[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I get a redpill on haggling? In most countries outside the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: Christian-Serratos-1345469000_n.jpg (114KB, 424x562px) Image search: [Google]
Christian-Serratos-1345469000_n.jpg
114KB, 424x562px
Can I get a redpill on haggling?

In most countries outside the US from what I've read, it seems it is customary for merchants to heavily overprice an item and part of their customs is to negotiate the price down, in contrast to the US, where basically everything except cars, real estate, and business deals are fixed in price.

Comparatively speaking, do consumers pay less for things like groceries in "haggle societies"? Would you like more power to negotiate every day purchases in the US, or is it a waste of time and a way to rip off autists without social skills?
>>
some things you can't haggle and in order to haggle you need to know the going price, it is not something a first timer can do

basically you go "hey that dude is selling for x amount" technically you don't even have to talk to the other dude but the idea is to make plain to your seller that you really want his ware for that price
>>
Haggling happens here though, it doesn't happen in Turkey or Morocco or anywhere if you go to a grocery store, public markets where the price is set by the person you buy the thing directly from is where the haggling happens, but you can haggle here as well.
>>
>>77355911
I married a Jew who sucks at haggling. I think I fucked up.
>>
How in the hell do I haggle with a barcode scanner in a supermarket?
>>
>>77356106
>what does the "override" key do?
>>
>>77356106
Hmm... are there any traditional Russian farmers markets or something? I know communism butchered a lot of traditions and ways of life but is there any part of society left that hasn't been rationalized for consumer robot citizens?
>>
>>77356106
Lmao. I can imagine some American tourist trying that with a dictionary in his hand because he's read somewhere that haggling is customary everywhere outside the US.

Even when I go buy fresh groceries in the market there's a clearly displayed fixed price. And this is Eastern Europe.
>>
>>77356208
In Moscow Caucasians murdered all Russian market owners in 90s.
>>
If you don't ask you don't get
>>
>>77356208
>are there any traditional Russian farmers markets or something
All the markets have their prices written down.
MTraditional markets are dead anyway. Not because of the communism but because of:
a) widespread of supermarkets in the early 2000s
b) the law that forbids selling stuff on the street out in the open

No idea why would anyone go to some distant traditional market to buy stuff for triple the price instead of going to the nearest supermarket and buying everything cheap and easy.
I don't even know where is the nearest marketplace, since nobody ever buys anything there.

It's not the 90s anymore.
>>
>>77355911
Happens in many third world countries from what I've heared. Doesn't happen in western Europe tho.
>>
>>77355911
>In most countries outside the US

Yes yes, "the great abroad"
>>
>>77355911
You'll find that a lot of places outside the US still barter too. Here in france this is often the case. THis is why a lot of muslims come here, they already have this culture aswell.
>>
>>77355911
Here everything is fixed in price. Nowhere haggles, except for like flea markets and yard sales. And even then, the trend of being rigidly resistant to price bargaining seems to have entered those scenes as well. Maybe it's just part of the cashless-transition.
>>
>>77356459
m8..
I haggle all the time with small business owners if I don't like the price, often on smaller items I'll pretend I don't have the odd-change to save breaking notes/larger coins.
feels good not being a cuck.
>>
>>77355911
>is it a waste of time and a way to rip off autists without social skills?
This, so much this.
Being an autist in a third world country like turkey is painful
>>
You can haggle literally everywhere as long as there's someone who is allowed to make a decision
Wal-Mart slaves can't, so you can't haggle there, but you can in a small, family-owned grocery site
Likewise, you could walk into a Rolex store, ask for the manager and haggle for their most expensive watch
>>
>>77356465
Given how kindly we're typically treated, it's a shame that more Americans aren't interested in the world outside their national borders.
>>
>>77356589
>using the word cuck

bad news friend...
>>
>>77356909
You should invade more countries to make people like americans.
>>
>>77355911
wtf i though every country had haggling? it's the worst part about being an autist

every time i go to the supermarket to buy some basic groceries i end up getting flustered and have to pay twice as much for my shopping as chad does
>>
>>77356973
it's merely board vernacular at this point newfriend
>>
>>77355911
That's only true in Beijing idiot.
>>
>>77357179
But it doesn't belong on /int/ because it's against our culture.
>>
>>77356742
>>77356589
>be service and sales manager for small specialized equipment manufacturer
>customer starts trying to haggle
>get annoyed
>say something important has just come up - gotta go
>he calls back two days later, buys system at full price
>add extra $80 in handling charges
>pizza party funded by annoying customer
It's not always a good idea to haggle. I wouldn't recommend trying it with anyone except street vendors and flea market vendors.
>>
>>77357228
I can't tell if that post was ironic.
>>
>>77357303
It isn't.
>>
>>77355911
Protip: that is why we're poor!
>>
>>77357338
No, you're poor because Alexander is dead.
>>
>>77357333
>muh board culture
Then kill yourself.
>>
>>77357417
Go back to Facebook if you don't care about our culture.
>>
We don't have a haggle culture. But outside brand stores few private/small businesses will be annoyed and many will even comply and negotiate. But again, very few urban Norwegians will try to haggle. Haggling over services is rude though. You can haggle for furniture, car or even farm food, but not a plumber fixing you shitter.
>>
>>77357457
No, I like to spoil the fun for faggots like you who seem to need this site as a sort of refuge.
>>
>>77357589
This is no refuge for me, cunt. This is our home and if you don't like it you can fuck off back to Twitter.
>>
>>77357260
>I wouldn't recommend trying it with anyone except street vendors and flea market vendors
I try it with everyone. If you don't ask you don't get.
Obviously if I'm buying 1 unit of something, I'm not going to continue twisting your arm if you say no, unless I'm prepared to walk away otherwise.

>>77357484
>You can haggle for furniture, car or even farm food, but not a plumber fixing you shitter.
There's some truth to this, but it's not rude to dig into labour and material costs and negotiate beforehand assuming it's a fixed-cost project, but I agree it'd be very rude to haggle on £ per hor
>>
>>77357631
>our
Cuck.
>>
>>77357902
You belong on Instagram. Don't shit up our board.
>>
>>77357260
>>77357858
This guy knows
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.