[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does it seem like Australia is more British influenced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 18

File: USA-UK-AUSTRALIA.png (53KB, 660x331px) Image search: [Google]
USA-UK-AUSTRALIA.png
53KB, 660x331px
Why does it seem like Australia is more British influenced than the US is?
>>
Because it's a totally british colony, perhaps
>>
>>77278281
Because America is more influenced by Africa and Mexico these days.
>>
Because we have nothing to do with you and disavowed responsibility well over two and a half centuries ago
>>
>>77278281
The US is barely Anglo. We've always been more influenced by Germany, Italy and Ireland. Some influence from Spain and France
>>
>>77278281
Maybe because one of those countries revolted against England and the other has a fucking cuckstamp.
>>
>>77278367
LA LUISIANA ES FRANCESA
>>
because they didn't go full edgy retard and they aren't right next to the US
>>
>>77278367
Yeah I don't get when people say the US is Anglo.

Aside from the English language, we aren't some liberal pieces of shit who allow non-whites to take over our country
>>
>>77278281
Because Australia, like us, was colony that kept its British control for much longer and eventually broke away to independence in a peaceful manner and remains closely tied to the UK?

Obviously a country which rebelled and fought the British for independence would be a lot less British itself afterwards.
>>
>>77278331
*tips*
>>
>>77278522
>we aren't some liberal pieces of shit who allow non-whites to take over our country

Yeah.
>>
>>77278522
>we aren't some liberal pieces of shit who allow non-whites to take over our country
Yanks have such a poor sense of irony that I honestly can't tell if posts like this are serious or not
>>
>>77278687
>>77278693
t. Muhammad
>>
>>77278714

Your country is substantially less white than both the UK and Canada, have had a literal non-white control the country and even in your last election, as a people voted more for the liberal party, electoral college notwithstanding.

So what the fuck are you going on about?
>>
>>77278789
Trump won and we are in the process of literally executing all the illegals in the country

Your PM is literally is allowing Mudslimes to enter your country

I served in the army and shot so many Mudslime kids in Iraq without pity
>>
File: amerisharts.jpg (119KB, 941x768px) Image search: [Google]
amerisharts.jpg
119KB, 941x768px
>>77278522
>60% white

HAHAHAH
>>
File: 1499618709526.png (759KB, 665x908px) Image search: [Google]
1499618709526.png
759KB, 665x908px
>>77278891
>>
>>77278281
Have you ever studied history of tour country? or you are a muslism who Sant friends
>>
>>77278891
>London
>50% White British

heh
>>
>>77278637
>like us
we're nothing like you, leaf
>>
File: bin that opinion.jpg (100KB, 601x817px) Image search: [Google]
bin that opinion.jpg
100KB, 601x817px
>>77278891
could you imagine being so buttblasted that you took time out of your day to make that image
>>
>>77279191

Stop trying to act cool, it's cringy. The history of how you split from Britain is very similar to us.
>>
>>77279222
>very similar to us
we're not similar to you, leaf
>>
>>77278281
Isn't Australia more influenced by the US nowadays?
>>
File: pol12.jpg (96KB, 600x459px) Image search: [Google]
pol12.jpg
96KB, 600x459px
>>77278522
>allow non-whites to take over our country

I'm not sure what to tell you anon...

Trump doesn't have the power to stop Mexicans from having 6 children each
>>
>>77279277
bit of both
>>
File: le 3 percent face.jpg (2MB, 4592x3234px) Image search: [Google]
le 3 percent face.jpg
2MB, 4592x3234px
>>77279301
nobody gave you permission to speak
>>
>>77278281
Stupid murrifat
>>
>>77278891
It's actually less than 50% if you take issue with the Americans' definition of "white" (Arabs, Indians, Pakis and Turks are "white" according to the US census)
>>
>>77279380
According to /pol/ the percentage drops by about %6 every few months - I wouldn't take anything you see on there seriously
>>
>>77279425
It's true though. the above 60% white figure includes Hispanics.
>>
>>77278281
Modern Australia is more influenced by the US than the UK

Of course modern British culture is also a cheap imitation of American culture, so it's hard to say which parts of Australia are a direct imitation of America and which parts are an imitation of an imitation of America...
>>
>>77279191
cringe.
>>
>>77278522
>Yeah I don't get when people say the US is Anglo.

>started as English colonies
>Founding Fathers were all mostly English
>speak the language of English
>legal system is English
>observe English holidays
>constitution basically copied from English Bill of Rights 1689

Yeah it's a complete mystery m8
>>
>>77279685
Except the US is mostly made up of German-Italian-Irish-Spanish descendants

Hamburgers, hotdogs and apple pie are all German
>>
>>77279685
>started as English colonies
American colonies
>Founding Fathers were all mostly English
They were all Americans
We speak American
>legal system is English
Our government and legal system is American actually
>observe English holidays
We observe American holidays
>constitution basically copied from English Bill of Rights 1689
Constitution was written by Americans

Once again the UK tries to take credit for American genius. You tried though
>>
File: PicsArt_07-07-12.32.02.png (265KB, 470x270px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_07-07-12.32.02.png
265KB, 470x270px
>>77279273
You are the subequatorial version of Canada. We are oddly alike
>>
>>77279750
Apple pies aren't German you thick cunt.
>>
>>77279750
>"Apple pie was brought to the colonies by the British, Dutch, and Swedes during the 17th and 18th centuries."
Also a few shitty food items aren't indicative of anything, really.
>>
>>77278281
because it is, isn't that blatantly fucking obvious? From everything to the flag to the accents to the fact that it became independent far after we did and is in the Commonwealth of Nations?

reminder to sage brainlet threads
>>
>>77279506
The rise of non-whites in America and the belief among modern Americans that things like pop music, rap and McDonald's is culture tells its own story. Actual culture is what makes up the very fabric of a country, things like law, education and social values and in that regard the USA historically is very much English and still is, just about. In fact you should count yourself lucky because if it weren't the USA would be a third world shithole like most of South America.
>>
Are you retarded OP?

I am seriously asking this, are you in fact mentally disabled?
>>
>>77279425
Without Hispanics it's ~60% (with them it's 72%), when you dock the cruft (because "white" is insane in the US census) it's below 50
>>
>>77279899
Then explain Canada
>>
>>77279750
>food is more important culturally than things like law, religion etc

Yes I'm sure it was fatty foods that made America what it is today.
>>
>>77279750
Mostly Anglo/Irish actually
>>
>>77278367
If America wasn't "Anglo" and was in fact more influenced by Germany, Italy and Ireland, you wouldn't have burgers jumping at every opportunity to LARP as Germans, Italians and Irish like they do now, because influence from said countries would be so ingrained in their culture.
>>
>>77279956
>when you dock the cruft (because "white" is insane in the US census) it's below 50
do you think that the US is over ten percent Middle Eastern, Iranian, or North African? Because that's the only group that is counted as non-hispanic white which is questionable.
>>
>>77279958
What about it? Our culture and legal system are also largely based on the British model.
>>
>>77279958
Proximity.
Wow, that was really difficult.
>>
>>77279778
I am very much enjoying your banter. Another thing you inherited from the English.
>>
>>77278281
>america
>purposely changed their culture to be less british
>australia
>part of the british empire until post ww2
hmmmm i wonder why
>>
>>77280057
>purposely changed their culture to be less british
>purposely
it was a completely natural development. Early Americans were proud of their Anglo-Saxon or Celtic identities but like everything it was ruined by immigration.
>>
>>77280008
Our Spanish descendants still speak the language and are heavily steeped into Spanish culture

And unlike Canada and Australia, the US had massive European immigration, where most people kept their cultures and traditions.

There's a huge culture shock whenever Canadians and Australians visit the US. We're nothing alike. I went to Quebec once and felt so out of place
>>
>>77279903
Culture isn't just things you approve of. Culture is also speech patterns, music, art, and social behavior, and in this respect the UK is completely and totally Americanized. McDonald's is culture in that it is American food prepared in an American fashion which millions upon millions upon millions of British people purchase day after day after day. Rap music and rock music are American musics which British teenagers prefer to listen to rather than that of their own country. British people don't give a flying shit about religion and law, they care about Kanye West and Game of Thrones

You are an American, you just don't realize it yet
>>
>>77280135
Our civic culture is based on good governance and loyalty.
Yours is based on paranoia and enlightenment ideals

You did that on purpose
>>
>>77279778
Also most religion observed in America came are English protestant. I forgot about that one.

Face it, there's a very good reason the USA has been so successful. It's an offshoot of the greatest culture to exist. Same goes for Canada and Australia.
>>
>>77280193

what spanish culture?

are you some kind of mexican? gtfo
>>
>>77280229
the Enlightenment was a product of Britain and France, so that's a stupid assertion.
>>
>>77280193
Idk m8, most Australians I know who have gone to America have said that you are very similar to us.

Then again, I guess the US has fairly significant regional differences so that could have an effect.
>>
>>77280210
You massively overstate the influence of American culture. Yet even if what you say is true, American influence on the world is NOTHING compared to the fact that your entire country is English down to its very foundations. You can slap burgers and rock music and nigger rap over the top of it, but you are English down to the very core. You can never get away from it. I might be slightly American once a week when I go into Burger King for 30 minutes. You are English every second of your life.
>>
>>77280210
The top selling band of all time is British, the top grossing film franchise is British, the 2 top grossing films Canadian, the best selling novel series is British, 7 out of the top 10 best selling novels are British, (2 of the remaining 3 are American but set entirely in Europe), all of the sports played in the commonwealth and America are native to Canada, Canadians, or Britain, (except Aussie rules football).
>>
Americans are so immersed in Anglo-Saxon culture that they don't even notice it but to an outside observer it's really apparent. Legal system/language/economic model/social institutions/etc. pick anything of relevance.

It's true that the US USED to have a strong German influence, 'USED to' is the important part.

The large numbers of German-speaking towns, schools, newspapers communities, associations and perishes were all shut down. German was virtually banished from public life and the people were assimilated into mainstream Anglophone culture.
>>
>>77280210
We took rock music and made our own superior version, expanding it into many other genres. We take a lot of your things and make superior versions of it which even your own country copies. In terms of popular music our two countries are intrinsically linked, we both take inspiration from eachother.
>>
>>77280481
Soccer isn't popular in America like it is in Canada, Australia and Britain

>>77280370
Well thats cool and all - aside from language, we're more influenced by Germany. I was stationed in Germany and felt no cultural difference unlike the UK where people drive on the left
>>
>>77280550

you are trolling or you're just a dumb twat
>>
File: 1489379112102.gif (3MB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
1489379112102.gif
3MB, 300x252px
>>77280550
>I was stationed in Germany and felt no cultural difference unlike the UK where people drive on the left
>>
This Yank has posted this stuff before, it's his shtick. Most of what he's typed in here is nearly word for word what he's typed before.
>>
>>77280516
Assimilation into American (Anglo) culture was largely voluntary, although yes there was also a large pressure to do so.

>>77280550
>aside from language, we're more influenced by Germany.
Ridiculous, try reading the rest of the thread
>I was stationed in Germany and felt no cultural difference
You probably never left the big cities and spent most of your time around tourists and cultureless urbanites
>unlike the UK where people drive on the left
Now you're baiting.
>>
File: C9YNNx5WsAAktfx.png (144KB, 1200x992px) Image search: [Google]
C9YNNx5WsAAktfx.png
144KB, 1200x992px
>>77280550
>I was stationed in Germany and felt no cultural difference unlike the UK where people drive on the left
Germany is literally nothing like the States, even in naafi haunts
>>
>>77280370
>you are English down to the very core
Yeah try telling that to Javier or Jamal, they'll laugh in your pasty face

>>77280481
>money = culture
Being a materialistic uncultured pig is very anglo, I'll give you that
>>
>>77280550
>I spent a few months inside the expat bubble of an American military base with its own American brand store and restaurants and this makes me an expert on cultural and institutional differences.
>>
>>77280550
No, but basketball, baseball, football, and ice hockey are. They are also all Canadian.
>>
>>77280693
you always have the option of going the fuck back where you came from
>>
>>77280693
It's not about money. You mentioned what the tennagers like. I just pointed out the the most popular things among kids are all British and Canadian. Not American
>>
>>77279301
>Trump doesn't have the power to stop Mexicans from having 6 children each
It's not hard.

>cut off welfare checks
>you have to pay for your own kids
>ah heh heh heh maybe 2 will do
>>
>>77280653
>Assimilation into American (Anglo) culture was largely voluntary, although yes there was also a large pressure to do so.

This is whitewashing of history.

The Federal Government frequently used oppressive means to assimilate large immigrant groups, especially in case of the Japanese and the German Americans. There are even documented public lynchings.

Stepping in and forcibly shutting down newspapers and schools does not in any way constitute 'voluntary'. Forced assimilation was a real thing. The school ban for example only got reversed after a surpreme decision in the 1950s or something.
>>
>>77280879
Bullcrap. Most of this was done by local communities, the Federal government pre-WWII was tiny and had very little power and reach.
>>
>>77280940
>Federal government pre-WWII was tiny
So tiny its justice deparment had the capacity to register about 500 000 'foreign aliens' and imprison and intern thousands more?
>>
>>77278861
>>77280871
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/8/illegal-immigration-plummets-trump-inauguration/
http://www.mediaite.com/online/dhs-secretary-kelly-illegal-immigration-rates-dropped-40-in-trumps-first-month-as-president/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/us/trump-immigration-border.html
>>
>>77280879
Well yeah I'm not denying that, but even before that there was a fairly high degree of assimilation. A strong German identity as opposed to an American identity really only remained in parts of the Midwest as far as I am aware.
>>
>>77280940
>American education
>>
>>77281072
>So tiny its justice deparment had the capacity to register about 500 000 'foreign aliens' and imprison and intern thousands more?
During the war, yes. Not in the 1920s.
>>
>>77281076
Pennsylvania has the Pennsylvanian Dutch, a German group, mostly Mennonites and Amish.
>>
File: Theodore Roosevelt.jpg (40KB, 451x600px) Image search: [Google]
Theodore Roosevelt.jpg
40KB, 451x600px
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American republic. There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.
>>
>>77281150
Yes but it's wrong to imply that the entire German culture and identity in America was essentially wiped out simply by a few years of anti-German policies and sentiment during WW1. It's natural for immigrants to assimilate over time and you can't just make a culture or identity "disappear" within a few years, it has to happen gradually.
>>
Why didn't meat pies take off in America like they did in the UK/AUSNZ? You'd think Americans wouldn't miss a chance to get meat and pastry down their holes in one snack.
>>
>>77281121
You threw out your original Articles of Confederation and replaced them with a Constitution in the late 18th century. Specifically because you needed a stronger feferal government. Which continued to grow in power and influence until a few states got fed up with all the federal power and started a civil war for 4 years. After which as part of reconstruction and entering the 20th century your government continued to grow in power. The New Deal made the federal government the official power for all private banking and the largest US employer.

Learn your fucking history
>>
>>77281211
Sounds nice in theory Teddy but reality doesn't work like that
>>
>>77278281
Compared to the US and Canada, Australia seems way more British. But really, how different are the 4 countries nowadays?

I dunno if this includes South Africa. They had massive European immigration as well
>>
>>77281308
They're fairly popular in Michigan because of Cornish immigrants who worked the mines in the upper peninsula.
>>
>>77281329
South Africa isn't part of the Anglosphere, they're their own thing and closer to the Netherlands culturally.
>>
>>77278281
The irony is that the US is physically closer to the UK than Australia is.

Australia seems like what would happen if the UK got more sun. I might be in the minority when I say this but Canada and the US don't seem different at all
>>
>>77281329
You don't know anything about Canada
>>
>>77281328
Well no, else we wouldn't have mouth breathers boasting that their grandfather was 1/32nd Irish.
>>
>>77281420
>Canada and the US don't seem different at all
maybe if you live in some desolate snownigger state, but most people don't
>>
After the War of 1812, there was a push to establish a distinctly American identity and move away from British cultural influences. Webster's Dictionary was significant in codifying American English as distinct from British English.
>>
>>77281076
One-half million children were attending school with a curriculum partly or all in German, as counted by the German American Teachers Association still in 1900.

This is a huge number. This is not the number of pupils having German in school but those learning the normal school curriculum in German.

http://www.everyculture.com/multi/Du-Ha/German-Americans.html
>>
>>77280879

oh, you're some kind of nutjob

here's an idea, if you want people to feel comfortable identifying with the culture they came from, then don't start two world wars and engage in a massive horrible government policy of extermination

not to say you have any say over what transpired, but it was your own people that directed that shift in history, not mine
>>
>>77281420
None of the Anglosphere "looks" very different. Wgat you see is all surface culture, accents, clothes, etc.
Can, Aus, UK, NZ, and US are all very similiar. You notice the differences when you start to look deeper. Then you see that Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK are nearly identical, but America has taken another path and is noticeably different. Or at least as different as any 2 western nations
>>
>>77281250
>Yes but it's wrong to imply that the entire German culture and identity in America was essentially wiped out simply by a few years of anti-German policies and sentiment during WW1.

Please read my posts again, I'm not claiming that. I was claiming that the immigrant groups were forcibly assimilated due to state-sponsored actions over several decades.
>>
>>77281121
This happend in 1917/18, lol.
>>
File: icebergCulture.gif (57KB, 792x576px) Image search: [Google]
icebergCulture.gif
57KB, 792x576px
>>77281616
Pic related
>>
>>77281393
They are part of the Commonwealth of Nations, and partake in our sports like rugby, cricket and the Commonwealth Games.
>>
>>77281616

canada is more like US than britain.
>>
>>77281555
Although it's more than I would have thought, half a million still isn't really that much in the scheme of things. This was probably limited to rural areas of the Midwest as well. Certainly not enough to have any major influence on the greater American culture.
>>
>>77281650
Well yeah, there was a war going on.
>>
Well unlike in Australia, the British didn't massacre thousands of Americans like they did attempting to genocide Americans during the Revolutionary War

What the Brits did to us is equivalent to what the Germans did to Eastern Europe in WW2
>>
>>77281723

This is 100% true, apart from their french of course

FRENCH, on this continent
>>
>>77281570
>oh, you're some kind of nutjob

Excuse me? You're some kind of idiot.

I didn't even take a personal stance in either condeming or approving these actions. I'm just trying to correct what has been exposed as a very incorrect historical view of how assimilation happened in the US.

Forced state-sponsored assimilation happened in the US. This is a fact and I don't care whether you are some raging nationalist or liberal fag who believes in a multicultural utopia.
>>
File: Commonwealth Games 2014.jpg (183KB, 687x1021px) Image search: [Google]
Commonwealth Games 2014.jpg
183KB, 687x1021px
>>77281704
>Commonwealth Games

The US would mess up our cosy games if they were allowed in. They have their Pan-American Games and can stay there.
>>
>>77281723
Canada has a parliamentary government unlike us, otherwise they're more like Americans in several ways (for example their cars and sports). Canadian English uses British spelling, although the vernacular is mostly American.

Australia plays British sports, the language is closer to British English with lots of unique vernacular/slang, and spelling can be either British or American (colour vs color, realise vs realize, etc). Their cars are more like British makes.

New Zealand is just mini-me Australia.
>>
>>77281856
>England inviting bushmen, Pajeet and Zheng to give themselves free medals

kek. If we were in the same position of having South and Central America as former colonies I'm sure we'd do the same
>>
>>77281856
These games are the best thing ever to watch and I want them to stay a secret
>>
>>77281731
This is pretty big if it's just the children and all of these children have adult family who themselves were mainly using German in their day to day life in a population of 100 million at that time that had significat non-white populations numbering in the millions(mainly Afro-American) then you also have to add those that only spoke English at school but German at home.
>>
Keep in mind that prior to the removal of immigration barriers in the 1970s, most immigrants to Commonwealth cunts were from the British Isles and they did not have the large amount of continental European immigrants that we had.
>>
>>77281974
Some of the best track runners in the world are from those African countries, as well as the sprinters from the Caribbean islands. The Asian countries produce top quality badminton and ping pong players.
>>
>>77281856

at last the US got the FIFA world cup, there aren't any anglos. at least in the (1/8) finals.
>>
>>77281969
>Australia plays British sports
Not football though, curiously enough.
>>
USA was more separated early and developed more regional identities influenced by the french, germans, dutch, etc
>>
>>77282122
Strangely enough, soccer never really got established in the Commonwealth cunts, they mainly play rugby and cricket.
>>
>>77282044
True. Also I don't really know why I'm arguing against you anyway kek. The only point I really want to make is that America is more culturally and ethnically Anglo than it is German.
>>
>>77282185

we weren't influence by the french, fucking lol

there are no french in america, we had more finns than french here at the founding of the country
>>
>>77282311
But muh Cajuns
>>
Australians are just ringworms given the power of speech.
>>
>>77282254
>The only point I really want to make is that America is more culturally and ethnically Anglo than it is German
There were never a lot of English immigrants and almost all of them came here in colonial times. Scottish and Irish immigration was far more common, and Germans have also been here since the colonial era. Most Americans of English extraction are old WASP families from the Northeast.
>>
>>77282368
?
>>
>>77282311

what about New Orleans?
>>
who cares
Australia is Chink clay now
>>
>>77282254
>The only point I really want to make is that America is more culturally and ethnically Anglo than it is German.

I'm not disagreeing here. I'm just saying it used a bit different before the wars when there used to be a significant minority that had their own parallel, social institutions set-up, much like the French Canadians in Canada.
>>
>>77282398
You're right, I should have said British Islanders and not specifically Anglos.
>>
Do people in other English speaking countries know what they sound like to the rest of the world? Because your accents are wild
>>
>>77282444
Fair enough then m8, I guess I can agree
>>
I notice in the USA - people are much more aware of their Irish heritage than they are in other Commonwealth countries where they're seen more as Catholic Anglo people

Why is that?
>>
>>77282311
Much of the US was founded on French enlightenment ideas. Just take the separation of church and state for example.

Jefferson used to say that the American and the French revolution were one and the same.
>>
>>77282540
Because Americans enormously overestimate how "Irish" they are.
>>
>>77282398
Southern whites are primarily of Irish and Scottish ancestry, it was said that the Confederate battle yell was descended from Scotch Highlander hunting calls.
>>
America is only 25% ethnically Anglo
>>
>>77282540
Well Australians used to pretty much consider themselves as British until the First World War, so the idea of being "Anglo" is more important to us than Americans I guess.
>>
File: australia immigration.jpg (225KB, 1696x877px) Image search: [Google]
australia immigration.jpg
225KB, 1696x877px
>>77282682
you let a lot of brits in too.
>>
And actually, the American Revolution birthed three nations as large numbers of Loyalists moved to Canada after the end of the war (previously the place was mostly just Quebecois) and Australia, as London needed a new place to dispose of criminals.
>>
>>77278522
>>77278367
Americans are so fucking dumb. nuke us please
>>
>>77282436

at the founding of the nation that was a spanish possession if memory serves
>>
>>77282767
No
The Loyalists moved mostly to Ontario, an Anglo province and New Brunswick, which had bern an Acadian region but was mostly empty in the south following the 1755 deportation to largely Louisiana where they became Cajuns.

Québec recieved no large loyalist influx.
>>
File: 1480559524213.jpg (38KB, 360x361px) Image search: [Google]
1480559524213.jpg
38KB, 360x361px
>>77282866
I'm pretty sure he's b8ing based on the subsequent replies
>>
>>77282398
Jews as well, the first handful came from the Netherlands and settled in New Amsterdam in the middle of the 17th century. Peter Stuyvestant, the Dutch governor, was said to not like them very much.
>>
>>77282903
You misread my post. I said the population of Canada was mostly Quebecois prior to the American Revolution, there wasn't a significant Anglo population until the flood of Loyalists into what's now Ontario.
>>
>>77282892
Ah yes, the great Spanish city of La Nouvelle-Orléansfounded byfamous Spanish explorer Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville
>>
>>77282929
New York City of course has that group of old Dutch families as well, which included the Roosevelts, a rudiment of the city's beginnings as a fur trading post for the Netherlands.
>>
>>77283018

It's like you don't even know history
>>
>>77282987
Nope, upper Canada (Ontario) and the Maritimes were all full of Anglos.
>>
Louisiana Creoles were a distinct subculture that mostly spoke French and practiced Catholicism, making them distinct from the surrounding WASP population. They were a bit less puritan than the Protestant whites, gambling was not seen as a sin and it was acceptable for married men to take black mistresses. Creole culture declined after the Civil War.
>>
>>77283104
I'm aware of Spanish Louisiana, I was making a joke
>>
>>77283134
I think his meaning is that the population of those regions was significantly lower than the population of Quebec, so when the loyalists came it shifted what is today Canada from being majority French speaking to majority English speaking as a whole.
>>
File: lords.png (564KB, 808x436px) Image search: [Google]
lords.png
564KB, 808x436px
>This entire thread
>Americans
>>
>>77282929
There were Jewish communities in the South as well, particularly in Charleston and Richmond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Order_No._11_(1862)

lyl
>>
>>77283214

yes, like when your representative made a joke when signing the document of Japan's surrender
>>
>>77283401
This was one of the Insufferable Acts that led to your Revolution
>>
>>77283269
The South in general didn't attract a lot of immigration since European immigrants were often appalled with slavery and also few of them knew how to farm cotton.
>>
>>77282987
After Britain's acquisition of Quebec in 1763, Parliament pondered what to do with the alien population and after several years of debate, the Quebec Act was passed, which granted toleration to the Quebecois and the Catholic faith (it should be noted that Catholicism was illegal in England itself and would remain so until 1828). It was if nothing else a very enlightened bill for the time, but it did not go over well with American colonists who began fearing incursions by dirty Papists.
>>
>>77283301
The German was saying New Orleans was influenced by the French

To which someone said that is was Spanish

To which I pointed out it was very much French

Try to follow along
>>
>>77282398
German immigration came in a few waves, the first ones here were Amish/Mennonites in colonial times, then more Germans immigrated after the revolutions in 1848. They were mostly middle class political refugees and worked in skilled labor, ran small businesses, or farmed. Most settled in the Upper Midwest, some in Texas, and they also introduced beer drinking to the US.
>>
>tfw I have to share a flag with people this fucking stupid
>tfw
>>
>>77283749

Trump is president, right?
>>
>>77283537

I don't see where you figured there was a break in the chain?

and actually, no, the poster decried french influence, to which new orleans was prompted, however it was a Spanish possession when America came into full being, and was not an example of french influence in America's culture, form, and soul.

there was no claim that new orleans was not influenced by france

honestly, you're dumb m8
>>
>>77283692
For comparison, Irish were absolutely dirt-ass poor. The potato famine caused a vast horde of them to descend on the US (some also went to Canada and Australia) and they were grunt labor who did all the dirtiest jobs, although Irish-Americans could be found in all socioeconomic brackets from millionaires to ditch diggers. They were organized and became politically active in a hurry; Irish came to dominate the political machines of big cities.
>>
>>77281770
The war was not winnable at all for Britain for a variety of factors.
>>
How come soccer isn't popular in the ex-British colonies but is in the UK?
>>
>>77284251

maybe it's just so popular in the UK because of the competition all around them. I actually don't know it it was already so loved when they still got the colonies.
>>
>>77284251
Australians generally like contact sports like rugby over soccer, also the British colonial authorities promoted rugby as a sport in the colonies. Soccer thus never got established there.

As for Canada, hockey is #1 and so thoroughly ingrained in the national culture that it would be almost impossible for any other sport to come close to it there.
>>
File: Trudeau.jpg (503KB, 1008x826px) Image search: [Google]
Trudeau.jpg
503KB, 1008x826px
>>77284598
>hockey is #1 and so thoroughly ingrained in the national culture that it would be almost impossible for any other sport to come close to it there.
Don't worry, the amount of non-whites pouring in here is already putting the future of the sport in jeopardy.
>>
It may have something to do with Australians not wanting to be like Americans. Big, loud and obnoxious. They're fun to watch but nobody wants to be them.
>>
>>77285185

that's funny, my impression of austrailians is that you're loud and obnoxious
>>
>>77279685
i mean at best we speak a dialect of it.
>>
>>77286431

you don't know what a dialect is

fuck's sake people like you are annoying
>>
>>77278281
Because only 4% of the white American population is of English descent.
>>
>>77278281
USA is older and has mixed origins.
>>
>>77279380
this, it's more like 20%. Americans have a broad definition of "white" and most are heavily mixed. That's not to say it's a bad thing but it's fucking ridiculous to parade "whiteness" and other nonsense if you're literally, resoundingly nonwhite.
>>
>>77287216
only 4% of the white American population is white
>>
>>77287216
if we lived in a world where you're only able to be descended from one nationality, maybe
>>
>>77287216
it's more than that, they just don't muh heritage like other groups
>>
>>77286286
^This.
Thread posts: 183
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.