[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has finally settled. Is university a scam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 10

File: 1503746607859.jpg (14KB, 247x231px) Image search: [Google]
1503746607859.jpg
14KB, 247x231px
Now that the dust has finally settled.

Is university a scam like /pol/ always says? I like spending time on /pol/ to discuss current events but I'm starting to question whether they really know what they're talking about when it comes to life advice.
>>
>>78759521

no

If you're somehow self-disciplined enough to obtain the skillset you can from learning a discipline in university then good for you, Uni is a '''scam''' for you.

If you're a normal human being the framework provided for learning in university is almost unrivaled in terms of the self-improvement you can gain from it.

I am a completely different person than I was 2 years ago thanks to Uni, I am capable of understanding things that I never really believed I ever could (studying electrical engineering).

In the US it is definitely a scam but not because of the nature of academia, but the sick vile corruption of it that the Americans have turned it into because they are fat disgusting pigs who need to be culled.
>>
In 95% of cases, University is a scam.
The only 5% of cases University is NOT a scam are when at least two of the three following criteria are met:
-the university has a worldwide reputation, making it to the world's top 50 best universities every year
-the degree is Robotics, Computer Science or Engineering
-the degree is of a field you have a strong passion for (not just a casual hobby or interest).
These are facts, not opinions.

In my personal opinion, university is for poor and dumb people. Poor because they need to work hard and need a good job to make money, and dumb because they need teachers to learn, they can't just go to the library and read a book by themselves, it's too much of a challenge.
>>
>>78759521
yeah getting yourself educated is so overrated, arguing with edgy teenagers online about jews and feminism on a lithuanian chopstick forum is much more productive
>>
Well, for people such as yourself who lies on and steals resumes, everything would be a scam
>>
File: prof.gif (60KB, 600x397px) Image search: [Google]
prof.gif
60KB, 600x397px
canada has it a bit different because of lower tuition costs

but you shouldn't go into debt for a degree that wont pay it back
>>
File: 1503699147689s.jpg (6KB, 250x231px) Image search: [Google]
1503699147689s.jpg
6KB, 250x231px
>>78759737
>university is for poor and dumb people
>>
>>78759737
>These are facts, not opinions.

woah.. so this is the power of american scholarly minds
>>
>>78759737
VERY american post
>>
>>78759711
Thank you for this post.

>>78759737
But how would you put YouTube or books down on your resume?
It feels like HR departments demand degrees these days.

>>78759804
Here it seems it'd be nearly free, except living costs. So is it that bad of an idea?
>>
File: 1501881221458.jpg (235KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1501881221458.jpg
235KB, 500x500px
>>78759521
/pol/ is always right leafbro
>>
>>78759521
You're too dumb to pass college anyway.
>>
>>78759883
>It feels like HR departments demand degrees these days.
Yes, that's true. You'll only get employed if you have a degree and everyone who applies to a job will have a degree. The problem is, that hundreds of people will apply for a single job, and among those people, there will be immigrants willing to work for half the pay and twice the work load, and there will also be people with degrees from outstanding universities like Ivy League colleges. Not to mention the people with years more of experience than you (I'm assuming you never performed a job while having a degree). So, tell me. Do you honestly expect you'll get that job you applied for? Obviously not. The nail in the coffin is networking, a smug word for nepotism. If you're not personal friends with the employer or the interviewer, sorry, your chances of getting that job just lowered by ten orders of infinity. You're much better off getting trades and actually starting working, building up connections, learning something by yourself (like coding or a new language) so you can land a good job instead of wasting 4 to 7 years of your life. In the end, it comes down to what I said.
[ ] exceptional college
[ ] a field in rapid growth (CS, robotics, engineering)
[ ] something you have a strong passion for
At least two of these must have a green check on them for college to be worth the time.
>>
>>78760045
How do you know?

>>78760152
What if I network though? That feels like most of where the value of university comes from, networking with profs, students and alumnis.

My friends from highschool even who went to socalled meme schools are doing quite good.
>>
>>78759883
>Here it seems it'd be nearly free, except living costs. So is it that bad of an idea?

why do you think it is so cheap?
government subsidizes it so you accept their line of thinking

if you're smart go and get a science degree
if you're social go into sales
if you're nether go into skilled labour
>>
>>78760281
I think they subsidize it to have a more educated workforce I guess?

>their line of thinking
Like what? Jewish propaganda or whatever? Seems this only occurs in the social sciences. Or could they inject racemixing subliminal brainwashing into physics and computer science courses?
>>
>>78760278
That implies you have good social skills, something I assume most 4chan users don't have. And still, networking within a shitty university won't get you any far.
>>
>>78760278
>alumnis
Anyway, that american cunt is half right.
You should only go to uni if you're interested in what you'll study and won't go into debt for doing so.

Getting a degree in a fast growing field is not a good idea if you don't like what you're studying. Personally I'd never be motivated enough to finish a STEM degree, for example.
>>
>>78759521
Just go STEM
>>
>>78760529
Social skills can be improved and mine are okay anyway. Never understood this "social skills are an innate attribute people are born with" memay on 4chan.

If you dont have social skills you're fucked anyways because every field and area requires it.

>>78760553
Makes sense senpai but feels like even a degree in business admin can be leveraged quite well to earn better money
>>
>>78760418
see
>>78759804
the only thing bailing them out now is international students

if you take any business program you probably have to take an economics class that explains why fractional reserve fiat banking is 'good'

some schools mandate some type of diversity course, no matter what program you're in
>>
>>78759737
>university is for poor and dumb people
Let's see the median income for people who don't have an education post high school
>>
honestly, if you're spending that much time on /pol/ university is probably not the place for you. source: I have two masters degrees and two bachelors degrees - I know what it takes to succeed at university.
>>
>>78760653
>some schools mandate some type of diversity course, no matter what program you're in
Look into that, and don't go to those schools. Conservative universities exist.
>>
>>78759737
I'd call you a retard or tell you to kill yourself or something but I'm pretty sure this is bait
>>
>>78760653
Seems very easy then I don't see the problem.

>>78760727
Why's that? /pol/ is just a board like any other. I see little difference

>>78760754
Like trump university? Sounds retarded dude. I'm okay with taking a diversity course and just saying what they want to hear.
>>
>>78760754
Christian colleges in America give out more useless degrees.
>>
>>78760813
>>78760846
>too lazy to Google
>rely on memes instead
I think >>78760727 might be right.
>>
>>78760977
There's no such thing unless it's a literally-who school or offers unacreddited degrees.

The Jews have infiltrated all areas of society how on earth would they let it pass? The only way is playing their game.
>>
>>78761064
You're completely delusional
>>
>>78761114
Ah yes let me go to a Christian university where they teach you about kissing/welcoming refugees and about how we're all equal and God's children.

It's retarded, what the fuck is a "conservative university"?/
>>
>>78761064
You are fucking retarded. Don't waste your time or anyone else's time with pursuing an education.
>>
>>78761175
I'm the one that's retarded? How the fuck would a christian University have any value for me? Or did you mean to go to Trump university?
>>
>>78759521
You need a college degree to do some things, so it depends on what you want to do.

I went thru an apprenticeship, it worked great for me.
>>
>>78761165
Well, I went to Georgetown which is a Jesuit university and by many aspects is conservative - yet diverse and inclusive.
>>
>>78761165
Google it. If you want an explicitly white nationalist school, then you're out of luck on this continent.
>>78761215
I didn't say or imply either of those things, you child; I said "conservative."
I'm not going to use Google for you.
>>
>>78761240
I went through an apprenticeship/trade school, and then I went to university. I'm glad I did both.
>>
>>78759737
>hi I would like to apply to a job in your company, I am literally uncertifiably neither dumb nor poor but I read a bunch of books and shitpost on the internet so you can trust me

university's not a scam if you know what you're getting into. A scam's when you're sold something other than what you're expecting. If you're expecting more than a degree and obtaining the skillsets necessary to get that degree you're a tard.
>>
>>78761326
Cool, the only additional classes I need are vendor sponsored.
My dad went thru his apprenticeship while going to college, he went hardmode
>>
File: 14963739350031945871508.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
14963739350031945871508.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>78761286
I didn't say I wanted it, I didn't even say I expected it in any capacity.

And no they dont exist in Canada. There's a few christcuck schools for theology studies or whatever and some universities in the middle of nowhere but at that point you might as well put down "The School of Life, 2012 - 2016" and "School of Hard Knocks 2016-present" on your resume.

>>78761245
should've went to University of Pennsylvania. It's ivy league.
>>
>>78761471
>you might as well put down "The School of Life, 2012 - 2016" and "School of Hard Knocks 2016-present" on your resume
You're right. "Nothing at all" is way better.

Wallow in your stupidity, dummy.
>>
>>78761739
I didn't say that u moron WTF?

I'm saying id just go to a proper university instead of a Christian one.
>>
>>78759737
you sound obese
>>
it's a waste of money if you're lazy. if you actually work hard its worth it in the end
>>
>>78761810
>a proper university instead of a Christian one
That's a false dichotomy. Lots of very good schools have a religious affiliation, and even diploma mills are better than nothing.
Get off of pol, and go outside.
>>
>>78762199
You're the one making false dichotomies. What the actual fuck dude it's like you're not even reading my posts.
>>
>>78759521
If your degree ends in -ology it's pretty much 100% a meme degree.
>>
>>78762264
>no u
Go back and re-read your own posts.
>>
>>78762296
>geology
Who wants to have an expert position in an oil conglomerate, amirite guise?
>>
>>78762307
Read your own and then read mine you fucking clown.

>no u
It's not no u if it's literally something you're doing and accusing me of .
>>
>>78759521
No, you should pursue what you like to study. But if you are only interested in money there are trades you can learn without going to university and make comparable money.

Listening to /pol/ is bad advice, flat earth, lizard people, Jews control the world, etc etc etc.
>>
>>78762296
Pharmacology?
>>
>>78762391
Flat earth and lizard people seems more like a Alex Jones thing. The Jew part is kind of true though they do control a little too much relative to their numbers.
>>
>>78759737
>heavy interpretation that implies dozens of layers on several institutions
>almost pure judgement of values in which the criterias have not been clarified
>these are facts, not opinions

Wow, America, you did good today
>>
dont listen to pol obviously, nor to idiots saying ONLY STEM LEL, obviously underage

you can do an degree you are interested in, just make sure you are good at what you are doing

for your employment some are better some are worse, but there was no course for becoming a CEO for ppl, they got some basic uni education to prove they are not dorks, then started climbing in ranks
>>
>>78762437
Even if what you say is true about Jews, that is a far cry from 'controlling the world' type shit /pol/ is known for.
>>
>>78762363
Never heard about that.

>>78762436
Kek if u like working at Walgreens
>>
>>78762535
>>According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), medical scientists who worked in pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing earned an average annual salary of $114,430 in 2015, while those who worked for scientific research and development services earned an average of $104,310.

That's not bad. Why the hate on for people who discover new drugs we can all get high on?
>>
>>78762371
I said conservative universities exist, and your started going off about Trump and Christian universities.
>>
>>78762499
Obviously they dont make meetings every week but it's kind of hard to deny that Jews overwhelmingly try to poison society throughout history especially now.
>>
>>78762606
Idk, here in Brazil all pharma majors end up working in drugstore counters.
>>
>>78762535
>Never heard about that.
I work for a company that makes environmental remediation products. 90% of the project managers I deal with are geologists.
>>
>>78760813
>Why's that? /pol/ is just a board like any other. I see little difference

It's filled with jaded and hateful people with a warped view of reality. You've got to take everything /pol/ says with a grain of salt
>>
>>78762734
>It's filled with jaded and hateful people with a warped view of reality.

Definitely. But I dont see how that differs from any other board here.

>You've got to take everything /pol/ says with a grain of salt

The same can said for any source of information anywhere.
>>
>>78762614
>it's kind of hard to deny that Jews overwhelmingly try to poison society throughout history especially now
Go outside, dork. Do you know what the Jewish conspiracy amounts to? A culture that promotes education, values success, and takes pride in itself. It's just like every other functional culture.
>>
>>78759521
no
t. just finished my comp sci degree and now have a job at 80k/year
>>
>>78762792
I don't see how going outside would debunk this for me. There might be a reason why Jews have been kicked out of every land they've inhabited for thousands of years, unless it's all a coincidence.

>>78762867
What school?
>>
>>78762614
Why is it because one ethnicity is somehow successful it poisons the rest of the world? do you think that the world is a zero sum gain? That we cannot all be happy unless we grind someone else down?

I mean, comparatively, Africans must think there is a western conspiracy that's keeping them down because everybody in the west is so comparably successful through out history while they suffer.
>>
>>78762890
carleton
>>
>>78759521
You're probably going to fail uni anyway, you're not too bright.
>>
>>78762925
I think it has to do with them being behind nefarious things, not that they're successful.

>>78762954
Oh cool
>>
>>78762890
>There might be a reason why Jews have been kicked out of every land they've inhabited for thousands of years,
Because they don't assimilate. Having a different religion can be a little off-putting to some people. I'll admit that I'm a shill for Jews, because I love my wife. Her family may be different, but their success has more to do with their studious, principled, and neurotic nature than any global conspiracy.

"Go outside" doesn't mean just walk out your front door. Meet people. Learn things.
>>
>>78763028
>behind nefarious things
Do you not hear yourself?
>>
>>78762677
They do here to but even the ones at Walmart make 6 figures.
>>
>>78763113
I hear myself quite well what do you mean?
>>
>>78763028
How can you label an entire ethnicity as 'behind nefarious things'? It's as if you believe all Jews are out to get you. Instead of looking at it as a few people who do 'nefarious things' you just lump together an entire ethnic group. Doesn't that seem unfair if you're just some poor dumb guy who is just trying to live and happens to be a Jew?
>>
>>78762535
there's a difference between pharmacology and pharmacy

pharmacology is an undergrad degree

pharmacy is a doctoral degree here, pharmacists make 100-130k a year here and in the US which is great
>>
>>78759521
>Is university a scam
lol senpai no
How could a free thing be a scam?
oh wait...
>>
>>78763407
it's basically free in canada
>>
>>78759711
>I am a completely different person than I was 2 years ago thanks to Uni, I am capable of understanding things that I never really believed I ever could (studying electrical engineering).
Same exact thing for me. I just want to add that you really get out what you put into school. If you're going to show up and act like you won't learn anything, then you won't learn anything.
Additionally school in the US feels like a scam because of the price, but some jobs are impossible to get without a degree (ex: being an engineer working on a public infrastructure project).
>>
>>78763475
are any of them worth going to outside of McGill?
>>
>>78763163
It sounds juvenile and delusional. I'll bet you anything that the attitudinal differences ITT fall along age lines.
t. Grandpa
>>
university is only good if you're a raging normie with campaigning social justice warrior tendencies. if you're posting on image boards then you're not gonna have a good time.

nobody leaned fuck all at university regardless anyway
>>
>>78763532
nobody cares about what uni you come from in my field (software)

certain universities have great programs that rank high in the US as well, ivey business comes to mind
>>
Here in Europe you might as well get a degree because there is no fee and you get money for it

This has inflated the value of degrees on the job market as well though, so without a BSc (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM) you won't get any tech related jobs etc. that aren't phone support. Without a MSc you won't ever make it to a leadership position, etc.
>>
>>78763580
you really have to explain context because that varies from program to program.
>>
>>78763580
Did you go to university?
>>
>>78763633
How competitive is it to get into graduate school there?
>>
>>78763475
then why not try it? if you don't like it then don't go, you won't lose much

>>78763580
>university is only good if you're a raging normie with campaigning social justice warrior tendencies
that is western unis, but he is canadian, so he probs be fine
>nobody leaned fuck all at university regardless anyway
t. brainlet
>>
>>78763694
I'm not op

op is probably too retarded to survive/pass uni anyway
>>
>>78763622
Where should I go if I want to work in software engineering

What province are you in im Ontario
>>
>>78763735
You're too stupid to work as a programmer probably, just give up.
>>
>>78763787
How do you know?
>>
>>78763848
You unironically shape your world view off pol, so you're pretty retarded tbqh
>>
Universities are a scam but they have us by the balls. Thanks to the "free university" meme in most of Europe, it is now impossible to get an entry level job in most industries because they expect you to have a degree. Even masters degrees are starting to become so commonplace that they're just the same as a bachelors degree.

As for what they teach... the arts in most universities are basically marxist brainwashing. STEM is fine tho
>>
>>78763889
I didn't shape anything off of /pol/ though. Not sure why you think using a board means you're somehow molded by eveyrhing on it.
>>
>>78763934
you are a brainlet with very low iq, just give up bro, I can tell you're never gonna make it
>>
>>78763693
As a native: not at all

If you did your undergraduate at the same uni and are just continuing onto your graduate degree you're guaranteed a spot

Even if that's not the case you must be a real mong not to get in (or you're trying to get into one of the 2 or 3 popular programs that might drop your application)
>>
>>78764054
There is no way for you to be able to tell this.
>>
>>78764114
trust me, I know
>>
>>78764127
No you dont
>>
>>78763693
it varies, at my uni you need to take an entrance exam
that gives 45%
your bsc grades another 45%
and if you did publications, conferences etc
that gives the rest (10%)
also you need to have bsc credits from the given field
>>
>>78764333
Yeah, we have none of that except the last part.

Different uni: have cashed out your BSc
Same uni: be last year student to apply, have finished your thesis work to be accepted (so basically only the time for the bureaucracy is cut shorter)
>>
Bump need advices
>>
I wish I wasn't such a FUCKTARD and was capable of majoring in something that isn't lib arts
>>
>>78765192
It's honestly more a lack of workethic and focus than not being intelligent enough
>>
same shitty bait thread again
what does it have to do with /int/?
>>
>>78760152

> You'll only get employed if you have a degree and everyone who applies to a job will have a degree. The problem is, that hundreds of people will apply for a single job, and among those people, there will be immigrants willing to work for half the pay and twice the work load, and there will also be people with degrees from outstanding universities like Ivy League colleges.

merrykah
an ivy league person will not sign up for a $40k/y starting job and immigrants don't have the required skill set

salty person who never finished uni detected
>>
>>78765258
You may be right but I can easily pass any class with minimal effort except math which I failed over and over to even barely pass college algebra
>>
>>78765331
Nothing, but neither do 90% of the threads here. This is just a miscellaneous discussion board now.
>>
>>78759737
what the fuck is "robotics". retard
>>
>>78765427
But did you put enough effort into studying though? Most people fail at math and decide they're not "math people" because it's the first time actual effort is needed.
>>
>>78765504
No but only because studying math is so god damned boring I usually just browsed here or youtube with my study guide open in the other window.
>>
>>78765578
Gee I wonder what could possibly have yielded poor results lol
>>
>>78765667
This hardly my fault I'm not interested in it. There are plenty of math wizes that do poorly in english.
>>
>>78765774
Well yeah fair enough if you're not interested but it's not an intelligence issue, as I said.
>>
File: 1440243532494.png (101KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
1440243532494.png
101KB, 500x366px
>>78765805
I could have been born with a natural talent/love for mathematics though like many people are then I'd actually be useful. Lib arts majors are fucking starbucks workers
>>
>>78766024
Just find something you like? There's got to be something.
>>
>>78766024
There are plenty of high paying careers that don't require a talent/high skill for mathematics.

Law, medicine, pharmacy, accounting, getting an mBA from a decent school, etc.
>>
>>78765444
why do you prefer /int/ of all boards for general discussions? wouldn't you get more replies in /soc/ or some other board?
>>
Just from my experience:
First of all it can not hurt since it is free education. You do learn a lot of useless stuff, but you also learn some important stuff. Plus there are worse ways spending your time than to hang around uni qts and go party with your student mates.

For the job: Guess it really depends how/where you want to work.
If you want to be your own boss and have the dedication to learn all the stuff you need yourself - skip uni.
If you want to work somewhere and uni education is really a great entry card.
I work for an big IT company and just the other day I have seen a case where even the boss wanted to hire a guy that had no uni education but the HR told him he can not hire such a guy for that money.
>>
>>78766101
I am in something I like. Poli sci and it's worthless.
>>78766102
All that's shit requires more than college algebra except law
>>
>>78766106
Not sure. I guess perfect blend of traffic, general board atmosphere and no mods.

>/soc/
Is for meetups and shit isn't it?
>>
File: honda asimo.jpg (45KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
honda asimo.jpg
45KB, 1280x720px
>>78765445
Robotics gets you employment in basically two sectors:
-automation of factories, which is pretty cool and is always on demand
-actually building robots that do chores for people, like taking out the garbage and make you tea
pic related
>>
>>78766137
this lmao
Found out the self taught guy at my work (who definitely knows more/is more capable than me) is getting paid 20k less despite me being a recent graduate and him being there for 3+ years now
>>
>>78766198
look into city planning, it's shit but you can make some decent money if you work for a redevelopment agency in a dying city.
>>
>>78759521
It's a waste of money and time.
>>
>>78766198
Many US medical schools don't even require calculus. Dozens of them (Out of maybe 180) require only statistics.

Also if you study anything like business, accounting, pharmacy you can take light versions of calculus. For example if you're an accounting you might take "Elements of calculus", rather than actual calculus.
>>
>>78766357
FUCK

So this is why you're suppose to go to university...
>>
>>78766418
A degree doesn't mean that much unless you do not have it. Then it will be held against you even if you're experienced. One has to just accept that it is kind of bullshit and move on with it

>>78766405
I genuinely wouldn't want a doctor or pharmacist that couldn't do any calculus
>>
It's important because people think it is.

Occasionally you will find someone who doesn't believe in uni but he will not be asking you which manner of life experience you possess to compensate for your lack of a degree but rather if you want to super-size your meal.
>>
>>78766572
I can almost guarantee you that if you have been to a hospital, you have been treated on some level by a doctor that has never taken a calculus class. Especially if the doctor was in their 40s-50s+.

When medical school admissions were MUCH easier back in the 80s-90s, hell even early 2000s. Even if they did take it, they'd eventually just forget it because you will never use it for save for one subspeciality.
>>
>>78766631
Non uni cucks btfo
>>
>>78766357
What do you do?
>>
If you go to university and take remedial courses it's a waste. If you're interested in studying a particular subject then it's useful.
>>
>>78766817
software dev
>>
University is what you make out of it. You can go out and make connections, expand your views on the world, and engage in your hobbies. You also get a nice piece of paper at the end that in theory gets you a job as well. At the same time, if you end up majoring in something impractical, or prefer a career in something you can do by yourself (like computer programming), you might be better off elsewhere.
>>
>>78766879
Fuck you
>>
>>78766913
?
>>
>>78766879
can you give me tips for applying for jobs just out of school
>>
>>78766879
Why wont u give me advice
>>
>>78766929
Your good at something I'm not good at. So I hate you. All STEM majors must hang.
>>
File: fafsa1.png (18KB, 498x356px) Image search: [Google]
fafsa1.png
18KB, 498x356px
I get paid to go to my cheap state university
>>
>>78767067
What the fuck

I thought Americans were suppose to pay exuberant amounts for education.
>>
>>78766946
america is a goldmine for software jobs, if you can't find a job in a major city then you're missing chromosomes

I'm actually planning on getting a job in the states in 2-3 years because the salaries are much better

>>78766962
because you're already a failure
>>
File: 1414018485744.png (195KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1414018485744.png
195KB, 400x388px
>>78767067
>tfw missed the deadline for seog
>tfw pay 700 per semester when it could be zero
>>
>>78767096
If you're poor (Like me), they will literally pay for you to go
>>
>>78767067
How did you get the work study grant? Is it specific to your major?
>>
>>78767067
What state?
>>
>>78767116
But im not a failure
>>
>>78767096
Mostly applies to the private universities in the U.S.
>>
DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH LA NASHEED
>>
>>78767189
How poor are you exactly tho?

I honestly think ill have to pay more tuition than you
>>
redpill me on accounting and economics in general
>>
>>78767273
Accounting is supposedly the easiest path to a 6 figure salary.
>>
>>78767116
I don't live in a major city and most of the entry level positions only want local candidates
I've had a few interviews, but they were all local
>>
>>78767264
Technically I guess I'm in the bottom 25%. But I've never gone hungry, or have been homeless or anything.

>>78767200
You just have to tick a box in the FAFSA that asks if you're interested. If you qualify, and do it early enough you have a good chance of getting it. I haven't declared my major yet, I may do accounting because I just want to be an office drone that makes an alright salary.
>>
>>78767273
I studied tax law, which basically is the rule side of accounting.
If I could give advice to my past self, I would advice him to study something easy and fun.

Accounting jobs are time consuming and not fun. And unless you start your own business (which you should, but won't) you will spend endless hours doing accounting. Which will never become fun.
>>
>>78759737
*inserts ameribear*
>>
>>78759521
Yes and no.

Studying at university is not a scam. University can impart knowledge upon you, train you discipline in how you're organizing information and teach you how to think and process information independently. All of that is very useful in life in general.

The scam part comes in when you get to the mentality that EVERYONE needs to get a university degree to be worth anything and as a result you have universities selling dumb meme degrees that barely have any use in working life and the society. You do have to remember that university IS a business and needs you (the student) for its livelihood, so it's always best to take that into account when you listen to some unversity representative go on about how great their degrees are.
>>
>>78764333
Yeah, it's the same here, except it's not like percent system like you have. We have GREs (entrance exam), then they look at grades, undergrad research, letters of recommendations, etc. It's really competitive.
>>78764055
>If you did your undergraduate at the same uni and are just continuing onto your graduate degree you're guaranteed a spot
The stakes of life in Scandinavian countries seem to be so low.
:\
>>
>>78767382
I think the ideal job is being a sysadmin. Where you can automatize a large part of your job. You usually don't have to work overtime. And as long as everything works and you stay organized you'll be fine.

And then you can spend your free time on your own projects.
>>
>>78767495
Not very easy to get into though. The shitty thing about all the IT stuff is that you really have to start off at the bottom.
>>
>>78767382
>you will spend endless hours doing accounting
But that's literally what your job is
>>
>>78767096
Depends. I had to pay about $16k/year (I always did summer quarter) for my first two years, then when I turned 25 the government no longer considered me dependent on my parents (despite them never paying for anything before), and now I've been getting more money than I need from the government to cover tuition.
Basically middle class people get fucked, because they're not poor enough for aid, and their parents are too poor to pay for their tuition.
>>
>>78767659
True. It's lame as fuck if you get screwed by your parents not helping you at all but not qualifying for free tuition.
>>
>>78767649
Exactly.
>>
>>78767659
Whats funny is I get FAFSA because I picked my mom when they ask you to pick a parent for their financial history. She's poor as hell but my dad is loaded and covers half of what's left of my expenses.
>>
>>78767659
Also people like their private $45k a year no name universities
>>
>>78766198
medicine doesn't require that much math though.
>>
>>78767746
Wow
>>
>>78767736
I mean you could say that about anything though.

>You will spend endless hours doing programming
>You will spend endless hours reviewing legal documents
>You will spend endless hours looking at patients when the same problem
>You will spend endless hours doing electrician stuff
>>
>>78767835
Law is actually pretty fun, if you have a competitive nature. It's a bit like puzzling against someone else.
And honestly, if you suck at it it's not even your problem, but your clients problem.

Fucking up as an accountant is not a good idea.
>>
Threads like these make me wonder why i'm trowing away so much time browsing this site
>>
>>78768038
Why? We're very smart.
>>
>>78768000
Not the other dude but my family wants me to study law because it's kind of a tradition but I just fucking can't. I'd be so anxious to go to court and actually have to debate someone.
>>
>>78768120
I've unironically learned a lot of useful stuff browsing this site in addition to learning that only black men can satisfy white women
>>
>>78768038
>tfw people my age are entering medical school, travelling overseas with their friends, working or interning for NGOs and big name companies, and making something out of their lives
>all I've done is browse 4chan and occasionally do a part time job

I've come to terms with the fact my life will amount to very little.
>>
>>78768219
That's literally a choice you're making.
>>
>>78768147
There are many things you can do with a law degree.
You shouldn't do it if you don't wqnt to tho
>>
>>78768120
>Why? We're very smart.

I've honestly haven't had a good discussion or argument here in years, they're really rare. Even /his/ and /lit/ don't actually know anything about their subjects
>>
>>78759521
depends. Uni is good to develop a marketable skill set provided you have an industry in mind. It is not good cor saying "yolo" and "getting a higher education, do what you love lol :)"

I have a friend who has taken useless bullshit and is now $80,000 in student loa n debt with no signs of stopping
>>
>>78768000
But this is all subjective. I'm sure there are plenty of accountants that very satisfied with their jobs.

Also, don't lawyers have a really high rate of reported stress and even suicide?
>>
>>78768261
Only have two years left of school and I'm just ready to be done desu. If I got a law degree I'd have a major headstart because of nepotism though. Maybe I'd do it if my current plan fails though.
>>
>>78768284
What's even the downside? Are they gonna dock his pay or some shit?
>>
>>78768284
I know a girl already in about 30k debt (She's a senior) and she wants to be a physical therapist.

The thing I don't get it is that she went to a really expensive private uni when the state college that offers the same fucking degree is maybe 35% the cost
>>
>>78768147
The situation in the Netherlands is not like in America. Here law is a bachelor + master degree. After you finished university you are basically prepared for the work force.
You can become an attorney if you specialize, but you can also represent people or organisations themselves, for which you don't have to be an attorney.

But most lawyers barely go to court. Because lawyers are needed everywhere. You have insurance lawyers, corporate lawyers, privacy lawyers, tax lawyers, administrative lawyers, environmental lawyers etc who do nothing more than just give (internal or external) advice about their field. Because organisations need to know how to handle certain situations.
>>
>>78768444
Why didn't she get the pell grant like the other guy up itt
>>
>>78768536
Even if she did her school costs like 40k a year, she'd still be in debt
>>
>>78768290
Yeah. It can be stressful. But if you pick an employer that doesn't rely on you handling as many cases as possible and finding new clients, then life becomes a lot easier.
>>
>>78768273
you know what, it's been almost 10 years i've been browsing 4ch, and i don't think i've learned anything or have had a significant discussion with anyone in here in the last 5 years.
I need to stop coming here out of boredom and force myself to actually do stuff instead
>>
>>78759737
t. Went to the school of life
>>
>>78768961
Ahahahahahaha how do you spend 10 FUCKING years here?

Better yet how do you realize this is a waste of time NOW?
>>
File: 1307881951532.gif (25KB, 436x457px) Image search: [Google]
1307881951532.gif
25KB, 436x457px
>>78769048
>Ahahahahahaha how do you spend 10 FUCKING years here?
>>
>>78768366
you'll never have a comfortable income until you pay it off, it's a loan like any other
>>
>>78769167
Yeah but what if you just don't pay it off

What if you leave the country?
>>
>>78769048
wait and see i guess
>>
>>78769286
How much of a fucking loser do you have to be to spend that long here.
>>
>>78769333
the kind that is over 25
>>
>>78769458
Very sad
>>
>>78769196
In the Netherlands a student loan defaults after 15 years I believe. How much you have to pay back depends on your income, but after 15 years your always done.
>>
>>78769333
This leaf is guaranteed to still be here 10 years from now.
>>
>>78769527
I pretty much always only post either from the gym, work or when im bored AF and watching tv
>>
>>78769592
>I only post then and then and then
>>
>>78769639
It seems a lot different from the Frenchie only realizing anonymous imageboards are wastes of time a decade later lol
>>
>>78769687
>it's okay because i know it's not
not sure it's that much better 2bh
>>
>>78769687
>when I am at home, at work or sport
>>
>>78769740
It's not having a negative effect on my life whereas for you it is
>>
>>78769835
I wouldn't be so sure, i too have a job and a house, even a gf sometimes. But allowing myself to conscientiously waste my time browsing this site is a nasty habit i suspect i'm not the only one having here.
If reading this you can make you break that habit sooner than i do, well, good for you.
>>
>>78770090
Just log off man it's an anime site
>>
>>78766248
my point is there is no such major as "robotics". it falls somewhere under engineering/EE or whatever. "robotics or engineering" sounds silly.
>>
>>78768961
tell me more please. i've been here for less than a year and i already feel tremendous guilt and a sense of futility. but i comfort myself my thinking i am about to quit. you are saying that may never happen? i mean if something makes me come back here every day for a few months, why would i ever stop?? is it a black hole?
>>
>>78771743
it's up to you really
>>
>>78759521
Fuck the learning material, no good company will hire you without a degree so you're paying to buy that paper and it's fucking worth it. You need it to signal you know your shit and don't just have "your word for it".
>>
>>78772669
Makes sense homie
Thread posts: 215
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.