[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are modern architects allowed to get away with their crimes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: Pancras.jpg (334KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Pancras.jpg
334KB, 1600x1200px
Why are modern architects allowed to get away with their crimes? How can a train station be so much better than anything built in the last 100 years.
>>
you cant build this shit anymore
>>
But who's entitled to defining modern/post-modern architecture? Nobody has a monopoly on that
>>
>>77587894
What did he mean by this
>>
the function is the same
so the architect asked what are all those pointy bits for if they don't do anything other than feel pride in some empty facade
>>
>>77587936

What's the point in life if not to enjoy it whilst we are here? Those spires give as an image of the divine.
>>
>>77587857
Any pictures of what it's being replaced with?

I haven't decided how mad I am yet
>>
>>77587974
the exact reason they stopped
the divine who resided in those things didn't stop ww1
>>
>>77587995
That's St Pancras station. It's still intact, I saw it myself last year. It's a grade I listed building so it's not going anywhere.
>>
>>77587995

It's not being replaced, it's a protected building, I was just using it as an example compared to modern buildings
>>
>>77588012
literal autism, they should all hang
>>
You know, I'm wondering why we don't build more Georgian architecture. It's very simple compared to Victorian stone architecture so they can't use the "i-i-it's too hard to build!!!!!1" argument. All you need is bricks and window frames. It's far better looking than modernist shite too. Is it because rich cunts want to keep it to themselves?
>>
>>77587857
Tastes changed as have business practices. Profits need to be far higher for anything to be built than was once the case, and so they go for more minimal design.
>>
>>77587857
Am I the only one here who doesn't conpletely hate modern architecture? I mean of course any modern building will look shit if it's built in a historic area just because of how much it clashes with its surroundings, but cities which have a consistent modern style thoroughout look great (provided they aren't full of ugly parking lots and highways like American cities)
>>
>>77588172
*completely
>>
>>77588172
Nah I prefer historic but there are a few modern buildings I like. Pic rel
>>
>>77587857
Live 2 minutes away from there

Rather lovely building desu hotel is also very nice inside
>>
>>77588101

So we are just a phallic society? Whoever constructs the tallest building wins?
>>
File: a32 de Brasilia.jpg (44KB, 632x424px) Image search: [Google]
a32 de Brasilia.jpg
44KB, 632x424px
>>77587857
Shit opinion
>>
>>77588073
There's a lot of Georgian architecture here in Newcastle, especially around Grainger and the Old Town. It's astonishing that so much of it still exists, they're constantly trying to break up the shopping level for space.
I never realised how lucky we were until I got older and travelled and saw how it really isn't that common to have a city centre with one cohesive style like that.
>>
>>77588263
You women can have subways and tunnels for your vaginas
>>
File: london buttplug.jpg (108KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
london buttplug.jpg
108KB, 700x467px
>>77587930
clearly he meant this
you will understand once you sober up from the 15 pints of magners
>>
>>77588172
It looks good in cities like Chicago, where there aren't really any historical buildings because they all burned down, but when they're in cities with an established base of historical buildings (ie anywhere in Western Europe pretty much) it looks godawful.
>>
File: 1490750858638.png (55KB, 852x1256px) Image search: [Google]
1490750858638.png
55KB, 852x1256px
>>77588411
>generic commieblock office buildings being mass-constructed in a 2000 year old city
>>
>>77588449
I hate London but the economics and logistics of office space will always work out that way. You can't set a serious building down for a business that may not even be there by next year.
>>
>>77588311
Yeah I've looked around Newcastle a few times on streetview, it looks lovely. You definitely don't see the buildings there in other major cities in England. I live near to Leeds, has a lot of historic and modern architecture but while most of the buildings there are fine the style feels inconsistent overall.
>>
>>77588172
Hating modern architecture is a meme.
>>
>>77588527
not disliking it is
it's a symbol for our mindless strive to be as efficient as possible by stripping life from things.
>>
>>77588579
Life is overrated,
>>
File: 29022.jpg (321KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
29022.jpg
321KB, 1024x683px
>>77588527

I couldn't not stand a city made of such buildings like this
>>
>>77588644

Could not*
>>
>>77588523
I think it's that we never really took much of a beating from the bombings and we were just too irrelevant and poor to be targeted by the brutalist fad that swept England in the 60s. Don't get me wrong there's some god awful urban blight here but for us it's the city centre that's nice and fancy while the the outer residential towns are what's suffered.
>>
>>77588527
contemporary architecture, modern or post modern, is complete shit. its godless, its styleless, its without identity, its boring, it refuses to die, it means nothing, it is pretentious when it doesnt need to, it adopts the aesthetics of contemproary paitning (aka anything is art)
its not a meme, i hope it would be. because architecture schools wont stop with the fagotry
>>
>>77588644
I legitimately like the building on the left, it's interesting and somewhat unique unlike the tryhard and memeworthy building on the right
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.