[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Write some words you looked up in the dictionary in any language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: dictionary.gif (2MB, 480x366px) Image search: [Google]
dictionary.gif
2MB, 480x366px
Write some words you looked up in the dictionary in any language

- casket
- jaded
- denizen
- bona fide
>>
File: 1350893905570.jpg (49KB, 500x410px) Image search: [Google]
1350893905570.jpg
49KB, 500x410px
I remember looking up Equity.
Still not sure if I understand what it means...
>>
>>75138217
It means Kapital and most often in the sense of Eigenkapital. Hope this helps.
>>
>>75138180
>bona fide

for real? i thought swiss at least had a basic knowledge of french or italian to get some basic latin

in my case just searched paccionar, another way to say pactar (to agree)
>>
kith - knowledge; one's native land; one's friends
tilth - agricultural work
fey - giving an impression of vague unworldliness

>>75138217
It's your share of ownership in something.
>>
>>75138302
It's often used a a synonym for "real" nowadays and not only "in good faith". That's confusing to me. A good way to remember the word for me is as the opposite of "rogue".
>>
>>75138180
>\fe'tä-gre-fe \

Wonder if that's an actual joke or animator laziness
>>
File: circleofequity.jpg (275KB, 889x889px)
circleofequity.jpg
275KB, 889x889px
>>75138282
>>75138419
Hmm, ok. Pic related was the reason I looked it up.
>>
>>75138457
Neither. It's how it's pronounced in standard American English and was notated in the dictionary for a long time. You can check Merriam-Webster's online dictionary and see something similar.

>>75138529
It's a bit of a complicated definition, because it has origins as meaning 'one's fair share of something'. We use it nowadays to denote ownership, but it can also just mean 'fairness' or 'what one is rightfully entitled to'.
>>
>>75138634
How does it work? That's clearly not international phonetic alphabet, and I don't see how it would correspond to the pronunciation. This is how it would be pronunced in Finnish: http://vocaroo.com/i/s09lXJq8xV4I which sounds way less like the original word than just the original spelling. I want to know the logic here, can you explain?
>>
Sapperlot
>>
>>75138728
Sure, there's two systems for how pronunciations are notated in English dictionaries - IPA and syllabic. Syllabic is older, but it's not a single consistent system. Rather, it uses a set of syllables that are common enough that the average English-speaking person would, upon seeing it, be able to reproduce the word's sound.

In this case you have fe'ta, which uses a short e because it's followed immediately by a stop and a consonant, meaning the short e is barely voiced. The final 'fe' is by itself with a dash so it uses a long e (like fee). So an American would see this and probably say 'fehtahgrahfee' (with that first 'eh' very short). Here's how I pronounce it: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1rBJqkQdUKL

These kinds of ad hoc syllabic systems have been mostly phased out nowadays in favor of IPA, but some still do provide them. You'll often find the later ones mix in some IPA too, so it just gets extra confusing.
>>
File: ht3S9TZfv4o.jpg (16KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
ht3S9TZfv4o.jpg
16KB, 400x266px
>>75138426
In Spain is used mostly with the judicial meaning but most of the time we use the spanish translation "de buene fe".

>mfw i just found out how anglos pronounce bona fide
>>
>>75138180
(de) Flüchtling n. refugee
(fi) talous n. economy
(fr) trahison n. treason
(th) กุ้ง n. shrimp
(tr) eleştiri n. criticism
(zh) 提取 v. to get, to pick up, to draw

from my recently collected words.
>>
>>75139124
>Flüchtling
Can you pronounce this correctly.
>>
>>75139188
>Flüchtling

I think I can!
I know German pronunciation from its spelling
Since I have learnt German language at school.
>>
promontory today

A promontory is a raised mass of land that projects into a lowland or a body of water (in which case it is a peninsula).
>>
File: bedrock.jpg (65KB, 1442x386px) Image search: [Google]
bedrock.jpg
65KB, 1442x386px
<------
>>
>kanneviskaali (finnish)

Apparently is an obsolete term for an special prosecutor in the court of appeals.

The more you know
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.