[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

With Puerto Rico voting for statehood, are we closer to becoming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: US flag.jpg (185KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
US flag.jpg
185KB, 600x400px
Well?
>>
>>75964563

Does this mean a PR girl will sit on my face
>>
A PR girl felt me up on the Twister ride at Universal Studios once.
>>
>>75964583
>>75964606
are all puerto rican women like this?
>>
>>75964563
no, Puerto Ricans are already American citizens since like 1917, and there are already more Puerto Ricans in the mainland than here. But most importantly, Congress won't ever make statehood happen
>>
>>75964563
No.

Spanish is looked down upon in the US.
>>
>>75964913
>But most importantly, Congress won't ever make statehood happen
Your state congress?

Because the mainland has been open to it for a while now
>>
File: Screenshot-2015-07-01-16.54.40.png (74KB, 508x830px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-2015-07-01-16.54.40.png
74KB, 508x830px
>>75964563
Puerto Rico must not become a U.S. State
>>
File: Screenshot-2015-08-02-21.17.11.png (193KB, 481x594px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-2015-08-02-21.17.11.png
193KB, 481x594px
>>75964996
>>
>>75964563
How in any way is the US a Latin American country?
>>
File: Gates.jpg (25KB, 510x250px) Image search: [Google]
Gates.jpg
25KB, 510x250px
>>75964976
>Because the mainland has been open to it for a while now
not really. Companies that have tax havens here have been lobbying against it. Plus the US govt profits a lot from our situation in many ways. They don't have to give us as much money as they give states, they have total federal control over our finances, they take all if not most of our 68 Billion~ yearly GNP, we have no real power against them no matter what they do because we have no voice in Congress and can't vote.. I could go on, and that's without mentioning the fact that it would mean one more blue state to deal with for Republicans. The US has a master-slave relationship with us and they have zero reason to change that, much less Republicans.
>>
>>75965229
Tell us more I'm genuinely interested.
>>
>>75964563
We're just gonna have to babysit a shithole. Fuck this is depressing.
>>
>>75965229
Raise awareness of the issue to American representatives in blue states to "Guarantee" blue dominance in 2020, that's the best I can come up with

And there's nothing stopping Puerto Rico from legislating tax haven status for said companies to get them to step off

There are options but I'm not sure how the island wants to pursue them, from the turnout I'm guessing most people are divided on the issue unless they feel very strongly about it
>>
>>75965351
>And there's nothing stopping Puerto Rico from legislating tax haven status for said companies to get them to step off
local corruption
last pic was of the governor we had in 2012, who was "pro-statehood" and made Gates comfier
>from the turnout I'm guessing most people are divided on the issue unless they feel very strongly about it
one chunk of the population just knew it was a waste of time like last plebiscite 5 years ago; non legally binding, Congress will use it to wipe their asses. Another chunk were the pro-Commonwealth and independentists who boycotted the plebiscite because the options were "Commonwealth / Independence", as if they were the same, while there was a "current status" clause, making it confusing on purpose. That's why the results were so overwhelmingly pro-statehood (97%). The majority here IS pro-statehood, but not by that much.
>>
LMAO good luck guys.
>>
>>75965318
>>75965351
forgot to add that the pro-Commonwealth people who did participate voted pro-statehood, because they are absolutely terrified of independence, and were afraid that the whole "Commonwealth / Independence" confusion would make Congress think we want independence. Hope I explained myself well enough without being boring
>>
>>75964563
We are already pretty much a latin american banana republic
>>
>>75965229
can't puerto rico also vote to break from the US and go fully independent as well? it's not like americans are holding a gun to your head and begging you guys to remain a territory. most of us can't even locate puerto rico on a map
>>
>>75965489
>local corruption
Ah I see
>The majority here IS pro-statehood, but not by that much
I'm not sure if that's good for Puerto Rico or not but kudos to those who want to be part of this horrible horrible country

>>75965545
You're doing fine
>>
>>75965552
most people here terrified of independence. Most believe that independence means becoming the next Venezuela or Haiti. And all the important pro-independence figures were killed/imprisoned in the 50s. Our two important parties are the pro-statehood one and the pro-Commonwealth one. And the US govt profits a lot from us despite the fact that many Americans don't even know we're a US territory.
>>75965570
thanks. I'd say last plebiscite pretty much reflects the real numbers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_status_referendum,_2012
69% statehood, 33% pro-Commonwealth.

>kudos to those who want to be part of this horrible horrible country
hey, your country's not heaven like many think but it doesn't have t be, it's still a great country! Some bad administrations, but I'd still be proud if I was you.
>>
You guys know if Puerto Rico becomes a state, you'll get even more redneck tourist trash? You'd be like Florida if it was an island.
>>
>>75965852
Except rednecks are much less likely to be able to afford plane tickets
>>
>>75965852
Puerto Rico doesn't have a city of theme parks.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.