[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Hawaii and Madagascar are nearly 18,000 kilometers away from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: gra_minami-k_sp2_ltd006.jpg (1MB, 1065x1600px) Image search: [Google]
gra_minami-k_sp2_ltd006.jpg
1MB, 1065x1600px
>Hawaii and Madagascar are nearly 18,000 kilometers away from each other and the people don't look similar to me at all. Malagasay people look like South Indians. Native Hawaiians look somewhat like Filipinos. Yet the Hawaiian and the Malagasay language belong not only to the same language family (Austronesian) but also the same subgroup within it (Malayo-Polynesian).
>China, Japan and Korea are neighbouring countries, and the people all look the same to me. Yet Korean, Chinese and Japanese are completely unrelated languages that belong to three completely different primary language families.
Really makes me think.
>>
>>76247294
Japanese and Korean are very similar though
>>
>>76247321
Mostly because both of them (and my language) was cucked by Chinese.
>>
>>76247394
yeah actually but not only words from china
but mostly for glamour
>>
>>76247294
Malagasy are Polynasians with some Bantu Admixture.
>>
>>76247321
Really? But apparently they are different enough to be placed in two entirely disjointed language families. How do you mean they are similar? Common/similar words? Or in terms of grammar? Also is it easy for you to tell Chinese, Korean and Japanese people apart by looking at them? Is there just as much difference as between, say French people and German people? Or is it more obvious?
>>
The Chinese language(s) were the first. Polynesians stole it and turned it into Japanese. The Chinese that weren't smart enough to understand their own language dumbed it down and created Korean.

t. Zhang, the linguistic expert
>>
>>76247589
Japanese is only related to the Ryukyuan languages, which most Japanese call "dialects".
>>
>>76247394
>Han Chinese languages are Sino-Tibetic.
>Vietnamese is Austro-Asiatic.
>Korean is Koreanic (more or less language isolate).
>Japanese is Japonic (also more or less language isolate).
These four languages are supposed to be completely unrelated, yet I associate all these cultures so closely and perceive them as similar.
>>
>>76247589
>How do you mean they are similar
I think borrowed words from Chinese lang should not be included but grammar is very similar. and the sound of Korean lang is sometimes make me feel very similar.
>apart by looking at them?
completely from the clothes and hair style for me
>>
>>76247321
same with chinese.
>>
>>76247749
That's the power of loanwords, it's why English looks more Romance than Germanic. But took it to the more extreme, because English and French are both Indo-European.
>>
File: Migraciones_austronesias.png (63KB, 1012x628px) Image search: [Google]
Migraciones_austronesias.png
63KB, 1012x628px
>Austronesian languages originated in Taiwan

Really fires up the ol' cerebral cortex.
>>
>>76247749
Historically Japan, Korea and Vietnam were strongly influenced by Chinese culture.
>>
>>76247945
There're still Taiwanese Natives, but no one cares of them, maybe they're like the natives in the US.
>>
>>76247692
Have you heard of something called the Altaic language family? Apparently the Turkic, Japonic, Koreanic and Mongolic language families can all be clustered together to form the Altaic superfamily. However this is a theory widely disagreed with. Even the Ainu languages are sometimes grouped into this superfamily. Hence, the relationship between Korean, Japanese and Ainu can be established, and these are all supposedly related to Turkish, Mongolian and the Siberian languages. Similar attempts have been made to combine the Austro-Asiatic and Tai-Kadai language families, hence establishing the relationship between Vietnamese and Thai. Even more fascinating is the theory of a Uralic-Altaic superfamily, establishing the possible relationship between Japanese and Finnish. But all these are just theories and there is no proper evidence of all this.
>>
>>76248642
They're just crazy grouping. For example there is an "Amerindian language family", which group all native languages in Americas together, completely absurd.
>>
>>76247945
You can really see in this pic, how they went out of their way to avoid this place, as if they foretold it was already full.
It's quite an achievement.
>>
>>76248973
Doesn't seem unreasonable because all the indigenous Americans must have had a common origin. Aren't they all descended from a single set of people who came from Siberia, or did many migrations of different sets of people occur? Speaking of Amerindians, there have also been attempts to group languages in Eurasia with indigenous American languages. Like Dené-Yeniseian and Dené-Caucasian. Apparently the link between Georgian and Navajo can be established. Really makes your head spin.
>>
>>76249328
There's a difference between a thread and a rope. Some words tend not to change much through time and kept their similarities and cognitivities even in language groups that became far apart.

Speaking about Madagascar, since their language is still very closely related, there's been a huge influx of migrants from the Philippines and Indonesia lately.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.