[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does your language have names for characters and places different

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 43573573457546.jpg (231KB, 850x827px) Image search: [Google]
43573573457546.jpg
231KB, 850x827px
Does your language have names for characters and places different from the English version of Hobbit/Lord of the Rings?
>>
>>
Yeah, some of the english names like Oakenshield becomes Écu-de-chêne and Mirkwood becomes Forêt Noire or Forêt de Grand'Peur for example
But most of the names especially the short ones aren't changed like Dale and are pronounced the same
>>
>>76218499
I cringed when I found out that Bag End is Cul-de-Sac.
>>
File: 7c6.png (202KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
7c6.png
202KB, 600x700px
yes
>>
>>76218628
A cul-de-sac is an impasse, a dead end. Yes it sound silly, but cul doesn't just mean "ass".
>>
>>76217670
Of course, this is how they should have been translated after all, Tolkien himself created recomendation for translation of all the names and toponymes in his universe.

Our most known translation of LotR is dumb shit though. They translated most of the Elven names to Russian, even though they weren't supposed to be translated. And they translated them just as if they had English roots. Glordyndel became Vseslavur in Russian, they thought that his name comes from the word Glory = Slava. Literally idiots.

My favourite Russian translation is Kamenkovitch-Karrik. They didn't translate any of the names. But their translation is the best because they translated the text just like it is in the original. All the other translators kind of perverted and retold the original text, it sucked very much.
>>
File: genderbent smeagol.jpg (260KB, 1028x1116px) Image search: [Google]
genderbent smeagol.jpg
260KB, 1028x1116px
>>76217670
Oh yes. The translator was really extreme in the liberties he took while making the swedish version. So much so that he inspired Tolkien to write a book for all translators to read, about how the books should be translated. The translator didn't regret anything though, he in fact doubled down on hating Tolkien, and later wrote a book explaining how Tolkien was an anti-semite and how LotR fanclubs across the world were running an occult mafia and crime ring.

His translations were very controversial, with most people being on the side saying that they were bad. So eventually the publishers got permission to write a new translation, on the condition that the first translator not be allowed to have anything to do with it.

Personally I think the translation is quite a good book, and the new one is just a boring, word-for-word translation that doesn't take any risks and compromises telling a good story for the sake of sticking to the specific word choices of the english version. Though I should also mention that the first translation also had a number of mistakes and plotholes that don't make any sense.
>>
>>76218936
>Glordyndel
*Glorfindel
>>
http://kontu.wiki/Nomenclature_of_The_Lord_of_the_Rings

These seem to be mostly straight translations, hobbit names are cute and down to earth.
>>
>>76217670
Bilbo should have been a kawaii girl desu ;n;
>>
>>76219058
>plotholes
how come? the original work didn't have any plotholes.
I understand that some translations took some liberties, but messing it up so badly that you change the story to the point where it starts having plotholes and inconsitencies? jesus
>>
>>76222370
He changed it around so some characters do things that other characters did originally. For example he writes it so Meriadoc delivers the killing blow to the Witch King of Angmar instead of Éowyn, because he writes "he" instead of "she". Similar mix-ups happen a few times. Although I guess this might not be quite a plot hole, more of a change to the plot. These mistakes are one of the things that aren't polarizing, and even those of us who like this his translations see it as unfortunate.
>>
Movies:NO
Books: YES

Same with Harry Potter
Even Voldemorts name is changed in Fluronvdekja in the books
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.