602467
How it would be the correct way?
>>
>>17602337
HJGP covers much, much more material than DOJG. If it's a reference you want, there's basically no contest.
>>
File: 71402.jpg (723KB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
71402.jpg
723KB, 3024x4032px
What's the tiny kanji?
>>
>>17602337
From what I see after googling, the scope is supposedly the same. Check both out and see which one is easier to understand?
>>17602571
You know there DOJG is more than one book, right?
>>
What do after finishing core?
Delete it and concentrate on the mining deck? do it until all cards are mature?

Still got some trouble with the last 1000 cards cause I rushed it near the end, but I'm fkn tired of core
>>
>>17602608
Just keep doing it alongside your mining deck. Without adding new cards the workload will soon drop off dramatically, and after a month or so you'll be able to maintain those reviews with no effort at all.
>>
My girlfriend is learning Japanese with me and she's far along enough to talk to Japanese people. She told a Japanese girl her hair was 美しい, then an American dude also learning Japanese butted into the conversation and said she shouldn't have used 美しい, she should have used 綺麗. She's a bit pissy about it because it's not like she's a creepy dude with yellow fever, she wanted to pay another girl a nice compliment. Who's in the right here? Or is there even a 'right' here?
>>
>>17602608
>Still got some trouble with the last 1000 cards
Then keep doing it.
You can probably delete it in a few months, because you will see those words a lot.
>>
>>17602597
>>
>>17602597
裏にして maybe
>>
>>17602602
Yes I know there are 3 books. Unless the physical DOJG is hiding a huge number of entries which somehow didn't make it into the DJT grammar reference, HJGP wins hands down for coverage.
>>
>>17602660
I don't believe you. I know it's far shorter.
Number of entries, anything concrete at all? Or were you just shitpostan.
>>
>>17602700
You can compare them right now if you like, they've both been scanned and at least partially transcribed (in HJGP's case only the chapter headings, but that's enough most of the time). When I say "coverage", I mean 9 times out of 10 when you try to look a grammar structure up, HJGP will have an entry on it and DOJG will have fuck all. What good is a reference if it doesn't even aspire to be comprehensive?
>>
File: 1473879860282.jpg (602KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473879860282.jpg
602KB, 1080x720px
>>17602337
>I like to purchase
>>
>>17601094
Two native Japanese confirmed this post is correct. >>/int/79264615 >>/int/79260944

Read the replies here for a laugh and remember that whenever someone acts smug and dismissive, they probably don't actually know Japanese.
>>
>tfw just realized custom study exists
this should help me get extra practice with the words i'm struggling with
>>
>>17602700
>I don't believe you. I know it's far shorter.
DoJG gives tons of example sentences which take up a lot of space, formation tables which also take up a lot of space, and usually has longer explanations to top it all off. This makes it "longer" than HJGP despite covering less grammar.

Even the smallest DoJG entries take up roughly a full page. An average HJGP entry takes up less than half a page.
>>
File: 1504858209170.png (53KB, 619x601px) Image search: [Google]
1504858209170.png
53KB, 619x601px
>>
it's not even me
I just wanted to answer the question correctly I wouldn't come back to gloat or anything
>>
>>17602812
is this an indication that this thread should cease being and if one wants 正確な advice from 正真正銘 nippwnjins that they should go to the int threads?
quite the endorsement
>>
>>17602812
There are only two natives who post in that thread, from time to time. The rest are gaijin in Japan and proxies. One of the natives is a namefag while the other is an avatarfag, both of them have lackluster English and tend to answer completely different questions as to what is asked.
Neither of those posts you cited are native Japanese.
>>
>>17602841
>implying old farts would understand the internet
>>
you're taking up my time
im closing the thread, i advise other people to do so and read moar
>>
File: 1364950776077.png (16KB, 291x300px) Image search: [Google]
1364950776077.png
16KB, 291x300px
KANJI AND VOCAB READINGS QUIT BEING SO DIFFERENT
>>
File: hard japanese vn.jpg (168KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
hard japanese vn.jpg
168KB, 800x600px
WTF does this mean? I thought moege were supposed to be easy.
>>
>>17603018
is that chinese
>>
>>17603030
フォントはにほんごだよ
>>
Can someone upload mondaiji epubs? I don't see it in the CoR.
>>
>>17603018
It looks like it's scripture from esoteric 真言 Buddhism about the five 明王
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_King
You would read it with the kanji's 呉音読み but it wouldn't be intelligible to someone unless they could read Classical Chinese.
>>
>>17603050
So it's not meant to be intelligible even by the average Japanese?
>>
File: 明王.jpg (758KB, 803x931px) Image search: [Google]
明王.jpg
758KB, 803x931px
>>17603075
I don't think so, although they might recognize the names of deities like 不動明王.
It's like the incantations レイ uses in Sailor Moon, or a priest saying something in Latin during an exorcism. It's just religious babble.
>>
Actually now that I look at it it seems like the 二 in the last line might be a katakana 二.

>東方降三世夜叉明王
To the East, Trailokyavijaya, Conqueror of the Three Planes
>南方軍荼利夜叉明王
To the South, Kuṇḍali Vidyarāja, Dispenser of the Nectar of Immortality
>西方大威徳夜叉明王
To the West, Vajrabhairava, Slayer of Death and Possessor of the Highest Truth
>北方金剛夜叉明王
To the North, Vajrayaksa, The Indestructible Demon Lord
>中央二大日大聖不動明王
In the Center, Holy Mahavairocana, Acala the Immovable
>>
>>17603309
ぼくが かんがえた さいきょうの かみ
>>
Visual novel is https://vndb.org/v2356 btw, I was just memeing
>>
>>17602623
綺麗 fits the context of complementing someone much better.
>>
>>17602257
There are as many X as there are people you meet. For each meeting, there is a X. 「~の数だけ」itself is a common phrase.
>>
File: 無題.png (773KB, 1243x609px) Image search: [Google]
無題.png
773KB, 1243x609px
What does よく話すってほど話して mean here? It seems contradicting with the previous よく話す from the way I'm thinking, any help
>>
>>17603560
よく話すってほど
To the extent that you'd say we talk a lot
話してたわけじゃない
It's not like we'd been talking (to that extent)

We hadn't talked so often that you would say it happened a lot
>>
>>17603579
Thanks, probably something I should've caught if I paid more attention to って. Is there also a logical reason why they used 訳 first, then わけ, or is it just preference?
>>
I can't fucking do it, I can't remember any of these fucking pronunciations. Fuck kanji holy shit.
>>
>>17603605
わけではない is a set construction meaning "it's not the case that ~." You can't do without わけ here.
>>
@17603656
still thirsty for yous hey
>>
File: You are here forever.jpg (69KB, 930x764px) Image search: [Google]
You are here forever.jpg
69KB, 930x764px
Don't forget
>>
Can someone let me know where Angel Beats First Beat ranks on that vnscripts list?
>>
>>17603882
http://wiki.wareya.moe/Making%20stats
>>
Is there any difference between お酒 and 酒?
>>
>>17603918
御 is the prefix, its added to a lot of things
id leave it to a native to explain the deference/reverence to the object they add it to
>>
How do I make the kanji grid plugin source multiple decks? It is only grabbing the kanji from my core2k/6k deck but I have more words in my mining deck...
>>
>>17602778
I hate reading material on a screen. It's garbage. If I'm going to spend hours with a book I don't mind paying for it, at least that way the creators see they have a product people value enough in this age to purchase.
>>
>>17602337
They're both available digitally, so there's definitely no reason you couldn't just preview both and then purchase whichever one you prefer.
>>
>>17602118
Cool. I'll have to fix up the formatting (names etc) but these look solid.
>>
>>17603075
かんたんに

>おふどうさん

っていわれるよ

おおみそかとかがんたんにいくと

あまざけただでくばってる
>>
File: IMG_3086.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3086.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>17600585
Just search 英語文法.
>>
>>17604489
I have before and most of the results are in Chinese or aren't sufficiently detailed.
I asked because I was wondering if anyone might have already come across it because otherwise I'll need to sift through dozens of pages to find anything worthwhile.
>>
>>17604504
use google.co.jp
>>
>>17604515
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
>>
>>17604504
http://www.englishcafe.jp/english3rd/englishindex.html

This looks pretty good.
>>
>>17604550
Thanks. This is interesting to read.
I never really thought about how radically different the concepts of "have" (as in possessing something) and "have to" (as in one must/should do something) are. When I think about it, the concept of "get" in English is also rather strange (e.g. "it's getting hot" or "I'm getting sick of you.")
>>
>>17602118
I can't find lines from the opening in the Grisaia script for some reason, and Kimi no Koe ga Kikoeru has weird broken-looking formatting like this:

2),&,(泉好感度>2),&,(美由紀好感度>3)>

=泉好感度),&,(桜好感度>=美由紀好感度)>

=美由紀好感度)>

If you touched the scripts up at all, you should double check that you didn't accidentally remove any scenes or make edge cases in the formatting undetectable.

Futsuu no Fantasy looked fine, haven't looked at anything past these three yet.
>>
I downloaded the Anki DoJG deck from the OP and when I click the "online reference" link in the card it's sends me to a 404 site.
Any way to fix that?
>>
>>17604728
https://djtarchive.neocities.org/bunpou/
>>
>>17604721
First time I used Doddler's kamikaze tools on Futsuu it only got half the script but worked the second time when I tried later. It might have done something similar with Grisaia but I don't have that installed anymore so that's a lost case.
>>
おせんたくが

よくかわきますように
>>
>>17604756
These three are relatively unobjectionable:

Futsuu no Fantasy.txt
Senmomo.txt
Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na.txt

The rest will have to wait until I think they're important enough to double check or decide to rip them myself.
>>
I'm not sure how I should train listening.

Yesterday I watched one episode of 日常. There were a few parts I understood perfectly, there were parts where I got the gist of what was happening but didn't understand every single sentence, and at some points I wasn't even sure what was happening. It was compelling, and I had fun overall, but I'm just unsure whether I should look for something even easier, or if I should just stick with this. What do you guys think?
>>
>>17604950
にちじょうで

まいちゃんとゆっことちゃんみおとはかせとなののうち

だれがすき?
>>
>>17604963
漢字を使えよ
>>
what did you do if you miss a day of anki
>>
>>17604973
切腹する
>>
アンキで勉強してはじめて、漫画や番組などの話がよくわかってきた。
>>
>>17605033
あのんのどりょくに

あたしは敬意を感じます
>>
>>17600585
This is the extreme opposite of Tae Kim's guide, but I used the classic 英文法解説 by 江川泰一郎 to learn some of the finer nuances of English grammar. It's hard to overstate the value of this text for Japanese natives who need to use English professionally.
>>
くうきせいじょうき

つくった

700えんもかかった

へやが

すごいかいてきになった
>>
>>17602585
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>17605081
風邪ウィルスを防ぐの機能もあるね
>>
>>17605095
じさくだから

そんなきのうはないよ
>>
Is a book like the kodansha kanji learners dictionary actually useful? I have some credit in a book shop that I could use to buy it
>>
>>17605117
I find it enormously useful, because I like to memorize keywords for kanji, and also because its classification system is very handy (especially to look up printed kanji you can't google). But its actual usefulness depends on how you learn japanese.
>>
あとは痛デコのカバーかければ完成

明日生地かってミシンかりてこよっと
>>
why is 着 so hard to remember how to write fuck i think im retarded
>>
File: 1500504004163.png (610KB, 1024x326px) Image search: [Google]
1500504004163.png
610KB, 1024x326px
>>17603018
>>
>安心してください
>及ばずながら私もお手伝いさせて頂きます
>けっして悪いようにはしませんから
I'm having trouble understanding what the last sentence is supposed to mean. She's going to help someone out because said person has screwed up in the past, and she wants to make sure it goes right this time.
"I'll make sure nothing goes bad ever again"?
>>
>>17605174
the way i learned is it has the radical for sheep so basically sheep are wool and you WEAR wool clothing
>>
その性は邪にして、その業は奸。

What are the readings for 性 and 業 here?
>>
>>17605174
Two part top and bottom kanji are easy mode. Wait till you get to the three or four part square arrangement kanji like 絡 結 経 数 類 絞 縛 儀 then you can start complaining.
>>
File: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png (1KB, 248x26px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png
1KB, 248x26px
help me
i think im going to fucking die learning this
>>
File: average.jpg (19KB, 248x82px) Image search: [Google]
average.jpg
19KB, 248x82px
>>17605308

How do you even reach numbers like that, do you just slack off for a week between reps?
>>
>>17605308
What are you doing? Do you have your card limit set way beyond what's realistically possible and you're just hitting Good even if you don't get the card right or what?
Or did you just skip on doing all your reps for a week?
>>
>>17605312
>>17605316
I skipped like 2 days and did only 30 on the third, so I'm using the weekend to catch up again.
And nah, I look at the card for like 2 seconds and if I don't immediately know it I just press again. To be fair this was like ~200 cards in an hour so this is not the actual number of reviews I have normally.
>>
>>17605331

>And nah, I look at the card for like 2 seconds and if I don't immediately know it I just press again.

You got heavily memed on by whoever it was that told you that's a good way to learn.
>>
>>17605345
Guess I memed myself then.
I mean it works, I remember about 85% of them if it's been a week.
>>
>>17605345
Not him but I do the same, except between 5-7 seconds in my case. How is it bad? If it takes me over 20 seconds to really think and remember a word then I don't really know it all that well, do I?
>>
>>17605355

Unless you initally take longer, you're most likely going to still be in the same situation a year from now since you rapid-fire them to your short-term memory. But you should do what feels right for you, I'm not a cop.

>>17605381

5-7 seconds is more reasonable, but the way I see it, if you don't know a word well then you should do the opposite and instead take some extra time to memorize it better. The short-term time gain you win from going through reps quickly is usually negated and eventually overtaken by the increased amount of reviews that stack up over time.
>>
>>17605397
What I do is flip cards I can't remember easily and repeat the key information in them in my head before flunking them. "Can't remember easily" is arbitrary, and might take two seconds or might take fifteen, depending on how I'm feeling.
>>
>>17605403

Yeah, that sounds alright. Relying on brainlessly getting through as many cards as possible as fast as possible and relying primarily on sheer exposure is the questionable way to go about it, but you don't seem to be doing that.
>>
how many reviews is normal for core2/6k? i get like 12 reviews more every day 82->94 today etc and i'm afraid that it will go into the 300's sooner or later. will it cap out even if i'm dumb? what's the intended amount?
>>
>>17605498
New cards per day times 10 is a rough estimate of the reviews "cap"
>>
>>17605498
it depends entirely on your retention. new cards per day times 10 is the minimum after long enough, you should never have to deal with new cards per day times 20 though, if you do, reduce new cards per day.
>>
File: 1477889797551.png (325KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1477889797551.png
325KB, 500x500px
Which is the best dialect and why is it 岡山弁?
>>
>>17605498
I just do no new cards per day in the settings. After I finish my daily reviews I check how many reviews I have the next day before adding new cards with Custom Study so things never get too crazy.
>>
File: 1481938926546.jpg (43KB, 425x419px) Image search: [Google]
1481938926546.jpg
43KB, 425x419px
>>17605512
>>17605518
>tfw 10 new cards and around 200 reviews for at least 8 months or so
>80% mature retention
Is it because I have 6k cards in my mining deck?
>>
>>17605539
Nope, looks about right.
>>
>>17605539
Review growth is actually logarithmic, the 10~20x factor is for people doing 2k/6k since they "end" before it gets crazy.
>>
>>17605546
So you are saying its going to get worse?
>>
>>17605559
It gets increasingly less increasingly worse. If you've been at it for ten months it would take another ninty months for your reviews to double.
>>
am i retarded if i get leech cards? why are some so difficult for me?
>>
>>17605572
How many? 11/1000 for me
>>
>>17605572

How intuitive words are to learn varies wildly, it's to be expected some take longer than others.
>>
>>17605572
I still mix up 跪く and 躓く all the time
>>
>>17605582
4/394 but i think a few words more might drop soon
>>
>>17605524
>Which is the best dialect
当たり前やろ
>and why is it 岡山弁?
ちゃうちゃうちゃうねん
>>
>>17605595
That seems fine. For some reason I had a real hard time with もう/まった/まだ and two of them were leeches. The good thing is that you can ignore any word you want and you'll see it again later when you're reading, picking it up eventually. If you keep moving forward leeches won't matter in the long run.
>>
How come 放つ in the past is 放った but in て form is not 放って?
>>
>>17605684
What?
>>
>You're about to get your head examined by an under-the-table doctor loli in the back of a sex shop.

So this is compelling content...... not bad...
>>
>>17605592
Fun fact about these words in case you didn't notice:
膝ま突く
爪突く
>>
>>17605727
what are you reading?
>>
>>17605800
僕のバルドスカイ
>>
>>17605688
I realize it's a beginner question but I'm not sure if you are just pretending to not understand it.

Tae Kim says to conjugate to て form you conjugate to past and change た or だ for て and で. 放つ in the past is 放った so beginner me would assume in て form it should be 放って, but it's not. It's 放て.

I ask you how come? What am I missing?
>>
>>17605884
放て isn't the て form, it's the imperative.
>>
>>17605884
Install Rikai.
>>
>>17605888
I see. Thank you for your help.
>>
I just started learning jap a month ago on duolingo and I write notes daily to further my understanding, but I'm not sure if duolingo is a good site to program to use. Does anyone know if duolingo is good to use? thanks
>>
https://djtguide.neocities.org/
>>
File: DA1WB3FWAAAE_Bm.jpg (30KB, 1200x562px) Image search: [Google]
DA1WB3FWAAAE_Bm.jpg
30KB, 1200x562px
>>17605921
no
download anki, read tae kim, read read

down here you'll read too
you'll reAD TOO
YOU'LL READ TOO
YOU'LL READ TOO
>>
今あたしは黒いタイツを着ていますよ
>>
>>17605949
asl?
>>
I'm a little confused about this sentence here.
「小春はこの後、料理を作らなければならないのだから、ここは体力を温存するべきだと思う」

I think I know what it means, but not why it means what it means.
I interpreted it as "Since Koharu has to make dishes afterwards, it would better to save energy here "

料理を作らなければならないのだから
The negative ba form of 作る and ならない are confusing me.

Okay so ba form means "if", negative ba seems to be "if not" is that correct? so 作らなければ is "if she doesn't make"
But what is ならない doing here?

Is it saying something like "If it wasn't the case that she has to cook afterwards..." or how is it working?
>>
File: ましろ.jpg (88KB, 312x488px) Image search: [Google]
ましろ.jpg
88KB, 312x488px
>>17605957
男なんですけど
>>
>>17605965
Double negative. It's just a very long way of saying "I must."
>>
>>17605965
As this anon said >>17605984
Negative conditional + ならない/いけない/だめ is "must/have to".
Sometimes abbreviated to just なきゃ
>>
>>17605965

なければならない is pretty darn basic grammar, I'm surprised you're confused about it if you can read well enough to understand the rest.
>>
>>17605984
>>17606002
>>17606004
Oh my god thank you, I'm so stupid why didn't I see this.

>なければならない is pretty darn basic grammar, I'm surprised you're confused about it if you can read well enough to understand the rest.
Yeah I'm quite ashamed of myself right now, not reading regularly fucked me over.
>>
How long takes to 'just learned hiragana' to N5?
>>
File: 1486820699263.png (124KB, 254x254px) Image search: [Google]
1486820699263.png
124KB, 254x254px
>四時までの予定です
>四時まで予定です

どっちですか?
>>
>>17606118
>schedule is until 4 o'clock
>4 o'clock schedule
>>
File: おしり.jpg (18KB, 1174x82px) Image search: [Google]
おしり.jpg
18KB, 1174x82px
>>17606131
It's obviously の、but I'm just curious if you use it with まで and in that context.
>>
>>17604963
まいちゃん大大好き~
>>
Where do you get raw LNs that aren't in the CoR or on nyaa?
>>
>>17606287
Amazon. Got like 4 novels I wanted for only 900 yen total, bless sales.
>>
>>17606287
Why are Nips such cucks when it comes to pirating e-books?
And if something is available it's in fucking pictures of text (sic!).
>>
File: def.jpg (160KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
def.jpg
160KB, 640x960px
>>
>>17606456
japanese is harder to ocr than english so of course there would be less point to convert it
>>
>>17606460
>ocr
Books I'm talking about are available in a text format though.
But those chucklefags are probably too retarded to use one click de-DRM tools.
>>
>>17606469
>>17606460
cont
ocr is only used for old books that never got e-release
>>
>>17606472
Who the fuck are you calling a cont?
>>
>>17606469
More like they don't want to harm the creators they like and support to share with entitled thankless retards like you who can't buy things for chump change.
>>
>>17606460
Japanese pirates lately actually convert epubs into images and release only the images. You can still see the blue links. Most Japanese pirates prefer the images and tend to complain when a raw epub gets uploaded.
>>
>>17605759
I enjoyed this fun fact, thank you for posting it.
>>
>>17606457
I don't understand the "定義なんてものは" in this picture. なんて fucks me up, senpai.
>>
>>17606476
http://lmgtfy.com/?s=d&q=cont
Also, how new do you have to be if you are asking this?
>>
>>17606539
Don't think, feel.
>>17606541
My little anon can't be this oblivious
>>
>>17606545

>Don't think, feel.

I don't like feeling my feelings. Bad stuff down there, senpai.
>>
>>17606478
I mean if you are American then it's not a problem, but I read roughly a book every three days.
It starts adding up. And I'm in a poorfag country so it actually hurts my budget.

But anyway, they do upload books (which voids your argument), but only in shitty pictures. My assumption is they are too stupid to google de-DRM tools.
>>
>>17603560
Hey, I thought I was the only one reading WA. Shit's hilarious, the girls go out of their way to cuck poor Yuki in the worst way possible while she still believes they're her friends.
>>
>>17606482
>Most Japanese pirates prefer the images and tend to complain when a raw epub gets uploaded.
Why are the Japanese so inept when it comes to digital technology?

The vast majority of their websites look like they're straight out of the 1990s and still depend on flash player for any sort of media playback. Even on a major video sharing platform like nico, HTML5 video functionality has only recently been added and is still a beta thing.
>>
>>17606539
なんて derives from などと and essentially means などという
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/165854/meaning/m1u/%E3%81%AA%E3%82%93%E3%81%A6/
田中なんて人、知らない I don't know any person called "Tanaka" (or whatever)
人間なんてものはちっぽけなもんです The things you call "humans" (or whatever) are really quite tiny
I feel like it adds a certain level of 軽蔑
But of course you can't try to slice the definition too thinly, right
>>
>>17606635

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense than any other explanation I've seen
>>
>>17606635
This definition of なんて comes from 何と言う, not from などとて.
>>
>>17606613
most of them cant read the code they work with
>>
>>17606666
That's a different word that's used as an adverb.
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/165853/meaning/m1u/%E3%81%AA%E3%82%93%E3%81%A6/
何てすばらしい絵だ What a wonderful painting.
何て返事を書こうか What sort of reply should I write?
>>
>>17606666
>>17606635
There are two different なんてs. One comes from などと(いう) and one comes from 何という
>>
>>17606687
>>17606689
It's not exclusively used as an adverb. It's used quotatively as well. The main difference is that this meaning is not pejorative. The two etymologies are the reason なんて is scornful sometimes and not others.
>>
I have been doing core2k/6k for a few months now on 10 a day and feel like i have started to see the the same cards as new ones? I just saw genki again is there two for 元気? The one I just saw was vigor/spirits I think the other one might have been healthy/energetic but aren't they basically the same?
>>
>>17606715
You can search your deck.
>>
>>17606714
This dictionary includes the scornful sense in the などと definition.
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/165854/meaning/m1u/%E3%81%AA%E3%82%93%E3%81%A6/
>それを軽んじたり、婉曲 (えんきょく) に言ったり
And I can't find any sources that explicitly say the 何という etymology can be used to quote or that use it that way in example sentences.
But it's really all just a pointless dickwaving argument about semantics in the end
>>
Hey can someone walk me through the stuff in the Tobira mega link? For instance, the use of the Anki decks.
>>
>>17606554
A book every three days is cheaper than a pack of cig a day. If you order a big boxset of manga on amazon, then it's even cheaper.

(I live in a shitty country too, yet the above is true.)
>>
>>17606845
>cheaper than a pack of cig a day
It doesn't mean as much as you think. It only means that retarded addicts waste a lot of money (more news at eleven).
>>
>>17606845
Wouldn't the import tax and shipping rape you? thats what I heard of people who import books.
>>
>>17592815
So I got a new laptop and ITHVNR isn't working. When I go to processes and click attach it just seems to to do nothing. The program seems fine otherwise but it won't attach to any process. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>17606862
Did you accidentally get one with Windows 10? If so upgrade first to 8.1 or 7.
>>
>>17606856

what type of fucked up country has an import tax on foreign books?
>>
>>17606868
My last laptop was win 10 and everything worked fine
>>
>>17606862
Run it as admin? Check that your virus scanner hasn't purged vnrhook.dll?
>>
>>17606862
I had a problem after a windows update, but this version still worked for me after that: https://github.com/mireado/ITHVNR/releases
>>
>>17606870
I would assume that most countries tax foreign books. Why would it be any different for books than say dvd's?
>>
>>17606714
I think I misread your post as meaning 何て is pejorative and などと is not. You're right that 何て is not pejorative.
And you're right about the quoting 何て.
According to 大辞林:
>〔「なんという」の転〕 「なんという」のごくくだけた言い方。 「見たところ-こともないが…」 「 -名前だったかな」
But the same dictionary also lists なんて(などと) as being derived from などとて and as being exclusively pejorative, which the other dictionary does not.

So I think you could make the argument that this なんて is either one based on where and how thinly you decide to slice separate definitions, and whether you think she's looking down on 定義s or not.
But I don't want to do that. I just wanted to try to help someone understand using sources and evidence instead of dismissing the question and making appeals to my own authority. 下げ.
>>
>>17606892

You don't have to pay an import tax on dvds or books in the US on orders less than like 1-2 thousand bucks. At least from japan, that is. I didn't pay any tax on the tea or teapot I ordered either.
>>
>>17606873
Doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade to Win 7
>>
>>17606885
This is it. that dll file was gone. I redownloaded but now every time I try hook the vn the file gets deleted instantly. Microsoft was a mistake. (How do I stop this though the antivirus isn't even supposed to be active)
>>
How do I do that
Because if there's a way to do it I would in a heartbeat tbqh senpai
>>
>>17606934
Whitelist the file in your antivirus (windows defender if you don't have any third party ones)
>>
>>17606942
meant for>>17606933
>>
>>17606942
Format HDD with Win 10 on it and then install Win 7
>>
>>17606965
too much effort.
>>17606947
It was McCafee deleting it. Thanks anon
>>
I can get the jist of doujins now
>>
ぞがぞがする

かぜひいたかな

あきなのかな
>>
>>17607061
As soon as you learned what あ means you could already understand most doujins.
>>
Genki or TK by itself or should I do a mix of both?
>>
>>17606856
If shipping was free, a book would be barely more expensive than a pack of cig in my country (or cheaper if we're looking at high-end cigs)
>>
>>17607097

TK is best used together with something else due to its conscise nature, so a mix of both in that case.
>>
>>17604489
>のを怖かった
reee this isn't what tae kim taught me
>>
>>17607318
It's 怖がった, which can take を
>>
>>17607304
I see, thanks a lot anon.
Do you happen to have a better alternative than genki in this case? Or is my assumption wrong.
>>
今度こそ消えてなくなりそうなんだ
>>
>>17607373

I liked Japanese the Manga Way, I felt like I understood some stuff better from there than from Genki. Genki's probably more thorough, but if you really get stuck not understanding something it can be worth to take a look at some other source like TK or JtMW to see if their explanation works better for you.
>>
>>17607373
Just do Sakubi and read. Alternatively do whatever and read. Sensing a pattern?
>>
If I'm black is it actually worth it to learn japanese for business?
>>
>>17607067
花粉症じゃない?
>>
酔っ払ったけど言っておくや!
全部嘘や!全部!
>>
>>17607423
No, but you can become a JAV actor.
>>
Just wanna thank whoever updates the DJT library. Just got a new kindle and seeing the new additions made my day.
>>
>>17607394
Okay I'll check that out.
>>17607396
Ah I understand! Thanks, I'll get right to it
>>
>>17607551
>Just wanna thank whoever updates the DJT library.
You mean you just wanna thank yourself?
>>
>>17607527
Or a comedian. They already have their token black funny guy so not sure how that would work out
>>
>>17607551
Wasn't he supposed to stop maintaining the site (see feedback)?
By the way, is anybody taking over?
>>
I keep feeling tempted to reread grammar guides. When I'm reading, I keep coming across words with 3 conjugations tagged onto the end, and I don't feel likeI know how to make sense of anything. Sakubi emphasized "don't reread sections or try to memorize" but I feel like I've not retained much information.
>>
>>17607710
Go ahead and reread the sections you're confused about it dude. It's just a warning not to get trapped studying grammar forever without reading.
>>
>>17607710

You're definitely supposed to reread sections when you encounter stuff in the wild. You're just not supposed to reread in isolation in an attempt to memorize all the grammar. Not understanding a sentence and having to look back to a grammar guide is perfectly fine. Once you do this a couple (or several, or many) of times for any given rule you won't have to any more.
>>
>>17607423
It's not worth it to learn Japanese for business no matter what race you are. That ship sailed long ago. The Japanese economy is stagnant and has been for some time.

I don't know what a good language to learn for business is right now. China is slowing down and by the time you learn the language of whatever country replaces China as the source of the world's cheap labour, that country's economic boom will probably be over too. I think learning languages for business is generally not a good idea because of how quickly things can change.
>>
>>17607710
Steve says he occasionally goes back to the "beginner books" (i.e. beginner grammar guides) and flips through them just to see if he notices something he missed the first time.

I can't remember exactly what he says on this subject, but I imagine he doesn't re-read the entire guide/boo from scratch again. Probably he just goes through the example sentences and maybe reads the short summaries of the grammar points he's not that familiar with. Re-reading an entire guide would just be a huge waste of time, and you can get a surprising amount out of just reading example sentences and their translations. Actually, I find example sentences more helpful than explanations (which I usually just find confusing).

Speaking of example sentences, I recommend reading them from a guide which actually translates them into proper English (like Genki). I find the ultra-literal way that Tae Kim (for example) writes the example sentence translations in his guide to just be unnecessarily confusing (I understand his argument for doing it, but I don't think it works in practice).
>>
>>17607946
>180 million people
>3rd largest economy in the world
>Bad for business

MEME ADVICE
>>
I want to 結婚する takese from jpod101
>>
>>17607989
>Speaking of example sentences, I recommend reading them from a guide which actually translates them into proper English (like Genki). I find the ultra-literal way that Tae Kim (for example) writes the example sentence translations in his guide to just be unnecessarily confusing (I understand his argument for doing it, but I don't think it works in practice).
I disagree completely. Translating even beginning level concepts to seem natural in a language forces the learner into a mindset of thinking of grammatical concepts not as they are in the language, but as they fit into the learner's native language. I find genki's translations annoying and counterproductive. As I do with most of genki
>>
Can any of you near-natives tell me how much you have to read before you stop having to look up multiple words a page? So far I've read 19 LNs, 4 VNs, and 2 adult novels and I'm not there yet.
>>
>>17608530
The real question is how many cards do you have mature in Anki?
>>
>>17608530
how many words are in your mining deck
im no where near your level im just curious
>>
>>17608560
13000, but I stopped doing Anki a while ago because I thought it would be better to use that time for reading.
>>
>>17608530
After 10000 hours of anime I only have to look up kanji readings
>>
Is this natural sounding?

>皆さんへのイラストを描きました
>>
>>17608604
へ sounds weird because you are literally saying "to everyone" as in "to: X person" written on mail letters.
>>
>>17608530
>>17608570
How long have you been studying?
>>
>>17608570
It sounds like you're on the right track -- and my Anki comment was pure tongue and cheek :3
Maybe someone has that images that gets posted around here that shows how many words show up and their percentages. I feel like the magic number was around 24k or 30k.
>>
>>17608619
I guess I'm trying to convey something like "I drew a picture for everyone (in the group) as a token of thanks"
>>
File: Fgm6ma8.png (289KB, 1392x805px) Image search: [Google]
Fgm6ma8.png
289KB, 1392x805px
>>17608627
here
if you're at 25k+ mature i don't think you'll be looking up much all that often
the frequency in appears of the upper level would likely only spike on a change of author
>>
>>17608635
Use に instead of への
>>
>>17608640
thanks
>>
Just dropping by to say thank you to whoever wrote 昨日 Sakubi: Yesterday's Grammar Guide. Good stuff.
>>
Just dropping by to say thank you to whoever wrote 今日 Imabi. Good stuff.
>>
haven't seen this many thirsty for (Yous) in a while
しょうがないな
>>
>>17608316
It may be large, but it isn't growing. That's the important part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_economic_miracle
>By 1990s, Japan's demographics began stagnating and the workforce was no longer expanding as it did in previous decades, despite per worker productivity remaining high.

The time to learn Japanese for business was pre-90s. You probably weren't even born when it made sense to learn Japanese for business.
>>
>>17608735
See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Decade_(Japan)
>>
>meet with native speakers
>too scared to say anything
>>
>>17607946
>I don't know what a good language to learn for business is right now.
Literally like any language that isnt dead, so English, not Chinese, Japanese, etc
>>
>>17608747
a wise decision to not inflict your horrible pronunciation on them
many painful winces were avoided this day. it is auspicious
>>
>>17608637
But 98% still means you need to look up at least one word per page on average
>>
>>17608747
>tfw scared of going to Japan now that I made some nip friends
>only ever chatted, never spoken
>really shy
Good thng I don't have the money to go anyways
>>
>>17608768
why is it per page and not per entire book?
>>
>>17602778
Back to >>>/pol/ stupid communist.
>>
>>17608790
..not him, but 98% is 98 out of 100. Do you think there are only 50 pages in a book?
>>
>>17608747
>>17608764
>>17608770
If you never speak, you'll never get better at speaking. Getting to a point where you're comfortable in conversation takes practice. That's what tutors or conversation classes are for, being put in a situation where you can be coached to speak better and learn the natural flow of conversation. If you have had enough listening input, it is natural to develop proper intonation. Today I had a nice conversation with a lady at my japanese grocery store, there was a special event featuring food from 北海道. Normally I speak in english at stores because most clerks are bilingual, but the いかめし lady spoke very limited english so I switched to japanese. It's kind of hard to work up the guts to do it, but it's like giving speeches or asking out girls, it gets easier every time.

I used to think those polyglots who go into malls/supermarkets and converse in multiple languages weren't really doing much because the conversations aren't particularly deep, but the action of speaking on the spot, having the brain automatically search through what you know to express yourself, and learning how natives speak is rewarding and I think enriches other aspects of learning the language.
>>
>>17594525
"usually written in kana" means everyone but edgy VN and LN writers write 蝋燭 as ろうそく
>>
>>17608932
>it's like giving speeches or asking out girls
I avoid both of these like plague
>>
>>17608955
That's just not true, 蝋燭 is written in kanji way more often than in kana. In fact almost always.
>>
>>17608932
Im glad you're extroverted and find a good ROI on learning to speak. Most of /jp/ and those interested in otaku culture are going to be introverted, so the only time speaking would get used is in the learning process.
Those that have an acceptable offline life with friends don't need escapism.
>>
>>17608955
If you honestly believe that, try reading more manga. Edgy isn't the word I would use to describe using kanji for words which are commonly also written in kana.
>>
File: 1475305507346.jpg (332KB, 1413x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1475305507346.jpg
332KB, 1413x2000px
こいつぁ俺をホモにした
どうしよう。。
>>
>>17608790
~400 characters per LN page, 2% of that is 8 characters, which is more than one word.
If you go by pages like >>17608923 , you would only get a few pages (~5-7), but those would be pages where you don't understand a single word. 98% comprehension probably doesn't work like that, unless you read weird stuff.
>>
>>17608637
>tfw you only know a few thousand words

It feels like its getting harder and harder
>>
File: 160430xv6a.jpg (89KB, 555x400px) Image search: [Google]
160430xv6a.jpg
89KB, 555x400px
>>17609198
>It feels like its getting harder and harder
>>
>>17607441
かふんしょうじゃないんじゃない?
>>
File: pJyWpKKelaSbsKg.jpg (86KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pJyWpKKelaSbsKg.jpg
86KB, 640x480px
>>17609426
季節外れと思った
>>
When using the も particle do you have to restate the extra non-subject stuff?
>この えんぺつは かわいいです。
>本も かわいいです。
In the above if I just said "本も。" for the second sentence would it be correct or would it be considered an in complete sentence or something?
>>
>>17609466
夏の花粉症もあるらしいよ

でもめずらしいんじゃないかなあとおもうよ

いま耳鼻科いってもガラガラだよ
>>
500えんでまたくうきせいじょうきつくったー

くうきせいじょうきが何万円もする

にほんはちょっとおかしいとおもうよ
>>
File: chon.png (5KB, 327x86px) Image search: [Google]
chon.png
5KB, 327x86px
tee hee
>>
>ご令嬢
rikai dude is off his meds for this reading
>>
>>17609955
why?
>>
>おい! どうしてくれんだ!
どうしてくれないだ ?
What does this mean, on google i found something like
どうしてくれよう→ふざけんな but its hard to search for just kana
>>
>>17609981
どうしてくれる(のだ)

It means like "what the fuck are you doing"
>>
>>17609992
>どうしてくれる
ah cheers
>>
>>17609981
しゃべったひとがどんなひとかで

いみがぜんぜんちがうとおもうよ
>>
>>17608768
No, it means you know 98% words, among them words that appear a lot. Words you don't know are very rare so you almost never see them.
Your logic would only work if every word was used as often as any other word.
>>
>>17609155
see
>>17610092
>>
>too scared to speak japanese but it's not because i'm bad at japanese it's because i have autism and i also stutter and lose words in my native languages
>>
>>17610114
Who said that?
>>
>>17610117
me
i forgot the tfw
>>
>put screenshots of vn to use as example sentences
>sex scene comes
>I now have porn that nonchalantly syncs between all my devices

So this... is the power of ANKI
>>
>>17610117
Welcome to 4chins, enjoy your stay.
>>
>>17610114
Strangely enough even though I stutter in both my native language and English, I don't stutter in Japanese at all. Although in the few actual verbal conversations I've had I pause to think about my wording much more, so maybe just because my brain is focusing so much on using the right word I just have no chance to stutter.
>>
>>17610114

Speaking is a skill like any other, the best way to improve it is by practicing.

Speech therapy exists too if it's real bad.
>>
>>17610136
>have a little brain damage
>can speak Japanese just fine
Is that coincidence?
>>
>>17610114
>>17610125
>>17610164
sup /int/ /djt/ bro!!
>>
>>17609918
亜人
>>
>>17608637
http://allthingslinguistic.com/post/155043761501/what-80-comprehension-feels-like
>>
>>17610091
あの時、メインキャラは超緊張している
>>
File: 1503124777977.png (631KB, 770x720px) Image search: [Google]
1503124777977.png
631KB, 770x720px
>>17610239
>tfw you couldnt joople the bingle in time, and you beloved borgled in front of you
>>
>>17610240
あたまいいきゃら?

あたまわるいきゃら?
>>
File: 789590687.png (1MB, 1030x604px) Image search: [Google]
789590687.png
1MB, 1030x604px
>>17610273
先ず先ずとか...特にわるい人じゃないと思うよ
>>
Who here just reads and doesn't do any SRS?
>>
>>17610299
パニックかもしれないし

脅迫かもしれない

いろんないみにとれるよ

あとその鎖骨は男の鎖骨だよね
>>
チャンネルが切り替えられない上、放送されている番組の内容は最悪につまらないときている。

is that と+来る at the end? sounds weird so im not sure
>>
アホになってしもうでぇ・・・
>>
>>17610312
What do you read?
>>
>>17610357
その語尾にあんまり意味はないよ

ちょっとした強調じゃないかなあ
>>
>>17610393
Visual novels, light novels, futaba channel, doujinshi

Anything I come across, really.
>>
>>17610312
Have you never done any SRS, or did you get to a certain point and then stop?
>>
>お父さんに入れるよう言っときなー
hlep, what does 言っとき mean?
>Go tell your dad so that he brings it back in.
Should be the meaning though, right?
>>
>>17610419
I've dabbled in it from time to time but I can never stick with it.

I originally learned my first chunk of vocabulary from reading through Yotsubato! and it never felt like I was memorizing anything; words just kind of stuck after a while. This method gets harder once words become rarer, but I figure if I spend an hour reading, it's better than an hour spent on flashcards. I might be wrong though.

In any case, it's more fun and sustainable this way.
>>
File: 1474749074242.jpg (165KB, 700x988px) Image search: [Google]
1474749074242.jpg
165KB, 700x988px
Have we got a PDF or some such format of HJGP yet?
>>
>>17610460
https://core6000.neocities.org/hjgp/
>>
>>17610455
I started a week ago and learned kana in a day. I tried to use anki the day after and it was workable with simple kanji. However the second time I got swarmed with 26 cards and got stuck for over 50 minutes and it just didn't work. After a while I could understand what the kanji were about but the words wouldn't come out.

I'm trying to find simple material to read at the moment and maybe later on I'll try anki again.
>>
>>17610575

You probably ought to study at least the basics of grammar before worrying about reading material.
>>
>>17610521
That works well for looking thing up, but I wanted a document on my computer that I could just read through.

I tried converting the images to a PDF myself with imagemagick, but it keeps failing. I guess my PC is too much of a toaster to deal with ~750 images with ~5000x8000 resolutions.
>>
>>17610575
When I started, I read through Tae Kim's grammar guide (it's been a long time since then so I don't know what's currently recommended for grammar references) and read through Yotsubato!.

You won't understand it all, but it will come pretty naturally at some point. It was interesting going back to earlier chapters and easily reading what used to be utterly confusing to me.
>>
File: dekinai56345.png (2KB, 234x118px) Image search: [Google]
dekinai56345.png
2KB, 234x118px
>>17610575
>I got swarmed with 26 cards
Anon around 250-400 cards are standard after some time.
At least if you want to learn Japanese within your lifetime.
>>
>>17610678

More like 100-200 unless you fucked up somewhere along the way.
>>
>>17610312
Me. It just becomes a source of procrastination for me because I find it so tedious and boring.

"I'll do it later... I'll do it later... I'll do it later...", and until I get my reps done I don't feel like I can settle down and start reading or anything.

Anki seems to be really popular in online Japanese-learning communities, but if you look at people who have learned English, hardly any of them have even heard of Anki, let alone used it, so I figure it must be possible to learn Japanese without it.

>>17610455
>In any case, it's more fun and sustainable this way.
That's exactly my experience. With Anki out of the picture, I feel much more motivated.
>>
>>17610678
I have 120-170 every day and I must say it's going pretty well.
>>
>>17610689
>but if you look at people who have learned English, hardly any of them have even heard of Anki, let alone used it, so I figure it must be possible to learn Japanese without it
Of course it is, but Anki makes it a hell of a lot easier.
>>
>>17610689
no

you can read English words even if you don't understand them, you don't know how to read kanji if you don't know their readings
>>
ゴボウでしばくぞ
>>
>>17610704
English words have "readings" of their own that you have to memorise. English spelling seldom reflects how a word is actually said.

You act like you can't learn how to read a word without drilling it in Anki. I know from my own experience that that is completely incorrect.
>>
File: ghoti.png (33KB, 663x456px) Image search: [Google]
ghoti.png
33KB, 663x456px
>>17610704
>you can read English words even if you don't understand them, you don't know how to read kanji if you don't know their readings
I bet English is your native language.
>>
>>17610717
https://youtu.be/1edPxKqiptw?t=15
>>
>>17610717
That reading of GH is not valid at the beginning of a word, and that reading of TI must be followed by a vowel.
>>
ioで

ってよんじゃうフランスにはちょっと無理があるとおもう
>>
>>17610717
I'm ESL but I lived in the US for 2 years when i was 3-5 (language sensitive) so picking it up was really easy when I grew up
English pronounciation only affects how you vocalize the word, not the meaning, it's a whole different beast to japanese where you have one kanji with 14 different readings and meanings

>>17610714
I'm not saying you can't, but Anki is a great deal more useful for Japanese than English or romance languages because of kanji.
>>
>>17610092
This.
The idiots misinterpreting the pic drive me up the wall to be honest.
>>
>>17610714
>English spelling seldom reflects how a word is actually said.
I know what you're talking about but just rewriting your post phonetically shows that words are more often than not close or nearly identical to how they're spelled:

Inglish wurds hav "reedings" of ther own that you hav to memorais. Inglish spelling seldum reflekts hau ah wurd is aktyually sed.
You akt liek you kan't lurn hau to reed a word wifout drilling it in Anki. I no frum my own eksperiens that that is kompleetely incurrekt.

Yes, some words are pronounced phonetically to other words (no and know, there and their and they're, etc.) and arguably C instead of K where words are pronounced with a K is utterly dumb, even more so in cases like "unnecessary" or "accident" where the C doesn't sound like a C at all, either it sounds like an S or a K.
>>
>>17610743
then how about fotiy (fishy)
>>
>>17610749
>English pronounciation only affects how you vocalize the word, not the meaning
"A tear" and "to tear".
>it's a whole different beast to japanese where you have one kanji with 14 different readings and meanings
I've had more problems with English than with Japanese to be quite honest. In English when I read a new word I have to hear it at least a couple of times if I can't figure out the pronunciation based on the experience I've had with the language. The same is when I hear a word - I have to see it written if I can't figure out how to spell it. It's happening less often than when I started learning the language, but still does. In Japanese, however, I have less problems. I now most of the readings based on phonetic compounds in around 3500 kanji I know (it allows me to get the 音読み reading and the meaning based on the kanji) and I have a rich native Japanese vocabulary, so I can figure out the 訓読み reading based just on the meaning of kanji it is written with. It is true that I had to study individual kanji to achieve that, but I believe there are less exceptions to the general rules than in English where the reading can be affected by the roots of the word and the meaning is impossible to get without knowing at least some part of the word or the Latin/Greek/French/German/??? origin.
>Anki is a great deal more useful for Japanese than English or romance languages because of kanji
I'd say Anki is as useful for Japanese as it is useful for English. It all depends on your study method.
>>
>>17610597
>>17610621
I've started on tae kim's guide and I'm about to finish the basic grammar. However I want to learn kanji and vocab in the meantime as well.

>>17610678
First time I used anki with Core2k/6k I got simple kanji/kana like それ, 千 and 六 but it still took half an hour because I had never seen kanji before. The day after I couldn't figure out kanji when 九つ turn out to be kokonotsu and I got 26 different kinds of them.

I'm thinking about going back and doing it even if it's going to take me hours judging by you guys.
>>
>>17610792
When I was starting out I didn't even know what Anki was (then I came here and my life turned to hell), so I familiarized myself with simple kanji like the numbers (1->10, 100, 1000...), directions (up, down, left, right, front, back), colors and so on. I also knew how to read numbers, because I've been training martial arts when I was a kid and the gym I went to had an autistic couch counting in Japanese as well as telling us Japanese technique names. He screwed it up most of the time (it was really cringeworthy now when I look back at it), but I got into my first Anki session with some background knowledge. If you have problems with the first 100 cards, try doing what I did. Get into it with at least something, it might be easier for you if you study a little at your own pace and not get an avalanche of cards your second day in.
>>
ねむれないとき

あのんなにする?
>>
File: neurons_on_fire.png (854KB, 857x482px) Image search: [Google]
neurons_on_fire.png
854KB, 857x482px
>i'm leaving, just make a new site
>offline archive is broken
>>
>>17610792
My advice is only learn the standard 1-10 and suspend 一つ,二つ、and the like, same for the days( 四日) and learn them later.
This way you at least know that 4 + つ means 4 things and 5+日 is 5th of the month or 5 days, it's not that important to be able to pronounce it yet.

Those cards are fucking hard for a beginner and they are better learned outside of anki imo.
>>
>>17610928
https://mega.nz/#!YdplCYyY!qAszevH2l98jvBeP_GRE43HTxz1rfpSZxKuAMJRtEZ4
>>
>>17608637
This image sucks. I want to know what the numbers are, excluding conjugated forms of verbs and adjectives, phonologically changed forms, and some cognates with different orthographic forms.
>>
Anywhere I could get core 2k (or even 6k) as a text file instead of Anki decks?
>>
>>17610969
get the anki deck --> File-->Export
>>
File: 1356657231801.jpg (138KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1356657231801.jpg
138KB, 1920x1080px
>>17610976
What kind of format does it export to? I don't Anki installed, could you do it for me? 頼む
>>
>>17610967
I think it does what you want. By "include", it means that it counts all of those variations as a single word.
>>
>>17610959
Why are some things not in there (e.g. core6000.neocities.org)?
>>
>>17610986
You can chose between exporting notes, which gives you a tab separated table with all fields (to import into Excel, etc...), or cards, which gives you the HTML-code for your cards including all formatting (one line per card)
>>
File: text coverage.jpg (202KB, 1190x906px) Image search: [Google]
text coverage.jpg
202KB, 1190x906px
>>17610092
It's worded quite awkwardly, but I'm pretty sure this can't be the definition of "text coverage" that you're imagining. In particular, low frequency words providing low text coverage directly contradicts what you just said.
>>
>>17610836
The only background I got is 10 years of anime but it's actually helping my vocabulary a lot.
>>17610953
I'll skip them for now. I tried kanjidamage+ deck just to see how easy it was in comparison and I finished the first 20 kanji cards in 20 minutes, much easier.
>>
>occasionally say でも instead of 'but' while speaking in English without realizing it
>occasionally use a Japanese verb in an English sentence without realizing it

this is not okay
>>
>>17611064
Fucking kill yourself, my d00d.
>>
>>17611064
This is what monolingual americans believe learning other languages is like
>>
>>17611064
I've never done this but I've defaulted to counting in Japanese when I tried to count in Spanish.
>>
How do I learn from mistakes? I did some exercises and failed a few questions. I'm so lost right now.
>>
>>17610999
That's a separate site that I'll still update occasionally. I'll make an offline archive of it later.
>>
>>17610991
Ohhh you're right. That red "combines" should have told me that.
>>
>>17611091
Do you remember what you did wrong? If yes, congratulations, you have learned from mistakes.
>>
Is there any value to learning N5 over just reading and studying vocab? It seems like it would be useful for all more basic, every day kanji to learn in a neat little packaged group.
>>
>>17610439
言っておきなさい
>>
File: 1504046858444.jpg (72KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1504046858444.jpg
72KB, 600x338px
>>17611180
I'm N5 level and I can't read shit. Only on occasion do I recognise a word or phrase, but the rest is still uncomprehensible to me. It's just enough for some basic survival if you want to go to Japan as a tourist without relying on English speakers. You can at least ask where the toilet / train station is, and hope they point in the general direction.
>>
>>17611091
It's easy. Doing exercises was your mistake, don't do them anymore and you've learned from it.
>>
あのレストランは、( ) からしてわたしは好きにならなかった。

a 料理
b 食器の色
c 味

Correct answer is b but I think all answers could be valid. Do I have to choose a more superficial example for the grammar point からして?
>>
>>17610460
There's a PDF download in the CoR. I'm phone posting otherwise I would link it
>>
>>17611064
Do you feel cool now? Because I bet your friends if you have any think you're retarded as fuck. Congrats.
>>
>>17611467
からして is used when making judgement from indirect observation, not after having experienced something directly. I believe the sentence implies that she saw something about the restaurant that turned her off it before she had actually tried it. Hence 食器に色 is the only thing that fits. If she had actually tasted/eaten the food and were expressing her opinion based on that, からして would be a strange sentence pattern to use.
>>
>>17611036
>kanjidamage+
Don't. Go with KKLC or something.
>>
>>17611107
It's not that I want take over (but maybe someone else will be willing), I just wanted a backup of everything, especially the grammar reference.
>>
>>17611584
>making judgement from indirect observation, not after having experienced something directly
I see, that explains it. Thank you.
>>
does someone have a place where text would be 100% in katakana? i need to learn this shit one day i know hundreds of kanji but i still can't read katakana fluently
>>
>>17611587
I will try that one, thanks.
>>
>>17611693
The old articles in the Japanese constitution. Katakana is used as okurigana there. Or any other "official" text from before the language reforms. Watch out for the old kana orthography if you want to understand anything.
>>
>>17611726
>Watch out for the old kana orthography if you want to understand anything.

>考へてゐなかつた
Thread posts: 712
Thread images: 75

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.