[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the differences between Quebec French and French French more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

Are the differences between Quebec French and French French more significant than the difference between American English and British English? How about Brazilian and Portugese? Mexican and Spanish?
>>
>>75648573
Maybe a little more different yeah, especially with slang and informal speech.
>>
>>75648573
I don't know about the Portuguese/French

But I remember when I took Spanish in HS, the teacher said that we learned Spanish Spanish, but even if we became fluent it'd be unlikely we'd understand Mexican Spanish.

Also why the FUCK do they call molasses "treacle"
>>
>>75648845
Because it trickles out of the jar
>>
File: 1490655682602.jpg (131KB, 459x448px) Image search: [Google]
1490655682602.jpg
131KB, 459x448px
>>75648855
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

So they call this the "Great Treacle Flood"?
>>
>>75648845

All the mexicans in my high school got awful grades in spanish.

Meanwhile my chilean friend, and another from argentina, spoke so well that they weren't allowed to take spanish because it was a free A, so they took Italian instead.
>>
>>75648994
That's also because Spanish in school is largely about reading and writing, but they aren't well versed in reading and writing even though they speak fluently
>>
>>75648994
>All the mexicans in my high school got awful grades in spanish.
Why I'm not surprised?
>>
File: 1487899525172.png (279KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1487899525172.png
279KB, 500x500px
>>75648994
>Chilean and Argie
>in the US
>Chilean and Argie
>good spanish
Kek
Anyway, this reminds me of some Peruvian girls in Japan that used to get bad grades in Spanish because they don't speak the oshtia tio shaval one.
>>
>>75648952
Edible molasses is black treacle. The molasses in that flood was not.
>>
Depend what quebec french you speak about, some is understandable some half understandable, some is gibberish
>>
>>75648573
>brits floss their teeth with candy
No wonder they fall out
>>
File: pisa 2015.jpg (138KB, 656x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pisa 2015.jpg
138KB, 656x1080px
>>75648994
Mexicans are dumb as fuck so I'm not surprised.
>>
>>75648573
The differences between Portuguese and Brazilian are even more noticeable than British and American.

Their accent is a lot more open and sing-songy and they have a couple different grammar rules like pronoun positions in sentences.

The vocabulary (especially slang) is also noticeably different, and they seem to use more archaic words in most cases: i.e. they use falar (speak) instead of dizer (say) in more situations and colocar (place) instead of pôr (put) and things like that more often than we do.

It's still interchangeable, though.
>>
>>75648573
Mexican Spanish is alien tier. Argie Spanish too, but we've been more exposed to it because we share a lot of media so some of their slang is common knowledge, kinda like you and the Brits.
>>
>>75654766
give me some examples of Argie slang, por favor
>>
>>75648573
Difference between Quebec French and French French is mainly the accent and some expression they use that we don't and vice versa. There is no big difference
>>
>treacle vs molasses
>jam vs jelly
Not actually the same thing
>>
>>75654539
pretty much this for québec french/french french

they use words and expressions that are either archaic and not used here anymore or adapted straight from english
same goes for pronouns (they say "tu veux-tu" or "le soleil se repointera le bout de son nez" for example) and some adverbs (idk why but they use the adverbial construction -là all the time while it's not very necessary)
>>
>>75654977
>>75654539
This also applies to Spain/Latam. More singsongy accents, simplified phonetics and grammar, archaisms, more English and less French loanwords. Then the usual differences in vocabulary
>>
>>75648573
>Are the differences between Quebec French and French French more significant

It's mostly the pronunciation that is different, we need to hear some sentences before understanding something.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.