[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are most otaku men rather than women and why is otaku media

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

File: 1388627666004.jpg (518KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1388627666004.jpg
518KB, 1280x720px
Why is otaku culture more famous among males rather than females? Why is it a "nerdy" thing rather than a NORP/mainstream thing?
I just asked myself this because, when you think of it, otaku culture is pretty girly. Idolmaster is girly. Vocaloids are girly. Anime and manga are girly (specially SoL and moe). Most otaku merch is girly (figures are like dolls, and then there are those fluffy body pillows we call dakimakura). Kizuna AI is girly. I could go on and on. Almost all aspects of otaku culture are very girly, except a few like, say, H-games.
That being said, the question is why is it that otaku media is practically impopular with females, and instead is consumed mostly by males? And why did otaku media end up as a nerd thing rather than a mainstream thing?
I think it might have to do with the way it spread to the Western world, you used to have to go to one of those video rental stores in order to watch "classical" anime, it wasn't very accessible at the time and only people who were really into it could get their hands on it, then the stereotype of liking anime equals being a nerd stickied around, I see this as the only possible explanation but it feels like it's just a bad excuse and wanted to ask /jp/ what you think about this subject, on the origins and explanations of the phenomenon at hand.
Keep in mind I'm not saying it's good or bad to be mainstream or nerdy, to be manly or girly, etc., and by nerd and nerdy obviously I'm not being literal, it's just a way of wording the idea, this is an impartial thread in such subjective matters.
>>
>>16793262
Because many females follow what is popular, not necessarily what is actually girly--it's a social trope tied to their obsessions with social status. It happens that most things that they like is girly, since both being tied to them and boosting their feminine appeal are good for building social relationships and for attracting a stalwart alpha male. Most of the girls that are into anime are the outcasts--you know, the ones that have personalities and such that are just like their male counterparts. In most fashion circles, liking anything weird or too far from the norm is a social death sentence. Since anime is typically perceived as such, the effect is strengthened by the group/clique/etc.'s own attribution to it.

There isn't much of any rhyme or reason to what these kinds of people think, other than that these kinds of people need something to look down on in order to make themselves feel like they're better than other people and that. And that's exactly what it is.
>>
Most otaku are most likely female, they drive the industry, are primary cosplayers, and probably produce the majority of doujin works that aren't just random images.
>>
half of american anime convention goers are women
half of japanese comiket goers are women

these are, however, social activities

the kinds of people who lock themselves in their room to watch over 500 anime are isolating themselves and isolation is primarily a male thing, but since we're all the kinds of people who lock themselves in their room there's basically nothing but males around
>>
File: cover.jpg (219KB, 800x798px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
219KB, 800x798px
It's interesting how cute girls are at the heart of most otaku media.
>>
>>16793348
>American convention goers
HAHAHAAHAAHHH
>>
>>16793262
Because 99% of the female gender lacks free will.
>>
''Since Comiket's inception, artist attendance (so called 'circle participants') has been predominantly female, though there have been recent changes in that in the last several Comikets. In Comiket 84, for example, women comprised 57% of the 'circle participants' while men comprised 43%. Meanwhile, attendees at the convention itself tend to favour men. In Comiket 78, for example, men comprised 64.4% of general participants while women only comprised 35.6%. However, depending greatly on the year, the participation by various genders has fluctuated wildly.''

I think there's some females interested in anime/otaku stuff but they seem to have differences compared to male fans. For example, a female anime fan would do stuff like cosplay at conventions while a male one would be a reclusive watching anime at home or something.
>>
>how did otaku media end up as a nerd thing
Dude, it's cartoons. A lot of it's dirty cartoons at that.

BTW, OP, you are clearly female. Please ask this on /cgl/, where women belong.

>>16793348
Online gamers are like half women too.
>>
Have you noticed that there's virtually 0 women in the "deep otaku culture?" Virtually no women in the hardcore DIY coder scenes?

Women aren't as good at isolating themselves and give too much of a fuck about what society thinks. They're not as logical either.
>>
>>16794599
>Virtually no women in the hardcore DIY coder scenes?
>They're not as logical either.
>Coding was invented by women
>>
I hate this thread. Identity politics go here: >>>/pol/
>>
>>16793972
OP explicitly mentioned the western scene, making anime conventions relevant to the conversation, but if you're some sort of hardcore purist japanophile who thinks only japan matters i also went out of my way to include a jumping off point for a discussion of actual japanese otaku culture if that's what you wanted

but instead of trying to discuss something that you may think actually matters, you instead focus on the one part of the post you don't like so you can shit on it

what a faggot you are
>>
File: comiketdemographics.png (143KB, 1101x841px) Image search: [Google]
comiketdemographics.png
143KB, 1101x841px
I think you're mixing up several things.

About male and female otaku:

First, men react more strongly to visual stimuli than women, so it's no surprise that purely visual media is more popular among men. It's just how things are, if you don't believe it or are interested in learning more I recommend you to read this series: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolution-the-self/201205/the-triggers-sexual-desire-men-vs-women

Second, the "stereotypical" otaku (filthy, never leaving home, with narrow obsession) is also mostly a male phenomenon, for similar reasons to the above. The rate of social isolation and a strong interest in systems are also more prevalent in males.

Third, if you take a look at the doujin world, you'll see that women actually outnumber men, especially among content creators. In fact, Comiket and doujinshi works in general started as female-dominated fanfiction. At its core, doujin is about passionate people creating art because they like doing it (most lose money), and I'd say this is not sex-specific.

Also, I think you're confusing "girly" and "appealing to females". When you say "girly", you probably mean something like "has no violence and many cute girls doing cute things" (that's why you mention SoL and "moe" shows), but that has nothing to do with being appealing to females. Meanwhile, series with a predominantly female audience like Kuroko no Basket or Tiger & Bunny aren't "girly".

And about otaku media not being mainstream: well, if it ever became mainstream it'd stop being otaku. I don't feel like writing more about this but otaku culture has never been mainstream (more like it was looked down upon by mainstream society), especially early on.
>>
>>16795317
>>16795313
>>16795304
What are you doing
>>
>>16795322
Typos.
>>
>>16793262
>Why are most otaku men rather than women
Men are more likely to be autistic than women by a 3:1 ratio
>>
>>16796788
The correct answer.

>>16793262
>Why is otaku culture more famous among males rather than females?

It's a tautology: otaku stuff is mostly male because otaku is a negative stereotype targeted at males, even where women do the same things.

When a woman likes some stupid boys band like smap or arashi she's a groupie. When a man likes some dumb idol group like akb48, he's an idol otaku.

Their behavior is essentially the same with the obsessive following and compulsive buying, but only one is an otaku, though this perception is (very) slowly changing.
>>
>>16796900
>When a woman likes some stupid boys band like smap or arashi she's a groupie
I'm surprised that no one has brought up Takarazuka Revue at this point.
>>
>>16793262
Men have always like cute little girls. Not sexually like the degenerates here of course but the feeling is the same.
Watching them acting cute and silly makes my heart ascend to heaven.
>>
how is she drawing on paper that's on carpet...
>>
>>16793300
>In most fashion circles, liking anything weird or too far from the norm is a social death sentence.
Don't post about things you don't understand.
>>
>>16797595
it makes you want to fuck them good, too bad its fiction
>>
>>16794960
>>Coding was invented by women
I really want to know who are you quoting.
>>
Why are male otaku so fucking disgusting? They spend all their time obsessing over pristine 2D aesthetics and complain about 3D women while being nowhere near that ideal themselves. At least female otaku will pay attention to hair removal and makeup and try to be cute.
>>
File: waifus.png (1MB, 1195x838px) Image search: [Google]
waifus.png
1MB, 1195x838px
>>16799933
Otaku don't complain about 3D women. /r9k/ types and niwaka do. As for the other part of your post, well not every otaku has that stereotypical image in the real world.

Also, the undesirable men obsess over 2D as a means of escapism. I don't know if you've ever been in a tough situation yourself but it's not easy to just help yourself.
>>
>>16799995
This whole culture of men feeling entitled to girls who put more effort into their looks than themselves just bugs me

Try living in Asia it's even worse
>>
>>16799933
I don't complaint about 3D women, I don't care about them. It's different.
>>
>>16793262
It's hard to say, but if I had to guess, I'd assume there are more female than male otaku.

They just follow different patterns. On the creative side, there are more female artists, writers and cosplayers, while males are more likely to do technical stuff, programming, music, etc. On the consumer side, males spend more on average, so they have more merchandise targeted at them. But females tend to herd towards popular series more than males, so there's more female-targeted (note that this includes shonen manga targeted at secondary female audience) franchises at the very top of popularity rankings; they're impossible to miss unless you're intentionally looking away.

The western fandom is, in all aspects, warped by broken western social norms and values. But discussing them necessarily involves cultural wars and identity politics, so let's not.
>>
>>16800070
In my opinion it shouldn't matter that much how a guy looks like. As long as you can make good livelihood to support your wife and kids you should be good to go.

Think of it in terms of gender roles. Men should focus on preparing to be a provider while women focus on looks to attract their potential mate.
>>
>>16800118
in nature most animals have it that the female chooses their mate and the male is usually seen as very beautiful to attract and be chosen. Because of christianity and other religions we have this fucked up idea that goes against nature in that men choose their wives lol
>>
>>16800238
Religion worked really well to keep society functioning and maintain a good family system. Only in modern excess prosperity can women spend as much time on their looks and choosing a husband while supporting themselves as they do now.

Pointing to animals and saying humans are like that is ACTUAL degeneration.
>>
>>16800238
That is because if you had women choosing their mate what would end up happening is this: 80% of women mate with the top 20% of men. What this means is that we would have a polygamous society and that is primitive. Monogamy, marriage, Christianity whatever you wanna call it, they are the building blocks of our civilization.

Anyway the point is humans should evolve from their primitive ways and Christianity was a means of helping achieve that.

I also want to point out that western and eastern societies are actually reverting back to these primitive ways and it's having a pretty serious effect on our civilization. Casual relationships, abortion, contraception etc. The dating world is essentially 80/20 while birthrates are plummeting because nobody is actually having children. There are almost no new families being made.

Just want to apologize in advance to anyone because this discussion has already delved quite deep into the /r9kpol/ territory.
>>
>>16800238
Using nature as an argument is a fallancy do you know everything about animals and what they think? In what way we evolved from them? Of course you don't, know one does. Just because there are examples of action that happens in nature makes it normal or "natural" for us to do them.
>>16800303
Threads like these are bound to cause /r9k/ /pol/ air.
>>
>>16793262
>Why is otaku media not mainstream
Wanting otaku media to be mainstream are you saying?
If you are saying that. you better leave.
>>
>>16800238
>in nature most animals
Only non-mammals, which makes your "argument" completely moot.
>>
>>16793262
There is actually quite a lot of females that i know personally that are into Anime and Weeb things.
>>
>>16794599
You are wrong
>>16794960
You are wrong too

Women can be logical. It's more to do with how 80% of them are in demand economically for sex whereas 80% of men aren't. So there are more chances for then to choose to be social. And if you see the same ads every day you will buy into the product or belief eventually. Look how crazy the white knights go as soon as someone mentions they're female on here.
So it's not they're less logical. It's more that they have no time for logic. This is just how it is in this time we live in.

But though the first program was written by a woman, eva or wtv .. she was someones wife and was not involved in any of the hardcore things with computing at the time and women didn't feature heavily in science until post war bar a few who worked as computers etc. They were into science since awhile before that though.
>>
> didn't feature heavily in science until
Computer science
>>
Many females don't care about girly stuff, it's just another of several tools they use to manipulate males.
For males it's forbidden and thus takes on an enchanting sacred or mystical sort of status.
Hence why anime and related media is filled with determined, assertive, skilled, powerful female lead characters who are essentially male in personality yet hyper-girly in appearance and presentation, who are then deified by male otaku.
>>
>>16794587
>Online gamers are like half women too.
That counts facebook and mobile games.
>>
>>16801379
mobile games? like kancolle, lovelive, and derestage?

>>16801179
you have an odd definition of how many women are desirable, probably based on being 20th percentile yourself and seeking anyone who's an upgrade.

in general it's not that otaku media isn't qualified to be mainstream, it's that otaku gravitate toward media which aren't as a side effect of their autism-spectrum-driven attempts to establish self-value by having a more detailed mental database or collection than anyone else. read some azuma.
and once you have that impetus, that sort of reverse-hipster drive to self-marginalize, you'll never realize that the girl next to you in class or on the train just doesn't talk to you because you can't tell her anything new about her favorite STRISH and she can't tell you anything new about your favorite iM@S, even though you're both equally obsessed and equally rejected by your peer normies.
>>
>>16801437
Like candy crush and angry birds.
>>
>>16795317
>And about otaku media not being mainstream: well, if it ever became mainstream it'd stop being otaku. I don't feel like writing more about this but otaku culture has never been mainstream (more like it was looked down upon by mainstream society), especially early on.
Rather than that, anything that did go mainstream is no longer considered 'otaku'. Video games, for example, are no longer necessarily an otaku activity.

>>16799446
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace
>>
>>16801447
same shit, different skin. you're valuing one because it's the cultural shibboleth with window-dressing that makes your dick hard and that you can tell yourself you're good at.

somewhere out there on a tumblr or twitter there's a girl just like you, right now, typing about fake gamer boys who just tap music notes and aren't even smart enough to chain tsumtsum combos.
>>
>>16801584
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace
Not him, but saying she invented coding is a huge, huge stretch. If you want to say she was involved in it's founding, sure, but invented?
>>
when you're born a woman, everything in life is stacked in your favour. the social safety net is so strong that you can never truly fail at anything or end up beyond hope. thus there are no women who end up ostracized and socially isolated and find themselves in degenerate obsessions like otaku culture.
>>
>>16801584
>anything that did go mainstream is no longer considered 'otaku'
You seem to be mistaking otaku with hipsters.
>>
>>16801709
You are misunderstanding him. He's saying that the average joe doesn't look at a gamer and automatically think he's a nerd anymore.
>>
>>16801626
This. Think about all the posts like
>There's this cute tomoko type girl by which I mean she's 300 pounds and autistic but she has a vagina and I'm thirsty, how do I harpoon lanwhales?
There's always a guy willing to fuck down.
>>
>>16801877
>implying that those posters aren't also 300-pound autists
>>
What's with this shitty /r9k/ tier women whining thread still being here? I hope a bunch of Mizuryuu Kei women burst into reality in your rooms and have their way with you.
>>
>>16793262
Because women care more about doing things that interest other people while men do things that interest them. Take a look at what kind of ads are targeted at women, it's all about things that will make you look/have X, so people will think Y about you. While it's men thing to do hobbies, things that won't change your social status but will let you have fun on your own. Also when woman look for hobby, they never go deep about it. They want to have something to talk about, to attract someone interest, not something to actually occupy time. And anime isn't very good medium to quickly get into.

>>16799933
You don't have to be perfect cook, to say that the food you ordered at restaurant was shit.

>>16801179
Being manipulated doesn't make you more logical.
>>
>>16800118
Great, you've decided on a world where half the population is ugly and half are lazy pieces of shits.

Thankfully outside of Asia it's not this bad.
>>
>>16801709
>>16801584
>>16799446
>>16794960

Ada Lovelace wasn't the first 'coder', that was certainly Babbage... You really think a guy would spend all that time inventing a computer and then not bother to program it???? Obviously you would have to program it to make sure the damn thing worked.

The truth is more interesting and actually better reflects Lovelace's intellect. She was the first to discern the potential of the analytic engine as something more than a calculator, foreseeing the computer as a tool that could carry out arbitrary computations, symbolic and numerical.
>>
the other day in the break room at work this girl was watching anime on her phone and it wasn't even dubbed anime the voices were Japanese and then her friend came down to sit next to her and they watched anime together
>>
>>16800118
Also don't complain about golddiggers when you've reduced your worth in the dating market to nothing but your economic contribution.
>>
File: youmu.jpg (258KB, 1371x2048px) Image search: [Google]
youmu.jpg
258KB, 1371x2048px
i wonder if girls ever make any of those perverted posts you see in /e/-grade threads about wanting to lick touhous feet or have x touhou sit on their face
>>
>>16802512
>>16802586
Why are you so hostile?
>>
File: mystery.gif (5KB, 500x169px) Image search: [Google]
mystery.gif
5KB, 500x169px
>>16793262
>Why is otaku culture more famous among males rather than females?
>I just asked myself this because, when you think of it, otaku culture is pretty girly. Idolmaster is girly. Vocaloids are girly. Anime and manga are girly (specially SoL and moe). Most otaku merch is girly (figures are like dolls, and then there are those fluffy body pillows we call dakimakura). Kizuna AI is girly. I could go on and on. Almost all aspects of otaku culture are very girly, except a few like, say, H-games.

So in short:
>Why are males drawn to females?
>>
/pol9k/ thread of the year
>>
>>16793262
>Why are most otaku men rather than women
Maybe in much of the world, but I realized there are almost as many women in the Touhou fanbase in Japan as there are men.

I'm guessing their society is collectively introverted enough to make it possible.
>>
>>16802813
>Russian Tsars
What is Youmu doing in Russia?
>>
>>16802306
What's with this shitty /cgl/ tier men whining post still being here?
>>
>>16793262
>Why are most otaku men rather than women and why is otaku media not mainstream?
Because it is socially acceptable for women to like sweet things.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.