[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The most common surname in Spain is "García" which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

The most common surname in Spain is "García" which is a surname of Basque origins, really puts my mind into a deep state of meditation.

Spain is, basically, a bigger romanized Basque Land, something many authors throughout history already noticed, not surprisingly the Spanish/Castillian (and also Catalan) language despite deriving from Latin is full of Basque words for the most common and everyday things, like "left" (izquierda) or "bag" (mochila).
>>
What's your point though?
Basque is still weird as fuck and has little contamination with Spanish aside from a bunch of words (which of course is obvious and bound to happen)
>>
>>77915484
It's easy, Castillian/Spanish was formed by Basques adopting the Latin Hispanorroman dialect, no wonder the old core of Castille encompassed many regions populated historically by Basques (La Rioja, Vizcaya, etc.).
In even more ancient times regions like Catalonia, Aragon and basically all North/North-East Iberia was populated by Basques, who with the advance of the Romans and later invaders like the Visigoths were either pushed back to modern day regions or were Romanized.

Basque, or better said "Batua" which is a modern construction using all the Basque dialects, has many words of Greek/Latin/Spanish origins, most of them modern (science/technology fields and such)
>>
all the roman emperors were basque and they also colonized america israel japan australia and nepal
>>
>>77916170
das 'rite patxi

WE WUZ BASQUES AND SHIEEET
>>
>>77915441
Spanish phonetics were heavily influenced by the basque/iberian substrate and we have many words from iberian like perro (dog).
>>
File: a22.png (112KB, 634x697px) Image search: [Google]
a22.png
112KB, 634x697px
>>77916170
my surname is garcía too so it looks like i am son of rome
>>
>>77915441
Mohamed can be a surname? Never heard of it.
>>
>>77916302
The way some of our ancestors couldn't properly pronounce the letter "F" in many words lead to things like adopting the Latin word for iron "Ferrum" and turning it into "Hierro" instead of "Ferro" like in Portuguese, Catalan or Italian.

Other words like "herida" instead of "ferida" (catalan) or ferita (italian) follow this tendency too.

This happened not in ancient times but in the beginning of the earliest Castillian Kingdom, so probably it is another mark of old Basque influence that didn't happen to other Iberian languages. Some could say that it is another sign that Castillian was basically formed by struggling Basques trying to speak or adopt the Hispanorroman Latin.
>>
>>77915441
Also, notice how the García surname spread north to south during the Reconquista from the old Castillian core (Burgos, Palencia,...) next to Navarre and modern day Basque Country but not to Leon, which is a Kingdom that Castille absorbed politically/militarilly but never really settled.

The early Kingdom of Aragon is basically a split-off of Navarre and there were always Basques around the region so it was always there and spread naturally with inner migrations (and more later due to industrialization).
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.