[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Greece allied with the West? I thought they were historically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

Why is Greece allied with the West?

I thought they were historically more tied to thr East (Russians and Slavic sphere)?
>>
>>79493843
No? Why would you think that? Because of the Orthodoxy?
>>
>>79493843
Greece is the cradle of Western civilization.
>>
>>79493913

But Western Europe considered the Byzantine empire as "eastern" and "foreign" for most of history.
>>
>>79493963

That was 600 years ago.
>>
>>79494026

So after the Turks came to Europe, West suddenly missed Greece lol
>>
>>79493963
they realized they are snow niggers and everything related to civilization they have is invented by greeks
so they roleplay as related to greek
which is ethnically and culturally unrelated to the western world and is middle eastern
it's sad in my opinion
wh*toids wuz kangs and shit
>>
>>79493843
It just kinda happened. From the war at 1821 which resulted in the Greek state up until now we always sided with the west (especially the British). The state itself exists kinda because the west wanted it.

And we are not really tied with the Russians and the Slavs in general. Like, yeah we have stuff in common, but we are not brothers or something.
>>
Although the Roman Empire conquered the Greeks their culture influenced the Romans. Their mythology and architecture was very much Greek. You have to remember the time before the Roman Empire when Hellenism spread eastwards for hundreds of years. When Alexander the Great conquered a huge territory. When they built the Library of Alexandria. And the higher educated Romans actually learned Greek as a second language, visited Greek schools, translated the works of Greek philosophers, and used Greek in diplomacy and trade.

Much later the Greek language transported Christianity from Asia Minor to Europe.
>>
File: images (41).jpg (17KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
images (41).jpg
17KB, 300x250px
>>79494214

I think if you could ask an Ancient Greek they would identify more with the near East not not Western Barbars
>>
>>79493963
>But Western Europe considered the Byzantine empire as "eastern" and "foreign" for most of history.

You're correct. But "Western Europe" was a clusterfuck of regions dominated by the Franks. So the Franks wanted to build the "next Roman Empire" and Byzantine claimed to be the continuation of the "Roman Empire". That was a rivalry but not a hateful one.
>>
>>79493843
If we went to war with Russia they would chose rusisa over us
>>
>>79493886
>>79493913
Retards.
>>
File: you.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
>borders depicted as they are recognised by the EU
>>
>>79494268
>they would identify with geographically and culturally distincylt sandoid people over the same religion language group.and culture huh
Zeus is Odin
>>
>>79495203
USA isnt west or anything, just corps and mercenaries.
>>
>>79495539
West = European.
>>
>>79495524

My god Americans are ignorant.

Ever hear of Persia, Babylon, Assyria?
>>
>>79495574
Greeks saw all those as unrelated Asian barbarians
>>
>>79495707
So did they saw Any non-Greek.
Europeans were considered pretty much subhumans.
>>
>>79495707

... Yet Archemedes and all those famous Greek copied ideas from them
>>
>>79495524
>Odin is a smart guy who likes magic and runes and want to save the world from the ragnarok
>Zeus on other hand, literally don't give a fuck about mankind
>>
>>79493843
France and their gay romanticism got them in.
>>
>>79493843

Money.
>>
File: Zeus.jpg (10KB, 179x281px) Image search: [Google]
Zeus.jpg
10KB, 179x281px
>>79495833
>Odin is a fucking virgin beta nerd who hang himself from a tree
>Zeus is the ultimate chad who beat the living shit out of a godzilla made out of smaller godzillas and is quite possibly fucking your wife and your mother as we speak
>>
>>79495524
>>79495833
Zeus wasn't even the original "main" God.
Apollo was.
>>
>>79494129
It's a common theme. People forget smaller differences when a truly foreign entity comes along.
>>
Why do modern day Greeks like to LARP as being similar to Ancient Greeks?
>>
>>79495988
Feeling irrelevant? People keep bullying you?
Perhaps Wewuzianism might be right for you!
Forget your nation's shortcomings, take credit for the accomplishments of people who lived in your region millennia ago!
>>
>>79494129

Turks took Greece in the 14th century and "the west" -whatever or whoever that was back then in your meme mind - didn't give a fuck.

Italians were more interested in capturing some islands here and there as spoils and the failed anti-turk crusades, basically Hungarians, were more defensive in nature once the turks were advancing north of the Balkans cucking Bulgarians and Serbs as they moved on.
>>
>>79493913
Modern Greece is really different from Ancient Greece. Modern Greeks are successors of Byzantium and Byzantium was a great Eastern empire with orthodoxy and shit.

Modern Greece is an anal slave to Germany so they have to ally with them.
>>
>>79494330
>That was a rivalry but not a hateful one.
Lol
What was 1204?
>>79495524
You're retarded, Greece was always about Middle East, they had nothing in common with Germanics and so.>>79495707
>>
File: 1401048491777.jpg (11KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1401048491777.jpg
11KB, 251x242px
>>79494214
>complains about we wuzzing while wuzzing in the same comment
>>
>>79496208
Justice for greek crimes
>>
File: Socrates.jpg (160KB, 800x1175px) Image search: [Google]
Socrates.jpg
160KB, 800x1175px
>>79496113
DAS RITE
>>
>>79496160
>Modern Greeks are successors of Byzantium
That's really true. We are essentially the same people from back then, but Greek niggers want to be Ancient and shiet because that's what the west likes. Fucking cuckolds.
>>
File: Palamas.jpg (32KB, 200x263px) Image search: [Google]
Palamas.jpg
32KB, 200x263px
>>79496428
Why can't we be both?
>>
As a people we have always existed right in the middle of the east and the west, with all the benefits (access to new ideas and products, hogging a major trading artery) and detriments (ENDLESS INVASIONS FROM EVERYWHERE, HOLY FUCKING SHIT), however the westerners pretty much adopted our culture and thus siding with the west was the better option. That doesn't mean that we do not associate ourselves with the Russians as well, infact our relations are cordial and we see them as natural allies against a certain *cough* infestation *cough* that troubles us in the east. Thus, one could say that we are actually centrists that are inclined towards the west.

That's just a pleb's opinion of course, the reasons are purely geopolitical and what i mentioned are just the appearances
>>
IM GREEK DABA DEE DABA DA DABADEEDABA
>>
>>79497131
What a coincidence! I am greek too!
We have many things in common, let's fuck.
>>
File: key-chain-cheap-keychain.jpg (53KB, 1000x668px) Image search: [Google]
key-chain-cheap-keychain.jpg
53KB, 1000x668px
>>79497051
Thank you for the opinion and here is your complimentary keychain
>>
>>79497519
Sorry, only one keychain per contestant. But we thank you again for your opinion.
>>
I'm not Orthodox, but my impression is that the rest of the Greek Rite churches see Russia as belligerent and a loose cannon. Greeks don't seem to look at themselves as a bunch of hypermasculine, hypermilitary types who would kill themselves for greatness.
>>
>>79495977
Right, Scandinavians fucked over each other for centuries and now they are the most peaceful nations.
I wonder what would we do in case of an alien attack
>>
File: Captain Sweden.png (56KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Captain Sweden.png
56KB, 800x600px
>>79498968
Exploit the chaos created by the alien invasion to kill the turks and then blame their extinction on the aliens?
>>
>>79493843
We were never friendly toward communism.
Especially after the end of the Civil War, we were faced with a hard choice.
Either fall in line with the unlikeable western powers and wait until the Soviets take another shot at us.
We chose the lesser of two evils.

It's true we look up to Russians. But Soviets were not it. Those were godless savages who sought to destroy us much like the nazis did.
We fought against the Red Army in 1918 and again in 1919 in Turkey.

Now that the Soviets gone though and the real Russians are back, we feel the urge to side with them again.
>>
>>79493843
No one refered until NATO or Cold War, Comecon versus the European Economic Community. You really could search instead of asking or maing up.
>>
>>79495833
>Zeus on other hand, literally don't give a fuck about mankind

Wtf i Love Zeus now!!

Fuck the mankind i hoph they all killed and die and gone soon by the will of mitera Gaia
>>
>>79493843
because of money reasons
>>
Because of an agreement with Churchill, the Soviets didn't help the Greek communists in their civil war, and the Hellenic Army, supported by the West, won.

That's why.
>>
File: 1504721144001.jpg (188KB, 720x762px) Image search: [Google]
1504721144001.jpg
188KB, 720x762px
>>79493843
Because
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.