[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>languages that wait till the end of the sentence to put information

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 13

File: maxresdefault.jpg (51KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
51KB, 1920x1080px
>languages that wait till the end of the sentence to put information that changes the entire meaning of that sentence

Reee why do you do this?

"I go to the store when, I will Buy a hat"

"I've sold these hats after, I will be rich"

These makes no logical sense. You spend the start of the sentence misunderstanding .
>>
what
>>
>>77912631
Are you retarded?
>>
File: Reichskröte.png (95KB, 2148x1900px) Image search: [Google]
Reichskröte.png
95KB, 2148x1900px
>tfw you with a foreigner who just German to learn begun has talk and their anxious expression watch when you until the end of the sentence wait the relevant information to give
feels good
>>
File: Ahh Tsumugi.png (206KB, 304x215px) Image search: [Google]
Ahh Tsumugi.png
206KB, 304x215px
>>77913187
Ahhh! How do you think like that!? Why do you like having to think and memorize everything you're going to say before you begin!?
>>
>>77912631
Japanese?
>>
File: 1491537950223.jpg (64KB, 720x715px) Image search: [Google]
1491537950223.jpg
64KB, 720x715px
>not having free word order
>having articles
>not having the word order dictate the topical emphasis
yikes...
>>
>>77913274
I wasn't really aware of it until I saw some people complain about it on here. It's not really a problem unless you start tryharding. It can happen in academic texts that the prefix of a verb comes three lines after the verb, but those texts are usually fucked up enough to be unreadable in any language.
>>
>>77913475
Idk, in English you can just start talking and stop whenever, but German has the separated verbs and subordinating conjunctions and all the other stuff that makes you have to think of the end before you begin
>>
>>77913789
>English you can just start talking and stop whenever
English has stricter rules for word order than German does, they just come to you automatically because it's your mother tongue. I still regularly fuck up parts of the English word order. For me, German word order is easier because it's my mother tongue. I don't think there's large difference there.
>>
>>77913280
I'm specifically talking about Chinese, not sure if it happens in Japanese as I don't know it.

In Chinese you'd say:

我卖了这些帽子以后,我就有很多钱

If you're hearing or reading that you'd be thinking "Ok 'I've sold these hats' so we're talking about an event that happened in the past" then BANG 以后! (After) So now we're suddenly talking about an event that hasn't happened yet.

The sentence in English is "After I have sold these hats, I will be rich", but the order is "I have sold these hats after, I will be rich".
>>
File: 1488564215430.jpg (41KB, 520x417px) Image search: [Google]
1488564215430.jpg
41KB, 520x417px
>>77913948
>>
john's big ret flat delayed stinky ass friend

Oh right we're talking about a friend
>>
>In his language he has to know what he's going to say before he's finished saying it.

Feels Heptapod man
>>
>>77913942
Well |I guess| technically you're right, |it is| stricter because |German is| usually verb in second and subject next to it somewhere, but since |English is| usually subject then verb then your phrases or objects, once |you start| |you can| just keep going
>>
File: 1484433345812.jpg (112KB, 395x578px) Image search: [Google]
1484433345812.jpg
112KB, 395x578px
>>77914008
>>
>>77914068
Unexpected but really good post
>>
>>77914100
In Asterix in Britons we make fun of retarded word order in english.
>>
I fucked my....
Why do Anglos put whom they fucked in the end?
>>
>>77914238
At least it's not those languages that go "Had sex with I her".
>>
>>77914296
It doesn't matter since Had in that language is for the 1st person. English is one of the only languages needing pronouns to make sense
>>
For example in Albanian I only have to say only fucked, (I)fucked(her), and it means I fucked her, because the form of the verb changes

Unë e qiva atë-I fucked her
E qiva -fucked, but the qiva form is o
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (23KB, 248x189px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
23KB, 248x189px
>His language has honorifics
>>
>>77913789

In Spanish when you give an answer, it is common to start with the noun or verb most relevant to the question.

Imagine someone on tv says "The Tutsi are being massacred in Rwanda"

If someone asks Where is that Genocide happening?, you would answer something like In Rwanda the Tutsi are being massacred/In Rwanda are being massacred the Tutsi. In Spanish both are the same and it is not awkward.
En Ruanda están siendo masacrados los tutsis/ En Ruanda los tutsis están siendo masacrados.

If someone asks whats happening to the Tutsi, you would begin the answer with the massacred part, and if someone asks who is getting massacred in Rwanda, you would begin with the Tutsi part.
>>
File: honorifics.webm (3MB, 1280x836px) Image search: [Google]
honorifics.webm
3MB, 1280x836px
>>77914754
I feel obligated to post this.
>>
>>77915344
In Chinese when asking a question, you put the "question word" (Who, what, where, why, how,) Where the responded would place their information. So you have to think how the question is answered.

For example. "You want to go where to eat?", "I want to go to mcdonalds to eat". "You are where person?" "I am a Chinese person".
>>
>>77915344
In German the same thing is possible. German doesn't have a SVO word order, the verb must be in second position and it doesn't really matter what comes before. In normal sentences, you just put the subject before the verb, but if you want to put emphasis on something (just like in situations like these), you can put other things there and put the subject somewhere else.
If you want to put the verb first, you can do this by putting a dummy "es" before it.
e.g. Es trinkt der Mensch, es säuft das Pferd, heute ist das umgekehrt.
word by word: It drinks the human, it binges the horse, today is that vice-versa
>>
>>77913948
Yeahs that's pretty gay
>>
File: 1474760886096.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474760886096.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
Language in general is kinda crazy and/or dumb. All the major ones were constructed piecemeal by people who didn't give a fuck, didn't know each other, and then on top of that ate like six other languages.

Actually I'm pretty sure most languages have eaten a bunch of others. I know English was originally the Angles, and then the Saxons came in and fucked it and made that weird misshapen baby, and then the Nords showed up briefly for a threesome, and then the French came over and shoved in some verbage, and then the English themselves started picking up loanwords from everyone they met like a prostitute in Brazil picking up STDs. Not to mention the divide between British and American English because the Founding Fathers felt like it, and also oceans.

Spanish was a mash of the original language there (temporarily forgot the name) and Arabic, and that was another language breeding with Latin, which was stupid from inception...

It's only going to get dumber as time goes on and this massive linguistic orgy called "the internet" continues. Just look at the weebs using pidgin Japanese: Now imagine that, but a language built out of just that from every language on Earth.

God I love languages.
>>
File: 1499929000240.jpg (35KB, 479x395px) Image search: [Google]
1499929000240.jpg
35KB, 479x395px
>>77913187
me rn:
>can speak german fluently
>reads the sentence the first time
>"haha yeah that'd be pretty funny"
>reads some other posts itt
>"wait a second"
>reads again
>mfw
>>
>>77914456
Une qiva mamin tuaj
>>
>>77916030
I don't speak any German and I got it without much stumble. I noticed it was weird but after I noticed what he was doing it kinda just flowed.

t. Germanic language brotherhood
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.