[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any practical reason to learn a second language as an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: dfsgdfg.jpg (14KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
dfsgdfg.jpg
14KB, 250x250px
Is there any practical reason to learn a second language as an american? I was forced to take language courses from middle school through college and obviously chose spanish and after a few years out I can probably remember 5 words.

Also if there are legitimate reasons what language would be the best to learn? I can't see it being very helpful unless you do it as a hobby or your work requires you to travel to foreign countries
>>
Hvordan kan du kun huske 5 ord hvis du lærte Spansk for så mange år? Amerikanere er dumme
>>
>>78615880
Here in Miami you won't get a job if you're not bilingual.
>>
>>78615880
Yes, it's an assett in the business world if you choose wisely. Also makes you seem higher-IQ.
>>
>>78615880
English isn't as dominant as Anglos think
>>
>>78615880
Learning a 2nd language has the same effect as learning an instrument. It increases IQ, opens up new neural pathways, improves memory, improves mathematics comprehension, and may even help prevent dementia/senility/Alzheimer's. It also opens up an entire world to you in terms of relationships, literature, music, film, and TV.
Which language isn't especially important but yiu want to choose one that will open the most doors, so French, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, or German are your best options as they are widely spoken worldwide and have a long and large artistic history.
>>
>>78615941
it's called sarcasm stupid. I remember things like
>me llamo anon
>tengo un gato en mis pantalones
>perro caca
>>78616112
Personally I feel like the whole "makes you smarter thing" is complete horse shit just like people shilling meditation as some cure all
>>
>>78616293
>Personally
Of course you do
>>
>>78615880
>Is there any practical reason to learn a second language as an american
No
>>
File: Languages World CIA 2016.png (20KB, 780x245px) Image search: [Google]
Languages World CIA 2016.png
20KB, 780x245px
>>78615880
>>
File: voxy-bilingual-infographic.png (2MB, 939x2198px) Image search: [Google]
voxy-bilingual-infographic.png
2MB, 939x2198px
>>78615880
VENTAJAS Y DESVENTAJAS DEL BILINGÜISMO
Resumen
Las personas bilingües tienen que coordinar dos sistemas lingüísticos. Esto implica algunas ganancias, pero también un costo. Las ganancias del bilingüismo incluyen: un incremento de la flexibilidad mental; una superioridad en el desarrollo de aquellas funciones cognitivas relacionadas con la atención y la inhibición; el uso de una cantidad mayor de estrategias cognoscitivas en la solución de problemas; un aumento de la llamada conciencia metalingüística; y una habilidad mayor de comunicación. Entre los costos del bilingüismo se menciona: cierto retraso aparente en la adquisición del lenguaje; una interferencia entre ambos sistemas fonológicos, léxicos y gramaticales; y un posible decremento en el vocabulario en las dos lenguas. Se concluye que existe una gran variabilidad de experiencias lingüísticas en las personas bilingües y un gran número de variables afecta su ejecución en diferentes tareas intelectuales.

ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF BILINGUALISM
Abstract
The fact that bilingual individuals have to coordinate two linguistic systems implies both advantages and disadvantages. Some of the advantages are an increase in mental flexibility; a greater development of cognitive functions related to attention and inhibition; the use of a larger number of cognitive strategies for the solution of problems; an increase in the so-called metalinguistic consciousness; and a better ability to communicate. On the other hand, some of the disadvantages of bilingualism are an apparent delay in language acquisition; interference between the two phonological, lexical, and grammatical systems; and a possible decrease in vocabulary in both languages. The article concludes that bilingual persons display a great variety of linguistic experiences and that a large number of variables affect their performance in different intellectual tasks.
>>
>>78615880
Seeing where America is going you better learn Spanish, or at least have your kids (if you ever have any) learn it as well as English.

Tbh, English is a horribly poor language. I'm not big on immigration and Latinos annoy me most of the time, but proper Spanish language is much richer and more beautiful than English.
>>
>>78619908
are you mentally handicapped? English is the most expressive language in human history. It allows for the description of ideas and abstract thought more than any other shit language
>>
>>78620489
Except it's not. It's pretty good for technical terms though. But it's not very good for expressing your soul. Soulless is a pretty good way to describe it. There is a way I was never touched by poetry in English as much as when it was written in the other languages I know.
>>
I need it because I enjoy reading literature in its raw, untranslated form (Russian, German, French) and because I consume a lot of Japanese medias like visual novels.
>>
What is your definition of 'legitimate reason'? Are intellectual curiosity, cultural affinity and self-improvement not legitimate reasons to you?

The cold truth is: Yes, monetarily, mastering a foreign language takes a lot of time and this time could be spent acquiring a skill with a higher return of investment. Languages are actually not that useful as singular skills.

But is all your life geared towards getting the biggest financial gain out of your time. The explain on e thing to me: We are you on 4chan?
>>
Even learning English is unnecessary for a Dutch person.
>>
>>78616293
>Personally I feel
Science isn't about personal feelings.
>>
I don't really know what language to learn desu.

French is most useful but I love how Italian sounds. But italian isn't usefuk at all. And Spanish is not useful in Europe either.

Hmm.....
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.