[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you consider your ethnic group ambitious/mercantile/upwardly-focus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Would you consider your ethnic group ambitious/mercantile/upwardly-focused?

Vietnamese here. Yes. There's really no ethnic group in america or most places that are like us except maybe poor Jewish immigrants during WW2 times. We were all literally penniless refugees, literally the poorest group in the country, two decades ago and now richer than the average person here despite not getting affirmative action or other minority benefits.

Almost everyone in my parent's community owns or opens up businesses, even though they lack english skills. Uncle and a few relatives have started construction/engineering/etc. companies and went from near homeless to multi-millionaires. Money is literally the most important thing in our culture imo, to the point where the favorite past-time of everyone is gambling imo although this isn't really the reason since its probably closely-structured communities that share knowledge/resources/benefits.

tldr; yes, my ethnic group went from bottom 10% to top 30-40% within a generation.
>>
>>77841943
uh where you getting your info?

>> In 2000, the average annual income of Vietnamese Canadian adults was $23,000, compared to the Canadian average of $30,000.

>>At the same time, over one in three Canadian children of Vietnamese origin lives in low-income family. In 2000, 35% of children of Vietnamese origin under the age of 15 lived in families with incomes below the low-income cut-offs, compared with 19% of all children in Canada.
>>
>>77842208
this is the year 2000 though when we were still poor.

i'm also basing it off american data because most of us are american/based in america. i'm one of the rarer diaspora here but literally 80% of my extended family (15 blood uncle/aunts, 50+ cousins) is in america.
>>
>>77842397
Canada stopped collecting the ethnic income data. This is the only one available ever.

Do your statistics take into consideration that Vietnamese people usually have more people per household?
>>
>>77841943
Your story is descriptive of literally every large group of immigrants that ever came here. Except for the Chinese and the Mexicans.
Chinese and Mexicans never adapted because they just kept coming. You have to abandon your heritage in order to succeed.
>>
>>77842538
don't think so, but then again typical households are structured differently where both working adults are often the employees in whatever business they are in.

households don't really have room for like 3 parents or whatever, its usually just counted as 2 parents and dependent children in these data.
>>
>>77841943
>Vietnamese here. Yes. There's really no ethnic group in america or most places that are like us except maybe poor Jewish immigrants during WW2 times. We were all literally penniless refugees, literally the poorest group in the country, two decades ago and now richer than the average person here despite not getting affirmative action or other minority benefits.
Italians were like that.
>>
>>77842559
we've risen faster and usually better off than almost every recent ethnic group that didn't get here using H1B. probably best comparison is latin american immigrants, which are similar to us since both had less educated/less-skilled migrants.

most recent chinese or indian or whatever had a bachelor's before coming, which is totally different than us. they also do not have the same types of business networks/community structures.
>>
>>77841943
Flips are pretty ambitious and hard working. While it's anecdotal the one Vietnamese girl in my school was in the idiot classes and dressed like a nig-nog. Also, the Vietnamese guy I work with is loud and causes more problems than he solves.
>>
>>77842676
So were the Irish. And the Polish.
Every big immigration wave has been one of refugees.
>>77842701
You're forgetting to take the times into account. Widespread access to higher education is a recent, as in the past few decades kind of thing.
You can't attribute your own success to being literally gifted it by the government.
>>
>>77842676
yeah, but that was a while back ago.

italians use to do the same thing we do though, IE have big communities/family networks, take over/start businesses in specific industries and help your family/friends move-up.

i'd say that northern/western european and north american family and community mentality is pretty much not the norm since its way too individual and reliant on moving up through official institutions and so-on. whites here don't really have communities of like 200-300 people the same way alot of immigrants do.
>>
>>77842707
flips were literally moneyed immigrant, rare for them to immigrate without resources. the filipino recent immigrants here are way different from us and are content working for other people imo. not nearly as upward a group as we are.
>>77842855
yes but this is a century ago when things were quite different. to put it into perspective, we were refugees in the same vein that europe is now getting refugees or had turk/algerian/whatever immigrant groups they received.
>>
>>77841943
>ambitious
nah
>mercantile
yeah
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.