[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Today, the state of North Carolina has more citizens of Scottish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: Flag_of_North_Carolina.svg.png (31KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_North_Carolina.svg.png
31KB, 750x500px
Today, the state of North Carolina has
more citizens of Scottish ancestry than any other state or country, including Scotland (Highlander, 2000).
>>
Yep. Most come to America because they were disposed from their land in Scotland so the British compensated them from land in NC. Also Lowland Scots came from Pennsylvanian after going there from Northern Ireland.
>>
>>77905409
>British compensated them from land in NC
where did you read this?
>>
>>77905857
It appears that the main cause of most of the emigration from Scotland during this period was due to the rapidly deteriorating economy and standard of living in the Highlands and the lure of economic relief and the promise of a
golden future in America as communicated through letters from America to Scotland. Letters written from North Carolina to friends and relatives in the Highlands spurred an almost continuous flow of newcomers until the
movement stopped by the Revolutionary War (Lefler & Powell, 1973). An examination of ships records shows that most Highlanders reported leaving Scotland because of high rents on their land and oppression or high rents & Better Encouragement (Graham, 1956).
The writers family was part of this mass exodus of the 1770s.
>>
>>77905961
>>77906299
*With land
>>
>>77906364
source?
>>
File: 1498618967025.png (1003KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1498618967025.png
1003KB, 1366x768px
>>77906364
the article I'm reading also says: After the War, the Whigs in North Carolina (anti-British) confiscated estates of Loyalists and many Scottish Highlanders migrated from North Carolina to Canada, Alabama, Georgia, and Texas (even though, as tensions lessened over the next generation, many Scots in Canada did make their way to the United States).

I'm wondering if maybe the land they are referring to might be connected somehow with what you were saying (i.e. British compensated them with land in NC)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.