[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask an Americunt staying in a village in rural Tanzania anything.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: pics.jpg (377KB, 1788x960px) Image search: [Google]
pics.jpg
377KB, 1788x960px
Ask an Americunt staying in a village in rural Tanzania anything.

Thread continued from last night. Got a bunch of great replies, plus some /b/-tier trolling from a lonely Kraut.

I also lived in New Delhi for a year and a half, hitchhiked across Europe when I was 20, traveled Iraq, and got pegged by rubber bullets during the Gezi Park protests.

Will disregard and report rubbish questions and trolls.

Last thread for another couple weeks.

Pic related is from last night's thread - edited picture of my visa showing entry to Tanzania last week, plus cell phone with Zantel service and Swahili cigarette packet. Took a timestamped picture at the beach earlier, too, plus one in the dark outside the house.
>>
>>77762998
Trusting third worlders. This will mean your dead sometime.
>>
>>77762998
Have you ever gone to Zanzibar? If so, how it was like?
>>
I assume that globalisation hasn't reached the locals quite yet and thus they don't speak a lick of English. How do you communicate with them? Is there a translator?
>>
>>77763254

I'm staying in central Zanzibar right now.

While I've not spent particularly much time on the mainland, I'm lodging with a friend who has been here for two years. From what I've been told, the culture here is drastically different from that in Dar Es Salaam and farther inland.

Zanzibar is largely Muslim and quite conservative, although doesn't have the same radical influences found in the broader parts of the Middle-East and South Asia I've visited.

The youth here tend to have little interest in receiving an education, and most have never even visited Stone Town or the coast. Everything is ridiculously cheap - aside from days when I grab a beer, I tend not to spend more than $2 or $3 for food, Coca-Cola, and assorted garbage snacks. Spending $2.5 on Pringles was a big purchase.

Villagers are deathly afraid of both wizards and Freemasons, which I've found pretty funny.
>>
>>77763274

I'm staying with a friend who has been here for two years and is fluent in Swahili.

He gave me a couple school-books to study and learn over the next couple days. Most of my interaction with the villagers has been facilitated through him.

English is next to non-existent, even though all education in Zanzibar is taught in English from their equivalent of the sixth grade (ages 11+) and onward. A few people can speak some phrases, but only two or three kids in the whole village can communicate beyond, "Hello, how are you? I am fine!" and so forth.

No pizza, potato chips, and so forth here.
>>
>>77762998
How many BBC did you take so far?
>>
>>77763398
Sounds great to me.
>>
>>77763712

It's an interesting place, for sure.

I'm not sure whether I'll spend the full two months here I'd originally budgeted, but I think the experience will have been worthwhile nevertheless.

I've traveled lots before, but this is my first time staying in a proper village in a developing or under-developed country.
>>
>>77762998
This >>77734334
>>
>>77762998
How do you budget these kinds of world travelling adventures?

Do you also work abroad to fund, or is it mostly savings?
>>
>>77764412

Yeah, that's me.

We broke just over three years ago. I had another girlfriend from 2014 until 2016 and have been single since August of last year.

All good otherwise. Going back to India for a month or so in October, although I'll be traveling with a friend for a change. Not sure exactly what our plan is.

Probably not doing India next year. I want to take Spanish classes in Mexico and motorbike down to Panama before starting my last semester at university.

How about you?
>>
>>77764542

When I was younger, I worked a couple of part-time jobs while attending university.

I had a well-paid office gig for a while, too. My income was variable, but it was more than enough to take me to a handful of places in Latin America as well as India twice.

Now I mostly do freelance writing. I don't make a ton of money - between $1,000 and $2,000 per month - but it's more than enough to get by here in Tanzania, Mexico, or most other places outside of Western/Central Europe and East Asia.

Hoping to get those numbers up to $3-4k by the time I graduate, after which I might live abroad while doing a master's program online.
>>
>>77764582
Man I'm still jelly of your lifestyle. So did you give up your plan to practice medicine in some Indian hospital?
I'm good. Hauz Khas is the new GB road now, with traps and black women waiting for customers around Aurobindo Market.
Getting bored of Delhi desu. Might move out soon.
>>
>>77764888

When did that happen?

I was last in Delhi from about August of 2016 until the first of December, and I don't remember seeing anything too dodgy around Aurobindo Market.

Worst that happened is a girl I met off Tinder started vomiting in the bushes next to some club before trying to climb on top of my bike.

And yeah, I think I have. I'd like to spend a bit more time in Latin America. I like India, but the staring and constant, attempted scams get old after a while. I was in Mexico for most of July and part of June and really enjoyed being treated with an ordinary kindness while not being made to feel like a Martian.

What part of Delhi are you in now? Where would you move to?
>>
>>77765025
>when did that happen?
It's been going on for a while now. But it's the prostitutes are more bold nowadays. Pretty sure the Hauz Khas police station gets it cut from the business. You'll find them on the weekends after 10-10:30 till 2-3. And not particularly Aurobindo Market itself but the main road from Green Park metro to the market.

>What part of Delhi are you in now?
Malviye Nagar

>Where would you move to?
Out of Delhi for sure. Maybe Rajasthan or Himachal.
>>
>>77765348

Huh.

I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if the local police are taking a cut out of the business. I've never noticed prostitutes in the area before, but I'm not into that sort of thing anyway.

What would you do in Himachal?

And Malviya is an alright place. I used to get my laundry done at a place near one of the schools in Khirki Extension.

Amazing how one of the few laundromats in Delhi won't even let customers manage their own clothes. Oh well - still better to get my laundry back in two hours than waiting two days for a laundry-man to do it all by hand.
>>
>>77766279
>what would you do in Himachal?
Have a friend in Old Manali who owns a guest house. Might go help him out for a bit just for a change.
Anyway I'm hijacking and derailing your thread. Enjoy your travels.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.