[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't you dumb bongshits just give them Westminster

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png (31KB, 1280x674px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
31KB, 1280x674px
Why didn't you dumb bongshits just give them Westminster representation? Imagine what could have been...
>>
Ever tried holding a parliament across an ocean that took three months to navigate?
>>
File: 1491622376193.jpg (20KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1491622376193.jpg
20KB, 480x480px
>>77461761
>yet you still felt you had a right to tax us

I don't understand your logic
>>
>>77461791
In 1765, the average amount of tax paid by someone in Great Britain itself was 312 pence (26 shillings) per year.

In Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and New York, the average tax was 12 pence per year, or 4% of the amount paid by people in Britain. People in Virginia only paid 5 pence, or less than half that amount.

In the years between 1765 and 1775 Britain greatly increased the tax burden on the American colonists by raising customs duties. This increased the tax burden by a massive 8 pence per head, to 20 pence per year — or 6% of the taxes that people in Britain itself had to pay, rather than 4%. This injustice drove the American patriots to rebellion.

Source: Palmer, R R: The Age of the Democratic Revolution (1959), Princeton University Press
>>
>>77461717
With the amount of time it took to travel in those days giving the American colonies representation in parliament wasn't feasible.

>>77461826
And the money Britain spent between 1775 and 1783 trying to put down the ensuing rebellion and then fight a war against France and Spain so vastly dwarfed the extra tax revenue they would have collected that it makes you think maybe it wasn't worth it.
>>
>>77461826
That doesn't answer my question you stupid fucking redcoat.

I said you felt you had the right to tax us, whilst we didn't have a right to be represented in parliament because it was "too hard"
Why the fuck was taxing us not too hard?
Why the fuck didn't you just leave it up to the governers of the colonies?
>>
>>77462024
To be honest I doubt he was alive in 1776
>>
>>77462103
I'm just using "you" to refer to his country, genius.
>>
>>77462122
I'm just pointing out your cringy role playing, autist.
>>
>>77462024
You can levy taxes locally, or at any given distance for that matter. It has nothing to do with political representation, where your member of parliament has to be capable of travelling between locations in a realistic time frame.
>>
>>77462024
>Why the fuck was taxing us not too hard?
You literally just need to write down the policy on a piece of paper and send a message informing people of that policy, one time. It's completely different from day to day government.

>Why the fuck didn't you just leave it up to the governers of the colonies?
Why don't we leave federal taxes up to the mayors of major cities?
>>
>>77462024
>Why the fuck didn't you just leave it up to the governers of the colonies?
We did. They just couldn't determine tax rates or foreign policy which would affect the motherland.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.