[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How has the culture of moe otaku changed from the early

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6

File: 17627.jpg (172KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
17627.jpg
172KB, 640x480px
How has the culture of moe otaku changed from the early 00's to today?
>>
>>17352995
there are more traps now

which is a good thing
>>
Any media experts want to write a big wall of text about this subject that I will read and find very interesting...? D-don't all post at once everyone....
>>
>>17352995
Source is Galaxy Angel for those who were curious.
>>
>>17353109
You're going to have wait a lot more than a half hour for that one. Maybe forever, but you never know.
>>
>>17353134
I will wait patiently!!
>>
>>17352995
Back in the 2000s we had cat girls, maid robots, cute ninja, lolis, and mysterious elf/alien chicks. Nowadays everyone calls them all monster girls with no distinction.

>>17353109
Do your own homework.
>>
The tits got bigger and uglier.
>>
>>17359338
I think tits are overall down from the late 90s and early 2000s style giant torpedoes. Certainly there have been series with larger breasts than the largest back then but it's not that common.
>>
>>17362351
You're right that big tits have lost some market share, but I don't think they were ever that significant in moe circles, where innocence is generally prized, in the first place.
>>
>>17352995
It hasn't.
>>
I can say some stuff here because this is my era. Early 2000s moe otaku culture was a generally happier time in my opinion. Most 'moe' shows were less based around the cuteness of the characters and more based on comedy antics, so that reflected in the fans and culture.

Culturally this changed quite a lot because in the mid 90s there were still a lot of hard sci-fi otaku but they were beginning to peel away because everyone was split on whether Evangelion was a good thing, some had made the jump into being what I call 'character driven' otaku (A lot of these guys were starting to ride the new eroge/VN wave) and were generally seen as creepy whereas others were steadfast in that mecha anime could only be a certain format and withdrew into Macross/Gundam franchise more. That was about 97-99

What you have to remember about the early 00s though, is that first of all not many people used the term 'moe'; it wasn't in the common lexicon like it is now, not even with otaku. The term 'tsundere' was only starting to get traction too, so people didn't really think like that when they saw a cute show.

Secondly, there was a lot less anime in general airing at the time, so things moved slower. We might consider anything over 4 years old to be 'old' now, but back then people would dip in and out of series a few years old and they'd still be considered modern because a lot of otaku back then were still the Yamato types, but a lot of 'moe' otaku as we'd call them now were actually the same sci-fi otaku, the smaller amount of anime meant that otaku generally had wider tastes.

I already explained in another thread about how Akiba changed since then (visited in the late 90s, moved in 2000) so I won't type it again, I think it's the same posters in these 'old days' threads anyway.

Back to what I was originally saying - in the early 00s the types of otaku who specifically were into cute shows were generally more cheerful than their sci-fi (or modern day) counterparts. I think a reason for this is because while shows like Di Gi Charat or Galaxy Angel were very much nighttime anime shows, if you liked cute anime you'd generally be watching mahou shoujo (or just shoujo) too, whereas now if you like 'moe' shows, you're probably not watching Jewelpet and Precure is as far as you go.

The early 'moe' otaku if you want to call them that were a lot more open about their hobbies, they didn't really hide it away because they weren't coming from a 'creepy' mindset, they just liked cute shows and the moe they felt was more like one would feel to a mascot suit rather than an anime schoolgirl, it was more interchangeable with 'kawaii' culture rather than being a specifically 'I like cute girls' thing. It's hard to explain, but I hope that all makes sense.
>>
File: moe.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
moe.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
>>17377229
>What you have to remember about the early 00s though, is that first of all not many people used the term 'moe'
They used it enough to make fun of people using it.
>>
>>17377229
>Most 'moe' shows were less based around the cuteness of the characters and more based on comedy antics, so that reflected in the fans and culture.

In regard to modern anime and manga, this is easily noticeable by anyone with a functioning memory. Moe shows and manga were once comedy gag reels with a loose plot, but one they stuck to regardless.
The modern moe show is typically a slice of life comparable to a US sitcom that revolves around cute character interactions.

The difference is one such that the characters were once a part of the show, and now they are the entire show.
>>
>>17377253
>They used it enough to make fun of people using it.

Not as such, it was referenced occasionally but not anything like it was from about 2004 onwards.

I think the distinction I would make is that previously it was more of a feeling, whereas now it's more of an identifier. I think most people understand moe is a feeling, but they use it more as an adjective whereas back then, people weren't using the word enough to really understand it as an adjective.

If you'd had said 'Moe shows' in the late 90s/early 2000s people wouldn't have totally understood what you were talking about because there wasn't a kind of unified idea or general aesthetic as to what was considered 'moe'. I remember at the time when the Saimoe started on 2ch it was just a popularity poll, nobody had a fixed idea of 'This is moe', that was more something that kind of came with Nanoha and stuff in the more modern iteration of cute girls in anime.
>>
>>17377456
>If you'd had said 'Moe shows' in the late 90s/early 2000s people wouldn't have totally understood what you were talking about
There wasn't quite the brainless 4koma derived cute girls shows that Azumanga sort of spawned back then though.
Also I would argue that people still don't truly know what you're talking about unless you say "moe style" since "moe" is tossed about towards anything with cute girls as a focus.

>Saimoe
Do they still do this? I forgot that even existed. What kind of tripe wins nowadays?

Also on a tangent, is Jewelpet worth watching? I didn't really get into Precure although I like the idea. It's too little girl toys ad for me, even though I like magical girl stuff a lot.
>>
I don't want to sound pedantic but I think there may be a difference between moe character and bishoujou, and part of it involves this shift in otaku, since it seems to me the first term has been much more used lately
This use of the word bishoujo is somewhat among the lines of
>>17377229
what I call 'CHARACTER driven' otaku (A lot of these guys were starting to ride the new eroge/VN wave) and were generally seen as creepy
>>
>>17352995
That was the golden age of it.

I think moe is rather either too sexualized or too infantilized now. It's divided and has crept too far into one side or the other.

A good example is how the Galaxy Angel troupe is comprised of girls of various different ages with different draws and personalities, but all of them are still ``moe.''

You don't see much of an age spread between a cast these days that can still be referred to as moe.
>>
>>17377551
>Also on a tangent, is Jewelpet worth watching?

If 'little girl toys ad' is a problem for you then probably not. If you're fine with Sanrio/Bushiroad type shows for kids then you're fine.
>>
>>17377395

This is the reason why most modern "moe anime" sucks for me at least.

I really miss funny stuff like Ichigo Marshmallow, Azumanga, Lucky Star etc yet when I try discuss it people pretend there is no difference between then and new anime like Gochiusa
>>
>>17389926
What is the difference?
>>
>>17377229
>visited in the late 90s, moved in 2000
How has Japan changed from 2000 to 2010 and from 2010 to 2017? What has changed over time? Is it the same like with Western countries in that it just got worse and worse as years passed by?
>>
Call me retarded but words changing their meanings over such a short period of time hurts my head.
Also don't bother telling me the different meanings which moe has had, it has already been said here. Now off to ponder about the mindset of the moefag otakus of that time I guess.

>>17381871
>too sexualized or too infantilized now. It's divided and has crept too far into one side or the other.
Like what shows or series? What do mean by a sexualised moe show?
>>
>>17381871
>A good example is how the Galaxy Angel troupe is comprised of girls of various different ages with different draws and personalities, but all of them are still ``moe.''

Isn't this because they're from a galge? You have to have a variety of girls for the guy to go after there, as opposed to a manga about a bunch of girls who are together because they're of a similar age and have a similar background e.g. are classmates.
>>
>>17377229
>>17377395

To sum it up: back then the entertainment inspired the tastes, and today, the tastes inspire the entertainment

For quality work to exist, the creators need to give priority to their own creative drive and intuition over catering to the viewer's wish fulfillment
>>
It was a very vague progression that started sometime during eroge VN wave and ended at the turn of 00s and 10s (Lucky Star being likely the main catalyst as far as anime is concerned), but the fanbase itself became jaded and cynical. They used to watch anime, read VNs, etc for their plot and substance, regardless of genre, with cute girls as a nice eyecandy bonus and occasional fap material. But when they eventually grew tired of of having the better life in animu waved in front of their eyes all the time, they realised they only care about the last point and the new generation of otaku followed suit. The entire adult anime-related industry recognised the needs of their customers and made all their products about highly appealing female casts more or less subtly whored out to the audience. Plot and substance became not simply unnecessary, but outright liability - they get in way of fantasizing about all the things you'd do with your new seasonal waifus before dumping them and moving to the next ones.
The above is literally the story of myself, and I'm pretty sure it's also the story of majority of otaku, Japanese and otherwise, whether they'd like to admit it or not. I'll always treasure legitimately good anime like Galaxy Angel in OP's pic, but I feel that humanity has run out of good stories to tell in general, not just in adult-centric Japanese market, and I have nothing better to do with my sex drive, so I eat this shit up along with everyone else.
>>
>>17391610
None. They're all bad
>>
>>17377229
There were already lots of anime and computer games in the 80s revolving around bishoujo. With late night anime, that stuff just left the confines of computer games and OVAs.

>>17381871
>sexualized
>infantilized
These are SJW buzzwords.

>>17393340
>The entire adult anime-related industry recognised the needs of their customers and made all their products about highly appealing female casts more or less subtly whored out to the audience.
The industry itself is staffed by otaku/fans and is fed stories (manga, light novels, games) by otaku/fans.

>Plot and substance became not simply unnecessary, but outright liability - they get in way of fantasizing about all the things you'd do with your new seasonal waifus before dumping them and moving to the next ones.
Substance is a meaningless buzzword and there is no shortage of anime with plots.
>>
>mfw I'm only moving to Japan in 2018 so I'll miss out on comfy old comfyness.
>>
A downside to early 00's anime was lots of early cgi cells and shotty korean outsourced filler. Some anime from then still looks really good, but a lot is unwatchable today with embarrassing off model moments.

I think these days there are still low budget and high budget anime every season, but most of it generally looks better. The general rule that by episode 3 characters start to go off model still applies. Of course, the better studios do things better.

I agree that today there's a lot more cute character driven moe versus slapstick comedy. I think one demand that is being fed is today's fans like to be transported to a world that's simple, clean and cute. Abrasive tones that are too serious or too comedic can break the "trance". Still, every season has a big variety of stuff not just cute slice of life.
>>
>>17392178

I can't really be bothered to write it all out, but there was a few posts I wrote in this thread which might inform you: https://warosu.org/jp/thread/S17298995#p17309782 You can probably tell which are mine from the overall tone of writing but if you have any questions then let me know.

>>17393122
Hmm...I generally dislike using the word 'quality' because I find it to be separate from enjoyment. There are plenty of anime, games etc. which have pretty ropey quality but are tons of fun regardless. But you are right in that creators need to make what they want as opposed to what they think other people will want, that's consistent across all art forms.

>>17393999
>There were already lots of anime and computer games in the 80s revolving around bishoujo. With late night anime, that stuff just left the confines of computer games and OVAs.

If you're using the term 'bishoujo' in the literal sense then yeah there were but if you've been following things for long enough you know that in this context 'bishoujo' is used as shorthand for a particular trend in the scene that started taking shape from the mid/late 90s through to the mid 2000s. Technically speaking you could say 'cute girls doing cute things' has existed as a theme since the 60s but we generally use that term to describe a trend mainly observed in the late 00s/2010s.

>>17398165
I think as above, it's important to separate quality from enjoyment. Outsourced animation is nothing new and still persists to this day, generally the series that are looked back on the most fondly aren't necessarily the best animated or have the strongest narratives, they just have that X-factor that makes them a joy to watch. It's the same with music - the best songs aren't the ones that are most musically complexed or have the best sound design, they're the ones that invoke the most emotion in you and they have a charm that you can't quite describe.

The main thing is that people shouldn't say 'Era X is shit/good because of this reason/that reason' or else we end up either stuck down nostalgia-lane or doing the contrarian thing of disregarding everything that isn't bleeding edge new. The most important thing is that we need as many creative people making the art they want to make as possible because that ultimately is where great content comes from. I said the same thing in my little tirade about Akihabara, good content breeds culture and we need to enable that as much as we can.
>>
>>17353020
no
>>
>>17401574
Bishoujo as the exact trend you're thinking has been a thing since the '80s. We're just at the end of a long shift to long-tail-ism that places TV series as popular now as moderately niche OVAs were then.

That's the big change now. Everyone has a hole that's just for them, and there's very little effort put into crossover or breakout projects because they don't work; of the three we've seen in the past decade or so two were doujin trends which almost completely escaped monetization, and the third was dragged out back and killed in favor of a demi-reboot sister project with tighter contracts and a more cohesive marketing plan.
>>
>>17398165
>A downside to early 00's anime was lots of early cgi cells and shotty korean outsourced filler. Some anime from then still looks really good, but a lot is unwatchable today with embarrassing off model moments.

I think it was honestly just shitty studios that made popular anime and either they make less popular anime or people avoid them more nowadays. That horrible use of 3D in early 2000s stuff was pure shit though. It's still usually shit today too for some reason, which is weird because nowadays you could animate something in a video game or MMD and have it turn out well and just use that as a base for an anime.
>>
>>17401892
>Bishoujo as the exact trend you're thinking has been a thing since the '80s.

No...I know what you're talking about and it's separate from what I'm talking about. What you've said there is a far more 'upper-level' sweeping generalization of trends in anime, it's the notion that comes from the Toshio Okada perspective on 'Otaku' which stops at somepoint in the mid-00s, it's separate from the more granular 'street level' perspective that you'll find from most people who have been going to Akihabara regularly for the past few decades.

The reason for this is because the former perspective looks at trends strictly in anime and categorizes them as such much like a critic would, whereas the latter is based upon events and turning points that have changed Otaku/Akiba culture and have directly influenced anime and the surrounding culture as a result. Tokimemo's release was the real start of what we would consider the true bishoujo wave as it shifted from being incidental to a primary focus. When people turned out for the release it was insane - there's never really been anything like it since, the presence of the crowds were powerful enough that everyone related to otaku culture in some way stood up paid attention; you could feel the change happening. And when it was followed up with the massive popularity of ToHeart a few years later it was enough of a 1-2 punch to set anime dead-ahead on that course for the next decade or so. Forgetting the typical 'Yamato/Macross/Bishoujo' outlook you always hear from the older guys who see things in different timescales, the more pragmatic version of events is far more specific.

It's the same as the release of Windows 95 - people don't realize just how big that was and what influence it had on otaku culture as a whole because you can't really see it in a direct way, but it was huge - it changed everything about how people engaged with their hobbies, how they interacted with each other (And I'm not talking about the internet) and what they expected from their hobbies overnight, it's the sort of thing you can't 'unthink' once you know it. You can look at its predecessors and see it as just another logical step forward, but the actual impact is different, you needed to have been there before and after to understand it.
>>
>>17404812
i sincerely hope no one takes your blogposting as authorative
>>
File: face.png (20KB, 270x320px) Image search: [Google]
face.png
20KB, 270x320px
Does anyone else feel like Japanese media in general is going through a big shift right now? No longer being a thing by/for Japanese people, but becoming a globalized commodity like American media and following suit with western cultural trends? I mean, you've got multiple studios premiering new shows in L.A, which never would have happened 10 years ago.

I'm pretty sure this is why I've lost all interest in modern anime.
>>
>>17406064
>Does anyone else feel like Japanese media in general is going through a big shift right now? No longer being a thing by/for Japanese people, but becoming a globalized commodity like American media and following suit with western cultural trends?
No, and furthermore, I wonder what the fuck you are talking about.

Also anime is already global and American media is made for Americans
>>
>>17406171
>No, and furthermore, I wonder what the fuck you are talking about.
I mean greater interaction between the American and Japanese markets. Nowadays you'll have Americans talking to anime/manga creators directly, and in terms of numbers they're far greater than Japanese fans are. Why, just google "anime", look at the news tab, and you'll find American companies directly funding new projects like that music video from a while ago, FLCL2+3, etc.

>Also anime is already global and American media is made for Americans
Never said they weren't.
>>
>>17406208
>Why, just google "anime",
Search the internet in English and you get results in English about English speakers. Wow.
>>
>>17406239
Well no kidding genius, that doesn't contradict any of the points I made.
>>
>>17406208
>>Also anime is already global and American media is made for Americans
>Never said they weren't.
Yes you did. You said anime was becoming globalized as opposed to what it was, and you implied being globalized meant it was "No longer being a thing by/for Japanese people"

American media is globalized and is a thing by/for American people. It's not aimed at any one else and anime isn't aimed at anyone else either. Arguably anime outside kid shows isn't aimed at "Japanese" to begin with, but at "otaku" who are outliers of Japanese people and not even really a concept that only applies to Japanese people. Anime has long been the other thing besides American media that has worldwide appeal. Even old people will talk about how they liked Kimba or Speed Racer or Gigantor or something.

>I mean greater interaction between the American and Japanese markets.
No. Even before moving on, in the 80s, like half the cartoon stuff that came out in the west was some French/Japanese, Canadian/Japanese, or American/Japanese production. It was the era that spawned Transformers, the biggest mix of East and West, and Battletech, probably the second biggest.

>you'll find American companies directly funding new projects like that music video from a while ago, FLCL2+3, etc.
Yeah so, there was that Daft Punk anime and Big O season 2 before. Boondocks inbetween and a number of projects with Marvel and DC like the Madhouse Batman and Heroman.

>Nowadays you'll have Americans talking to anime/manga creators directly
At anime conventions? WOW.

>and in terms of numbers they're far greater than Japanese fans are
Source: Your ass via the vague knowledge of USA alone having 2.5~3x the population of Japan and /a/ obsessing over nobodies like Trigger and that girl with the manga about the autistic chick.
>>
Maybe this can help
http://archive.is/2p397
>>
>>17406393
>At anime conventions? WOW.
Yes, but also through Twitter and by supporting their work financially. Heck, a lot of them know Japanese now, so the middle-man is cut out.

>Source: Your ass
By all means, prove me wrong.
>>
>>17406438
>By all means, prove me wrong
Even if I did or if I didn't, it doesn't change it's out of your ass.
>>
>>17406467
I admit it, but I'll gladly accept any legitimate evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>17406393
>that girl with the manga about the autistic chick
sauce?
>>
>>17406480
I mean watamote or whatever. The one where they sent a bunch of pix of dix to her.
>>
>>17406393
>It's not aimed at any one else and anime isn't aimed at anyone else either.
I beg to differ. Can you really say any of Trigger's work isn't aimed at Americans?
>>
>>17389926
>Lucky Star
Literally the start of neo-moe.
>>
>>17352995
I hate to give this guy any air time, but Di*ibro recorded a video about this subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7UXKDskrNc
>>
>>17391610
See
>>17377395
>The difference is one such that the characters were once a part of the show, and now they are the entire show.

>>17392178
Azumanga Daioh and Kanon started the trend
Haruhi solidified it and created the aesthetic we've been watching for the past decade
K-On wedded it to CGDCT and made moe the only game in town for several years
That's it basically.
>>
>>17410737
At what point where they not the entire show? Because I think that way about Azumanga and Lucky Star. Lucky Star itself was compared to a sitcom a lot. I think it's just they ran out of 4koma and started making original anime, or possibly it's just an imagined difference since those types of shows still revolve around "humor", but then so are sitcoms. The "com" does mean comedy after all.

Also why is the entirety of your anime experience seemingly following Kyoani?
>>
>>17406064
>Globalized commodity like American made products and trends
No nothing is going through a globalized shift. Calm down, go- I mean guy. Everything is entirely fine, same as usual nothing has changed. No globalization here at all. Especially not with the coming olympics. The influx of brown people are just people who have always been there and the media has always appealed to westerners on the wide scale it is doing now. C'mon. Listen to the other anon who responded to your post. Everything is hunky dory.

Shit's going to be fucked by the time Olympics reach Japan and we all know it anyways.
>>
>>17352995

Just like the OVA industry eventually went bottom-up due to a combination of economics, change of consumer base, and new media tech, same thing is happening to late night television. And late night TV was the outlet for moe otaku for years.

OVAs shifted from amibitious standalones and spinoffs to either effective pilots for future tv series, or inbred fanservice (Hyper Doll, Idol Fighter, Battle Skipper, etc..), before they rolled over and died. Likewise, "moe" anime have been inbreeding (distilling down successful aspects over the years based on profitability, until there's very little variety left), were hit hard by 2008, and have a new generation watching.

It's been mentioned here, but moe changed the first time when late-night TV hit anyway; it's going through a second motion now. Originally it was a character archetype, a girl which is not a child and not a woman, that inspires both erotic and paternal attraction in one feeling, a budding flower and burning love, hence why it's derivative from 燃える.

First you had shows involving such characters (mostly children's broadcasting, but a few exceptions), then shows centered around those characters (00's), then shows which were nothing but those characters (CGDGT in our slang)

>>17377551

If you can't get into Precure, there's no chance of you enjoying Jewelpet. If you already have a taste for children's shows, it's excellent. Mostly. Each season does its own thing.
>>
>>17411011
Kyoani inspired a lot of the tropes that follow modern anime, especially with Haruhi. That being said, as influential as Azumanga Daioh was, it mostly inspired comedy anime like Kill Me Baby and Nichijou. It also played a part in developing Lucky Star and later K-On as well, but I think K-On and Haruhi overall had the biggest impact, especially with K-On popularizing SoL and leading way for shows like GochiUsa. But SoL has been popular in the past with shows like Hidamari Sketch and Aria, just not as widespread.

Shaft also played a huge part in popularizing some modern day tropes.
>>
>>17406438
>Heck, a lot of them know Japanese now, so the middle-man is cut out.
"Americans who know Japanese and import goods" are such a miniscule fucking nothing in the market that they are essentially market irrelevant. Japan may get a tenth of a cent (amortized, we all know it's not paid-per-view) for every episode watched on Crunchyroll but they get even less from Western Japanese speakers between their tiny numbers and tendency to pirate everything.

Even those who do pay for things usually end up buying goods that are actually affordable, like source novels (studio sees nothing; may have indirect impact through contract value) or character goods (if you're some fucking batshit who buys a thousand dollars of character goods for a series, the studio might make a hundred dollars out of it. Unless it's an adaptation, in which case they could also get nothing.) Almost nobody in the West imports anime because they think the correct price for 36 episodes of animation is fifty bucks instead of a thousand dollars.
>>
>>17411140
>>"Americans who know Japanese and import goods" are such a miniscule fucking nothing in the market that they are essentially market irrelevant.
I can't believe that's true when we have multiple anime series premiering at conventions in California.
>>
>>17414568
Those premieres are subtitled.

You could argue that the big success of Japanese-language concerts at anime conventions indicates that there's a lot of people fluent in Japanese but I still wouldn't necessarily buy it.
>>
>>17415962
>Those premieres are subtitled.
Yeah, but they're still shown there first, so obviously the studios have a vested interest in appealing to Americans.
>>
>>17411085
/pol/ go away
>>
>>17401892
This is late, but what's the third breakout? One is Touhou and the dragged out back and shot is either Fate or Triangle Heart/Nanoha. Is it Higurashi/Umineko? Vocaloid?
>>
>>17405019

It's authoritative inasmuch as it's my personal experience and I was acutely aware of the situation at the time, I think that is as good as any critic or expert. There isn't really an established authoritative otaku 'expert' for the time period we're talking about anyway so it's probably as good as you'll get online. Who else really is there? Maybe Tohru Honda? Even then he wasn't so granular as to speak specifically of eras like we're doing in this thread.

>>17406064

I know what you mean, but there was actually a similar attempt about 20 years ago in the late 90s/early 2000s where specific inroads were made onto the west coast to appeal to American anime fans off the back of the success of Pokemon, Toonami etc. I was near the centre of that and it was actually what brought me to Akihabara in particular in the late 90s/early 2000s, I'm not going to go too far into it because it's a bit personal not really relevant but I mentioned some of it in the other thread about Akiba I linked.

Anyway, back then certainly isn't as big as it is now because platforms like Crunchyroll are reaching out to literally everyone all over the world, not just America but to some degree you're right and it's basically just a result of the internet in my opinion. I don't personally feel that the content of anime is being influenced by American culture though. There may be a few fringe series that have but I don't feel like it's a sweeping trend, the most prevalent trend at the moment I'd say is the surge of female-oriented anime.
>>
>>17406064

No, anime is more isolated that ever, creatively. Can't speak for other things like the music industry, though.

Most classical anime was directly influenced by western culture, Star Wars, Alien, Blade Runner, WMT, etc. There's some overlap with capeshit and Trigger, but its really an insignificant part. It's just easier to make it instantly available in foreign countries today.
>>
>>17406064
No, you're just a dirty weeb upset normies can like the thing you defined yourself special with.

Osamu Tezuka was directly influenced by Disney, Ghibli movies too. Captain Tsubasa made Messi and Ronaldo both want to be footballers. The Boondocks was animated by Production I.G. If you are not Japanese, the only reason you have anime to watch was because things that were seen to sell in your market, to your people, got imported. There's been cross-pollination of East and West since the birth of the medium.
>>
>>17419830
>No, you're just a dirty weeb
So you're on the Japanese culture board ironically, then?
>>
Isn't the entire American market miniscule relative to the global market for anime/manga as a whole?
>>
>>17427309
In monetary terms, maybe. In terms of cultural influence, definitely not.
>>
>>17392178
They started letting foreigners in. It's all downhill from here.
>>
>>17427309
I swear I saw a chart showing money spent on anime per country once.
>>
Why do all these fakeoldfags keep going on and on about how everything is dead and dying and sucks and not a SINGLE ONE OF THEM have ever heard of Ikebukuro or know anything about any future animation techniques that have been in development for the better of five years now.

"The scene" is dead because YOU are dead; you have failed to keep up with its evolution.

Once the white man decides to set up shop and deliver the first 4-cour-$500k-an-ep series to us, that will be the end of that. It can't be done by the Japanese alone because they're allergic to 3d (motion sickness) and they're still printing comics on toilet paper, and if they can't get past that they'll never make it when vr anime starts showing up.
>>
>>17401574
This dude is even comparing that random loony who killed people in akiba to the fucking world trade center. Cannot make this shit up.
>>
>>17392178
>Is it the same like with Western countries in that it just got worse and worse as years passed by?
I hope you don't actually believe this
>>
>>17444004
I believe this
>>
>>17444004
It's true, though.
>>
I can't speak for Otaku Culture since I don't live in Japan, but anime as a medium is going pretty strong I think. The amount of series we get per season nowadays is ridiculous, even with large amounts of samey stuff the pure quantity of series released means there's usually at least a couple that stick. Compared to the 90s/early 2000s where there was less than half as much made per season of course there's gonna be more filler to dig through looking for gems.

I will say that I'm pretty worried about the increasing use of CG though.
>>
>>17443294
>>Once the white man decides to set up shop and deliver the first 4-cour-$500k-an-ep series to us, that will be the end of that.
I believe you mean "the Indian man".
>>
Are there even any boy/girl romances any more in anime or manga? Now it's all gay shit.
>>
>>17451989
They seem to only exist in harem works. Romantic comedies may have died after Chuunibyou.
>>
>>17452249
>>They seem to only exist in harem works.
Are there even any of those anymore? I can think of maybe 1 harem anime that came out this year.
>>
>>17451989

There's still boy/girl romance stuff most seasons, last season had Tsuki ga Kirei which was pretty good I thought. It's true that romance is less common nowadays as a genre (even including gay stuff), there were so many for so long that I kind of welcome that sort of shift in the medium though.
>>
>>17352995
Galaxy Angel Remaster with additional Harem ending and end with Tact marry all of them ala Tenchi Muyo when?
>>
>>17377229
thanks for all your hard work
>>
>>17419682
Well do you know what is a capeshit story?

My Hero Academia
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.