[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do Americans treat their constitution like some infallible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

File: we_the_people.jpg (201KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
we_the_people.jpg
201KB, 720x960px
Why do Americans treat their constitution like some infallible holy book? You don't see that with other nations, they realize that law can always be changed and that the laws created 250 years ago may not suit the modern times.
Similarly, you hear Americans unironically say
>what would the founding fathers say about that?
Where does this personality worship come from? Every nation has its national heroes but they don't pretent they're still relevant.
>>
>>78338208
Why do euros sperg out about tradition?
>>
Why do you care?
>>
>american constitution lets me own guns and say what i want
>german constitution gets me arrested for holding my arm the wrong way

Hmmm
>>
>>78338208
>Allowing the powers that be too change the laws to better suit their politics
>>
>>78338208
>Why do Americans treat their constitution like some infallible holy book?
They're idiots.
>>
You can change the constitution though, what do you think the amendments are?

As for the personality worship, Americans don't usually have any connection to the European powers and civilisations who created them, many will see absolutely no connection between them and the Kingdoms of England, France or Spain. They tend to see their history as a nation beginning in 1776, and so tend to cling on to the figures and ideologies of that time.
>>
>>78338208
Overcompensating for their relative lack of history

My grandparents house is over 400 years older than their country and that's barely even noteworthy here
>>
>>78340811
americans havent exterminated ppl based on their ancentry regardless of action so far

dumb chinks
>>
>>78341011
>germ men need a constitution to prevent them from committing genocide

Can't make this shit up
>>
>>78338208
americans are much more similar to extreme islamists than to european ideals and values.

They don't even have civil law
>>
>>78338208

Prbably because that's the only heritage they have.

Take that away from them, and it's just the McDonalds Judean Republic
>>
Because it's pretty damn near perfect. Most of society's issues arise when we let people circumvent or reinterpret what is a fair and balanced document. The principles it espouses are very hard to argue against.
>>
>>78341263
if it's perfect why is america in trillions in debt
>>
>>78341345
Who's gonna me them pay? You?
>>
File: shall not be infringed.png (245KB, 738x1688px) Image search: [Google]
shall not be infringed.png
245KB, 738x1688px
>>78341263
>Because it's pretty damn near perfect
>>
>>78341409
>default on debts
>nobody will give you a loan anymore
>government shuts down
>society collapses as nobody gets paid, food and water companies go on strike
>>
>>78341345
You know there are many reasons for this, but the two main ones are:

Because Hamilton was a piece of shit

Politicians never kill sacred cow spending so our budget is never actually sensible (see balanced)
>>
>>78341409
The American taxpayers recently gave your failed banks billions of dollars, for fucking up, and it going to happen again soon.
>>
>>78341470
it's almost like it isn't actually a perfect idea and democracy is a short sighted system that is only concerned about the next four years, politicians continually borrowing and putting off problems in order to get re-elected and expand government power

if only we had a system where people were tied to the nation itself through the land, rather than the whims of an electorate, perhaps one that already exists and has worked successfully for thousands of years...
>>
>>78341499
blow it out your ass
>>
>>78341345
Because they choose to be and it's better than the alternative.

>Hey let's sell Treasury Bonds
rest of the world:
>yeah let's buy tons
you idiots:
>OH NO THE DEBT IS SO LARGE
>>
>>78341412
>gun control leads to less gun violence

Bad meme

>his entire country gave up their guns after a single shooting despite that it has had no effect on crime and despite that australia has practically never had a problem with gun violence
>>
>>78341607
it's never good to be in debt
>>
>>78341621
it is for countries that print their own money
>>
>>78341412
>This shit tier bait
>>
File: 1487850413737.png (41KB, 1790x1640px) Image search: [Google]
1487850413737.png
41KB, 1790x1640px
>its another "some butthurt cuck country getting irrationaly mad and sperging out at the USA for existing thread"
Feels good to always be on your minds ;)
>>
>>78338208

>Why do Americans treat their constitution like some infallible holy book? You don't see that with other nations

LOL.

It happens the same in Sbane. Except for when Frau Merkel demands something and the cowards we have as politicians change it subtetly so no one realizes it until too late.

Every Constitution should be revised every few years to adapt to the needs of the country.
>>
>>78341636
no it isn't, the inflation caused by that makes the average person poorer
>>
>>78341345
>>78341621
The "debt" of a country is a completely different concept then the debt of a person.
Most of it is "owed" to private people and institutions through treasury bonds, a product that is made to used exactly this way, it's the worlds most stable investment and a backbone of the global economy. There is huge demand for this kind of debt. What people like you are proposing is to stop selling Treasury Bonds which would be a lost opportunity at best and fucking retarded at worst.

People are literally telling the US: "please let me give you a small loan with small interest as a stable investment, which has become a backbone central to the world of global finance"
You're proposing saying "nah" for no other reason but "but the scary number get's smaller".
There is no benefit to this.
>>
>>78341692
I seriously don't understand why Europeans think their opinion on US laws matters at all. I don't give a shit how they govern their countries.
>>
>>78341711
A small controlled inflation is the best option and deliberately created. It doesn't make the average person poorer unless their so dumb they put the money under their matress instead of in something that gets interested.
>>
>>78341747
You should invest in tangible things instead.
>>
>>78341780
You have the goldbug fallacy mate.
>>
>>78340618
>>78340718
>>78341766
>>78341692

>Burger getting defensive because someone even just asks a question about their constitution.
If it's so infallible, why are you so insecure about it?
>>
I don't think progressives like it very much.
>>
>>78341797
just don't see how constant inflation is necessary desu

how does it make my life better in any way
>>
>>78341807
Why do Germans sperg out about all things American across all boards?
>>
>>78341807
It isn't infallible. It's just way better than the slop any current politician would come up with. The founders made a template that truly respects freedom. Anything the current elite would craft would be 1200 pages long and would shit on the people in a million subtle ways.
>>
File: 1488978458818.jpg (64KB, 820x820px) Image search: [Google]
1488978458818.jpg
64KB, 820x820px
>>78341807
No, I'm simply pointing out that there's atleast 3 threads getting angry about, and making the same meme jokes about the U.S everytime I come here. Talk about something else you whiney fucks lmao.
You get hyped up and self-righteous, but fail to see the irony that constantly making bitching threads is just letting the U.S have more influence over you than if you just said fuck it and made threads about something else.
We subvert your culture, you buy our goods and intake our media, and even let us control your emotions on your online taiwanese pottery boards.
It feels pretty fucking good and bad at the same time.
>>
File: BunreachtHead.jpg (21KB, 528x319px) Image search: [Google]
BunreachtHead.jpg
21KB, 528x319px
>>78338208
our constitution is the best one
>>
>>78341412
How many of those incidents are suicides or attempted suicide? Also why should someone with no criminal record, no mental health issues not be allowed to own a gun?
>>
>>78341820
Deficit spending is a kind of investment in the future. If the country is politically stable then it's almost certain to return on economic growth.
The supply purchased in return for bonds can be used wisely or foolishly, but the act itself is inherently neutral.
>>
>>78341998
I think around 50% of gun deaths are suicide.
>>
>>78341711
understand the difference between the state and the citizens
>>
>you now realize Americans have no privacy or net neutrality because it's not in their infallible constitution
>>
>>78342137
If you think you have privacy just because your government says you do, then I think you're being naive.
>>
>>78342047
I think we should just wait until we have the money, then build the planned investments. You never know what the future will hold. And we should keep a large rainy day fund for if we need it. I'm willing to accept higher taxes and lower spending for this to happen.
>>
>>78342249
>dutch ISP's aren't allowed to scan your traffic, so they can't even see if you torrent or not
haha lol america
>the Netherlands has no decryption orders, so encrypted email is locked forever
haha lol america
>it's forbidden to read any of my mail or check out my phone without a court order anyway
haha lol america
>>
>>78338208
>Why do Americans treat their constitution like some infallible holy book? You don't see that with other nations, they realize that law can always be changed and that the laws created 250 years ago may not suit the modern times.

What do you think amendments are? What do you think laws passed by Congress are?
>>
>>78338208
Don't Americans mostly just argue against legislation because it can be viewed as unconstitutional? In that case it makes perfect sense to treat it as a "holy book", of course anything that seems to circumvent or ignore the constitution is going to cause issues.
>>
>>78340981
>Kingdoms of England, France
Meh 49 states have common law based on England and Lousiana has common law based on French Law.
>>
>>78341005
>My grandparents house is over 400 years older than their country and that's barely even noteworthy here
Brits can say that not sure if many people in OP's country can.
>>
>>78341345
I own some of that debt. In fact most is owned by American citizens.
>>
>>78342249
The difference is that in the Netherlands you are allowed to protect yourself from government espionage, unlike in the USA.

Which is why we have private search engines (ixquick, startpage), private email (startmail), 1tb free encrypted file storage (transip stack).

Which is a breath of fresh air compared to American services that shit on your privacy.
>>
>>78342550
75% of houses in the u.k were built after ww2. So he's probably lying
>>
>>78341440
>default on debts
Except we don't part if our budget involves paying interest and older debts.

Also you're number 19 on this list and EU countries are all over it. Guess whose not in the top 25?

http://www.businessinsider.com/countries-with-the-worlds-highest-level-of-debt-2017-6/#15-spain-996-a-victim-of-the-eurozone-debt-crisis-spains-economy-is-battling-chronically-high-unemployment-particularly-among-the-countrys-youth-9
>>
>>78341848
>Why do Germans sperg out about all things American across all boards?
A lot aren't German but Turks, a Russian and Balkan diaspora. You know people from countries that are wretched shitholes in comparison.
>>
>>78341998
>>78342053
It's higher, 60% of u.s. gun deaths are suicides.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States
>>
>>78342604
Where did you get that statistic from? Most of the country wasn't bombed, and the reason why there's a housing crisis is because building didn't keep up with immigration levels. Even in London there are plenty of pre war houses.

https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/property-build-period-lsoa
>>
>>78342687
Pretty much every source that isn't the CIA has the US pegged at anywhere from 98% to 106%, which would peg them squarely at #16.
>>
>>78338208
It's always Krauts who have the greatest trouble understanding that the government isn't infallible. If your constitution is easily changed by parliament of majoritarianism (referendum), then you might as well not have one.

>>78341974
>can have any or all provisions changed by 51% of the population
Not worth the paper its written on.
>>
>>78342806
I forget where i read it. But most of the housing in the uk are in areas that Germany bombed. They just rebuilt it after the war
>>
>>78342516
>Don't Americans mostly just argue against legislation because it can be viewed as unconstitutional?
It's the most effective tactic as the Supreme Court's ruling on it can destroy legislation.
>>
>>78342875
>parliament of majoritarianism
*or
>>
>>78338208
It's pretty much exactly how Germans are, only less shifty.

Germans believe unquestioningly in whatever current power holds office, be it Hitler or asylum Merkele.

Americans have the same thing, only they don't switch all the time, and the original thought behind their plan is far superior to Germany going back and forth from extreme right to extreme left.
>>
>>78342800
>Firearm homicides
>Number of deaths: 11,008
>statistics taken from 2014
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

>Firearm suicides
>Number of deaths: 21,386
>statistics taken from 2014
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/suicide.htm

21386/11008=1,942
suicide-to-homicide ratio is 1:1,942

>total number of deaths in 2014: 2,626,418

Firearm related homicides is 0,4% of the total amount of deaths in 2014 in the us, from an autistic outsiders perspective, the severity of the gun violence in america seems to be blown way out of proportion when you really look at the data
>>
>>78342604
>75% of houses in the u.k were built after ww2. So he's probably lying
Wasn't that mostly council housing for poor people and immigrants. If his grandparents have money I wouldn't doubt it.
>>
>>78343003
forgot a link
https://www
cdc gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_05.pdf
>>
>>78342875
wtf stop hating democracy
>>
File: 7-surfthetrain.jpg (61KB, 528x396px) Image search: [Google]
7-surfthetrain.jpg
61KB, 528x396px
>>78343003
>Firearm related homicides is 0,4% of the total amount of deaths in 2014 in the us, from an autistic outsiders perspective, the severity of the gun violence in america seems to be blown way out of proportion when you really look at the data
It is, I honestly am more concerned with shitty drivers. I also live in NYC so I'm probably more likely to get stabbed by a crazy person.
>>
>>78343077
If democracy is so great, why do we need a constitution to limit it?
>>
>>78342523
doubt 1 in 10 people know who harold godwinson is in america
>>
>>78343195
it limits the power of the elected representatives, not democracy per se
>>
>>78343538
Democratically elected representatives.
>>
>>78343564
yeah, it limits the representatives and forces them to get a stronger democratic mandate to proceed
>>
>>78338208
why does every word that comes out of a europeans mouth have to be about america
>>
>>78338208
because the Constitution is the supreme law of the land.
>>
>>78343732
>forces them to get a stronger democratic mandate to proceed
Here you go subtly changing the subject.

Individual rights constitutionally limit the legislation passed by democratically elected representatives. If democracy is so infallible, why do we need anything but a vote every few years to run our country?

Also, if a simple nationwide majority is sufficient to invalidate any provision of the constitution, why do we have constituencies? Why shouldn't we fill the Dáil with nationwide simple majorities?
>>
>>78343778
they want to hate on something and Russia is too close for comfort.
>>
>>78343846
because democracy isn't infallible that's the point of multipronged approaches lol
>>
>>78343846
>Also, if a simple nationwide majority is sufficient to invalidate any provision of the constitution, why do we have constituencies?
If the US had that system, California, New York and Illinois would be picking our presidents 100% of the time.
>>
>>78343965
That's what I'm saying. In Ireland, that's how we change our constitution. Can you imagine CA, NY and IL deciding on what enters or exits the text of the constitution?

>>78343932
>wtf stop hating democracy
>democracy isn't infallible
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.