[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spanish speakers, How do you know when to stop calling someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: tu-usted-370x297[1].jpg (26KB, 370x297px) Image search: [Google]
tu-usted-370x297[1].jpg
26KB, 370x297px
Spanish speakers,

How do you know when to stop calling someone usted and start using tú instead? Are there ever situations when people get mad because you aren't being formal enough with them?
>>
>>77575963
in european spanish is easy, you say tú to everybody except in very rare situations, like speaking to a very old person that cares about "muh formality"

i'd also say when speaking to someone ultraimportant you don't have a relationship with (like a super boss) but even in that case most say tú and fuck it

latams, in the other side, use "usted" a lot. i don't know if they have a case system for it or it's just depending on their mood
>>
>>77575963
varies a lot
i think at places in S.A. usted is the norm and not reserved for formal interactions
>>
>>77575963

using usted means you want formality and a barrier between both, if someone uses it constantly while talking to you he/she obviously isn't going out for a beer with you after work.
>>
>>77576110
t. millennial who won't ever address a waiter with "usted"

OP, in general, you should never address younger people than you with "usted", and you should never address old people with "tú". You're a foreigner, so natives won't be offended if you use the "wrong" pronoun. They may tell you to use "tú" at some point and then you're set.
>>
>>77576110
>latams, in the other side, use "usted" a lot
Only Colombians do.
>>77575963
>Tú
Informal, used with pretty much everybody, particularly with friends.

>Usted
Formal. Used when you want to treat someone respectfully, usually used only with old people, your boss, and it used to be used when talking to your parents, but not anymore.

>Are there situations when people get mad because you aren't being formal enough
No, but it kind of feels awkward when it happens
>>
>>77576285
Also this >>77576284
>never address younger people than you with "usted", and you should never address old people with "tú"
>>
>>77575963
When someone calls you "usted", you know you are old as fuck.
>>
>>77576284
t. andaluciano

here everybody uses tú in every possible situation
>>
>>77576439
delete this
>>
>>77576284
>>77576285
These are the right choices OP. It all pretty much boils down to this.
Is the person in a different age group than you? i.e. you're 22 and he or she is 32, then you use usted
Does the person have a higher position than you? For example the principal at school or your teachers, then you use usted
It also applies to places you're not familiar with like the post office, if you go there and there's a woman there or the manager then you use usted.
You can use tu for pretty much everything else.
>>
does Spanish has something equivalent to sir/madam? If yes, is it socially acceptable to use instead of usted?
>>
>>77576495
Why Manolo?
>>
>>77576641
"señor"
sounds out of place as fuck, like a 19th century high class meeting
>>
>>77576641
We use "señor" for sir and "señora" for madam. And yes it is acceptable. There's also "don" and "doña" but they're used differently, they're a tad less formal but still polite to use, usually used with elders that you're familiar with like your wife's parents or an old man/woman that is acquaintance of you or your family.
>>
>>77575963
I never use a pronoun different to "usted", even to refer to my pet birds. I dislike "tú" simply because it sounds gay.

But, to answer your question
>How do you know when to stop calling someone usted and start using tú instead?
Use it indiscriminately when talking to a stranger of your own age or similar; when you think you have become familiar with someone.

"Usted" is used only when you want or are required to show respect to someone else, particularly to your superiors at work or someone older than you.
>>
>>77576950
Colombian spanish is weird. "oiga usted, como así?"
>>
>>77576950
But, some people may ask you to refer to them in different terms depending on the type of relationship you have.
>>
>>77576950
I forgot how you niggers use the fuck out of usted. That's why I can't stand listening to Colombians.
>>
>>77576676
It makes me insecure that some people call me "usted" since I'm shitposting on /int/.
>>
>>77577013
People here don't use pronouns consistently.

There are parts in which only "usted" is used, like where I live. There are parts that use only or mainly "tu" like it happens across the Atlantic coast. There are people who mainly use "vos" instead of "tu" besides "usted", like people from Antioquia and Valle (but I've heard that people in Antioquia use the three). There are people who use "tu" and "usted", like in the Capital.
>>
>>77575963
>Are there ever situations when people get mad because you aren't being formal enough with them?
yes, when they're senior total strangers (young people would not mind it)

>>77576285
>Only Colombians do
and Costarricans
which is their whole shtick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AK6YDGjD04
>>
>>77577085
The opposite goes for me.

I cannot stand you or many others for using "tu". It sounds disgusting in my ears.
>>
>>77576284
Correct.

>>77576110
Wrong.
>>
>>77575963
>Are there ever situations when people get mad because you aren't being formal enough with them?
No, but some 40 somethings unironically get pissed about people using usted with them because it reminds them they're getting old.
>>
>>77577518
delete this
>>
I feel like eating out a booty de hot señorita.
>>
>>77576284
What if I'm older but a piece of trash and they have their shit together
>>
>>77576480
Asi normal que no tengais trabajo
>>
>>77577747
We can arrange a switch.
>>
>>77576480
No
>>
>>77576110
We use in the same way as Spain, "usted" is super formal for old people in most cases.
>>
Just use the term "usía".
>>
>>77576284
>>77576285
This.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.