[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished watching "New Game" and saw a few things

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Dat work ethic.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dat work ethic.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
I just finished watching "New Game" and saw a few things about Japanese corporate life that surprised me. For starters, in the very first episode the crew works until 11pm, while they presumably started somewhere in the morning (9 am?). In some later episodes in the series, the crew actually spends some time sleeping inside of the office. Is this just dramatization for the sake of the show, or is this actually how it works in Japan? Are 'regular' office hours really extended up until close to midnight? Are Japanese office workers really expected to sleep in the office so they can work overtime even past midnight? Wouldn't this violate multiple labor laws, or are labor laws incredibly lax in Japan?

I can't really post this on /a/ and this board is dedicated to "niche Japanese interests" according to the rules so I presume this is the right board to post this. If I'm mistaken, I ask the mods to be so kind as to move my thread to the appropriate board and not ban me for this honest mistake.
>>
>>15863077
>For starters, in the very first episode the crew works until 11pm
*9 pm herp derp I'm blind
>>
>>15863077
>Are 'regular' office hours really extended up until close to midnight?
It's essentially mandatory overtime.
>Are Japanese office workers really expected to sleep in the office so they can work overtime even past midnight?
Not necessarily expected, but it happens fairly often.
>Wouldn't this violate multiple labor laws
Technically, yes, but that's just "how things are" so no one complains.
>>
>>15863077
When the language has a specific term for "death from overworking", you know it's pretty serious.
>>
Isn't that show about game devs? I've heard stories about Masahiro Sakurai practically living on the office for example
>>
>>15863077
>For starters, in the very first episode the crew works until 11pm, while they presumably started somewhere in the morning (9 am?).

Working until 9-10pm is quite common. They're get in the office at 9am too but they're just sleeping at their desk at that time.

>Are Japanese office workers really expected to sleep in the office so they can work overtime even past midnight?
It happens, but that's especially true of video game companies.
>>
>>15863141
Back before Tim Rogers (games writer type guy) became an idiotic faggot, he visited a ton of game companies during his stint in Japan (talking around the end of the ps2 era here).

I remember him saying that in one of them, the boss would move his bed across the door during the night to make sure employees weren't leaving.
>>
You'd think that with the hikki epidemic and whatnot, they'd figure out a way to share the work load around.
Instead of one guy overworking himself to death and another guy being a quasi-NEET due to making some mistakes in college, why not have two guys who both work 6 hours?
>>
>>15863171
>why not have two guys who both work 6 hours?
In the long run that also means more work is done. France, infamous for its 35 hour work days and supposedly "lazy" approach to life, is the 6th most productive country in the world. Japan on the other hand doesn't even make the top 20.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_hour_worked

And you're right too, loosening Japanese corporate culture would give NEETs a reason to want to work. After all, all those anime figurines don't pay for themselves.
>>
>>15863182
*work week
>>
Things can get bad depending on your company, but western media/people tend to over exaggerate the extent of it. I'm on a train right now (7pm) in Tokyo and am standing because it's full of salarymen and OLs also on their way home.

In my own company, tight deadlines and problems on projects have led to me doing all-nighters on rare occasions, most people are out of ny office by 8pm and very few people ever start before 9am/9:30am.
>>
>>15863171
Because that would cost twice as much.
>>
All of that is quite common for western software companies as well.
>>
>>15863123
>When the language has a specific term for "death from overworking"
No, they have a phrase for death from overworking that is made up of the words "overworking" and "death", much like English has a specific phrase for it: "death from overworking"
>>
>>15863376
I'd say only startups and video game companies in the west. For startups it's because employees usually have a significant stake in the company as part of their contracts. For video game companies it's because the people working for them are goddamn idiots.
>>
>>15863077
Japanese are retarded. They will stay that long, they will work unproductively, and then with no energy or free time they dont have kids/sex and the government seems oblivious as to why Japs arent reproducing or why hikikomori give up on life.

How is New Game?
>>
>>15863421
What's the phrase?
Isn't that just a contraction and not a phrase? like "over" and "working"
>>
>>15863532
過労死
>>
>>15863535
I need to study more runes. I only recognize shi.
>>
>>15863535
Looked it up in a dictionary.
Says it's a noun.
>>
>>15863297
Depending on the salary/overtime, not necessarily.
>>
>NEETs don't work
>I know i'll ask /jp/ - Otaku Culture
>>
File: 1471145079142.png (1019KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1471145079142.png
1019KB, 1400x1000px
>>15863521
>How is New Game?
It's just a cute girls doing cute things anime. It's not brilliant, but I really enjoyed it for what it is.

>>15863772
Have you ever considered that different countries have different work ethics, and that a lot of what happens in New Game would be a severe violation of many European labor laws? I only wanted to know if it reflected Japanese corporate life, so I asked it to the board that's all about Japan.
>>
>>15863785
Otaku culture =/= Japanese culture.
>>
>>15863785
>It's just a cute girls doing cute things anime.
God damnit.
Anime equivalent of Death of a Salesman when?
>>
>>15863077
where do i get a clock like this irl
>>
How many times are you going to post that thread? You already had your answers.
>>
File: 1353000779982.png (5KB, 512x78px)
1353000779982.png
5KB, 512x78px
>>15863785
>>
>>15863983
Guess it must be bullshit since moot said so.
>>
>>15863983
who the heck is this moot guy
>>
>>15863077
Talked with one of my jap roommates when I visited Tokyo two years ago. He said 70 hours work weeks are pretty common there.
>>
>>15863539
過 カ す・ぎる、す・ごす over-, extreme; pass, spend (as in time)
労 ロウ work, labor
>>
>>15863792
A great mistake.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.