[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Americans refer to animals with pronouns they use for objects

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: a.jpg (58KB, 840x530px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
58KB, 840x530px
>Americans refer to animals with pronouns they use for objects
We use "he" and "she"
>>
Whoever told you that was wrong.
>>
>>78574517
Yeah that's weird
>>
>>78574517
Hmm. Mr. Delicia, I use he/she for my dog.
>>
Dogs are shit tier animals and pets
>>
>>78574680
Sure, but just remember dey wuz wolfs
>>
What I find weirder is that Americans refer to machinery as "she".

>git 'er done
>she's a beauty (about a plane or something lol)
>>
>>78574804
>germans think doors are feminine and ponds are masculine
think before you speak, kraut
>>
>>78574804
Which Americans are you referring to? I ain't ever heard of anyone use those pronouns.
>>
>>78574517
This only applies to non-pets.
>>
>>78574900
Yeh but off the top of my head I can't think of any machinery that is female.
>das Auto
>das Flugzeug
>das Boot, das Schiff
Also because everything is gendered, it wouldn't be out of place for a German to refer to machinery as "she". But in English only people are gendered by default, so making machinery female just seems odd.

>>78574920
Liar.
>>
>>78574804
That isn't an American thing. Ships have been refered to as female long before 1776.
>>
>>78574804
The 'er in git 'er dun refers to a task, and I've only heard transportation vessels referred to as she.
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 480x533px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 480x533px
>>78574517
Please stop making rumors about us...
>>
>>78574680
hello pekka somaliasta
>>
>>78575092
Why is the task female? I thought "git 'er done" came from the cable repair comedian guy and "her" referred to a TV set?
>>
>>78575011
Machinery, vehicles, and guns are female because giving them a female name makes take better care of them.
They are also the only females who will never quit on you.
>>
>>78574517
>>78574620
Animals are living creatures, assholes.
>>
>>78575011
Like my fellow countryman, >>78575012, said I've only ever heard of those pronouns being used for ships and nothing else. Machines are called "it."
>>
>>78575191
>Why is the task female?
Dunno. Double entendre, maybe?

And, to answer your initial question, because men (primary operators of machinery) have relationships with machinery similar to our relationships with women. They either make our lives better and more beautiful, or they're a giant source of frustration and annoyance.
>>
>>78575301
Or if someone refers to a machine as female they are probably being sarcastic.
>>
File: golden retriever33.webm (2MB, 406x720px) Image search: [Google]
golden retriever33.webm
2MB, 406x720px
>>78574517
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (618KB, 967x1024px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
618KB, 967x1024px
The worst thing about Americans is that they not celebrate Summerslam and Wrestemania.

When i was a little anon, i thought that this was the most American thing ever. Everyone was free from work to watch Summerslam and Wrestlemania.

You Americans lied to me. I will be the most evil character in WWE.
>>
I don't understand why you Americans don't embrace "it" more. It's so great to have a neutral pronoun. I'd use it all the time.
Don't give me the "it dehumanizes things" bullshit.
>>
>>78575293
t. Golden retriever
>>
File: image.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
image.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>78575654
>mfw it isn't just Americans but the entire english speaking world.
>>
File: file.png (215KB, 415x422px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
215KB, 415x422px
>>78575764
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>78575593
Still very disappointed.
>>
>>78575293
Exactly. That's why we use "he" and "she" instead of "it"
>>
>>78575011
English used to be a gendered language centuries ago. Boats being referred to as "she" is a result of that. Look up linguistic history it's actually very interesting.
>>
>>78577497
>English used to be a gendered language centuries ago. Boats being referred to as "she" is a result of that.

Said the American cuck. The Brits will never say something like this.

And i'm not British. Know your place in linguistics.
>>
>>78574804
The British started that trend
>>
>>78577740
Yeah they would because it's the fucking truth. No random faggot off the street would know this, the vast majority of people wouldn't. Only people who study linguistics or are curious enough to look into it would know.
>>
I think Hunter S Thompson was right.
>>
>>78574580
the dog - it
El gato - él
La gata - ella
>>
In the we use THE to refer to both male and female objects.
And we use IT to refer to neutral things.

English dropped the IT and just used THE. So everything is now either male or female. But its unknown which one it is.
>>
>>78578717
*In the Netherlands we use
>>
>>78574517
we do call them he and she but only when we know what sex it is
>>
>Their language doesn't oblige them to check whether an animal has a penis before talking to its owner about it
>>
>>78578959
You just ask
"cachorra ou cachorro?" or you assume its gender until someone corrects you
>>
>>78576032
Oh shit, excuse my American education, I thought you were insulting us for using he and she for some reason. I'm necking myself right now. I use he and she though.
>>
>>78577740
He's right though
>>
>>78579811
Oh fuck me.
Your balls dropped off somewhere.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.