[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Everyone always talks about the Windows Touhous, but what about

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 17

File: best reimu.png (238KB, 500x317px) Image search: [Google]
best reimu.png
238KB, 500x317px
Everyone always talks about the Windows Touhous, but what about the PC-98 ones? How do you feel about them, /jp/?
>>
File: 1487431683525.png (39KB, 156x196px) Image search: [Google]
1487431683525.png
39KB, 156x196px
>>17436013
HRtP is ZUN's programming exercise
SoEW is okay
PoDD is shit but it has some gud music
LLS is decent
MS is amazing
>>
Sariel is my favorite.
>>
I don't really care about them or the games.

Like ZUN!
>>
>>17436043
I just realized I interpreted "Touhous" as "Touhou characters", hence that first sentence. Huh.
>>
>>17436047
OP here, it's fine. I'm open to discussion on both
>>
PoDD is a blast.
>>
>>17436013
All of them are great but the LLS clear screens are absolutely amazing.
>>
File: 1388847018821.jpg (440KB, 731x985px) Image search: [Google]
1388847018821.jpg
440KB, 731x985px
The PoDD cast is the best.
>>
>>17436066
Are you series? PoDD might just be worse than HRtP
>>
>>17436013
I'm in love with PoDD
>>
>>17436125
If you play while trying to get lots of reflections/explosions it's really hectic and high energy, especially on lunatic speed. I've had some really fun runs with it, although Reimu or Chiyuri pretty much always ends up destroying me anyway.

Lots of people seem not to be able to appreciate the Phantasmagoria games. For some reason they just don't get how they can be fun, but I think you guys are missing out.
>>
File: sh02.jpg (171KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sh02.jpg
171KB, 600x600px
>>17436184
Phantasmagorias were so lovely
>>
>>17436121
Quite literally a cast of borrowed characters and designs.
>>
File: 1385543609066.jpg (467KB, 1280x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1385543609066.jpg
467KB, 1280x2000px
>>17436024
Really just came to post almost exactly this, but I guess I could expand upon these opinions.

HRtP has a very unique atmosphere, and feels almost melancholic and at times even unnerving when compared to the rest of the series. Might be worth playing just for that. OST is mostly forgettable but there are some fantastic songs in there. The game itself kind of sucks though.

SoEW has some really cool concepts, but the bugs and jank make it kind of a choir to play. Bombs as a random drop is an incredibly dumb idea, and the fact that tapping is more effective than holding down the shoot button is bad design. As well, there are certain areas where bullet visibility is poor, notably stage 4. Mima's "I'm going to charge forward" is probably the dumbest boss move I've ever seen in a Touhou game. Extra is bullshit.

PoDD is broken on a mechanical level and really needed several fixes that were finally provided when ZUN fine tuned the concept years later in PoFV, but as PoDD is it's just a poor man's TSS. New characters outside of Chiyuri and Yumemi sucked. Cutscenes were cool.

LLS is a good game, but the difficulty peaks at stage 4 which is odd.

MS is fantastic and is on par with some of the better Windows games. Stage 4 has bullet visibility issues, though.

>>17436067
It's a nice reward, I appreciated getting them for 1cc'ing things like Lunatic and Extra. Wish later games did it too.
>>
>>17436184
PoFV is fantastic, and Seihou's Phantasmagoria is fun to mess around with. Though, I'm sure that Seihou's gimmick of grazing to win would translate poorly to netplay.

PoDD just does several things wrong, and it's a real chore to play as a result.
>>
>>17436345
You're not wrong, but it's still a nice cast.
>>
>>17436024
>PoDD is shit but it has some gud music
>some
and sympathy
and heart
>>
>>17436013
LLS has my favorites OST from any of the mainline 2hu games. Alice Maestra and Faint Dream are some of my favorites. I also think that it has some of the best ZUNart of any Touhou game. And, while minor, how can you not love it's Japanese name "Touhou Gensokyo".
>>
They have an incredibly comfy feeling. FM SFX, all that negative space in the art. It really is like a dream land.
>>
>>17436394
The world needs more detective Marisa.
>>
File: lls.png (18KB, 386x128px) Image search: [Google]
lls.png
18KB, 386x128px
>>17436536
ZUN's art peaked during Lotus Land Story.
>>
>>17437982
that elly is perfect
>>
File: 19965922_p0.jpg (178KB, 750x650px) Image search: [Google]
19965922_p0.jpg
178KB, 750x650px
>>17437982
art are not pictures, bunch of plebs, ZUN art is everything he has done

why does retarded society: "art = drawing"?? fags can't even recognize ZUN art and hard work
>>
File: Touhou.full.1627909.jpg (347KB, 800x565px) Image search: [Google]
Touhou.full.1627909.jpg
347KB, 800x565px
Which of the three human scientists (Rika, Rikako and Yumemi) do you like most? I like Rika.
>>
>>17438352
Renko.

But Yumemi is a close second, and has the best theme of the bunch.
>>
File: yumemi renko.jpg (697KB, 664x3048px) Image search: [Google]
yumemi renko.jpg
697KB, 664x3048px
>>17438359
How do you feel about Yumemi being Renko?
>>
>>17438544
It's like a Strawberry Crisis in my pants.
>>
File: 1462621989138.jpg (1MB, 1000x1256px) Image search: [Google]
1462621989138.jpg
1MB, 1000x1256px
>>17438544
So... basically Renko is a Jew.
>>
>>17442211
She wears a rabbi hat after all.
>>
>>17442225
It's like annadah shoah
>>
File: 1482308705787.png (2MB, 1042x1473px) Image search: [Google]
1482308705787.png
2MB, 1042x1473px
>>17438544
That theory's nice and all but it forgets that Chiyuri's story confirms that Yumemi and Chiyuri came from a parallel universe, and there already was a Chiyuri (likely a Yumemi as well) who used magic in Gensokyo.
>>
>>17442732
You're implying that Yumemi and Chiyuri's stories are canon, when they're both clearly just things that were tossed in for the sake of allowing the two characters to have stories without changing up the final two fights. I wouldn't take them any more seriously than Reimu and Marisa's cameos in Seihou.
>>
>>17443269
The canon of PC-98 is already shaky enough but dropping lines like "this world's Chiyuri" usually isn't something that would be treated as throwaway.
And even if you choose to ignore that, there's still the fact that Yumemi never says anything that implies she's from the future like Renko and Merry are. She constantly says "this world of magic" instead of saying the past or whatever, which would imply that she isn't even from the same world to begin with. Keep in mind the idea of "Gensokyo" as it is in current canon wasn't developed at this point in to begin with so it's not like there's some outside world they came from.
>>
>>17443329
Again, you're assuming that the events seen in Chiyuri's story are canon. If you were to assume that, then you'd have to assume that Yumemi's story is canon as well, despite the whole "duplicate Yumemis" things not being mentioned in any other story.
World of magic, as well, could be seen as her using flowery language to describe the world of Gensokyo, which to her may as well be an entirely different world. There is one line that she has that contradicts the theory, admittedly (that her ship doesn't travel through time), but that could either be retconned fairly easily, or just dismissed as her ship not working as expected (and frankly, considering how Reimu and Marisa age, time working weirdly in Gensokyo wouldn't be a stretch).
>>
>>17442211
>Renko is the name of an old Japanese price chart.
>Renko A type of chart, developed by the Japanese, that is only concerned with price movement, time and volume are not included.
>Ghostly Field club has Renko wearing banker's sleeve garters and a Star of David pin on her tie

Hmmmmmm.....
>>
>>17443358
>Again, you're assuming that the events seen in Chiyuri's story are canon. If you were to assume that, then you'd have to assume that Yumemi's story is canon as well, despite the whole "duplicate Yumemis" things not being mentioned in any other story.
I didn't, I simply said dropping certain lines wouldn't be treated as something you can simply disregard. Of course clearly in this game not every storyline happens, but certain things said at least add to world building. In this case, saying something like "this world's Chiyuri" would give more background to where they come from. Saying it's just her language seems like stretching it to me.
>>
>>17443390
But when the world building is simply used for the sake of making a "what-if" story actually possible, is it even real world building?
And I would bring up how "this world's Chiyuri" never comes back up in any later games, but honestly that's true of everything in PoDD, which in all honestly makes it kind of hard to gauge what exactly actually happened during it.
Plus, if I were to be honest, I'd rather take a theory maybe being plausible that actually gives PoDD's story some sort of relevance over a dumb plot device that's never mentioned again that makes absolutely no sense within the context of the greater Touhou universe. Because, as it is now, PoDD is the most irrelevant game in the entire franchise. Even HRtP, the game that had no story, has more story connections to the entire series than PoDD.
>>
>>17443411
>But when the world building is simply used for the sake of making a "what-if" story actually possible, is it even real world building?
I don't see why not, when it comes to Touhou, the story routes of games are usually ambiguous, depending on the game. And whatever comes after in printworks or other games doesn't usually help. We never know who's route is the "true" one since printworks afterward take events from multiple routes and piece them together to paint a bigger picture. Like in IN's Team Scarlet end, they talk about building a rocket, which would later happen in SSiB. And the Ghost Team's end let's us know that Eirin is also a Hourai immortal, though we don't know if either teams actually solved the incident. Despite that, their stories what-if or not can give us important information about characters and the settings.

But yes, PC-98 games barely reference each other so it's a pain to discuss their canon and what's true or not in them, so really you just gotta take what you can get and make of it what you will for each game.
>>
File: 50483794_p0.png (1MB, 817x1459px) Image search: [Google]
50483794_p0.png
1MB, 817x1459px
>>17436024
>>17436394
Similar thoughts here, but:

I think HRtP's soundtrack is actually great as a whole, partially due to the unique atmosphere it helps create. SoEW, LLS and TD have a similar dreamlike feeling that the other games don't have.

SoEW has some fantastic stage themes that are overshadowed by how bad everything else is. Despite this, I enjoy playing it more than the Phantasmagorias and especially HRtP.

PoDD's soundtrack is one of my favorites. I actually really love the cast, but that's pretty much only because of the cutscenes.

LLS is a game I keep returning to. Yeah, it's piss easy, but I find it relaxing. I would say the same about TD if it didn't have the trance system.

MS is one of my favorites in the series overall, but similar to EoSD it can be really janky. You can tell that ZUN his heart into this one, but his inexperience shows at times.
>>
>>17436536
Alice Maestra is really fantastic. Structure is a little weird but the main melody is ace. It feels like a Seihou track somehow, though.
>>
Some of them are pretty good. SoEW is meh tho
>>
>>17436024
Weren't HRtP and SoEW released simultaneously?
>>
I really like SoEW. Mostly because of Mima and her amazing theme (Reincarnation too), but I am also really fond of master-apprentice relationships. The endings were super cute too.
>>
Better music than windows
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.