[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Japan love referencing Don Quixote in their games, anime,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: donquixote.jpg (19KB, 260x254px) Image search: [Google]
donquixote.jpg
19KB, 260x254px
Why does Japan love referencing Don Quixote in their games, anime, shows and culture? Is there a reason?
>>
Because they've only read Alice In Wonderland, Don Quixote, and a beginner's guide to Nordic mythology.
>>
I don't think I've ever seen a Don Quixote reference in anything Japanese
>>
>>15501964
Because Japan is very entry level about western literature. Also escapism I guess.
>>
>best book ever
>suddenly a reference

gee, I wonder why
>>
Examples?
You can't just say something like this without evidence.
>>
>>15502004
Demonbane and Heavy Object and many other's do.
>>
>>15502004
Most recently Zero Time Dilemma
>>
Gundam Build Fighters has a really good one
>>
>>15502409
What was the demonbane reference? I don't remember anything like that
>>
Well, it happens to be a good story
>>
>>15501964
The same reason they reference King Arthur, Ley lines, Oda Nobunaga, Leonardo da Vinci. They happened to read it on wikipedia and decided to make a show about it
>>
File: yakuza4.jpg (84KB, 550x309px) Image search: [Google]
yakuza4.jpg
84KB, 550x309px
>>15501964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJyYrrDKYZE
>>
>>15503331
https://youtu.be/s1_lArsRY-g?t=1m5s
>>
>>15502004
pretty amazed if you've never seen/heard of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quijote_(store)
>>
>>15501964
Where's my Don Quixote Persona?
>>
Pretty much everything references Don Quixote at one time or another. That might sound like a cop out, but literally, it's probably the most influence piece of literature, other than The Bible.
>>
File: 1393611816825.jpg (17KB, 158x207px) Image search: [Google]
1393611816825.jpg
17KB, 158x207px
>>15505278
Whatever you say, Manuel.
>>
>>15505278
Quixote is a good book but that's a stretch
>>
>>15501981
Why so they love calling everything Alice so much is beyond me. Even stuff that barely has anything to do with Alice in Wonderland. Snow White, Cinderella, Goldilocks, Dorothy... you rarely ever see that but they do use Little Red Hood a lot. Not as much as Alice though.
>>
>>15503277
In kishin hishou.
>>
>>15506549
You see Snow White a bit, but mostly as a cosmetics mascot because of the "pale white skin + black hair" beauty ideal.
>>
>>15501964
He is one of the first fictional chunnis
>>
File: image.jpg (215KB, 816x1356px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
215KB, 816x1356px
>"Man when is Japan gonna shut the fuck up about Don Quixote!
>>
>>15503329
This. It's the intellectual equivalent of inbreeding. Gosh hire some Korean director upstarts for your annie-mays and vidya already.
>>
>>15505311
It's not, the story is basically the story of every man's life, from birth until death, even with the made up reality to make the trip bearable from the beginning up until the end

It is the most influential modern piece of literature the world has created
>>
>>15505278
>>15518164
How does 2hu print media compare? Although i don't consider them the same medium.
>>
I visited a Don Quixote museum in La Mancha and it was full of Japanese people and all the exihibits had Japanese subtitles.
>>
You haven't read Don Quijote? If you did you would understand.

If that sounds too difficult for you, try reading the Exemplary Novels first. Much easier and really fun.
>>
Because they're quixotic.
>>
ドンキホーテ is a very nice store with lots of inexpensive items! I bought my backpack and wallet there (´・ω・`)
>>
From what I know, Yukio Mishima, their greatest writer, was very interested in Hispanic culture and literature, as he found some traits (mostly when talking about "the warrior") in common between it and Japanese culture. It would not surprise me that got anything to do with that.
>>
>>15529583
>Mishima
>Greatest writer

Kakinomoto no Hitomaro
Murasaki Shikibu
Sei Shonagon
Matsuo Basho
Natsume Soseki
Junichiro Tanizaki
Yasunari Kawabata
Kobo Abe

???
>>
>>15529865
>no Akutagawa
>no Sca-ji
>>
>>15518164
I read it and it's garbage like most hispanic literature
if it wasn't for all the millions of hispanics who are forced to buy it and read it in schools it wouldn't even get published. the older generations feel bitterness and jealously towards northern and eastern Europe's undeniably superior literature so they try to force feed their own shitty novels to their children

never seen any references to it in in japanese media, either
>>
File: Don_Joaquin_d1p.jpg (43KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Don_Joaquin_d1p.jpg
43KB, 320x320px
>>15502004
>>
>>15529583
source
>>
>>15501964
Has anyone in this thread even read Don Quixote?

Look OP. If you think about it Alonso is pretty much a fucking textbook example of an otaku who gets their shitty life wrecked by some casual observation of someone who leads a normal, productive life
>>
>>15530153
The guy reads some books about chivalry, becomes a straight up knight-a-boo and does some cringey ass shit, something all otaku can relate to
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.