[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making a lecture about TRPG in Japan. I'm looking

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: 6544aa40c70c4266.jpg (297KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
6544aa40c70c4266.jpg
297KB, 800x1200px
I'm making a lecture about TRPG in Japan. I'm looking for knowledgable person who could answer my questions about this subject. Right now I'm collecting materials from English Wikipedia and google translated Japanese Wikipedia. I found out about such obscure things like Role & Roll Magazine and Wizardry RPG from 1988. Anyone can help?
>>
I would like to know:
- what systems were popular in 80's
- what systems are popular now
- are there online communities for TRPG?
- what is the demographic for TRPG
- are there TRPG conventions
>>
You should go to /tg/ or /r/.

D&D is what they're inspired by mostly. Also look up Record of Lodoss War and Queen's Blade, both of those are based on tabletop things.
>>
>>17076413
On what exactly is Queen's Blade based?
>>
>>17076424
Nevermind I found out.
>>
>>17076254
/tg/ here that lurk Nico.

System that are popular back in the 80's are the old Sword World - also look into the whole setting that spawned Record of Lodoss Wars and Rune Soldier.

Systems that are popular right now? Call of Cthulhu is popular, as are Sword World 2.0. Shinobigami is gaining popularity. On the more animoo side there's KanColle RPG. Nechronica deserves honorable mention as well.

A personal favorite of mine is Satasupe - supposedly stands for Saturday Night Special. It's an AsianPunk setting with sex, drug, and rock and roll. Literally, it's one of the karma's ability.

I don't know about online communities, but there are a lot of large replays that blew up really big, including the fiasco that 水瀬陽夢と本当はこわいクトゥルフ神話 ended up being. tl;dr someone tried to monetize a CoC replay with Yukkuri and Touhou chara and things went down wrong.

I don't know demographics or TRPG conventions specifically, but Comiket DOES have people selling TRPG stuffs, from replays to manuals and the like.
>>
Let's start with Lodoss. Lodoss was one of the first "big thing" that hit the population during the late 80's to early 90's, and eventually turned into a whole anime series.

They first used the D&D system (Presumably AD&D rather than the good ol' Red Box?), but it got so big, they made what's called Record of Lodoss War Companion and released in 1989. Between that and the successful novelization, and the eventual anime, it became a milestone for TRPG that we know.

There's also Dragon Magazine - like, D&D on the Western side has a Dragon Magazine, but I meant the Fujimi Shobo one. That's where they carried Sword World RPG, Rune Soldier, and Slayers during the early day. Beside for the anime stuff that we know, they also have replays - the one that I have contained a Shadowrun (3.0 I think?) replay.
>>
File: 14907541_p0.jpg (971KB, 933x800px) Image search: [Google]
14907541_p0.jpg
971KB, 933x800px
Like, in early day Japan (And up to a point still), the common d20 dice set used in D&D isn't exactly easily obtainable, so the systems that got popular are the d6 systems - or systems that use six-sided dice. Notably, the 2d6 system that Sword World RPG used was so iconic, a lot of modern system still uses some variant of the 2d6 system.

With Group SNE publishing Sword World RPG and the setting around Forcelia campaign setting, things take off. I wasn't participating in TRPG of that time period, so rest of the history is fuzzy for me at best. I know for sure that Hobby Japan pushed Dungeons and Dragons 4e for a while - and there are replays available on youtube. However, compare to the vast amount of Sword World 2.0 replays, Dungeons and Dragons replays are nearly extinct on Nico.

... There is one D&D that I know of on Nico, and may very well be the only one: Remilia playing as the DM, and Youmu, Yuyuko, Reisen, and Okuu as the players. (Youmu was a Warblade -> that elven prestige class from Book of Nine Sword, Yuyuko was abjurer wizard, Okuu playing FLAME STRIKE.cleric, and Reisen going some psion build).

< Picture included.
>>
File: i149815.jpg (47KB, 250x349px) Image search: [Google]
i149815.jpg
47KB, 250x349px
There's a rather meta manga that's worth mentioning, Quick Start!! by 安達洋介. It's a comedic 4koma about girls doing their best and playing TRPG, likely with experience drawn from the author's own experience. Some stuff in there are really neckbeard-y and requires a good degree of understanding of TRPG during that time period to understand. The TRPG systems that they played in there include at least Double Cross, Arianrhod, and... Some stuff. My memory is fuzzy. Cover included.

Last I heard, /tg/ was translating the manga, while other groups have jumped in. You can likely find at least the first volume of it on the internet if you give it a look.
>>
For popular systems, we can take a look at the ゆっくりTRPG tag on nicovideo for what's "hip". Yukkuri TRPG tag is a tag used for TRPG replays, where there's voiceover by Yukkuri Voice (And often, Yukkuri characters). The nicovideo dictionary page has the information that you may be interested in.

Included are the page's video overview separated by common categories.

From Group SNE:
>Sword World/Sworld World 2.0
>End Breaker! (I have never seen or hear about this one)

From F.E.A.R.:
>Arianrhod 2E
>Double Cross 3rd

From Bouken Kikakukyoku, Adventure Planning Service:
>Satasupe
>Dice Fiction type

Other Japanese native TRPGs:
>Nechronocia: The Long Long Sequel

Oversea system that's popular enough to have their own category,
>Cthulhu TRPG (w/ yukkuri characters)
>Cthulhu TRPG (w/o yukkuri)
Yes, it's popular enough that they divvied it up to two category.
>Paranoia

Video Original TRPG:
PsychicTRPG [Steel Yggdrasil] (It's actually fairly cool)

But honestly, the page isn't updated enough. As mentioned before, Shinobigami's stupidly popular these days.

Shinobigami has a Kickstarter bringing it over to the Western market, by the same guy that kickstartered Ryuutama and Tenra Bansho Zero, both popular in their own right.
>>
File: Untitled.png (673KB, 520x707px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
673KB, 520x707px
Log Horizon has their own TRPG, with system similar to Arianrhod or D&D 4e, and a monthly digest on their own official website. While it's not insanely popular, anyone whose's interested in both Log Horizon and TRPG should check it out.

There is a partial English translation out there on the internet for the rule. Of note is that Log Horizon TRPG, unlike the other ones, benefits vastly from having a board - other TRPGs you can generally get away with text and very good descriptive skills while keeping track of numeral distance in your head, but Log Horizon has some pretty extensive terrain rules that nobody use enough.
>>
File: 18074523_p0.jpg (353KB, 1128x786px) Image search: [Google]
18074523_p0.jpg
353KB, 1128x786px
Online communities - well. If anyone know them, let me know wwwwww

On nicovideo, the uploader of the replays tend to get a nickname attached to them, in the format of something-something table, or some other weird nickname.

For example, リアル童貞の人, a Call of Cthulhu replay uploader, earned his nickname due to using Darkest of the Hillside Thickets's Nyarlathotep as the opening, and Japanese people soramimi's Nyarlathotep's name into riaru doutei.

Other video uploaders are known for their distinct Game Master - When someone mentions the "Hakutaku Table", they mean a famous Sword World 2.0 table where Keine is the GM - same goes with the Daiyousei table. (See picture attached for fanart).

Lastly, some community names may be dedicated to in-game reference, such as the case in 東方緋想剣's table, where fanart dedicated to them often use the tag "緋翼連理の四枚羽", their party name.
>>
>>17076254
You want to lecture about TRPGs in Japan but you can't read Japanese so you want other people to do the research for you.

Solution is not to lecture about TRPGs in Japan.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 592x829px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 592x829px
Of things that you SHOULDN'T mention in your lecture is of the /d/eviant kind, obviously. Japanese people will make a TRPG out of anything, from H-games to Maids (Maid RPG is an actually fun system to play). One of note is Zettai Reido - I was going to upload the cover, before I realize I would basically censor the entire thing. Translation effort for Zettai Reido was underway before people dropped it for some reason. The translation is incomplete, and out there somewhere.

Beyond that, Touhou - of course - has its own fanmade TRPG system. Or rather, there's a few of them out there, with the most commonly known one over here being Touhou Danmaku Yuugi ~flowers~. Touhou Danmaku Yuugi is rather... Clunky in places. But nonetheless, it's one of the earliest attempt out there for a published TRPG rulebook for playing TRPG set in Gensokyo.

>>17079520
Yeah, I am basically doing his homework for him at this moment - he likely has an university research paper to do or something and can't be assed. But whatever - if information here can get people interested in Japanese TRPG or even TRPG in general, my work is done.
>>
TRPGfag, did you follow the Stripe Pattern Red Dragon blog thing that eventually became Chaos Dragon at all?
>>
>>17079550
Are there any good Jap wargames? I don't like TRPGs but I like wargames.

>One of note is Zettai Reido - I was going to upload the cover, before I realize I would basically censor the entire thing.
Link it on imgur please. I tried looking it up and just got some shit tv show.
>>
>>17079562
Not really - I know of it, but the setting doesn't draw me in as much as they should, and it honestly did not make that big of a splash in the scene that, after the initial news, I basically never heard about it ever again until Chaos Dragon. Sorry

>>17079568
Here's the /tg/ wiki page on Zettai Reido: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Zettai_Reido

Japanese wargames? Uh, not that i know of - they play Warhammer 40k as well, as far as I know, but in much smaller population. I'm sure they do - I mean, they are into history stuff enough to make KanColle a thing.
>>
File: Untitled.png (96KB, 249x326px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
96KB, 249x326px
Urobuchi's character in Red Dragon is the most memorable thing for me, 妖剣・七殺天凌 (Demon Sword: 7-Slay Heaven Ascendent to translate off my ass.). You can really tell Urobuchi's naming sense here and what eventually lead to the best puppet show in 2016. I think in the anime they genderswapped both the sword and the wielder?
>>
>>17079587
Japan's FATAL looks pretty funny. Although I wonder how everything has dicks but yet there are no dudes...
>>
>>17079604
>best puppet show in 2016
I actually was only planning to watch it because I liked a lot of the Stripe Pattern works, but in the end I never got around to it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With a review like that I'll probably kick it up the list.
>>
One of the most memetastic system in Japan is likely GGwK: Geisha Girl with Katana. It's a TRPG system where you play as foreigner players playing TRPG about Japan, with all the resultant hilarity. They intentionally woven in the stereotypical misunderstanding about Japan from foreigners that the Japanese commonly perceive and... Well.

In GGwK, your player's character's (You play as "Tom, the player of Shigeru the Ninja", not "Shigeru", after all) class is restricted by your gender - that you can only play as a "Ninja Boy" or "Sumo Wrestler" if you are male, while "Geisha Girl" or "Kunoichi Girl" is restricted for female. Every class are the common Japanese stereotype from the 70's. And in combat, the first round everyone must prostrate themselves toward each other, or lose all ties automatically due to shamefur dispray. It's great.

>>17079612
There are 3 gender options: Male, Female, and Futanari. And much like some other Japanese TRPGs, there are "follower" items that give you buff and can be used as part of the scene, from Maids to, uh... "Snakes". That and it can go down to tentacle actions or bestiality easily. The rulebook actually mentions, first thing first, that the players and the GM should come to an accord as to what's "comfortable" for them first before playing.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.