[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do the British pronounce the word "no" as "nore"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: 1394677007584.jpg (40KB, 600x514px) Image search: [Google]
1394677007584.jpg
40KB, 600x514px
why do the British pronounce the word "no" as "nore"? They add random r's to pronunciations and it makes no sense.
>>
We don't
>>
>>78955761
Some do. Some don't.

In the North, 'nor' is common with the plebs and chavs. There is also 'nah', 'ney', 'nope', etc.

>>78955676
What other examples of adding 'r' do you have? As far as I can remember, we remove every single 'r' we come across.
>>
>>78955676
Abostralians are the ones that do that
>>
>>78955761
Its true though, though ive only noticed it with words that end with 'A'. so banana would be pronounced like bananurrr
>>
Why do brits and especially aussies pronounce "o" as "oy"?
>>
>>78955868
This is found in Australia, New England, parts of the UK, and the Canadian Maritimes.
Anything that ends in an A gets an R, anything that ends in an R gets an A.
So, one might get in the cah and drive to pick up some pizzer
>>
>>78956069
I live among the poortherners and they do my fucking head in with this shit
>>
>>78955868
Only in the south-east. The rest of Britain is a sharp, short 'a'.

>>78956069
Same with 'pizza'. Most Englishers just say 'peetzah'.
>>
>>78955845
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linking_and_intrusive_R#Intrusive_R
>>
I don't do it. Adding an R is only a thing in some dialects. I'd say castle and bath with a hard A, whereas southern people would say carstle and barth.

It's why I'll never be upper middle class.
>>
>>78956213
And?

The examples, say, 'tuner' and 'tuna' are pronounced differently in some parts of Britain, exactly the same in others.
>>
>>78955676
It's because they are subhumans lad
>>
>>78956412
>It's why I'll never be upper middle class.
that's not the reason sweetie x
>>
>>78956412
We northerners have the delight to pronounce as the original Anglo-Saxons did; the faggy southerners have some French in them.
>>
>>78956482
This
Whole thread is real 89 IQ
>>
>>78956412
>It's why I'll never be upper middle class.
MLE is upper middle class?

dickhead
>>
>>78956469
I'm already in the circles. I'll just never be accepted properly.
>>
it's because they remove their Rs from some places so they have to add them to others due to the criterion of preservation of linguistic enthalpy

just get your hands on "English Accents & Dialects: An Introduction to Social and Regional Varieties of English in the British Isles" if you're interested and ignore internet weirdos
>>
File: 1477401266168.png (45KB, 173x140px) Image search: [Google]
1477401266168.png
45KB, 173x140px
>saw
>"soar"
>>
>>78956424
My point is that this phenomenon of adding [r] sounds seemingly out of the blue in the English language usually happens between two words connected by two vowel sounds, the one ending the first word being [ə], [ɔː] or [ɜː].

Example: The cinema(r) is closed.
>>
>>78955676
Because people have different accents outside your basement
>>
>>78956622
>linguistic enthalpy
Explain this, please.

>>78956913
I see. This is simply to prevent a hiatus in the continuous pronunciation. This would be, in Sanskrit, called 'sandhi'.

ðəsinəmə izklōzd
is too much of a stop
ðəsinəmərizklōzd
fixes it
>>
>>78955956
in what words?
>>
>>78957050
I was obviously kidding about that but the recommendation is legit if he's interested. one of the co-authors, Trudgill, has also written on Greek dialects
>>
>>78957050
entropy is change in entalphy
figure it out from there
>>
>>78957050
>Sanskrit
pajeet pls
>>
>>78956913
PS. How does Spanish handle inter-word hiatus like this?

>>78957147
Ok. I thought it was some new linguistic term I hadn't heard about.

>>78957189
> he doesn't learn Sanskrit
The final boss of language-learning. Only for level 100 wizards. Plebs need not apply.
>>
>>78957231
>The final boss of language-learning. Only for level 100 wizards. Plebs need not apply.
r u a buddha? lmao
>>
>>78956622
What did you make of that book? I've been thinking of getting it for a while now.
>>
how the fuck do australians manage to say every single vowel when saying "no"

it sounds like they're saying naeiou
>>
>>78956069
this happens in new england really? which parts specifically? way up north?
>>
>>78960896
It's most famous as part of the Boston accent but is also found in Downeasters
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.