[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pre-Islamic Arabia (Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Jordan, Oman, UAE, Bahrain,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 11

File: Arabia.gif (204KB, 1000x738px) Image search: [Google]
Arabia.gif
204KB, 1000x738px
Pre-Islamic Arabia (Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Jordan, Oman, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar etc) is for some reasons very interesting. Especially pre-Islamic Arabian religion.
I want to travel there some day and want to ride a camel through the deserts, see what Lakhmids, Nabaeteans, Sabaeans, Himyarites and others left behind.
I'd like to see Ka'aba too.
>>
File: 3 Arabian goddesses.jpg (90KB, 500x424px) Image search: [Google]
3 Arabian goddesses.jpg
90KB, 500x424px
>>
>>77839645
>that hindu dot

uhm?
>>
>>77839510
Aside from Nabateans most are probably just Barbarian shits who sucks on either Roman or Persian cocks
>>
File: idol of al uzza.jpg (78KB, 400x597px) Image search: [Google]
idol of al uzza.jpg
78KB, 400x597px
>>77839687
it's a misinterpretation of her crown's jewel i suppose
>>
>>77839645
I've heard Al-Lat was actually a guy who used to hand out soup to prilgrims.
>>
File: 56-251856-torsten-matzak.jpg (39KB, 668x445px) Image search: [Google]
56-251856-torsten-matzak.jpg
39KB, 668x445px
There are some cool ruins from the same civilisation that built the Petra ruins in Jordan, they plan to open this all up for tourism soon cuz oil no longer satisfies their jewness
>>
>>77839786
wrong
their history is more ancient than you suppose. it dates back to Dilmun
>>77839806
Never heard of that but according to Kitab Al-Asnam, a Jew used to make bread beside her idol.
>>
>>77839907
>bread
not bread* i meant porridge
>>
File: F0D.jpg (7KB, 205x324px) Image search: [Google]
F0D.jpg
7KB, 205x324px
Good thread, I happened to be looking up a bit of ancient arab history today (and also made a commitment to finally learn Arabic)
>>
>>77840444
Are you Arabic?
>>
>>77840444
Where you originally from?
Are you the Russian?
>>
>>77840615

Is anyone in UAE an actual Arab?
>>
>>77840611
lol nope, which is why I don't speak Arabic

>>77840615
> Where are you from originally?
Take a wild guess

>>77840669
Plenty (mostly levantines), but Emiratis themselves only form 20% of the population, and in Dubai that figure's about 10%.
>>
>>77840669
I'm from Arab league. but my mother language and ethnicity is Kabyle.
30% or something of the population is from Arab league.
>>
>>77840727
South Asia.
>>
>>77839907
There's a reason why they're considered irrelevant prior to Islam
Pre Islamic ME region power chart:
Mesopotamians = Persians > Levantines > Anatolia > north Africa >>>>power gap>>>> Turd > Arabia = Ethiopia
>>
>>77840727
do emiratis still have the most economic and political power despite them being a demographic minority though? im curious to know
>>
>>77840855
>I know nothing about them
>Thus they're irrelevant
Okay lad.
>>
>>77840913
t.
Gulf Arab
>>
>>77840785
Yep

>>77840907
Absolutely. And in fact political power lies solely with the royal families, who run somewhat of a rentier state. In general, life is comfy for Emiratis, particularly in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

The government here is careful to restrict expats legal rights, and the exists in turn work here because of higher salaries. By and large they want to stay out of trouble.
>>
>>77840855
There where some pretty interesting kingdoms in Yemen including but not limited to the Himyarites and there's also the Lakhamites in the north.
>>
>>77839510
they had god tier poetry
>>
>>77841179
Yes Arabic poetry is good
Especially that half black warrior poet guy. Forgot his name.
>>
>>77841361
you understand arabic???
w8 look at this it's
ومدركل بالشنصلين تجوقلـت

عفص له بالفيلطوز العقصـل

ومدحشر بالحشرمين تحشرجت

شرنا فتـاه فخـر كالخربعطـل

والكيكذوب الهيكذوب تهيعهت

من روكة للقعلبـوط القعطـل

تدفق في البطحاء بعد تبهطـل

وقعقع في البيداء غير مزركلِ

وسار بأركان العقيش مقرنصاً

وهام بكل القارطـات بشنكـلِ

يقول وما بال البحاط مقرطمـاً

ويسعى دواماً بين هك وهنكـلِ

إذا أقبل البعراط طـاح بهمـةٍ

وإن أقرط المحطوش ناء بكلكلِ

يكاد على فرط الحطيف يبقبق

ويضرب ما بين الهماط وكندلِ

فيا أيها البغقوش لست بقاعـد

ولا أنت في كل البحيص بطنبل
>>
>>77841396
No i don't only read some translations.
>>
>>77839907
I just skimmed through the section of Al-Lat in Kitab Al-Ansam (I don't speak Arabic well) in it, it mentions that she was a "squared statue made of rock located in Taa'if". I don't think it mentioned anything about the man handing out food. Perhaps it was mentioned in another book. I recall hearing that each Arab tribe used to have its own idol, Hubal was the main idol of Quraysh and I believe that Al-Lat was that of Banu Thaqif.
>>77841361
who?
>>
>>77841423
>who?
Antarah ibn Shaddad
>>
>>77841423
I googled it and i was right. There was a jew who made porridge beside her. Maybe the name "lat" even came from there.
http://answering-islam.org/Books/Al-Kalbi/allat.htm
>>
Is it true that pre islamic arabs had a moon god with several smaller gods which were destroyed my Mohammed when he took mecca and removed all the idols except for the space rock
>>
>>77841179
This tbqh
While yuros were drowning in their shit and dying from the plague, the arabas were producing god tier literature.
>>
>>77841654
Arabs had lots of gods. Their chief gods were also different. For example, the tribe which lived in Dumat al-Jandal had a chief god called Wadd, god of water. Wadd was also venerated by other Arabs but most Arabs had different chief gods based on logic. Dumat al-Jandal's chief god was a water god because Dumal al-Jandal was a city in the middle of a desert which was founded next to a big lake. Without that lake that city would not exist. Bedouin tribes usually worshipped moon god(s) as their chief god because of the fact that they were nomadic, deserts are pretty hot places but when the sun sets down and the moon appears in the sky the arabian desert suddenly becomes a better place (20 C) so bedouins thought that the sun god was a merciless god where as the moon god was a merciful one who liked bedouins. The Arabs of Yemen were sedentary so they usually worshipped sun/fertility gods as main gods (Almaqah for example) because Sun provided them crops.
>>
>>77841822
What was yemen like before islam
>>
>>77841875
Immediately before Islamic armies reached Yemen, Yemen was a battle field. Yemen was a Jewish state since 200 AD or 100 AD afair, Ethiopians invaded yemen in 6th century because Jewish Yemenites massacred some Christian Byzantine/Ethiopian merchants here due to the fact that Christians don't treat Jews well, Ethiopians initially were successful against Yemenite Jews but then a Jewish warlord called Dhu Nuwas appeared and started to win agaisnt Ethiopians, a lot of Christian Arabs and Ethiopians and Byzantines were genocided by Jews in there. When the situation became unbearable Jews asked help from Zoroastrian Persia and became vassals of Persians.
>>
>>77841654
I don't think they had a moon god - there might have been one. They had an idol called "Al-shams" which literally means "sun". A sub tribe of Quraysh (Banu Abd Al-Shams) are said to have been named after it. The largest idol (probably the one you're referring to) there was Hubal. I think there were around 360 others. Each tribe had another idol near the ka'ba as well. The rock was never considered an idol by the arabs. It was sacred and held great importance but I've never seen it refered to as an object of worship.
>>
>>77842007
Before than that, Yemen was a rich state. Because of frankincense and myrrh trade and trade routes, it became an extraordinarily rich place. Some Roman historian also complained about how Arabs had too much money in their "arab hands" (i'll post the source if i find). Frankincense and myrrh was used by Romans a lot from religious duties to medical stuff. After the conversion of Rome to Christianity, frankincense and myrrh trade declined before Christians thought burning frankincense was a pagan stuff and banned it. It was used in medical treatments though but Arabs didn't get money from the trade than they did in the past.
>>
>>77842243
There were more than 2-3 moon gods. One of them was Ta'lab and other was Hubal. Hubal could be an Arabic version of Ba'al.
>>
>>77842361
Really? Sauce? I've never actually heard anything special about hubal other than that he was the chief idol of quraysh.
>>
>>77842623
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%27lab
>>
>>77842761
I did look up ta'lab but I meant hubal. Nothing special seems to have been mentioned about him aside from that one story of how he was introduced to arabia.
>>
>>77842840
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubal
Wiki also says there could be a connection between Baal and Hubal
>>
>>77839510
My family is from Yemen.
Apparently there are hundreds of ancient ruins scattered all around Yemen that nobody is allowed to go near due to cultural superstitions/fear of the dead.

This is partly why much of pre Islamic history in Arabia is very unknown.
>>
File: 1447962850621-0.png (961B, 108x114px) Image search: [Google]
1447962850621-0.png
961B, 108x114px
>>77839793
>>
>>77843570
>This is partly why much of pre Islamic history in Arabia is very unknown.
nah. there's little text written about arabs themselves before islam.
>>
>>77843795
Yeah but you can't learn the full story from texts alone.

The number one important evidence are ruins, sites, and structures.
>>
>>77842990
I see. There exist but a few speculation of whether hubal was considered a lunar deity by the ancient Arabs, it is never refered to as such by them. There exists an islamic tradition - that is not considered authentic but still mentioned by some Arab historians, that Amr Ibn Luhayy brought it back with him from a trip to Assyria. This is might be were the theory that he is connected to nabatean mythology and thus where the moon deity comes in. However there are no records of it being refered to as such and given it was one of the more famous ones it would have made sense to that it's position be more well known. There are quite a few other ones found in southern arabia that originate from the levant. Maybe its moon status lost relevancy over the course of hundreds of years.
>>
>>77844024
texts are also important. too bad literate arabs didn't bother to write down their own history. maybe they did but papers got lost in the desert, who knows.
>>
>>77844064
Literacy was actually not only rare but for a long time even those who were literate weren't very good at it. They prefered recording important events with poetry. From those poems we can gather a lot of infomartion about their lives and tradition but I guess poems can be considered text given that they were eventually written down.
>>
>>77844216
Come to think of it poems might actually have been for the better. Written text might desolve or wear out over time.
>>
>>77844024
Nah, if you're really relevant, you won't even have to write about yourself, other people will talk about you
I mean nobody even knew the exact location of Troy (who're probably Hittites or Ionian Anatolian), until late 19th century yet people have been writing and larping as them since literally the dawn of time
>>
>>77844064
>too bad literate arabs didn't bother to write down their own history. maybe they did but papers got lost in the desert, who knows.

Muhammad and his companions notoriously destroyed anything associated with pre-Islamic history and religion be it books, buildings or temples. For the exact reason that much of Islam was just plagiarised from Semitic pagan and Jewish tradition.
>>
File: pre-islamic-arabia-3-728.jpg (62KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
pre-islamic-arabia-3-728.jpg
62KB, 728x546px
>>77844383
The surviving ones (except Nabateans, as I previously said) looks like shit, literally nothing was lost
>>
>>77844845
Maybe that's because anything decent was destroyed, and shit like that was left on purpose to bolster their agenda: "Look at the pagans work, look how poor it is, surely the pagans were a wrongdoing people, just look how great everything is under Islam now!"
>>
>>77844383
>>77844917
>muh ebil islam
pls
>>
>>77844064
nah arabic was not written only oral till 200 or 300 years old after prophet death
arabs used to have very strong memory
>>
>>77845073
>nah arabic was not written
explain muhammad's letters, quran, poems hanged on ka'bah
>>
>>77844383
The only thing I've read about that they did was destroying all/most of the idols after entering mecca. The building itself was spared due to its abrahamic importance according to islamic tradition.
>>
>>77845137
Arabs demolished all idols throughout arabia and pagan temples. that's all though.
>>
>>77845073
Not true. There are written poems dated centuries before the Quran.
>>
>>77845108
See >>77844216. It was written but oral tradition was preffered.
>>
>>77845066
>implying Muhammad and his companions didn't literally destroy everything in Medina and Mecca

It's literally well documented that Muhammad commanded every muslim at the time to destroy every trace of the old pagan gods and everything associated with them as they posed a "great threat" to Islam. Denying this is pointless, Emir.
>>
>>77845195
so
>>77845190
I know but written arabic did exist before Muhammad.
>>
File: luxor.jpg (198KB, 810x539px) Image search: [Google]
luxor.jpg
198KB, 810x539px
>>77844917
Except thats not the case anywhere else
Just drop it gulfie
>>
>>77845177
And all the historical/theological literature associated with it.
>>
>>77845195

See>>77845137
>>77845177

>implying there is anything wrong with this
>>
>>77845256
ok
>>
>>77845236
Yes no doubt about that I meant it was just not common. Looking at your posts I see I've misread what tunisanon said.
>>
File: IMG_1584.jpg (267KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1584.jpg
267KB, 600x750px
Lots of cool Arab ruins in the Levant.

btw I personally think Phoenicians and Akkadians were Arab
>>
>>77845250
Muhammad was dead by the time of the Muslim conquest of Egypt, and by that time Islam had gained enough momentum that they didn't need to wipe out traces of old religions, never mind ones that weren't in anyway similar to Islam.

>>77845272
They destroyed traces of the old Arabian Semitic pagan culture and religion to hide the fact that Islam is basically just a slightly modified version of it, building upon it with Abrahamic monotheism, that's it. This was, of course, done on purpose, to make Islam more palatable to new converts (just like the Romans allowed people to incorporate their pagan traditions into Christianity to encourage conversion).
>>
>>77845400
Not Arab. But Semitic.
>>
>>77845400
Levant =/= Arabia
>>77845411
Another shit excuse
According to your post, if they're similar to Islam, it probably means their temples are just literal cube surrounded by statues, in which case nothing was lost
There's nothing there because there's literally nothing was there

Records from their neighbours has always said that they're all bunch of small villagers or nomad barbarians, are never relevant or pose threat to their surroundings, continuously switching between sucking Mesopotamians, Romans, or Persian cocks, and sometimes even Ethiopian ones
>>
>>77845818
Arabs never sucked "cock" actually. Bedouins were literally free men who could not be conquered by anyone in the region, nomadic arabs also had a different monarchy system, their rulers were not powerful in terms of authority. They just lurked around where the deserts are.
Not even talking about how Tanukhids constantly btfo'd Romans and how Arabs defeated Persians once.
>>
>>77845818
I'm not arguing that they had some fantastic advanced civilisation, what I'm arguing that Islam is nothing but a rip off of Semitic Arabian paganism mixed with Judaism and Christianity, and that's why they destroyed everything.
>>
>>77845437
aren't arabs semites though?
>>
>>77845437
They were ancient Arabs.

You can't compare modern Arab identity to back then.
Islam virtually shaped the Arab identity itself.
>>
>>77846623
>>77846989
By that logic, Jews are Arabs
>>
>>77845898
You cant base your claim on the idea that Judaism and Christianity have any more authority over Islam. Yes, they are all abrahamic faiths and share alot in common but to provide more credence and legitimacy to its predecessors by saying it is just a copy of those is abit disengenous. Islam is its own monotheistic religion founded in a very primitive and harsh pagan desert society. It should be treated as such and not as some illegitimate and unauthoritative mix of "semetic paganism, christianity and judaism. Be fair.
>>
>>77847252
But that's what it is. All the rituals and fundamental elements of Islam are either from paganism (i.e. Ramadan), or from contemporary Judaism which was the second most common religion in the region (i.e. absolute monotheism).
>>
>>77845898
They viewed it as an alteration of what they considered "the original religion of Abraham", a belief held by others even in pre-Islamic times. There are Islamic traditions that mentions the things they had in common with pagan Arabs such as circumcision, pilgrimage, bathing after intercourse etc.
>>
File: bored pepe.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
bored pepe.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>77846989
read a book
>>
>>77847245
Why not?
Ever seen a Mizrahi Jew?
>>
>>77847744
>>77847744
Look up the origins of the Phoenicians, buddy.

It's quite plausible they came from Yemen or Bahrain. Especially when you look at Old South Arabian alphabet and the Phoenician
>>
>>77847802
Again, read a book.
They were Semitic, not Arab. it's like saying Swedes are actually Austrian.
>>
>>77847826
No it isn't since the Arab identity is largely a linguistic and religious one.

I'm talking about pre-Islamic Semites that roamed Arabia and the Levant.

There was no disconnect. The civilizations in the Levant are the product of those in the peninsula who migrated north.
>>
>>77847908
Semitic=/=Arab
Arab=Semitic
Semitics: Arabs, Arameans, Levantines, Egyptians, Mesopotamians etc
Arab literally meant bedouin or sedentary people that lived in Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Bahrain/UAE/Qatar etc. Arab also meant arabic speaking nomads in Roman Empire and Persian Empire.
>>
>>77847950
How many times are you gonna say
Arab=/=Semitic

I know the difference you cunt.

Now either make an argument/present evidence or GTFO
>>
>>77847977
Am i being trolled or is this the power of American education?
Arabs are a semitic people. But not all semitics are Arab.
>GTFO
this is my thread. you fuck off.
>>
>>77847908
All humans came from Africa anon whats your point?
>>77847760
Thats stupid
>>
>>77848024
>Thats stupid
Why?
Mizrahi Jews are infinitely more Jewish than the European "jews" that have been cucking England and the rest of Europe for centuries.

>All humans came from Africa anon whats your point?

Alright, can you pinpoint an ethno-linguistic connection between prehistoric Kenyans and Phoenicians?

If we're gonna go back that far might as well say all humans draw their lineage to the fucking single-celled organisms that dwelled in the watery furnaces billions of years ago, and call it a day.

>>77847997
When did I claim all Semites are Arab?
>>
>>77847300
It's religion of Tauheed.
>QS 2:65-66 O People of the Scripture, why do you argue about Abraham while the Torah and the Gospel were not revealed until after him? Then will you not reason? Here you are - those who have argued about that of which you have [some] knowledge, but why do you argue about that of which you have no knowledge? And Allah knows, while you know not.
>QS 3:67-69 Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but he was one inclining toward truth, a Muslim [submitting to Allah ]. And he was not of the polytheists. Indeed, the most worthy of Abraham among the people are those who followed him [in submission to Allah ] and this prophet, and those who believe [in his message]. And Allah is the ally of the believers. A faction of the people of the Scripture wish they could mislead you. But they do not mislead except themselves, and they perceive [it] not.
>QS 3:84-89 Say, "We have believed in Allah and in what was revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Descendants, and in what was given to Moses and Jesus and to the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and we are Muslims [submitting] to Him." And whoever desires other than Islam as religion - never will it be accepted from him, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers. How shall Allah guide a people who disbelieved after their belief and had witnessed that the Messenger is true and clear signs had come to them? And Allah does not guide the wrongdoing people. Those - their recompense will be that upon them is the curse of Allah and the angels and the people, all together, Abiding eternally therein. The punishment will not be lightened for them, nor will they be reprieved. Except for those who repent after that and correct themselves. For indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.
>>
>>77848085
yup it seems i was being trolled
>>
>>77847760
Not all indo-europeans are the same, the same way not all semitic people are the same.
>>
>>77841396
>Ibn Fa'r
Isn't this just bad forgery? It does sound very melodic, though, very Arabesque.
>>
>>77848168
Dude.
Mizrahi Jews are literally Arab in every single way except for the fact that they are Jewish.

As a matter of fact before Israel thing came along, they were almost ideally integrated into their communities.
>>
>>77842007
>you will never march on Mecca with your army of war elephants, trample the Ka'aba, and prevent Islam from ever happening
>>
>>77847300
See now thats what I'm talking about, of course its going to have similarities especially to other abrahamic religions since it claims to receive revelation from the same God. There were customs such as the ramadan that bare resemblance to the pre-islamic practices but then again you have to understand why they would be included. According to islamic tradition, the original religion of the arabs was monotheism going back to abraham.
Somewhere down the line it was corrupted (some classical scholars pinpointed it to a figure by the name of amr ibn luhayy) with idols being introduced and used as intercessors as well as being provided with divine attributes or as sub gods or offspring of god. The arabs were very well aware of this yet chose to continue on with jahilliyah (ignorance). Therefore when prophet muhammad came to the arabs he came with the message of abolishing pagan worship while reaffirming the original creed of abraham and the arabs. Practices such as ramadan and the hajj were realigned with their original abrahamic purposes since they were known to predate arab paganism.
>>
Southeast Semites (Bathari, Harsusi, Mehri, al-Shehri, Soqotri)
Ṣayhadic Semites (Sabaeans, Sabaeans, Ḥashidites, Ṣirwāḥites, Humlanites, Humlanites,
Ghaymānites, Radmānites, Minaeans, Qatabanians, Hadhrami, Aswanites, Razihi)
East Semites (Mesopotamians, Eblaites)
Northwest Semites (Arameans, Amirites, Canaanites)
Canaanites (Ugarites, Phoenicians, Hebrews)
>>
>>77848628
They look black/Indian
>>
>>77847300
>All the rituals and fundamental elements of Islam are either from paganism (i.e. Ramadan), or from contemporary Judaism
That's because the divisions of paganism and Arbrahamism are meaningless terms which AT BEST are useful to categorize certain historical actors.
>>
>tfw all the interesting ethnicities, religions, cultures, and etc are being massacred right now or disappearing
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.