[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do most Japanese people sleep on the floor like I see in anime

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

File: 800px-Futon[1].jpg (80KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Futon[1].jpg
80KB, 800x533px
Do most Japanese people sleep on the floor like I see in anime or has this changed and the majority sleep in beds now?
>>
50/50
>>
"Floor"
"Beds"
>>
50/50
>>
>>16220565
五分五分
>>
Japanese don't sleep.
>>
>>16221650
The wives get to sleep and do what they want while the husbands work 18 hours a day. As for OP, some use futons, some use beds, everyone else uses capsules.
>>
>>16221680
There are also those who sleep in cardboard boxes.
>>
>>16221650
You are right. They take one hour naps in a nap room in the office.
>>
>>16220565
Those look so comfy though...
>>
File: dollhouse-owner.jpg (88KB, 614x453px) Image search: [Google]
dollhouse-owner.jpg
88KB, 614x453px
>>16221794
>>
>>16239363
They are comfy, and it's nice to be able to stow away your bed for space when you're not needing it.

>never having to move your mattress again
>>
>>16220565
the smaller the appartment, the more likely you sleep in a futon to save space by storing it
>>
so basically, if you're rich you don't sleep on the floor
>>
Sleeping on the floor is pretty great desu
>>
I'm moving into a small room soon and considering picking up a futon.
Are they really as comfortable as the Japanese say?
>>
>>16252653
It is the most comfortable experience you will ever have sleeping on the floor.
But, well, it's not as good. Especially for side sleepers.
But I mean us side sleepers are probably genetically unfit.
>>
>>16220565
All Japanese sleep on the floor, by definition. If they sleep in a western bed they cease to be true Nihonjin.
>>
Nippon spirit is given off by Nippon soil, but quickly loses effectiveness as it drifts into the air.
To sever the connection with the floor is to sever the Japanese spirit itself.
>>
>>16249025
I agree, something about being low to the ground is comfy. I got rid of my bed frame years ago and just have a mattress on the floor.
>>
File: DSCI0003.jpg (2MB, 2864x2144px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0003.jpg
2MB, 2864x2144px
>>16220565
I have been hitchhiking through Japan several times. And it often happened that I wsa allowed to sleep at their houses. As a guest I always got a futon.

I think Japanese are okay with bed and futon. But the younger the more common beds are.

To be honest I don't like futons very much. But it is simply a question of getting used to them.

One exception were the futons in Onsens. They were comfy as fuck. Best sleep I got for ages.

>pic related
>>
>>16257419
>>
>>16263731
>I have been hitchhiking through Japan several times.
I'm about to fall asleep but how do you do this, particularly if you're younger, unwise and not confident?
>>
>>16263764
The first time I was young, unwise but confident.

I was fresh out of the military (conscription) and I have to say this experience gave me the confidence (and the partial fitness) I needed to tackle traveling by hitchhiking.
That time I didn't even spoke Japanese outside some anime catchphrases.

But at the end it isn't that difficult:
-wear bright cloths
-be prepared for every possibility (equipment! if you want I can post a quick rundown about the most important things)
-have a smile
-go to the next road and put out your thumb
-it is always easier to go into big cities than out of it

those are the most important rules.
>>
If I were in foreign countries I won't use a futon on the floor.
Because they always wear shoes in the room.
I do not even want to sit on the floor.
>>
>>16263911

Broad generalization. I live in Italy and me, my family and most people I know never use the same shoes outdoors and indoors, we either have slippers or a pair of indoor shoes. I spent time in the US and my host family did the same. The no shoes in the house habit is far more widespread than you would think.
>>
>>16263959
>my family and most people I know never use the same shoes outdoors and indoors, we either have slippers or a pair of indoor shoes
This is the weirdest shit as someone who was brought up sanely in a house that wasn't built 500 years ago out of solid stone. Just walk around barefoot, nigga, or wear socks.

I really don't understand why japs take off their shoes for school. In a building with hundreds of people walking around, it's going to get dirty either way, which is why you don't take off your fucking shoes when you go into a store, they just clean the floors. I can understand using slippers during winter, maybe, to save on heating, but the only public place you should change your shoes for is a bowling alley.
>>
>>16220565
Currently living in Japan:
Depends, more country side people will have futon, and even hole in the ground toilets; specially older people.
Once you get into a town, or dealing with someone 40 and below, beds are the way to go.
If you are crashing a house, you'll get a futon because, well, no extra beds.

I have seen a lot of people buy a short bed frame and just put a futon on top of it, since sleeping on the ground is just colder.

A friend of mine has a futon because she moved out of home for school for only 2 years, and she is living in a small apartment, and thought it'd be easier to just get one, instead of dealing with a bed, since price and set up.

Actually, most students who live off campus will get one.
>>
>>16264300
>Just walk around barefoot, nigga, or wear socks
That only works if you have parquet or carpeting in every room. Here, most houses have their floor built of ceramic or stone, so walking barefoot when it's not summer is not really an option if you don't want to get a cold
>>
>>16263782
I'm not so sure if I could do that sort of thing, but I'm interested to hear the equipment anyway. I heard from someone else that hostels there are pretty cheap too.
>>
>>16266167
Yeah you can have a nice stay in Tokyo for like 2500Yen and in other bigger cities for 1800Yen.

Have to wageslave now will write the list tomorrow
>>
>>16263731
I figured futons were kinda like sleeping bags.
>>
>>16267118
No rush, thanks for your time.
>>
>>16263959
The wrong knowledge is well known among Japanese.
So we may dirty your beds with mud.
However, I and you don't worry about it, because you always sleep on dirty bed:)

It's a joke, but wrong knowledge is well known really.
>>
Fucking normies ruin another shit thread
>>
>>16267359
Probably you will be more comfy in >>/reddit/
>>
>>16267359
>>16267573
Neither of you are welcome here. Take your "normies" and your reddit obsession back to /a/.
>>
>>16267118
Where are you from? I would love to go on an adventure with someone who has previous experience.
>>
>>16267846
I am from Germany. And going hitchhiking as two men is problematic, because people don't like to take. It is more or less the thought: "I can take maybe on one guy if he is dangerous but two?"

Here are is a list with unitcomposition best to worse
1) 1 woman 1 man (very trustworthy and is by far the savest way to travel for women)
2) 1 man
3) 2 women (I wouldn't recommand it since it is still dangerous)
4) 2 man (it get really difficult to get someone to taake you but not impossible)
5) more than 2 people (most drivers don't even have that much space and yeah it is always a risk for the drivers too. I mean you know you are pure hearted boys but how can he?)

The other thing is. I am "retired". I am probably older than you and being out in the open for the whole day carrying 30kg of baggage on your back is rather tiring.

>>16267178
Nah they are really more like thin matresses on the ground. Of course there are differences but it isn't that different from a normal bed.

>>16266167
>>16267189
So yeah equipment:
-Huge ass comfy backback
-toilettpaper
-water (very important even when you are in a civilized part of a country always carry a reserve of water with you)
-some local food
-tent in camo colours(that way you can sleep in the wild or on cheap campinggrounds)
-sleeping pad
-sleeping bag
-knife
-map(s)+compass (GPS is great but can run out of energy)
-washingkit so stuff like soap toothbrush
-heavy good boots to wander aroud and travel
-light comfy boots in your backpack when you are in a city and want to do some sightseeing.
-Travelcloths (more or less every colous is okay but black. The brighter your cloths are the better so khaki is for example very good)
-Some additional cloths that are a little bit more elegant if you want to go partying (a shirt not shity trousers will do).
-additional underware and socks (duh)
-Japan is very very safe but other countries are not. So a false purse is the way to go. If you are robbed you give them your purse with a little local money some dollars and old out of use creditcards.
-Generally I tend to hide small packaged all on my cloths with some money and the numbers and adresses of the ambassy and stuff like that.
-depending on your language skills: a pocket dictionary
-if in Japan (and everywhere else in the world it is also okay): small gifts from your homecountry, like keyholders, magnets, stuff like that. In Japan it is expected that you give those away when somebody is very nice to you and takes you in your car for a longer trip or lets you sleep in their hosue. Or expected is maybe a too strong of a word, they won't be angry if you don't, but it simply the way to go.

And that is more or less it.
Usually I ended with ca. 25 to 30 kg. Most of the time you don't carry it. You just stand there your bag on the ground and wait till somebody picks you up.

(cont.)
>>
>>16268588
general hitchhiking guidline part 2

You should always stand in such places that are visible for the drivers for a long time. They need time to process: oh a hitchhiker-->should I take him-->can I take him-->where can I park the car?
If he just has a few seconds it won't be enough.

And you should stand so that after like 10 to 20 meters there is a place where he ha park his car. This place has also to be visible. But if you do this you can get very quickly picked up.
All in all with the waiting, finding good standing places, driving, etc. you have a average speed of 50km per hour.

Plan the general direction/place you wanna go, not the route. So for example the last time in Japan I wanted to go to Sapporo (amazing city, totally worth it). I landed in Tokyo Narita so it was like 1100 km on the shortest route. Because of the nature of hitchhiking I didn't take the shortest route but netherless is was a great trip (for example I was in the biggest military museum of Japan that is in the middle of nowhere) that took me 3 days to get to Sapporo.

Highways are great. Basically you do resting place area hopping. Once you are on the highway you ask your hosts to let you out one resting area before they leave the highway. You hop from one resting area to the next (of course those with gas stations and dinners are the best).

>>16268588
Additional equipment:
-book
-energyplug converter
-rain stuff

Blogpost end
>>
>>16257967
I did that for a while and eventually started sleeping on the floor properly after a bedbug infestation.

It's a pain to get used to at first but after a while you get used to it. Just make sure you put a blanket under you. Sleeping on carpet isn't comfy at all and a thick blanket helps a lot if you're sleeping on hardwood/laminate.

I don't intend to go back either. I sleep better and the extra space is nice.
>>
>>16252653
It works out there because of the flooring. Bamboo is squishier than carpet, right? You'll need a foam cover or else it'll be too uncomfortable.
>>
>>16268588
>>16268631
Thank you for taking the time to write all this up. Never really put much thought into it, but hitchhiking sounds like it could be fun.
>>
I hope your normie hitchhiking ass gets buttraped :^)
>>
>>16272357
Why the salt?
>>
File: DSC_0731.jpg (1MB, 4935x2489px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0731.jpg
1MB, 4935x2489px
>>16220565
I'm not even japanese but I enjoyed sleeping and sitting on the floor, can confirmed it is million times comfier than a chair and a bed. Not because I'm trying to be japanese or anything tho.
>>
>>16272357
Same to you, /reddit9k/ fucktard.
>>
>>16272944
Don't you get tired?
>>
>>16273354
How can you get tired when you sit? Unless you're a fatass and so on.
>>
>>16268588
>Japan is very very safe

Mayu Tomita disagrees with you
>>
>>16272944
Any closeups of those dolls?
>>
File: IMG_245.jpg (481KB, 800x1146px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_245.jpg
481KB, 800x1146px
>>16274502
>>
>>16276318
Ah, I thought it was the lighting. Why are they ayylmaos?

What kind of dolls are they anyway?
>>
>>16276343
Little apple dolls
>>
>>16257419
But anon, buildings raise you above the ground level. By that logic, they should all be sleeping outside on the hard ground.
>>
>>16253377
I think the best option for us side sleepers is to have a mattress on the floor. Almost just as easy to move, much more comfortable.
>>
>>16263911
>>16267288
I'm an american and I hate wearing shoes at all, especially inside. I never wear my shoes inside and often take walks barefoot. Shoes just feel uncomfortable and trap sweat, making your feet smell bad and can even cause problems for some people. Shoes are just unpalatable, I prefer sandals of some sort.

Who even invented shoes anyway.
>>
>>16273539
What about your back? Isn't it uncomfortable or do you have one of those ground chairs?
>>
>>16220565
They sleep in beds
>>
>>16272944
Hey, I remember you from /g/!
>>
>>16268631
I'm honestly surprised the Japanese would even entertain the idea of picking up a hitchhiker, let alone a foreigner. Japanese are so typically isolated from people they don't know and there would be a stigma on being the kind of person who needs a ride and place to sleep that I just figure only the weirdos would pick you up.

The again the types of Japs who bothered to get a drivers licences and vehicle of their own are already different than city types so who knows. Maybe they see it as a way to get the most out of being a driver.
>>
>>16297135

in the countryside things are different; some actually search for gaijin to stay there a few weeks:

https://www.wwoofjapan.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=948&lang=en

https://www.workaway.info/hostlist-JP.html

http://www.helpx.net/hostlist.asp?host_ccode=JPN&network=15
>>
>>16278944
You've got a lot of nerve, making me look bad in front of /jp/.
>>
>>16297187
But why? Do they make money out of doing this? It might be fun the first few times but to go out of your way to look for gaijin is a bit weird
>>
>>16298682

if you read the hosts profiles they usually specify the type of help needed

if it's a guesthouse in a popular place you'll end up cleaning the toilets used by paying guests (which means Chinese tourists too...); but don't be scared, it could be just gardening in the middle of nowhere
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.