[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Europe have so few megacities compared to South America

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: Buenos Blancos, Blancotina.jpg (2MB, 3955x2637px) Image search: [Google]
Buenos Blancos, Blancotina.jpg
2MB, 3955x2637px
Why does Europe have so few megacities compared to South America and Mexico /int/?

>Europe population: 743 million
>Megacities: 3.5 (London, Paris, Moscow, half of Istanbul)

>South/Central America + Mexico population: 592 million
Megacities: Probably six (Mexico City, Buenos Aires, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Lima, and Bogota)

Latin America's former colonial master Spain doesn't even have a megacity. Why?
>>
>>76119310
They don't do skyscrapers basically
>>
>>76119310
They can't go for more than 60 years without a war that destroys half the continent so they don't want to bother.
>>
>>76119310
Megacities aren't necessarily a good thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRcUPiChx7k
>>
>>76119310
>Why does Europe have so few megacities compared to South America and Mexico /int/?
Because megacities are usually absolute trash to live in, they're expensive and soulless. The only exception to this rule might be certain areas of Paris, but that's debatable.

>>76119380
>They can't go for more than 60 years without a war that destroys half the continent so they don't want to bother.
You're one to talk, you warmongering Americans. Is there a country in the middle east you haven't bombed back to the stone ages yet?

And it's totally not true, it's been over 70 years since WW2, so it has been proven that we can behave in a peaceful, pacifist manner. That said, a race war might just break out in the next five to ten years, but that isn't our fault, but muslims' and migrants' who keep coming here uninvited, shitting all over our civilization, when nobody wants them.
Also it's partially your fault too, because you're the ones who keep assassinating elected leaders, and instigating revolutions and arming terrorists you pieces of shit. Then you go on about being the best """"friends"""" of Europe in the media. The nerve.
>>
>>76119310
>Moscow

Moscow is not a european city.
>>
M-muh megacities
>>
File: gsoros[1].jpg (365KB, 1402x1161px) Image search: [Google]
gsoros[1].jpg
365KB, 1402x1161px
>>76119627
> because you're the ones who keep assassinating elected leaders, and instigating revolutions

>Hungary
>Complaining about other countries starting revolutions

Look in the mirror, Soros György...
>>
>>76119712
It's eastern Europe. But still European. It's certainly not an ASIAN city. So...

>>76119722
Megacities are the future. Just look at China - their economic growth is mostly coming from growing cities that are becoming megacities, or became megacities since the 90's.
>>
>>76119827
Ye, I don't give a shit. I'm not gonna live in some fucking dumpster full of multi-kulti shit just to stroke my dick to the thought that I live in muh megacity.
>>
>>76119827
>their economic growth is mostly coming from growing cities that are becoming megacities
I thought it was from selling cheap plastic junk to fat people.
>>
>>76119627

America never forced up to take these refugees. Your current problems are all Germany's fault
>>
>>76119863
*forced you
>>
>>76119850

Well there's a lot of fat people who want a lot of junk.
Also ghost cities to falsely inflate their economy.
>>
File: megacity.jpg (35KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
megacity.jpg
35KB, 480x320px
>>76119876
>Well there's a lot of fat people who want a lot of junk.
So a megacity is a factory farm?
>>
>>76119892
that's actually ingenious
>>
>>76119310
So does the US. You have NY, LA, Chicago and the rest are smalish cities
>>
>>76119848
Even smaller countries are concentrating into urban areas. Rural areas in most places (outside of Africa) have slow or negative population growth.

Look at a country like Bulgaria, with a falling population - the rural areas are declining, but metro Sofia has almost 1.7 million now. It;s the biggest city in the country, and also the healthiest economically.
>>
>>76119928
The US only has 326 million people; not almost 750 million like Europe.
>>
>>76119944
We've been concentrating in Urban areas since Sumeria. It doesn't necessarily follow that a megacity is superior to a non-mega city. In fact, Tokyo balkanized and is subdivided into multiple municipalities with their own mayors.
>>
>>76119876

Ghost cities are made it be future homes for migrating Chinese.
>>
>>76119993
All those wards answer to the Tokyo metropolitan government.
>>
>>76119310
Because Europe is nice, continental and liveable instead of inhospitable jungle. Cities developed slowly and gradually.
>>
>>76119944
Once again, I don't give a crap. My quality of life is more important than "muh m-megacity", I prefer the size of a city I live in now(180k city, 350k agglomeration).
>>
>>76120001
Was that English?
>>
>>76120075
>Ghost cities are made to be future homes for migrating Chinese from the rural areas..
>>
File: 1482287304566.jpg (31KB, 563x400px) Image search: [Google]
1482287304566.jpg
31KB, 563x400px
>>76120074
>QoL
>Poland
>>
>>76120067
So? What I was implying was that the size becomes an issue and the solution is subdivision into smaller sub-cities.

>Tokyo: 23 special wards, 26 cities, 1 district, & 4 subprefectures
>>
>>76119310
We're not backwards enough that we need to live in a city to be relevant, city living is shite
>>
>>76120150
Los of stuff in those cities like utilities are still handled by the Tokyo Metropolitan government
>>
>>76120130
Better than China with its megacities.
>>
>>76119310
People don't like skyscrapers here
>>
>>76119627
based
>>
>>76120167
Good to know.
>>
the only benefit of megacities is that they concentrate the dreg of humanity in them and they serve as the primary targets in in an all out nuclear apocalypse.
>>
Madrid, Milan, Rome and Berlin all have more people than Chicago. Europe has plenty of very large cities
>>
Better population distribution
>>
>>76119310
>What is Berlin
>What is Brussels
>>
>>76120421
Metro areas, not city limits. "Megacity" always refers to the entire urban population rather than political divisions.

>>76120460
"Megacity" = urban area with at least 10 million people
>>
>>76120487
Then what is the significance of "megacities", compared to Brussels the capital of the EU.
>>
File: Delhi, Uttam Nagar.jpg (980KB, 2219x1233px) Image search: [Google]
Delhi, Uttam Nagar.jpg
980KB, 2219x1233px
>>76120552
They are a lot bigger. They represent a new and growing phase in human urbanization. They account for more and more of the world's GDP.
>>
File: E8BoLcv.jpg (178KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
E8BoLcv.jpg
178KB, 1024x1024px
>>76119310
We like european style tho. I wish there were more places like this here.
>>
London is the closest thing to a "megacity" and it's absolutely horrible. Don't understand the appeal. It isn't cyberpunk or anything, either, it's just overcrowded, sprawling and shit.
>>
Because of sieges.
>>
>>76119627
name one 'elected' leader Americans have deposed
>>
Tfw China has 9 megacities
>>
>>76121734
This is actually a verygood point. Medieval and early modern cities didn't sprawl that much because the city had to be defensible.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.