[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that Irish Gaelic is still retained as the """first"""

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: images.png (236B, 255x128px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
236B, 255x128px
Why is it that Irish Gaelic is still retained as the """first""" official language of Ireland and is taught nationwide as a language subject in school even though less than 2% of the national population speaks it at home. Is there actually any practical use of teaching this near-extinct language to kids? INB4 poo in loo.
>>
>>76391117
You of all people should undestand it. The English and their evil subduing of other people shouldn't go unchallenged.
>>
>>76391279
Okay, what you said made absolutely no sense. What's the point of pretending that English is not the """real""" language of Ireland when everyone in the country speaks nothing but English in the modern day? Why associate English with the Brits at all? Why try to revive a dead language in the name of nationalism?
>>
File: 1496530332382.jpg (48KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1496530332382.jpg
48KB, 768x768px
>>76391117
>even though less than 2% of the national population speaks it at home
The motivation is to have that not be the case. The methodology is severely lacking, but education is supposed to have a cultural component. It would be even more cucked not to teach Irish.
>>
>>76391359
As the jews you dumb poofag
>>
to have some kind of identity and culture

to be able to speak with your peers in a manner foreigners can't understand to curse at them
>>
>>76391422
Good point. But they needed a common language to unite all the different Jewish people speaking different languages when they came to Israel. But the Irish all already speak English.
>>
>>76391117
At this point is a waste of time. They still teach it to prove that they aren't anglos because their national language is irish, but they are the most anglo nation after UK.
>>
It's sad really, it's like, even Manx is at better state, consider the Isle of Man population (it's nearly half non-Manx).
>>
>>76391377
In north African nations up to half the population speaks Tamazight at home and indeed Tamazight was the "original" language of the area until Arabization, just how Garlic was the original language of Ireland until Anglicization. But still Tamazight is not taught in school except in some parts of Morocco, and the government tried to ban the language once.
>>
>>76391530
Manx is not in a better state, it literally died and has a couple of thousand second language speakers who speak a revived anglified dialect. There are maybe a few hundred who are actually fluent in it as well.
>>
>>76391542
>garlic
Dumb phoneposter
>>
>>76391634
My bad.
>>76391530
Bro the only Celtic language in a reasonably good state is Welsh.
>>
There's more to life than pure pragmatics. Gaelic will never be the primary language but people can still learn it. There's no real utility in any other language an insular Anglophone can learn anyway.

Why the hell are you shilling for Anglos anyway?
>>
File: 1498151400534.jpg (57KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1498151400534.jpg
57KB, 500x375px
>>76391542
So Moroccans prefer to push a pan-Arabic identity? Whatever suits them but that doesn't really have much to do with us or our own ethnic nationalism.
>>
>>76391728
Am I?
>>
>>76391117
muh heritage and their victim complex
>>
>>76391279
He of all people won't understand it because for all the muh colonialism pajeets spew they really really love English.
>Anti Hindi agitations against slightest hint of possible droping English as official language
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Hindi_Imposition_Campaign
>India's elite prefer English as medium of communication
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2014/11/06/the-problem-with-the-english-language-in-india/&refURL=&referrer=
>India's obsession with English
https://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2017/01/indias-obssesion-with-english/
>>
File: irish.png (12KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
irish.png
12KB, 420x420px
Why don't Irish people speak Irish?
>>
>>76391117
dont you even learn your old language in school?

you sound like really a stupid 3rd world poster
>>
>>76391542
>>76391359
Dalit,I think you are trying to understand a sentimental issue of ethno nationalism.With your libtarded world view.
Unlike in our case 'muh colonial bastards' meme is much more widespread and enforced in Ireland than in ours.
Except for Lemurians and Bongs,nobody here care about 'muh language' meme but thats not the case for Irish cause for them its a matter of pride(Although a failed attempt to revive a dead language).
>>
>>76392690
What the hell are you even talking about?>>76392715
What is with all these pretentious Pajeets trying to pick up the racism fad from 4chan?
>>
>>76392493
Man, you are simply retarded, as of all the Indians here desperately trying to fit into this meme culture of the firang. Do you even know anything about the state of the Garlic language in Ireland? Literally no one speaks it and they still try to pretend that it's their mother tongue.
>>
>>76392837
Fuck, Gaelic I mean
>>
>>76392768
are you op. if so thats my line.
whats so strange about learning your own traditional/old language. dont you learn your one like old english.

you are just trying to be an edgy cunt and get cucked by amerishit culture the same way that those who importunately urge new language learners to learn mandarin just because it makes money and "useful".
>>
>>76392768
Ah you must be that poonjabi nigger virtue signalling on /sag/
>pick up the racism fad from 4chan?
Dalit if it triggers you,go to randia to bitch about it.Nobody is going to give karma here.
>>76392837
>>76392862
Pooji,did you read what I wrote
>matter of sentimental pride
>ethno nationalism
Smug elitist ad hominem replies might work against bimaru pajeets on facebook who can't argue back with their broken english or in randia where mods are trying the best to turn it into an echo chamber but not here poojeet.
>>
>>76393020
See
>>76392493
To answer your earlier question,no.
I pretty much dropped my native language since high school(Or pre high school whatever you call that)
>>
>>76391117
As if there is anything left in the world but relgion and pride in ones country.
>>
>>76393020
>>76393097
Oh and I am not the OP.
And I believe its the same case for most people who attend English medium school unless they go to some government school which are attended by people from lower socio economic status.
>>
>>76393020
Idk some kids used to learn Sanskrit but I didn't (there was absolutely no point of it anyway because none of them could speak it well enough to have a conversation). I had English, Kannada, Hindi. But that wasn't the point of the post, it was emphasizing on why they promote the language as the *national* language when it's the language of the past. I suppose you agree that they should start teaching Okinawan in school.
>>76393029
Abe saale mein dalit nehin hun. I was just saying it was stupid of you to comment on the thing when you don't know anything about it. Tune Ireland ke bare mein kucch research kiya hein kya? It's not equivalent to Indian kids learning English instead of Hindi. Gaelic is like a wannabe mother tongue.
>>
>>76391117
all of the languages in the british isles are anglified anyway, far from their original lexicons and accents
>>
>>76393320
Kannadigger,everyone knows about the cucked status of Ireland and about their failed attempt to revive a dead language,not just you,but read
>sentimental issue
Was that hard to understand?
Also I am not a bimaru poojeet,so stop replying to me in Urdu.
>>
>>76393649
Who has lead you to believe this?
>>
>>76393320
coz its actually "national". we are forced to learn our boring old japanese in schoo for like 6 years. the class is incredibly boring and the knowledge is useless for most part of our everyday lives. but if its abolished the values of your ancient legacies and historical contexts would weaken to death, with time nobody would have in interest in it.

that means the loss of your cultural diversity/uniqueness for what your modern culture is. in the end you ironically would be more suffered from a loss of your identity in global scenes as a mediocre typical global faggot aka ameriboos. this might be melodramatic but its also how one civilization or unique culture goes extinct
>>
>>76394052
Good,this shitfest called Indian/Hindu culture needs to die
>>
>>76394200
and that was why i called you "a stupid 3rd worlder" first. i was right after all. global faggots from 3rd world are as pathetic as the patriots. and somehow both tend to be influenced by american alt-right movements and its racial spectrum
>>
>>76392601

Because they are the cucks of Yurop just like the puinlus are the cucks of Asia.

You Schlomos on the other hand are truly a Master Race. 2000 years without clay of your own, spreading all over the world like a cancer and yet, you managed to retain intact and strong your jewspeak, culture, banks, jewgod, etc...

Well done.
>>
>>76394531
Who are the Patriots?
>>
>>76391117
>near-extinct language

There are like 70,000 fluent Irish speakers, some of which I know. The fact that these people exist and that it is a well documented language shows that the language is very much alive even if the amount of speakers is low. Hence we have the potential to increase the number of native speakers if we really wanted to. I'd be more worried if I was Manx or Cornish where the language is artificially reconstructed meaning that it's contrived and the language not the true version. The number of Irish speakers is slowly increasing so I'm optimistic of a proper revival one day similar to Hebrew. I think the issue lies with how it is taught here. We learn a modern European language in secondary school here (French is the most common I believe, I learned German) and the results seem to be better than those in Irish even though people have been learning Irish for a further 8 years in primary school. I'm not a teacher so I've never looked into the methodology difference between the teaching of the subjects so I'm not sure exactly why this is the case. One thing I did notice is that when people would be writing/speaking in Irish they would think in English and try to translate trans-literally leading to contrived sounding Irish. The good students would know to think in Irish.

Also, Irish speaking schools are a sign of affluence here especially in areas like South Dublin. The language is a great way to keep foreigners out of these schools and to guide them in the direction of shit community schools. You also need a decent level of Irish to be a primary school teacher or to be a guard (police officer), jobs which are cushy here (the public sector is in general here unlike the US for example) and cornerstones of local communities so it's better that these jobs are occupied by local Irish people. In school, immigrants can often choose not to learn Irish so they don't meaning they're met with a barrier of entry to the aforementioned jobs.
>>
loo in poo
>>
>Irish drilled into us in 6 years old and we're expected to be fluent by 10 so it's a chore and alienating
>Cringy attempts at making Irish hip by adapting Irish versions of Yank slang like YOLO and bling and Irish rapping in general
>Everyone from Gaeltachts being prickish snobs looking down on people for not speaking a language they wouldn't be speakinh if they weren't getting a grant for it
When most people finish Irish and realize it's not homework, they all wish they could speak it naturally
>>
>>76394531
That wasn't OP. I'm OP. I'm back after like five hours. None of the posts since >>76393320 are by me. It's great to see what a shithole this thread has become.
>>
I would feel more sympathy with the Irish if they would stop trying to force meme "Scots Gaelic"
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.