[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How well-known is the Wild West in other countries? It'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: Western-Background-HD.jpg (264KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Western-Background-HD.jpg
264KB, 1920x1080px
How well-known is the Wild West in other countries? It's pretty popular here but I wonder if that's just because it's part of our history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaFbMbyoqek
>>
File: Plakat_BS_2007.jpg (475KB, 551x780px) Image search: [Google]
Plakat_BS_2007.jpg
475KB, 551x780px
>>77971447
The Wild West is very well-known here because of the "Winnetou" novels by Karl May
>>
File: pullmann-city.jpg (137KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
pullmann-city.jpg
137KB, 800x535px
It's an essential part of a very small, but very dedicated Americana subculture in Germany. Cowboys, Indians, horses, Monument Valley, cactuses, bisons, wild west and western are essential archetypes of Americana to these people, not lastly due to the Karl May novels the other guy has already mentioned. There are in fact even a few fake western town amusement parks in Germany.
>>
>>77971712
>It's an essential part of a very small, but very dedicated Americana subculture in Germany.
Which was way bigger in the 1970s and 1980s than today.
>There are in fact even a few fake western town amusement parks in Germany.
Yeah, every amusement park seems to have a Wild West corner.

Also, German country music is a thing, although not that popular:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3zckDtbmog
>>
File: bud.jpg (60KB, 630x448px) Image search: [Google]
bud.jpg
60KB, 630x448px
>>77971447
yes, does america know these?
>>
>>77971804
>Which was way bigger in the 1970s and 1980s than today.
Americana still seems very alive. Towns have linedance competitions and half the cars at classic meets are some variety of American iron, the gaudier the better.
>>
>>77972161
>Towns have linedance competitions
Never heard about that. Maybe it's just more common in the South.
>>
>>77971712
>>77971804
tbf western parts of amusement parks are comfy af
>>
yep, who doesnt love cowboys
>>
>>77971447
We call this place the far west
>>
old west or wild west, what's the difference
>>
>>77971447
Well, I read Lucky Luke as a kid, I assume everyone does. That's about it.
>>
>>77971447
I'd say pretty well known considering it's also a part of our history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Q_iXLbat4
>>
>>77982023
>Mexico
>History
If by history you mean being savage monkeys until getting btfo by Spanish then ok.
>>
Old wild western movies are popular
>>
>>77971447
It used to be really popular about 40 years ago. Kids would play cowboys and natives in the forests and there were a lot of wild west movies being shown on the TV. These days I don't think kids even know what the fuck the wild west was.
>>
>>77982213
Well at least we don't have to steal it from other peoples burguer
>>
>>77982023
>>77982213
He's right though, don't be a dick. Northern Mexico and Southern US/Mountain States had a big cowboy culture.
>>
>>77982854

Nonsense. There have been so many recent movies, TV shows, and video games set in the wild west that everyone knows what it is. Plus, they still sell cowboys and indian stuff in the toy stores. You'd know if you had children.
>>
>>77983740
It's still a whole different thing compared to what it used to be. Back when your parents were kids I bet they thought cowboys and indians were the coolest thing in the world. These days, not so much.
>>
>>77983980

Maybe, in terms of the kind of choices kids have, but as a genre or theme... Man, it's bigger now than it ever was.
>>
>>77984021
I take back what I said about modern kids not even knowing about it, but it's not big in the same way as it was back then. Back then it was the "pokemon" on the time, it was THE thing. These days it's just one theme amongst so many others.
>>
>>77984080

I get your point and I agree, but still, as a genre or theme, it's so much bigger and well-developed now. But you're right, it's not THE thing.
>>
>>77971447
>Wild West
My father made me watch Bonanza from start to finish, 3 times, and I know for a fact that he eventually saw it again.

I hate anything western now.
>>
>>77984080
Can't talk for all kids but my son (4 years old) loves cowboys and all of it. His favorite cartoon is Lucky Luke and we have been to the High Chaparral theme park several times (which are extremely popular by the way)
Sure westerns movies and such isn't as big as it was in the 50's -80's but it's still far from forgotten. And if my son shows the future it won't be forgotten anytime soon either.
>>
>>77984329
I didn't know High Chaparral was still around. I went there once when I was a kid.
>>
>>77984488
Oh it's still around. My kid has to visit at least once per year hehe. They have upgraded a lot actually now as well.
And I'm not ashamed to admit i quite enjoy the gunfights ;)
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.