[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here ever actually taught English in a foreign country?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: MaleMathTeacher.jpg (133KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
MaleMathTeacher.jpg
133KB, 630x420px
Has anyone here ever actually taught English in a foreign country? What's it like? Is the pay good? I want to try it in South Korea once I finish my bachelor's degree.
>>
File: baby.jpg (24KB, 420x441px) Image search: [Google]
baby.jpg
24KB, 420x441px
Nobody here knows, or not willing to tell what it was really like. I suppose.
>>
>>77677736
South Korea has the EPIK programme, or similar ones like it.

On average, wage is around $15000 a year, with your apartment paid for; but internet utillities are on your own cost; but they are cheap as fuck.
Cost of living, is also really cheap... at least compared to a UK citizen like myself.

Normally, there is a 10 day prep course in Seoul...

once you've done that, you will get your airfare paid back ( single ticket only ), and a welcome payment of around $500.

Once you've finished a 12 month contract, you will get the cost of your flight home paid, and a 1 month salary bonus payment.
>>
>>77678497
I should also say, that I was placed down near Seocheon; lovely people, and decent links to Seoul if you want to stay there for the weekend and drink and party.

In the Spring and Summer, it's Green and stunning countryside.... during the winter/Fall; coupled with how most buildings seem to be grey concrete blocks... it can look miserable and depressing as hell.

Again, Koreans are cool people and you make a genuine friend with them, they are lifelong buds.
And the ladies are lovely too...

Proselatising Christian Koreans can be a bit annoying however... but they are generally respectful.

I taught in Korea and Japan.... if you can get onto one of the government programmes like EPIK; i'd choose that over any provate school in Japan, or Korea.

Last advice, Koreans love to haggle.... but they will increase the price on stuff for foreigners if they see you show interest. I would walk past an item or store i'm not interested in, and slyly check the price sticker.....so when I show interest later, if I see the price is higher, I ask why it's increased since I last saw it... If they laugh, and restore original price, then I haggle...

If they try to bluster bullshit, with them a good day and leave... normally, they will shout after you and make better offers.. then it's back to haggle. :D

They don't do this from malice or anything, they just think, Westerner = rich = Profit.
>>
>>77678809
>>77678497
How hard would it be to become a citizen and find a different job after teaching? I'm getting a STEM degree, and I want to get the fuck out of the USA.
>>
>>77679041
Not likely at all. Unless you have some other skill you can market, I know Japan looks down on JET participants becoming citizens.
>>
>>77679041
>How hard would it be to become a citizen and find a different job after teaching? I'm getting a STEM degree, and I want to get the fuck out of the USA.

Literally why? Working condition in here is shit as fuck and pay is also lower than in America unless you are some Samsung slave. Don't even try to bother; Just stay there.
>>
>>77679041
In Korea, not sure... I never looked into that aspect.
But a Stem degree, should do you pretty well anywhere.

You need a degree just to be considered for teaching in Korea anyway.

In Japan, you don't need to be a citizen, you just need to find a wife/husband, and get a spouse VISA; and you're free to work anywhere, providing you can speak the language.
>>
>>77679041
You can work in the Netherlands if *gasp* the employer couldn't find a Dutch person to do the job in the last 3 months.
But they probably want you to speak Dutch. Which you can be fluent in in 8 months.

But then again, we're not Japan or Korea.
>>
>>77678497
>$15000 a year
Yikes. I suppose one doesn't do those programs for the money anyways, though.
>>
>>77679304
I had a Dutch girlfriend when I lived in Spain.
Amazing girl, loved Anal Sex. .

Had a very positive view of Dutch ladies ever since.
>>
>>77679489
Nope, but you are saving money on apartment rent costs.

And, I never ate at home; it was cheaper to go a local resteraunt and have a 3 course meal freshly cooked there.

Internet is 100meg downloads for like $30 dollers or so a month.
>>
>>77679149
>Working condition in here is shit as fuck and pay is also lower than in America
Yeah, that's what I've heard. I don't know, I just really don't like it here in the US.
Is it hard to start a business in South Korea? I've always wanted to start my own company.
>>
I have heard that Vietnam is a great place to do it if you want something less up tight compared to what you find in East Asia
>>
>>77679725
>Start a business in South Korea
>Samsung or their rivals perceives you
>They just launch another conglomerate company that will kill you and your business
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.