[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been studying this fucking language for 15 years and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6

File: a.png (29KB, 1280x674px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
29KB, 1280x674px
I've been studying this fucking language for 15 years and I still only understand 85% when I'm watching tv shows and movies. It's like they don't pronounce things properly. Also this fucking language has 1 billion different accents.

Does anyone else have this problem?
>>
>>78513021
no
>>
>>78513021
you have been studying spanish? que bien
>>
>>78513093
US isn't a Spanish speaking country
>>
>>78513117
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJ
>>
>>78513068
>>78513117
Seriously guys. It's depressing.
When I'm watching GoT and those fuckers say something in a british accent or something fast and I can't understand even if I repeat 200 hundred times. It kills me inside. The worst thing is when I use subtitles and see what they said it's something I know and I get so angry.
>>
>>78513277

You're just kinda slow in the head, my bunda loving friend.

Not being able to understand British accents is perfectly normal.

No one here can understand what those inbred fuckers are ever saying, unless it is a very clear and American-sounding accent.

>TL;DR you're fluent, there is nothing more you can do
>>
>>78513277
Just keep watching shows, eventually more and more will come across, also read literature. Don't fret the accents, sometimes we can barely understand one another.
Never seen GoT but maybe try documentaries where the language will be clear, accurate, and free of colloquialisms.
>>
>>78513350
>You're just kinda slow in the head
Do you at least speak a second language?

I only have a problem when it tv shows, music and movies. I can understand 99% of youtube videos and news. Unless it's some obscure accent but even after I listen a lot I can start to get it. I can understand guys like Mcgregor and scottish accent.
>>
>>78513021
I'm having a hard time catching up Kevin Spacey's fake southern accent in House of Cards.
>>
>>78513277
Protip: most foreigners speak English better than the English. Quite a lot of English people can't fully understand some of the accents of other regions of the UK. You worry too much.
>>
>>78513402
I was the same when I first worked with Scots from Glasgow. I was literally half a sentence behind, translating their grunts into comprehensible English.
>>
desu op their movies and things like that have a bunch of noise over the people talking that makes it harder to understand, but if you cant understand someone talking without background noise ur just dumb lol
>>
>>78513400
>read literature
I have read Hemingway, Steinbeck, Vonnegut, Orwell etc..
I've reached a plateau and I don't know how to cross it.
>>
>>78513400
Cont: Just to explain. When it comes to documentaries, news, youtube videos I don't have much of a problem. I have more problems when it's tv shows like GoT or Deadwood etc..

Mumbler actors

Written English is my strongest area. I've read all kinds of literature and books in English.
>>
>>78513021
american accents are easy.
do you understand this alabama man?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbwSUI1w4Tc
>>
>>78513718
Let's see that's a white house, of course
This might be it, there (already?) is]
right here on the corner
let's see (I don't understand)
number 43(?)
Let's see what they have to say about the nazis
Shall we
well, They got a truck (I don't understand)
Hey, what's up with the nazi flag?
are you david?
Hell no I ain't david, i'm joe loew
Blah blah what does it have to got to do with you?
Why do you have a nazi flag?
Do you make the payments on this fucking house?
No I don't
Ok, Dn't fucking worry about it
>>
>>78513655
>>78513697
Anglophones also have problems understanding very different accents, this will never go away, it isn't a plateau so much as a byproduct of a language spoken over a huge swath of the globe, often in isolation.
If you really want to delve deeper take your strength for literature and apply it to learning a regional accent. For example, if you want to understand more of Deadwood, read Cormac McCarthy, Stephen Crane, Louis Lamore, and Larry McMurtry. They often write in regional southern accents. For GoT maybe Dickens? Don't know much about the show but I always read Dickens protagonists in a charming cockney accent.
>>
>>78513021
It's easy tuh speek amuricun son whadarya retarded?
>>
>>78513817
If you think that's bad try an accent from my region:

>Newfoundland (the translator is ok, but clearly not a local)
https://youtu.be/-vWlIvfQTck
Martimer (I talk exactly like Raymond)
https://youtu.be/lZHEwyZUrFU
>>
>>78513718
Cont:
Why do you have a nazi flag up?
What is it to you?
Because this is america not nazi germany?
Don't worry about it you get your ass on your car and get out of here best thing I tell you
... family fuck you
OK
Where do you live? What kind of flag do you fly?
I Fly a rainbow flag, thank you
So what does that tell me about you?
That I'm not a nazi
I'm not a nazi either
This is (nazi?) fucking america
is it?
You get your ass in your car
Lemme ask you something
FUCK YOU
Do you think that trump have something to do with all of this?
>>
>>78513909
10/10. so you have nothing to worry about.
>>
you realize a huge amount of american don't understand brits right?
>>
>>78513718
If you don't get the hell out of here (something) will have trouble, I promise you that
I'm sure we would
Take your queer ass on (?) your ass on fat fucking ass on and go on bitch
You had a choice
I'm going right now
I know where you work too
That's pretty obvious
OK I'm done hehe
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GGA1a4nyVs
if you can understand boomhauer you shouldn't even have to take those proficiency tests
>>
>>78513277
>>78513277
British English takes a while to understand, it's why most people use Trans-atlantic english or just normal American english.

Also on GoT they are using a lot of older words and phrases that modern Brits don't even use anymore. It's easy to not understand all of what they say, sometimes I even turn on subtitles to understand what people say.

If you have problems with anything ask here, a Brit or another native English speaker will be happy to help.
>>
File: baeepem.jpg (68KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
baeepem.jpg
68KB, 1080x1080px
>>78513402

That is how accents work dude.

Just because you can speak a language fluently, does not give you the ability to understand all of its accents.

I for one cannot understand thick Southern accents.

Infact in the US whenever someone is on TV and has a really thick hick, or bayou accent, the TV has to put subtitles on them, because no one can understand what the fuck they are saying.

I even met an Australian about 12 years ago, I could not understand wtf he was saying, and I had to stop and tell him I don't understand what language he is speaking. He fucking exploded in anger and his wife laughed at him and told me that he is Australian and is speaking English.

TL;DR you will never understand what the fuck 85% of British people are saying, most of their accents shouldn't even be classified as being the English language.

>PS please post bunda
>>
>>78513993
98% of Americans I've known can barely make out a word or two he says
>>
File: 1499210717679.png (671KB, 917x588px) Image search: [Google]
1499210717679.png
671KB, 917x588px
>>78513993
>tfw from Kentucky and I understand every single thing he said.
I NEED TO LEAVE THIS PLACE.
>>
>>78514009
I can understand all the words they say when it's written. The problem is distinguishing them trough hearing. Even simple things are hard sometimes. Try learning another language you'll see what I'm talking about lol
I only have trouble with English vocabulary when I'm reading Shakespeare or stuff that old.
>>
i can almost always understand english accents but for some reason i cant tell them apart, i usually dont notice if someone is english until they say it
>>
>>78514031
to be honest i can understand most of it
>>
>>78513993
bill clinton can put on this accent when he is about to tell a lie. "i never lahd to muh people and i never had sex with dat woman".
but hillary can't, lmao
>>
Guys listen to this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpVhSx0fZwM
>>
>>78514054
His accent isn't really that bad. Go in the mountains or the Bayou and then it really gets hard. Once English starts mixing with french or Gaelic it's ear screeching for everyone.
>>
File: 10ass.png (408KB, 563x594px) Image search: [Google]
10ass.png
408KB, 563x594px
>>78513993
>>78513993
>>78513993

OMFG!!!!!!! GUYS!!!!!!

I grew up in Arizona, and I never understood a fucking word Boomhower ever said, then I moved to east Texas for 3 years to go to college, and now I understand every fucking word he says. They literally talk like that over there.
>>
I only have problems when listening to weird names like Tsawwassen, also when arabs talk to me is hard sometimes to keep with what they say. Mi biggest issue is with UK accents, specially the one from Newcastle wich can get insanely fast.
>>
How can I differentiate Australian accent from British? I can tell when someone is canadian because of their "ou"s
>>
>>78514054
really?
i will have to take your word for it. most of us cant. that's why it is funny. that's the whole point. you'd have to be exposed to that kind of an accent on a regular basis to understand it. are you?
>>
>>78514163
>those quads
nice hockey legs. she could be on my team
>>
>>78514236
biggest problem for me is when he says some names that i dont understand, but i think the part that confuses people the most would be how he says dang ol' all the time
or i might just get some few words and make a context out of it, but i honestly feel i can get most of it
>>
>>78514236
Just to clarify. That guy isn't OP.
>>
>>78514184
It takes practice really. I don't know how to describe it but having aussie and brits in my family you can tell the difference.
>>
>>78514263
cool. you could help the 911 operator :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIaUfBjHjpI

>>78514283
ah, ok that got me confused for a sec.
>>
you don't understand real english if you can't understand what this farmer is saying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsUvcjk8J5c
>>
>>78514616
I can't understand shit lmao. Only the narrator

"possibly at night, there be a full moon .. bright out ... mountains ... sheeps ... lambs .. boat? ... It's not that difficult ... a good ? ... put them on a (trailer)? blah blah somebody else picke m up. .. whoever asdasdhas do it ...
>>
>>78514761
That's more than I could get out of it, at least
>>
>>78514616
did he say farty was stolen? that's his favorite sheep?
>>
what about this one lads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-m_BPYJG6M
>>
full version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXiWyqHA024
>>
>>78514906
Only thing I can understand is the guy is talking about things being cold and the interviewer mentions school and he says something about not having a choice
something about frost bite
>>
ITT: Using my native accent (Southern) to test English proficiency
>>
>>78513655
Go to England and force yourself to interact with the fags until you understand them
>>
can you understand ol' John boy?
https://youtu.be/DnMfKacI9AY?t=23m2s
>>
>>78515202
Yes. That guy has a clear accent.
>>
>>78513021
Chill out my friend... Do you think that I'm able to understand all German accents and dialects? It's impossible...
If people don't speak properly and comprehensibly, then it is their fault for being subhuman. This shit doesn't work anymore in a globalized world.
And US movies romanticizing incomprehensible gibberish shouldn't affect your motivation to keep learning.
>>
>>78513021

As a native English speaker, other languages totally confound me. I don't even get why other languages have "genders" or what their purpose is. Seems absolutely unnecessary and just makes it more confusing. Other languages also seem to play very loose with articles like "the" and "of" and "from", where sometimes it means one thing and other times another
>>
>>78513277
I don't understand some of the shit they say in that show.
>>
>>78515776
My dream is noticing things like how bad Euron accent is (I didn't know he was a dane) or Jamie but I can notice how bad Tyrion makes a british accent. My dream is achieving a level where I can tell how different an alabama accent is different from a Texan accent for example. I'll never achieve it but I can dream.
I can recognize generic southern accents
boston accent
canada accent
british accent
canada accent
australian accent if they say "Oi mate"
African accent
That valley girl thing
jamaican
>>
>>78515857
If you're really that into it, just expose yourself to it as much as you can. I can understand even the most backwater people here (except for a few of those really isolated Louisiana accents) because I've lived all over the country. A lot of heavy European accents throw me off, though.
>>
>>78515857
The fuck is "Canada accent"?
>>
>>78516355
There might be many canadian accents I don't know but I recognize canadians when they pronounce the "ou" in "about" or any other word.
>>
>>78513117

AJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJJAJAJAJAJAJJAJAJAJAJJAJAJAJJAJAJAKAJAJAJJJAJAJAJAJJAJAJAJAJAJJA OYE QUE GRACIOSO ERES WEY
>>
>>78516355
Think aboot it, eh.
>>
>>78513277
Those quiet talking brits are impossible to decipher even for native English speakers.
>>
>>78513021
You already know more than your average gringo mate

English has two massive problems:

Doesn't have as many vocals as it has phonemes (sounds)
Their languague is such a tongue twister they either mumble-speak or mutilate the shit out of their sentences

It's how you get shit like spelling bee contests. They can't understand their own words if they don't read them first.
>>
>>78516387
The best way to identify a Canadian is ask them to say "Sorry".
>>
>>78514616
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjTIFkWJctY
>>
>>78514041
I live in Michigan and I understood him. It's not terribly hard to do so my dude.
>>
>>78513400
Agreed. Documentaries use a much more plain language. The excessive amount of slangs and jargon in casual movies and series make them impossible for foreigners to fully understand even if they spent their entire life studying and practicing English. There are always words you never heard before, now matter how much you keep watching new stuff.
>>
Foreigners have trouble understanding how big America is. Linguistically, geographically. I've had people on here seriously assume that I know particular people they've heard of in America, or that I must've met their friend who moved here, because it can't be that big. I've never even been to whatever city they're talking about.
>>
>>78513021
I studied English in school for about 10 years and after that I still could hardly unterstand the basics when talking to Anglos.
Only after I started watching TV shows on an almost daily basis for about 3 years I started to really understand them.
>>
>>78513277
don't worry about brits, their accent is so retarded even I can't understand a word of what they're saying sometimes
just focus more on being able to decipher American Northeast, Southern, and Midwestern accents, those are some of the most widely spoken ones.

and as a note, don't worry about trying to understand Italian New-Yorkers either. Their accent is even more retarded than the brits'
>>
>>78515857
game of thrones is a fantasy world, their accents don't need to be accurate
>>
File: IMG_0420.jpg (56KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0420.jpg
56KB, 641x530px
>>78513021
Keep watching television OP, you'll soon enough gain more of an idea. Honestly, the stage at your at is incredibly impressive. I'm learning Arabic and I am still a super begininger, barely understanding typed and written besides a few words, and this is only in Modern Standard Arabic.

Tomorrow I think I (or you) could start an English language general, because I've never seen one and it would be a great way to help all the non-natives speak and learn English. Feels good to help desu but let me know what you think. It's 5 am here and I need sleep
>>
>>78513021
I haven't heard of the American language before
>>
do americans really not understand the english?

I can understand pretty much any accent apart from those irish ones that are completely fucking indecipherable, who I assume are from the gaeltacht
>>
File: 1410105911134.jpg (10KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1410105911134.jpg
10KB, 251x242px
>americans can't comprehend english

a completely and utterly retarded people
>>
>>78514184
>>78514296
wtf we're completely distinct
do you actually think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef-fhREPK9A sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0a-FOoM9ms
>>
>>78516355
one of my lecturers at uni is Canadian and she definitely sounds just different enough from an American to stand out, I assume that's the Canadian accent?
she's from rural Ontario if that means anything

>>78515857
don't worry about not being able to differentiate between accents, that's a complete meme. there's too fucking many in England alone to make it work it.
other accents are too hard to pick up unless you're completely immersed in them too. For example I don't think anyone outside of Australia knows that Western Australians, South Australians and northern Queenslanders have different accents, but locals will immediately know the general region you're from once you open your mouth since we're so used to the accents that we can pick up on the differences
>>
>>78518972
literally everyone gets that mate

I go to fucking Melbourne and everyone assumes I must know their mate since we're both from Perth.
>>
Yes it's not my fault that I can't into English for shit
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.