[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I decided to start writing detective stories in English and try

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: confrontation.jpg (43KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
confrontation.jpg
43KB, 640x427px
I decided to start writing detective stories in English and try to publish them in the UK. Rate this idea
>>
>>79147011
What kind of stories?
>>
Getting published is phenomenally hard. Best of luck though.
>>
>>79147011
If theyre based off the Slavic atrocities you surely witness daily as a Russian, then you should skip the novels and go straight for the screenplay.
>>
>>79147011
If that Rowling bitch can do it, so can you
>>
>>79147050
Like "Girl in the train"
>>79147060
Thanks

>>79147102
I don't see any atrocities, but I can vase my stories on shitty TV shiws like "Woman strangled her baby and hid the body in a refrigerator'"
>>
>>79147011
Very good idea. I wanted to do a similar thing with comics or horror/mystery stories.
But I think you should start at writing short stories for magazines or something.
That's how I see it
>>
>>79147011
That's a pretty tapped market there lad.
>>
>>79147011
Set then in Russia, people will find that more interesting
>>
>who is sir arthur conan doyle
>>
>>79147011
How good is your English?

It's very rare for somebody to become a quality writer even in their native language
>>
>>79147011
it is possible but imo usa has a bigger book market

joseph conrad (he was a pole) did it after all and afaik he couldn't even spoke english perfectly (written and spoken language are two separate even if connected skills)

anyway it's a /lit/ topic and also generally it is not easy to publish a book anywhere before you make yourself a name
>>
File: If I fits I sits.jpg (65KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
If I fits I sits.jpg
65KB, 700x525px
>>79147011
>Rate this idea
The phrase "coals to Newcastle" comes to mind... why not do like Boris Akunin and write in Russian then publish an English translation if its successful?
>>
thinking of it, writing a modernist novel is probably easier because everybody will think that your grammar mistakes if you make one is an artistic device :^)
or poetry, but nobody prints it nowadays

seriously though there exist editors etc
>>
>>79147552
>usa has a bigger book market
true, but in the detective genre British publication carries a lot cachet in the American market
>>
>>79147594
well you probably don't realize that a book should be very successful to get a translation
>>
>>79147594
Damned fine title burger
>>
>>79147487
No worse than Ayn Rand

>>79147424
You think people want to read about Russian rednecks and their awful life?

>>79147594
The Russian book market is fucked up. Everything is corrupted, you can't become a successful wrirer here nowadays
>>
>>79147011
that's literally what I'm doing but not because of profit, but just because I like writing. If you aren't a good english speaker I'd try to write them in Russian first and then translate over.
>>
>>79147796
>The Russian book market is fucked up. Everything is corrupted, you can't become a successful wrirer here nowadays
now, it is kind of booming and if you think you can't get published in russia i bet the more so you can't get published overseas
>>
>>79147900
do you have a short one to paste here? would like to read some desu
>>
>>79148459
There isn't much mystery to "murder in the gulag", tbf lad
>>
Follow your dreams
>>
>>79148716
Be urself :))
>>
>>79147011
I have been thinking to write Fantasy stories and publish them in USA or Japan.
>>
>>79147011
you are a fucking loser and fuck your dreams
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.