[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lang/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 28

File: shia.jpg (76KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shia.jpg
76KB, 1920x1080px
>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

http://www.duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>>>/t/746368
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

https://www.memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

https://lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

https://www.clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

https://tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe
>>
Mandarin and JavaScript
>>
Anyone having difficulties actually choosing what language(s) to learn? There are so many I'm interested in and I understand that there's just not enough time to become proficient in all of them..

feelsbadman.jpg
>>
>7 days

chrushin that Hungarian brahs
>>
wtfuggggggg
>>
How can people who speak different languages know and learn about each other on the internet?

shitposting on int
Making YouTube channels
Making memes
Writing essays
>>
>>76152177
memes and shitposting are all you need tbqh
>>
>>76150019
I'm already balls deep into German so I want to pick up a Romance language next

I dunno if it should be French or Spanish though
>>
>>76150019
French is the ideal first language for Anglos. There's so much shared vocabulary you can get to a basic conversational level very quickly.
>>
File: 1494987405717.png (248KB, 288x362px) Image search: [Google]
1494987405717.png
248KB, 288x362px
Is he /ourguy/?
>>
>>76153516

This. French is easy and I plan to be done with everything on memrise and duolingo by august. After that it will be excellent background to have for learning Spanish.
>>
>>76153530
maybe
>>
>still falling for the Duolingo meme
>>
>>76155955
>not falling for memes
>>
>>76149653
>What language are you learning?
I starting to learn German, but I'm mostly interested in learning to read the written language, but I don't have a strategy to achieve this yet. For now, I'm using memrise flashcards to pick up basic vocabulary but nothing more.
>>
>>76150019
I decided one after years. A living ancient-written language. Those are most worthy.
>>
I'm learning Korean and Russian. I keep adding languages to that because I get major wanderlust. I've dabbled in Arabic, Persian, Japanese, French, German, Italian, Swedish, etc. But I always come back to Korean and Russian. I really want to learn another language too but I know it'll just slow me down, but knowing that it'll take me years to master my main two languages before I can move on to another one frustrates me.

I've also hit a brick wall. I'm progressing in grammar well, but I can't find a fun way to learn vocab. Flashcards don't help the words stick in my head enough, and writing words out takes too much time.

>>76158156
Which one is that?
>>
File: bennylava1.jpg (10KB, 307x242px) Image search: [Google]
bennylava1.jpg
10KB, 307x242px
>>76160338
Tamil.

>A jet pack operation, send him the crazy Hindu!

I heard it has some distant connection with Korean specifically, in fact.

So far I'm using any Internet resource I can find. Including at least three excellent ones. But overall there isn't a lot to consult, it seems.

Actually the other language I know influenced the decision, but I may be the only speaker of it learning Tamil so I won't say which.
>>
How the FUCK do you roll an R? I'm physically incapable. I'm 12 minutes into Pimleur Russian and I'm already stuck because I've never been able to roll an R. How the fuck is this even a humanly possible sound to produce using only a tongue?
>>
>>76161357
Put your tongue behind your teeth as if you were gonna make an L sound, but keep it relaxed instead of pressing it up against the roof (pressing it against the roof is what you do for an L sound)
Then let out some air to vibrate your tongue, whilst also voicing it

I have no linguistics background so im probably explaining it wrong, my native tongue just has a rolled R
>>
learning a little portuguese bcuz i would love a PT gf and its pretty close from home too, like a 1 hour car ride
>>
I assume this is the place to ask this burning question; why do so many non-Anglos say "How do you call _____" instead of "What do you call _____"? Maybe saying "non-Anglo" is incorrect as for all I know it's correct grammar in British English, but I'm curious
>>
>>76161889
They probably mix it with "how do you say"

And the figure in the other language might be call
>>
>>76161889
I can only say for German
To ask how something is called it's "Wie heißt...", heißen meaning both "to be called" (i.e. a name) and also "to mean [something]"
>>
File: 1483459075962.jpg (43KB, 600x423px) Image search: [Google]
1483459075962.jpg
43KB, 600x423px
learning serbian/croatian for several years now
native speakers usually just tell me to kill myself and creative flowery ways how they fuck me, my family or random things like how they fuck the sun out of my sky
>>
>>76161196
Interesting. Doesn't Tamil have very little resources though? I've also heard of Korean having linguistic links to other languages, even Finnish (??) but there's very little reason to go off of. It's apparently just pure coincidence if they have similarities as it's a language isolate. Which language do you know? Is it another Indian language?

Also have you guys noticed that language isolates tend to sound similar and be agglutinative? Finnish, Korean, Japanese, etc. I wonder why. Damn linguistics fascinate me.
>>
Oi :)
>>
>>76161357
Also adding that some people just can't roll their Rs. I'm Bulgarian and some Bulgarians have to go to speech therapy because they can't make that sound, and just end up sounding goofy all their life. It's kinda sad actually
>>
>>76161357
I'm struggling with ы
>>
>>76164032
It sounds like ъи
uh + iiii (without the h sound in the uh)
>>
File: 1489181012104.jpg (51KB, 652x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489181012104.jpg
51KB, 652x960px
I want to pick up a Slavic language but I can't decide which one.

inb4 Russian
This is a shit language.
>>
File: most-popular-languages-map.jpg (315KB, 1118x576px) Image search: [Google]
most-popular-languages-map.jpg
315KB, 1118x576px
>swedish is the most popular language of study in sweden
>>
>>76164389
Why do you want to speak another slavic language?

t.bh Russian has the most resources, why do you not like it?

I suggest Polish then
>>
>>76164389
Russian is the best language you cunt.
>>
>>76162808
>Doesn't Tamil have very little resources though?

It's been enough so far, especially taking their 'media' into account (e.g. the one in the picture). There's a good, lengthy, classroom style video series on YouTube by a professor, with only 1k views per video by part 10 (out of at least 75), if I recall correctly. You can probably find it, though. Combined with checking other sources for confirmation it's helpful.

I also play a vocabulary game for practice.

>Which language do you know? Is it another Indian language?

Actually I recently took a break from Tamil to improve in that language, thankfully I've prevented complete loss of fluency in it (being bilingual).

It's basically not Indian, it's a Semitic language that, like Tamil, is not an official language in any entire country/government. If you guess it correctly with one guess, I'll say that's it.

I didn't know the fact about language isolates. That's interesting.
>>
>>76164525
You could make a better map by blowing up a paint factory.
>>
>>76164931
The resources argument is not a real argument tho. They all have plenty of textbooks, media, movies, music, books, etc. It's not like you're going to learn the language faster if you have 1000 textbooks for beginners.
>>
>>76164970
Yiddish?

>>76165096
You'll have an easier time finding books and movies, and guides when you don't know what to study next.
>>
>>76165408
It's not the 19th century. It took me a minute to find torrents with seeders for language packs full of textbooks for Slovak and Slovenian. Music and movies and books are everywhere on the Internet.
>>
>>76165824
Alright dude, I meant courses like Duolingo, Memrise, actual good Anki decks etc.

Do you have a slavic language you find most interesting? Serbian sounds very similar to Bulgarian
>>
>>76165408
No, but it's been compared to Yiddish. I imagine Yiddish sounds like it too.
>>
>>76166089
Serbians sounds too easy.
I'm thinking of Polish.
>>
>>76161889
In at least Dutch and Swedish >>76162543
is the reason as well. "What" (wat, vad) refers to a thing or idea, and not a way or idea.
>>
>>76166677
*way or method
>>
>>76161357
A good way to practice: Touch the roof of your mouth lightly with your tongue, keep it there, and just exhale without moving your lips. This will get your mouth used to the movements.
>>
Icelandic, pronunciation still freaks me out because doubled letters (consonants to be specific) sound completely different from how you assume they sound

also, burgers and brits and aussies, how the fuck do I learn to use articles properly? i'm already almost fluent and shit, but still have that nasty feeling that i'm either overusing or missing the damn a's and the's
>>
>>76161357
okay, this might sound stupid, but try to do this:
1. make sound similar to cat's purring
2. then voice it
because immitating cat's purring is the only thing i can think of that makes your tongue vibrate (?) like when you roll your R, but it's silent, so you just need to make it voiced
>>
>>76167236
It's hard to explain. I would say articles are probably one of the most difficult parts of English. If I were you, I wouldn't study them. Just get used to them naturally by reading lots of sentences.
>>
>>76166481
Polish is pretty cool, good luck anon

>>76166223
Hmm, Syriac?
>>
does anyone else feel like they will always sound like an autistic robot in their target languages?
>>
>>76167545
Do you mean accent? or just general autismo
>>
>>76167545
I hate that I can't be as witty or funny in my target language

Either I just don't have the vocab for it, or it takes too long to put a sentence together that the moment is gone
>>
>>76167545
> say what you want in target language in your head
> amazing pronunciation, perfect grammar, charismatic and confident voice
>
> now try to say it aloud
>> sound like an autistic robot

i'm lightly dyslexic when it comes to speaking (even in my native language), but i reee every time i can't say things i'm able to say in my thoughts
>>
File: knuffel.png (51KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
knuffel.png
51KB, 500x382px
>>76167591
general autismo

even if i perfected my accent my word choice etc. would still be autismo

>>76167690
>>76167599
pic related
>>
>>76167690
>say something
>think you sound absolutely perfect
>await astonished impressed looks from the natives
>they give you a weird, amused look
>>
>>76167875
what's your target language?
if it's French, I guess they'd just hate anyone who isn't C1488 in their language
>>
>>76168113
lol yep

why are their standards so high anyway?
>>
>>76168375
They never lost a war.
>>
>>76168419
how are bulgarians towards foreigners speaking their language?

I once said something to a nepalese girl that my friend taught me (it was literally as easy as "my name is ___ " and she gave me a bewildered look like I was god or something
>>
>>76168458
I don't think anyone would give condescending looks or be super impressed or something. I think the first impression would be pic related.
>>
>>76168458
not bulgarian, but
if you try to say something in Russian, even as easy as what you mentioned:
> girls saying "haha, anon, you have such a cute accent! that's a hard language to learn, do you want me to teach you some phrases?"
> "can you say <x>? say RRRRRRR"
> both girls and guys: "hey anon, do you want to learn some swearings? i'd teach ye how to curse like a native speaker"
> "i didn't know foreigners learn russian too! man that's cool"
and so on
basically your friends asking you to repeat some shit (be careful, they can teach you swearwords saying these are usual words) and saying you have a funny accent (that's not considered rude or insulting)
But this applies only if you have english accent, any muslim-tier (aka people from -stan's) accent is annoying as fuck for locals. so if you're not a paki, you'd have grills and maybe make some good friends
>>
>>76168691
look at this asian dude speaking perfect bulgarian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cas8k_DT3BE
>>
>>76168770
>gypsy woman can't resist to chew on sunflower seeds even on camera
>>
Is duolingo good? It seems people hate it for some reason but it works fine. I've learned a lot from it, and it seems to be correct on everything.
>>
>>76149653
>Not linking Antimoon or AJATT
http://www.antimoon.com/
http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-all-the-time-ajatt-how-to-learn-japanese-on-your-own-having-fun-and-to-fluency/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikm_gL7-mZs
>>
>>76169110
Depends on the language. The Norwegian, German and Turkish courses for example are regarded as very very good. Then you have Swahili, Vietnamese and Japanese which are terrible. The ones in between are okay. The biggest issue is that the sentences are pretty useless.

Try Lingvist if it has your language. It's much better
>>
>>76169110
it's fine. very good way to start from nothing but won't get you really far
>>
>>76169110
For European language it's really good actually. Just make sure that you take the sentences they give you and put them into ANKI.

Also, make sure you immerse in your target language. Watch {Target language} youtube videos and just try and get your listening up.

People who have taken the French course say that they can read Wiki articles in French. So i'd say that is pretty good.
>>
How to bring my Spanish up to fluency? I'm high-intermediate right now, understand almost everything when reading, about 65-80% listening. Haven't studied in a year though. I find grammar studies painfully boring and I'm still burned out from high school Spanish but I don't want to forget the language.
>>
>>76169216
Huh I think the Vietnamese course is decent, although it's formal as fuck (same as most other courses I think) and the choice of vocabulary wasn't the best.
>>
>>76169444
Compared to the other courses I mean. There's no audio.
>>
>>76169110
What people forget is that Duolingo should never be used by itself

I mostly used it to keep my vocab up to speed and even then I use Memrise as well
>>
>>76161662
>>76167172
>>76167399

Okay I've taken these suggestions under advisement but my self assessment is that I sound like I'm choking on several dicks while having a seizure.

It's 12:30AM in Australia so it ain't happening now, but I might upload a Vocaroo tomorrow in hopes of further advice.

>>76164032
I feel like I'm doing that one correctly but I wouldn't be surprised if I sound like a retard to a native speaker.
>>
>>76168725
>any muslim-tier (aka people from -stan's) accent is annoying as fuck for locals

Pretty sure sand-nigger accents are annoying as fuck for everyone.
>>
>>76149653
French.

I bought a big book of french poems and can't wait to translate each one. It's really cool. I've never had an appreciation for poetry before, and I think I wouldn't have if I hadn't tried learning french. I can't wait until I can read full books in french. I want to read french philosophy pretty badly.

Also all of this looking into french literature has got me interested in english literature again. I think I might read some shakespeare or maybe wilde. Who knows. It's all very exciting.
>>
>>76171591
>to translate each one
wrong.
If you wanna learn French, you have to understand the poems not to translate them
>>
Has the meme "China will be the next global superpower, I started learning Mandarin" ended?
>>
>>76174382
kinda
>>
>>76149653
Latin and German right now.
My German's okay for a beginner, but my Latin learning is essentially just memorizing paradigms.
Anyone else learning the language here?
>>
>>76160338
M8 stop using Flashcards. Learn vocab in the context of sentences. And use Anki. Even if you don't want to remember something using Anki, it's hard to NOT remember it.

Anki literally just stabs shit into your brain, i don't even know why it works, but it does.
>>
DUoLingo
Russian
French

I am thinking about whether to learn turkish later on or not.
>>
>>76176320
Yeah I did some Japanese Anki a few days ago because I was curious, I've never studied Japanese before nor do I plan to continue, but today those words I learned keep popping up in my mind.

Anyway how would you guys suggest studying a language if you only have an hour a day? I normally just do grammar practice from a book, but I feel it's not efficient. Anki is only like 10 minutes a day
>>
>>76172545
I'll only translate the words I do not know, then I'll read the poems again and again. So far I'm loving french poetry, and I can feel the wheels turning in my head when I read and re-read stanzas again and again. I can feel my literacy developing.
>>
Any Korean fellaz here???
>>
So I can read German around c1 level but I speak at a2 at best. No one I know speaks German and no one is learning either. Given that I'm a turbo poorfag who'd never have the chance to visit Europe this isn't a huge issue but I want to improve. Is talking to myself out loud fine? What bothers me about this is that I have no means to correct my pronunciation/accent. Sure, I listen to audiobooks and watch videos in German to try and beef up my listening which may in some sense help with my pronunciation/accent problems but I can't help but feel I'm missing an integral part of language learning.

Minimal question, mostly venting. Anyone else have similar issues? It seems as if most learning methods/courses emphasize reading to the detriment of the other language skills.
>>
>>76178553
it's not like you wouldn't have an abundance of way to get some speaking exercise over the internet
>>
>>76178636
I only know interpals but that's just tinder international edition. What other options are there?
>>
>>76178730
Tandem is awesome. I signed up and immediately started getting people to talk to.

You can also try HelloTalk but Tandem is better because there are no paywalls
>>
Want to learn Italian because muh heritage.

Want to learn Chinese because it is so exotic.

Want to learn Russian because Central Asia history.

Want to learn Turkish because logical and agglutinative..

Want to learn German because i don't trust Germans.

Being an anglo fucking sucks.
>>
>>76178931
Thanks, anon. Tandem sounds best with no paywall so I'll look into that first.
>>
>>76179061
iktf anon
I keep getting wanderlust and wanting to learn new langs.

Have you considered Korean? It's got that exoticness + asian history + agglutinative. Also the alphabet is easy as piss and there's a ton of media.

but maybe you should start with italian as it's your heritage.
>>
worthy of learning
>English (UK)
>Spanish (Spain)
>French
>German
>Mandarin
>Japanese
>Russian
>Lojban
>Lisp
>Erlang
>Elixir
>>
>>English (UK)
fuck off
>>
File: 1495098027369.jpg (38KB, 800x715px) Image search: [Google]
1495098027369.jpg
38KB, 800x715px
>>76179061
just pick one lad! german is the easiest
>>
>>76179423
American dialect is Ir*sh farmer junk.
>>
>tfw gf wants me to learn russian for her and drop spanish

>tfw scared of russian because of how hard it is

Spanish is so comfy for me I'm over the beginner rump
>>
>>76181369
You can learn both. Use Lingvist and Duolingo for Russian. Since you have a Russian speaker to help you, it won't be so bad as self studying.
>>
>>76181369
>scared of russian because of how hard it is
Russians like to pretend their language is some unreachable mountain peak or some shit like that. Don't listen to them. It's an Indo-European language, it won't take you more time to learn than for example Spanish. And since you have someone to practise with it's gonna be super easy.

Also your gf sounds like a bitch if she's actually insisting on something like that.
>>
>>76181926
>not wanting a russian domme to culturally dominate you
>>
>>76181414
I've learned the alphabet but as the anon said before the Pimsleur completely fucked me up. I do lingvist and a bit of book study. have I been doing Spanish wrong?

O-okay I'll give it a go.
>>76181926
I'm not sure man, at least for Spanish a lot of the words are similar to English and it has the same alphabet pretty much.

She's not a bitch or anything lol, just wants me to appreciate her culture more. And she's quite fiery I-I better do what she says.
>>
>>76181926
Russian is easy for Bulgarians, the vocab is almost identical. For Brits it's different
>>
>he doesn't know how to roll his R's
kek

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1tK5bO5qIR4
>>
>>76182336
thanks for the non-explanation you fkcing nigge
>>
>>76182336
you sound like a cute alien species
>>
>>76182362
>he doesn't know how to roll his R's

>>76182379
I tried to sound like a bird but it didn't really work out so I added some reverb
>>
>>76182379
and this one's without reverb

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1XwY67urM0p
>>
>>76182598
Yeah I guess you sound like a bird or something.
>>
>>76182179
>Russian is easy for Bulgarians, the vocab is almost identical. For Brits it's different
No, it's not. That's like saying Brits can learn Swedish easily.
>>
>>76169419
Try to use it. Even if it's just a little here on /int/
>>
Btw, does anyone know if the turbo nasal voice the Ferengi Grand Magus has in Star Trek: DS9 is "natural" or is it edited in post-production?
>>
>>76182693
>>76182693
>No, it's not. That's like saying Brits can learn Swedish easily.
Heт, этo нe тaк. Этo кaк cкaзaть, чтo бpитaнцы мoгyт лeгкo выyчить швeдcкий.

Translate this sentence to Bulgarian.
>>
>>76182946
Пaк нищo нe cи paзбpaл.
>>
>>76182838
derp, Grand Nagus***
>>
>>76182946
He, нe e тaкa. Toвa e вce eднo дa кaжeш, чe бpитaнцитe мoгaт лecнo дa нayчaт швeдcки.

Understood everything, Russian is easy. Brits would not understand Swedish that easily
>>
>>76177948
I suggest you Jacques Prévert.
There's also Guillaume Apollinaire if you like caligrams
>>
>>76179061
Russia isn't in Central Asia
>>
>>76188108

Most academic work on Central Asian history are in Russian though. Read a book by a legit historian who specialises in central asia and 75%+ of their sources will be in Russian.

I wish it was a Turkic language though.
>>
>>76183305
>Russian is easy
How is it easy exactly? I'm Assuming English is your first language too. I don't like how the word order of things are not strict.
>>
>>76171033
i FUCKED DIED THANKS
>>
>>76164525
where the FUCK are they studying italian at on this map?
>>
>>76178553
I studied in Germany for a year a couple of years ago. Was assessed as C1 before I got home but I don't know anyone to practice with and my German friends always insist on English (I recently started offering to proofread their English papers if they just speak to me in German ffs) so I feel like I've plateaued. Are there any specifically German communities near where you live maybe?

>pronunciation/accent
Maybe see if there are videos on German phonetics online

>>76178931
How long does it take to get an invite for Tandem?
>>
>>76166223
Coptic?
Assyrian?
>>
>>76178252
maybe me, I still haven't begun
>>
File: 1483634719039.png (477KB, 785x1031px) Image search: [Google]
1483634719039.png
477KB, 785x1031px
Bump
>>
>>76195604
is there something like this for arabic
>>
File: 1489715759082.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1489715759082.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
Just started learning Portuguese the other day, for once I actually feel motivated to learn. I really hope I keep the motivation.
>>
File: Uuuueeeeeeiiiiiiirrrghh.png (3KB, 104x83px) Image search: [Google]
Uuuueeeeeeiiiiiiirrrghh.png
3KB, 104x83px
>*blocks your pronunciation*
>>
>>76195604
This is cool, thanks anon. I'm glad to see Pimsleur is listed as "advanced" because I started with it and it's kicking my ass.
>>
I started learning Mandarin but I need to find a better language partner. Fucker contradicts half the shit I learn and I can't even be sure he's right since he's not really fluent. This language is frustrating enough already.
>>
>>76190553
My first language is Bulgarian. The vocab is almost identical, the grammar is similar (except cases, and even then you can find remnants of cases in Bulgarian so they're easy to grasp), and the word order is like Bulgarian's too.

It just sounds like a soft version of Bulgarian. The spelling is the worst part.
>>
Threadly reminder to not fall for the Duolingo meme
>>
>>76199699
The problem with Duolingo, at least from what I can tell having a go at the basic lessons of a few different languages, is that it just starts throwing words and short sentences at you right off the bat before teaching you any basics.

It doesn't teach you alphabets, and it doesn't teach you pronunciation rules (such as where pronunciation of a letter changes based on the letter preceding or following it). It any rules regarding vowel emphasis either. You end up learning some letters through repetition, and then suddenly you run into words where that same letter is pronounced differently and you have no fucking idea why. It's extremely frustrating.

I'm getting the impression it's not really supposed to be used as an absolute starting point for anything. Seems like it's supposed to be used maybe one or two weeks in to learning a language once you understand the basic rules.
>>
>>76200484
>It any rules

It foregoes any rules, rather.
>>
>>76191838
>>76167495
If it's my native language (besides English), then the chances of it being Coptic are slim, to put it one way.

>>76190935
>>
File: harold.jpg (542KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
harold.jpg
542KB, 3000x2000px
Daily reminder that we can all achieve our language goals if we keep trying. Don't give up and make sure you practice EVERY DAY, even if it is for only 15 minutes.

Protips:
1. Don't study grammar exclusively
2. Duolingo is shit, avoid it.
3. Learn sentences instead of individual words so you can learn in context.
>>
>>76201451
duolingo's not shit, just that it will never be enough on itself.
>>
>>76201451
How is linguist?
>>
>>76201538
If you mean lingvist, I don't know because I have never used it.
>>
When should one start using anki? Should I be adding sentences and words to anki decks basically from day one?
>>
Bumping with additional resources that couldn't fit in the OP

https://pastebin.com/ZrY22qe0
>>
>>76178252
what resources are you using for learning korean?
>>
File: file.png (2KB, 73x52px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2KB, 73x52px
>>76201451
Duolingo isn't shit it is a great tool, just make sure you incorporate it with reading books and other media and you are good to go.
>>
>>76149653
Anki makes Duolingo, Memrise, etc. completely pointless.
Why do fags keep promoting that other shit?
>>
>>76201451
If duolingo is shit what do you propose?
>>
File: Lingvist.jpg (19KB, 293x415px) Image search: [Google]
Lingvist.jpg
19KB, 293x415px
>>76201538
>>76201570
I finished the French course and still practice with it. Found it really helped me to improve.
>>
>>76161357
>Pimleur
Oh for fuck sake, where do you idiots come from?
>>
>>76161889
It's worth keeping in mind that American English isn't English.
>>
>>76203416
I missed a fucking S because my chink tablet came with a shitty unresponsive keyboard, big deal.
>>
>>76203377
because Anki can be harder to use and has a way less friendly interface than Memrise.
>>
File: lectric-jackhammer.jpg (115KB, 682x1023px) Image search: [Google]
lectric-jackhammer.jpg
115KB, 682x1023px
>>76161357
put the tip of your tongue touching the top of your mouth right behind your upper teeth, then let the air out at the same time that you make your tongue vibrate while you keep pressing hard.
Like a machine like pic related.
>>
So what's the best app I can use on my phone during my hour train commute?

Want to learn either Japanese (Meme language), or French (Actually would be useful).
>>
>>76204019
Anki? Idk
>>
>>76203401
impressive, I just finished exams so I had to pause. It's hell getting started again. I'm at 57% mark and honestly my reading proficiently improved a lot. not sure about speaking or understanding
>>
>>76204406
Yeah, I took a break recently too and my repeat stack is huge.

http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/

This is a really nice site to supplement it, I think.
>>
>>76204019
For French, Lingvist is brilliant. Supplement with Memrise and Duolingo. Duolingo has a Japanese course that's new, but it's not too good.

If you're learning Chinese, ChineseSkill and HelloChinese and very good (like Duolingo for Chinese).

>>76204098
Yeah but it's like $20-30 for the app
>>
>>76204597
I'm learning spanish on lingvist, but thanks for the site anyway mate.
>>
>>76202688
Yes. Add sentences, not words. Learning individual words without context just makes thing harder. You should only put sentences into Anki in my opinion.

>>76203383
Learning sentences through Anki or memrise. Watch and read lots of media. Speak with natives on an app such as HelloTalk.
>>
Spanish, French, and Mandarin. I may start learning Korean or Japanese in a couple years from now.
>>
>>76204688
I forgot that there were other languages on it for a moment lel

>>76204628
Anki is free, isn't it? Am I thinking of the same thing? I have the desktop and android version and I didn't pay for either.
>>
>>76204911
Desktop is free, mobile is not
>>
>start to learn russian

what the fuck
>>
>>76205017
There are free mobile alternatives that are essentially the same, though. I'm using AnkiDroid and it's the same as the PC version basically.
>>
File: 1494734090055.jpg (104KB, 270x400px) Image search: [Google]
1494734090055.jpg
104KB, 270x400px
>>76204858
Tried anki not my thing, I'm using memrise, duolingo and trying lingvist
I could talk with my gf but all we do is eat,fuck and watch netflix
Duolingo is so bloody time consuming but I dont want to lose my 45 day streak
>>
>>76205031
Haha I have been having some trouble with that letter also. I think it's a mix between the English 'i' or 'ui' sound.
>>
>>76162634
>learning serbian
kys
>>
>>76204858
>Add sentences, not words

Well so far I've just been working through Princeton Russian on memrise and it has only been nouns thus far. I guess I'll start using Anki when Memrise moves on to basic sentences.
>>
>>76205031
but it's easy
>>
>>76205204
Says the Belarusian.

>>76162634
lel why are you learning Serbian?
>>
>>76205252
http://vocaroo.com/i/s063imJue6hm
>>
>>76205381
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s063imJue6hm
sounds like ui or the French oui
>>
>>76205017
I dont know what are you talking about, I just downloaded AnkiDroid for my phone and it's free.

>>76204628
Anki is a free app with free desktop version too.
>>
is there any good shit for arabic
>>
>>76205407
The one on iOS is the official app by the developers of anki so they charge. The one on android isn't official but it's pretty much the same thing lol
>>
File: слон_6.png (20KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
слон_6.png
20KB, 650x650px
>>76205031
>he doesn't know about the soft consonants yet
>>
If I learn a language such as Persian or Russian, do I have to write it in its designated script?

For example if I use the Phoenician alphabet to say nam-e-man anon (I think that's proper spelling) is something like that intelligible for Americanized Persian speakers?

I know that there is really no point to it but is it at least possible?
>>
>>76208730
Are consonants only soft at the end of words or are there rules that make them soft in the middle of words as well? I mean when ь isn't used, that is.

Also what is the fucking deal with o? I can't find any logic behind when you use the stressed version and when you use the unstressed version. Is o generally unstressed whenever there's another vowel present?

I mean it's pronounced completely differently in oн as compared to oнa/oни. Even in пoнимaю the o sounds more like "uh". I just can't figure out the rule behind its pronunciation. I'm hoping duolingo/memrise get to that eventually because I'm just guessing at these sorts of rules so far and they're mostly just teaching me nouns.
>>
>>76208730
>tfw words sound completely different depending on the letter position
I want to cry
>>76209010
learn the alphabet, I'm a complete novice but the alphabet took me like 2-3 hours. She wrote to me in English with Cyrillic and I could understand it so could work both ways.
>>
>>76150019
Yes. Swedish, Dari and Russian.

-First is easy and fun but not useful at all
-Next is somewhat difficult (easier because I have a native speaker to help me) and somewhat useful for speaking w/ family, going to need it if I ever want to travel to Afghanistan
-Last is very difficult but also very useful

I'm really not doing this for any reason except to fill up my time and enhance my language learning skills so I've been doing Swedish Duolingo for some time but still having doubts about whether or not I should quit while I'm ahead and do Dari.
>>
>>76209070
If the o isn't the stressed vowel in the word, pronounce it as "uh". Except in some borrowed words like мeтpo (metro) where the o is pronounced as normal.

For example in пoнимaю, the a is stressed, so o is pronounced uh.

You might want to look at resources with the stressed letters marked till you get used to it.
>>
>>76209095
>I want to cry
But you have same shit compare tough and though. Not even one same phoneme
>>
>>76209178
>мeтpo

Shit, ignore that, I meant paдиo.
>>
>>76209070
>rules that make them soft in the middle of words as well
Yep, before e я и ё
>>
>>76205252
I visited Belgrade few years ago and had a blast. Met lots of super friendly people some of them I consider good friends now and have regular contact with. I have been back a few times already. Serbia clearly has it's problems, but from an outsider or tourist perspective or however you want to call it, it's a beautiful country. I just started with the small things to not be completely helpless but then I started to take courses to learn more. I like the language.
>>
>>76209010
>If I learn a language such as Persian or Russian, do I have to write it in its designated script?
What a stupid question to ask.
>>76209070
>>76209070
>Are consonants only soft at the end of words or are there rules that make them soft in the middle of words as well? I mean when ь isn't used, that is.
Ч and Щ are always soft.
Ж, Ш and Ц are always hard (except the word дpoжжи "yeast" and some loanwords like жюpи "jury")
All other consonants are softened before E (mostly, except some loanwords), Ё, И, Ю, Я. "Some loandwords" is a bit tricky because there's a shitton of words borrowed from English, German, French which are commonly used and you should remember when the consonant is softened before E and when not.

E.g.: тecт [тэcт] test (hard), aптeкapь [aпт'экap'] apothecary
>>
>>76209383
But could you answer it jackass?
>>
>>76209178
>You might want to look at resources with the stressed letters marked till you get used to it

Unfortunately duolingo and memrise don't use the stress marker. I guess I'll just have to start listening harder for it. Is there any global rule defining which is the stressed vowel? For example something along the lines of "if a vowel follows this consonant, it gets stress priority over a vowel following this other consonant". Or is it just a matter of being familiar with each word?
>>
>>76209452
If your lazy ass won't bother to learn writing then you gotta have huge troubles reading and speaking.
>>
>>76209512
>Or is it just a matter of being familiar with each word?
This. Like in English, there are no rules for it. Well, there are but they are quite specific and complex.
>>
>>76209315
>>76209383
Thanks guys, this is helpful and it explains some of the weird unexpected pronunciations on some of the nouns I've been learning on memrise.
>>
>>76209547
Why did you imply I wouldn't learn the important script as well? No shit I have to learn Cyrillic to speak Russian, and as >>76209095 said it's easy. I'm just asking if it was possible.
>>
>>76209675
Then why bother with silly questions like this? Gosh you're insufferable.
>>76209660
You're welcome, mate, feel free to ask more.
>>
>>76209512
I have no clue about global rules, I haven't studied that. I know the ë is always stressed so o is always uh in those words.

Oн isn't pronounced with "uh" because it only has one vowel. In oнa, a is stressed so o is uh.

Though here are some texts which have marked stress: http://www.russianforfree.com/texts.php

it becomes second nature after a while, you get used to the flow of the language.
>>
>>76209727
Fuck you nigger
If it's any consolation I'm Tajik trying to subvert you drunk fucks and learn your language
>>
>>76209070
>I mean when ь isn't used, that is.
Well, sometimes a consonant is pronounced soft simply because the consonant after it is soft (like in пecня [pesʲnʲı], лёгкий [lʲoxʲkʲı] and вecть [vʲesʲtsʲ]), but it only works for certain sound combinations in certain positions. Google "accимиляция пo мягкocти" to know more.

"ь" can also exist in the middle of a word as well btw (бopьбa [barʲba], тьмa [tsʲma], peзьбa [rʲızʲba] etc)
>>
>>76209879
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_phonology#Assimilative_palatalization
>>76209799
>I'm Tajik trying
Zaban-e tajiki baladi?
>>
>>76209095
>I want to cry
English native has spoken.
>>
>>76210081
I don't speak Tajik either you fag
>>
>>76210347
>calls himself tajik
>doesn't speak the language
>>
>>76210419
>>76210347
This. How does the disappointment in your parents' eyes look? Learn Tajik first.
>>
Any good sources for Breton?
Has anybody tried learning it?
>>
>>76210539
I love /int/ and their obscure language goals.

Having said that I kind of want to learn Hawaiian lel. What resources are there?
>>
>>76210530
>>76210419
Meh, he's a second generation diaspora, no need to learn that language. Fuck patriotic muh-herritage diaspora faggots, they're the worst.
>>
File: 055.jpg (63KB, 640x905px) Image search: [Google]
055.jpg
63KB, 640x905px
>want to learn a dozen languages
>realize to actually know one properly you have to invest ~1000 hours of studying
>>
>>76210971
What better things do you have to do?
>>
>>76210861
https://www.google.gr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ulukau.org/elib/collect/hawaiiangrammar/index/assoc/D0.dir/book.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi13Zjr1cfUAhXHIMAKHVD_AZ0QFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNEHCbrF_EtM4izydWdV_neMF7hROw&sig2=gm0HiU2hLWv-m-K958miLA

I have also found a Niuean grammar.
>>
>>76211045
9-5 job, studying other things for my future business, trying to write a decent historical novel.
Luckily I don't have any friends or a girlfriends to steal way from my time haha lol
>>
>>76210927
I guess, but say you had a kid in another country, wouldn't you want them to learn Bulgarian? To communicate with family and stuff.

>>76210971
>start learning a language
>get distracted by another language
>this keeps happening
>tfw language wanderlust

>>76211136
hey thanks man

>>76211155
What business are you trying to get into? I've been reading up on real estate. Since i'm bulgarian (inb4 diaspora comments) I might invest in some cheap beachside house and renovate it in Varna or some shit.

I used to write too. good luck my man.
>>
File: HappyPig.gif (997KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
HappyPig.gif
997KB, 160x160px
>>76205601
I see, thanks for the info.
>>
>>76211409
>I guess, but say you had a kid in another country, wouldn't you want them to learn Bulgarian? To communicate with family and stuff.
I'm not sure actually. I believe that if you actually go to live to the other side of the world you should let go of muh heritage. I don't mean going to study or work for several years, I mean going intentionally to start a new life there. Either integrate and integrate your kids or you're shit.

>What business are you trying to get into?
It's a rather specific thing and I'm not very comfortable sharing it. Not because I'm afraid of someone stealing it (as if), it's something superstitious, maybe.
>>
>>76211729
>Either integrate and integrate your kids or you're shit.
It isn't necessary to let go of your mother tongue to integrate. I moved to the UK at age 5 with my parents and still speak perfect Bulgarian, doesn't take much to maintain it, and my English is 10/10, no accent, no one knows where I'm actually from. I've integrated. I find it sad when I hear mothers speaking to their kids in broken English, when it would be best to speak to them in their own language. They'll learn English from school and their environment anyway.

>Not because I'm afraid of someone stealing it (as if), it's something superstitious, maybe.
Alright then, I'm the same lol. Good luck anyways
>>
>>76210927
not just that but I'm only 40% Tajik, I just wanted to say something to bother the Russian
And yeah we're annoying but you can't blame us, identitarianism is both part of the human spirit and something foreign to us
>>
>>76210539
Why? this language is dying.
And all the resources are in French, but there's an American who speak it
>>
>>76214938
Why not, I like endangered languages.
>>
>>76195604
Are there charts like this for other languages?
>>
>>76216782
Bamping for this
>>
>The Foreign Service Institute language difficulty rankings are an indication of how long a native English speaker would need to reach proficiency in a number of different languages.

>Category I: 23-24 weeks (575-600 hours)
>Languages closely related to English
Afrikaans
Danish
Dutch
French
Italian
Norwegian
Portuguese
Romanian
Spanish
Swedish

>Category II: 30 weeks (750 hours)
>Languages similar to English
German

>Category V: 88 weeks (2200 hours)
>Languages which are exceptionally difficult for native English speakers
Arabic
Cantonese (Chinese)
Mandarin (Chinese)
Japanese
Korean
>>
>>76219698
I wonder how different that would be for a Slavic language speaker
>>
>>76221349
Probably it's going to be just the Slavic languages in category I and then the original list gets down with one category in the same order.
>>
>>76149653

How do I know If I should buy Assimil Basic French or Assmil Using French? I have been studying French independently for several months and don't want to buy something that won't help me.
>>
>>76195667
i have had more motivation to learn Br Portuguese than any other language

Currently trying to figure out a good schedule to learn and find a class to take for my next trip to Brazil
>>
What Japanese learning resources are especially recommended? Preferably something without Romaji.
>>
>>76195604
Duolingo is not that helpful for me in russian, it feels like memorising not learning.
>>
>>76169419
Strike up convos like an american would in English. It's how I keep it going, mostly thru my waiter job.
>>
>>76222904
Look in the /djt/ threads, there are a ton of resources there. There's a main guide posted which is very good
>>
For listening do you prefer to listen to mass amounts of fast native speed stuff (like radio) with fairly low comprehension (50-80%) or do you stick to stuff that isn't too fast where you have high (90%+) comprehension until you can get near 100% and then switch to the fast stuff.
>>
>>76224450
very good question
bumping for answers from experiencedbros
>>
>>76210539
there are some grammars in the OP I think, and the assimil sans peine book of it is on libgen.
>>
>Finally think I'm getting a handle on reading Russian
>discover vowel reduction changes based on an unstressed vowel's proximity to the stressed vowel
>>
>>76228526
iktf
>>
>>76224450
why not both?

If I'm not paying much attention, I'll put the radio on to have as background and hear what they say, if I want to put all my attention I'll use something slower first, or music with lyrics... that kind of stuff.
>>
File: Nasal vowels.png (256KB, 1280x592px) Image search: [Google]
Nasal vowels.png
256KB, 1280x592px
>>
>>76211729
b-b-but we muh heritage in the US
>>
>>76178553
I'm a turbo poorfag but I applied to fellowships to Germany

literally German Embassy is paying young people to go over and play in Germany for a week. All you have to do is make propaganda for Germans and Americans to be best friends forever
>>
My library offers this language learning program for free, Transparent, and so far I like the variety of exercises. Has anyone else used this and/or had success with it?
>>
>>76235708
I haven't tried it, but just to add there's also a program called Mango some libraries offer for free.
>>
>initially start to learn Japanese
>know the alphabets
>started with the basics and just did not feel into it even though I have a million resources at home
>end up hearing a Lithuanian name I liked the sound of, did a bit of research then decided I will pick this up instead
>love it
>now occasionally get badgered to learn Hungarian
>deciding between that and Russian

I am torn. I should pick up a more 'practical' language to learn but I am enjoying Lithuanian too much, it is definitely kicking off my language learning.

I do not know how to decide out of Japanese, Hungarian or Russian though. Kind of random languages but people say Russian is a fun language to learn and Hungarian is backwards as fuck. Japanese I should learn for more practical use but when I tried initially I did not really enjoy it.
>>
>>76238385
You're never gonna stick to learning a language if you don't enjoy the language itself. It requires too much dedication and you're almost certainly going to quit if you're learning a language you dislike just because it's "practical".

For what it's worth I did Japanese for eight years in school and rather than building on that foundation I'm now doing Russian instead because it IS fun (and Japanese is not).

I'd say stick with Lithuanian because you enjoy it. Once you've got the experience of learning a second language under your belt then you'll be in a better position to decide what you're looking for in a third.
>>
>>76238493

Thanks; that is sound advice.

There were a number of languages I was thinking about but learning Lithuanian had actually helped me out in other ways too, I am sure others may have felt the same when they learned a new language.

The initial anxiety I get learning a new language I need to overcome though, It is hard to express how much I wish to learn and it can be a bit of a downer.
>>
>>76238385
Definitely continue with Lithuanian.

I studied languages I didn't enjoy because they were more practical or popular, like Spanish and Russian. But I was so bored. All that time I just missed studying Korean so I picked it up again and I love it so much and it's so fun, I don't care about the reasons why I shouldn't learn it.

You're more likely to stick to Lithuanian. If you pick another language you'll get bored and drop it, having wasted all that time.

What Lithuanian resources are you using anyway?
>>
>>76195604
>>76195634
>>76196502
>>76216782
>>76223463
I made this with the help of a few other anons last summer. Was hoping it would spur the creation of other flowcharts for more languages. Sadly, nobody made any. It always depresses me that /lit/, /his/, /pol/, /g/, etc get things done and organize irl but /int/ doesn't do much apart from /lang/ generals where we discuss picking a language and what resources are available for them. It would overjoy me to see people take language learning, flagging, geography, etc more seriously on this board
>>
>>76239394
As someone complete language-obsessed, I dream of a day 4chan will have an active /lang/ board.
>>
I don't know how Anki does it, but it's fantastic. I've been having trouble remembering vocab for Korean but using Anki for even just a few days has helped me so much.

PROTIP: Use a deck with SENTENCES and audio, not just words. Context is extremely important.
>>
>>76240355
have you tried lingvist or memrise? How do they compare?
>>
>>76240463
Been using the Memrise deck from howtostudykorean.com (they have brilliant grammar lessons btw). It's pretty good, in a more game-y, attractive format.

Lingvist doesn't have Korean, but I use it for Russian. It's also very good. It's quite new so improving every day. The best course there is the french one.

Anki is like the gold standard though, they have really perfected their spaced repetition. The others have better interfaces but Anki has the best method imo.
>>
>>76240585
Thanks mate, I'm >>76223463 I'm looking for something to replace duolingo with. I'll give Anki a try for russian, could you tell me a good beginner deck?
>>
>>76238385
Language learning is a hobby. Is shouldn't matter if the language is practical or not. You study it because you enjoy the language for some reason.
>>
>>76240689
here are all the russian decks: https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/russian

Russian sentences: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1555716615
Russian verbs: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/822208674
Russian vocab (though no audio -- try finding the pronunciation using Forvo): https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/890915002
>>
>>76240689
Also, m8 get Tandem to speak with natives. Russians are actually really helpful with teaching you their language. A small tip though, they use this bracket ) a lot like ))) everywhere. It means :)
>>
>>76239624
Same here, or at least to have more threads like the DJT for other languages too, it would be fantastic.
>>
>>76241785
I'm blessed with a qt russian gf that actively wants me to learn her language. So I go to her for problems, but I'll use it for Spanish though.

Thanks again for the decks mate
>>
>>76242487
your welcome m8. also, try babadum.com. it's a really attractive vocab learning site for a ton of languages, and it also has russian.
>>
>>76240355
>PROTIP: Use a deck with SENTENCES and audio, not just words. Context is extremely important.

Those premade 10k decks are great. They not only start with the most common words/sentences and have audio but they often have the same sentence multiple times but with slightly different meanings.
>>
>>76242641
for Russian?

So far for Korean at least I've been using "Korean Grammar Sentences by Evita" and noting down words I don't know on Evernote. Evita has other Korean decks which are equally brilliant.

For spanish there's one called "spanish 7500 intermediate/advanced sentences" which is also great, it has that similar sentence/different meaning part and the sentences are funny.
>>
German is, objectively, the best language. It is highly logical, extremely consistent and the grammar is so beautiful. One of the few beautiful modern languages that make use of declension. Please learn German, guys :-)
>>
>>76243887
Yeah I want to learn it at some point. It has some great resources too. I found it a bit boring though
>>
>>76243887
Learn Greek or Russian, they have all those features.
>>
File: otto_von_thinking.png (209KB, 566x650px) Image search: [Google]
otto_von_thinking.png
209KB, 566x650px
Good afternoon lads.

I want to learn Russian and Dutch, but I have a few problems, or questions.

The first one is, if it is possible to efficiently learn two languages at ones. I assume not, so I have to decide wich language I should learn first. Since Dutch is not that hard to learn for a German who already speaks English, learning Russian first would be the right approach, because I probably need more time. What is your opinion on that issue?

The second thing is, I don't really know how to start.
I already know a few terms and sentences, but I don't have the opportunity to take lessons since I am in my last year at school and don't have that much time.
Just learning vocabulary without being able to use it properly seems a bit odd to me, but I don't have experiences with learning a language on my own.
How did you start and which helps did you use?
>>
>>76153530
Yes
>>
>>76243887
> It is highly logical, extremely consistent
literally every language is like this though.
>>
>>76150019
I'm currently learning Indonesian. Its really easy to learn. The grammar is so simple. It basically takes you a day or two to learn the grammar and after that you can just build up on your vocabulary.
>>
>>76244113
Ksero ligo ellinika kai eho spoodasei Attikee Greek sto Skoleio (einai e kaleeteri glossa).

Too bad no one speaks it anymore... :-(
>>
>>76167236
Articles are just something you have to get a feel for. Not even English speakers can agree where to use them. For example, brits would say "I'm going to hospital" while Americans say "the hospital". It can get confusing, but you'll get used to it if you read enough and watch a lot of tv shows in English.
>>
File: 1471774572933.jpg (81KB, 419x480px) Image search: [Google]
1471774572933.jpg
81KB, 419x480px
>>76243887
>It is highly logical, extremely consistent
>>
>>76244271
>>76244515
German is structured like human thinking: if the few rules that exist in the language are applied consistently there are no arbitrary restrictions like "sentences must be linear" or "sentences must contain a specified number of clauses to be sensible." You do not come across obscure edge cases or caveats present in nearly every Romance language for example
>>
Any tips for developing a Norwegian accent? I'm progressing fairly quick in it, but native speakers say my American accent makes me sound retarded.
>>
>>76244701
just imagine you're gagging on a huge cock
>>
>>76244733
Sounds about right
>>
>>76203444
Neither is Scottish English. I wonder if we're even speaking the same language half of the time. I had to have subtitles on when I watched Trainspotting.
>>
>>76244412
Cool, modern Greek is a lot different than ancient Greek though.
>>
>>76244220
It's not super efficient but if they're linguistically different enough from each other, and you're doing them at different levels, it should be alright. So start off with Russian and progress a bit before starting Dutch.

As for starting from the beginning alone, I'm not much help because I took lessons in my target language for a few years before I graduated and had to do it alone.
This >>76195604 has a guide for Russian but I think instead of Duolingo, start with Memrise or Lingvist. Then add in resources as you go, including a grammar book or two
>>
>>76182336
sounds like a retarded cat
>>
You get used to it lol, bar the slang I can understand it.
>tfw taking foreigners to see T2
>>
I was going to learn French or Spanish, but what good will it do for me? I live in a small area in northeast usa. I'll never use it.
>>
>>76246696
it's fun and it's cool and it will make you smarter
>>
How do you decide which language to learn? There are a few that interest me but geographically I'm so isolated from most countries that it dissuades me from learning them
There are a few that I like the look of but they're pretty tough and ideally I'd like a native speaker to practice with/a way to immerse myself in the culture and I don't know how I'd go about doing that
>>
>>76247033
Just try languages you find pleasing to listen to until one of them feels fun to learn.

Unfortunately a lot of languages that are popular in other western countries don't really see much use in Australia. But that shouldn't dissuade you from learning something you enjoy.
>>
>>76247033
Some Asian language maybe, you're closer to them.
>>
>>76247033
Australia has lots of immigrants right? Greek Lebanese Chink Viet communities.
>>
>>76196324
It is not that hard.
It's kind of a mix between i and ü.
>>
File: Untitled.png (113KB, 916x1099px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
113KB, 916x1099px
>>76239394
Made something for Swedish real quick, didn't know what to put for those two spots so I put Nobel, Swedish letters and en, ett frequency for words lmao
>>
I wasn't expecting this many people to be interested in Russian. I've been kind of switching between Japanese, Russian and German and later on I decided to drop German even though it felt like the easiest one of the three because I didn't feel like it was going to be useful for me.
Currently reading through the penguin russian course, adding new vocab to my anki deck and doing the pushkin institute course.
Also do russians appreciate people trying to learn their language? do you hate it or do you just simple not give a fuck? I read somewhere that russians like it when foreigners are trying to learn it.
>>
>>76244733
that's for Danish actually
>>
>>76162820
Olá
>>
File: 1497817557026.jpg (40KB, 534x627px) Image search: [Google]
1497817557026.jpg
40KB, 534x627px
Good afternoon lad.

So here is the thing.
I want to learn a new language, mostly from an EU country because there's no need to be accepted. I'm also "dumb" for studies in school, so I don't have a higher degree.
Somehow I menaged to learn English all by myself self using just youtube videos and memes.

What language should I learn?

Also, is HelloTalk a good app to practice with others?
I already use Interpals but some people are really hard to talk to.
>>
>>76250548
spanish?
french?
german?
>>
>>76250548
German my man, I'd be willing to practise with you
>>
>>76250621
>>76250726
I've actually wanted to learn german, but on interpals germans and Scandinavians are known for not responding so I couldn't practice German.

By using duolingo I just had difficulty in saying words like milch (milk)

>>76250726
Good. I guess that I have to start learning it again
>>
>>76250548
German, French and Spanish have very good resources.

Tandem is best for language exchange. It's completely free (HelloTalk has paywalls) and no dating bullshit like Interpals
>>
>>76250548
HelloTalk is great for practicing.

I would recommend German, Russian, or French
>>
>>76248260
Oh my god dude you are fucking amazing, how do you go about making one of these? Do you just use paint?
And do you just list the resources you used to get to your level or do you use other people's suggestions as well?
>>
como se usa anki?

de verdad vale mi tiempo?
>>
>>76251431
Yea I just used paint.
I only listed the resources that I used, wouldn't want to misguide people desu.
>>
>>76251626
neden isveççe hocam
>>
>>76246696
Learn French. You can talk to some of the Canadians that come across the border up there.
>>
>>76251639
İlk başladığımda onun kaynaklarına erişebiliyordum(gittiğim yerde internet yoktu) ben de onla başladım onla devam ediyorum, bakalım şimdilik güzel gidiyor.Sen dil öğreniyor musun?
>>
>>76251743
ispanyolcayı b2'ye çıkartmaya çalışıyorum
bi de fransızca veya almanca öğrenmem gerek, ispanyolcam var diye fransızcaya daha yakınım ama hala tam karar veremiyorum
>>
>>76251812
Kolay gelsin xocam.Niye Fransızca veya Almanca öğrenmek zorundasın ki?Okul mu istiyor?
>>
File: 1489982493841.jpg (30KB, 680x544px) Image search: [Google]
1489982493841.jpg
30KB, 680x544px
>>76251930
>>76251812
>>76251743
i can almost understand you
>>
>>76248260
we should make an image like this for every popular language
>>
>>76249982
I didn't even know that so many people want to learn Russian before coming to /int/. If we met, I would gladly help you to pronounce Ы and also hug you.
>>
>>76251930
aynen
>>76251990
learning turkish?
>>
>>76251990
Adamsın ADAM!!!!Çalışmalarında başarılar reis.

>>76252018
Start making one right now for the language you are studying desu.Ameribro is right we need to get active and do some shit.
>>
Can someone give me an idea how you got started with learning a language?

Also I need resources for Russian.
Would be happy if someone could help me.

(My "main post": >>76244220)
>>
>>76252044
yeah
>>
>>76252160
>>76195604
>>
>>76242766
>So far for Korean at least I've been using "Korean Grammar Sentences by Evita" and noting down words I don't know on Evernote. Evita has other Korean decks which are equally brilliant.
Is that a good deck? I saw it yesterday but I'm still doubting
>>
Spanish and Hindi.

I'm going to Mexico next week and staying for a month, and my Spanish is still pretty poo-tier.

>Hola, donde es el pisserino?
>>
>>76252160
It's definitely possible to learn two languages simultaneously, but not both from the beginning. Learn one language up to a certain level such that you have a basic understanding, and then start with the other one. I.e. don't start them at the exact same time.

This video touches on the subject nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdZnkatthxg&

To start with, I would recommend using some text books such as Assimil, Teach Yourself, or Colloquial. They can easily be found on thepiratebay.
>>
>>76252294
which one of those would you suggest for French?

don't really have such time to try all of them
>>
>>76252273
I haven't learned shit since middle school Spanish class and even I remember "el bano"
>>
>>76252391
For French? 100% do Assimil. Assimil is a french company. So their French series is their best one.
>>
>>76252406

I was exaggerating.

I'm not that bad. Reading Spanish is fairly easy, and I can usually gleam context from spoken conversations.

However, I wish I'd done a better job studying so I could be somewhat proficient. Would make Tinder easier, at the very least.
>>
>>76252166
Same here. I'm not good yet, what is your level?
>>
New thread guys >>76252498
>>
>>76252248
it's brilliant, download it.
>>
>>76196324
Easy by itself, but messes me up in words.
>>
>>76161357
It's so weird to me that some people can't actually pronounce rolled R's. We Eastern Europeans take so much for granted.
>>
>>76238385
Seriously, what resources do you use for Lithuanian, I'm really urious.
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.