[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Country What does the name of your country mean? México Mexico

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 1504386116519.jpg (236KB, 1480x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1504386116519.jpg
236KB, 1480x1080px
Country
What does the name of your country mean?

México
Mexico means 'place in the moon's navel' in Náhuatl (Aztec language).
>>
Realm of the swedes
>>
>>79170287
land of the calf (greek)
>>
France
The land of the Franks
Frank means spear so we could say the land of the spears maybe
>>
>>79170287
>Thailand
>Land of Thais
pretty simple desu.
>>
Sverige -> Svea Rige -> Svea Rike -> Kingdom of the Swedes

Swedes in this context refer to the Germanic tribe that lived in middle Sweden (pic). The modern word also include geats, gutes and scanians.
>>
File: ramen.jpg (7KB, 260x200px) Image search: [Google]
ramen.jpg
7KB, 260x200px
日本(nihon)
"Any name OK as long as it provokes China"
>>
>>79170423
You is germanics bruv
>>
Native American word for village, 'kanata', applied as a misunderstanding because the Europeans thought that the natives were referring to the land.
>>
>>79170498
We are proud romanized celto-germanic mutts
>>
>>79170502
Funny
Happened same over here with Yucatan, the conquistadores assumed that the phrase uh yu ka t'ann was the name of the place
>>
File: NC awoo.jpg (241KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
NC awoo.jpg
241KB, 900x900px
>United States of America
"United States" indicates a union of states. I suppose one could argue America roughly translate to "amerigo Vespucci's land" . He was one of the early European explorers to this place and his name sake stuck. Alexander Dugin seems to believe America is subconsciously named after Atlantis.

On a more interesting note, my state (North Carolina) is named after King Charles I. King Charles wanted to reward his attorney general Robert Heath so he gave Heath everything south of Jamestown up until Florida and everything East to the pacific. Charles named the land after himself, thus it was called "Carolana" from the Latin variant of his name "Carolus." later that name would morph into "Carolina."
>>
new york: like the other york, but newer
>>
No one knows for sure. Panamá was a word in the dead dialect of the Indios Cueva. It is though to mean abundance of either fish or butterflies. Or a type of tree.
>>
>>79170908
Wasn't it named after the Duke of York?
>>
>>79170287
The land of the rabbits.
>>
"Germany" comes from Julius Caesars "Germania Magna" (Everything east from the Rhine)

"Alemania" comes from "Alemannen" (a germaic tribe)

"Niemcy" comes from some old slawisch word for mute (because they couldn't communicate with us)

and "Deutschland" comes from "Teutsch" (language of the Teutons- a germanic tribe) and "land" simply means country
>>
New Jersey is named after Jersey, which I think is the largest of the channel islands. Before that parts were both New Sweden and New Netherlands.

We were then East and West Jersey for a few years when we had Proprietors, before forming New Jersey. East and West Jersey were much better divisions and we should return to them
>>
Englandistan - land of the muzzies.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.