[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw reading shakespeare in english >tfw being able to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

>tfw reading shakespeare in english
>tfw being able to read it
am I /fluent/ now?
>>
Shakespeare is somewhat hard for a native speaker.

Why the fuck can a foreigner easily read Shakespeare? Something written centuries ago.
>>
reading it is easy, interpreting it is a challenge, even for academics, you are as fluent as elizabethan peasants
>>
>shakespearean sentence structure is actually somewhat closer to (modern) German than that of contemporary English
>>
>tfw reading shakespeare in english

Reading? Maybe. Comprehending fully? Hardly. For example there are heaps of puns and allusions that are based on rhymes which you will never understand because those rhymes are based on older phonology.

So the affected words don't actually rhyme in contemporary English with the pun and meaning being lost to you.
>>
>>79562844
>>79562857
I am, unlike thou, a non mental farmer.
What a sad day, when you can't enjoy his superior language, and feel remorse, an utter remorse because you wont be able to speak, feel, taste, the taste -a taste you're not fond of- of his marvelous dick.

>tfw these plebs think a little bunch of figures of speech are hard to read
>>
>>79562994
ok fine, wiseguy tell me how desdemona is special to iago
>>
>>79562844
Non-native speakers have an easier time finding word roots and possible meanings for words that a native speaker who is used to the normal form of the language would just find undescifrable
>>
>>79563039
you mom, kek

>oh no, shakespeare used some figures of speech to change some syllable, therefore I am unable to guess the meaning
>>
>>79563126
looks like someone has to read it again
the plays are studied down the centuries versus his contemporaries for a reason and it is not because of the difficulty of the language, as it is the early form of modern english

iago delivers desdemona from the storm in the beginning, as it is him that causes her to ascend the heavens, and from the tempest...she arrives again, before her husband and so on
>>
>>79563249
is that otello?
>>
>>79563291
yes
>>
>>79563355
can't remember shit off it.
have to read it again.
>>
>>79563408
the meanings are hidden you won't be able to find it
>>
>>79563492
do you mean symbolism?
>>
>>79563291
Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of engelond to caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.
>>
>>79563547
kind of, some of his plays are very symbolic, some not
>>
>>79563560
When that april with his sores?
The drought of march has pierced to the root
And bathed every vein in swich liquor
Of which engendered is the flour
When zephirus seek with his sweeten breath
Inspired has in every holt and teeth
Tender crops and the some yonge
Has in the ram his halve cours
And small flowerless make melodies
That sleepen all the night with open eyes
(so priketh? them nature in his courages)
Than longer folk to go on pilgrimages
And palms for to seek stange sounds
To fernicous halves, known in sound londes?
And specially for every shires end
of engelond to caunterbury they sell
the hooly blisfull martir for to seek
That hem has hope when they were seeken.

Rate.
>>
File: 1505348935098.jpg (3MB, 6240x8320px) Image search: [Google]
1505348935098.jpg
3MB, 6240x8320px
>Replying to Colombian posters
Pic related, the guy you're wasting your breath in
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.