[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How often are Celtic languages spoken in their cunts? Like are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 15

File: Map_of_Celtic_Nations.png (27KB, 175x337px) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_Celtic_Nations.png
27KB, 175x337px
How often are Celtic languages spoken in their cunts? Like are Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish and Breton spoken regularly between some people or are they all just practically dead languages?
>>
>>74827373
Welsh still have many speakers. The rest is dead.
>>
Irish scottish and welsh are barely spoken.

Cornish is dead. Nobody gives a shit about it.

Iirc bretom still has speakers
>>
>>74827373
Cornish was so dead they literally had to reanimate the language.
>>
>>74827373
>How often
Extremely rarely, Outside of the gaeltacht only gaelscoileanna really use it.

its kept around due to a sentimental/cultural attachment to the language rather than it being useful.
>>
>>74827373
Some people speak Welsh (mostly in the North if they want to piss you off)
"Scottish" isn't a language
Cornish is dead
Irish I know less about but I believe they're attempting to revive it.
>>
>>74827373
You forgot about Czech.

V české kotlině existuje neobyčejně hluboce zakořeněný mýtus o slovanském původu českého národa. Ve skutečnosti má takový průměrný Čech nejblíže ke Keltům. Pak následuje příměs germánská a slovanská. Z toho vyplývá, že našim bratrským národem jsou spíš Angličané, Skoti, Welšané, Irové či Rakušané než Rusáci. Celá velkolepá teorie Panslavismu je lživá. Slouží jen jako ruská záminka pro ovládání a zotročení "bratrských národů"
>>
File: 1494691768162.png (158KB, 364x434px) Image search: [Google]
1494691768162.png
158KB, 364x434px
welsh speakers only use it when english people are around
>>
File: 1493583966116.jpg (65KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
1493583966116.jpg
65KB, 601x601px
>>74828535
this
>>
>>74828011
Nah, actual Breton is completely dead. What passes as Breton now is a fabricated language designed in the early XXth century. It's a sad farce. No better than speaking esperanto or klingon.
>>
File: 1493597120853.jpg (21KB, 719x792px) Image search: [Google]
1493597120853.jpg
21KB, 719x792px
>>74828535
>>74828633
>Met a Welshman
>"Alright butt"

Never again
>>
Why do Celtic kids not learn their native languages?
>>
>>74831007
Because not everyone suffers from incurable autism like the Finns.
>>
>>74831007

Celtic is a meme ethnicities.

Literally Anglos that want try to be different from the English.

Kinda like how Macedonians is a meme ethncity. They're just Bulgrians
>>
>>74831092
>wanting to preserve your people's culture and heritage
>autism
jävla sosse

>>74831117
It's the other way around, Anglo is a meme ethnicity. They're mostly genetically Celtic.
>>
>>74831193
Finnar vill inte bevara deras kultur, de vill skriva om 800 år av deras historia. Lite som om Skåningar skulle få för sig att börja snacka Danska för muh historia.
>>
>>74831193
That's now how ethicity works...

With that logic most Arabs are not Arabs. They're Copts, Arameans, and Berbers
>>
>>74831193
No one gives a shit about gene autism outside 4chan m8
>>
>>74831354
Exactly. And if they had any sense in them they'd reject the shitty Arabian culture and return to their native ones

>>74831376
wrong
>>
>>74831447
Lol OK I'm wrong. Point out in the real world an example of relevant ppl caring about which haplogroup strain or linguistic group or whatever it is you're sperging about that they belong to
>>
File: Celtic languages.jpg (197KB, 1397x704px) Image search: [Google]
Celtic languages.jpg
197KB, 1397x704px
>>74827373
>>
>>74831485
>Point out in the real world an example of relevant ppl caring about which haplogroup strain or linguistic group or whatever it is you're sperging about that they belong to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Germany
>>
File: welsh alphabet.jpg (242KB, 1024x769px) Image search: [Google]
welsh alphabet.jpg
242KB, 1024x769px
>>74828535
They're mentalists.
>>
>>74828506
>existuje
>>
>>74831485
Don't bother with haplogroup warriors. Just look at the incessant spam of Finnish ethno internet crusaders in any thread mentioning Finland, Sweden or haplogroups. They never ever stop. Not even when proved wrong. Just get the fuck out before it's too late.
>>
>>74831580
We don't live in Nazi Germany m8.
>>
There are a few native Scots-Gaelic speaking communities in the Canadian Maritimes.
>>
>>74831673
BRITONS ARE FUCKING CELTS YOU RETARD AND SHOULD SPEAK CELTIC STOP TRYING TO WIPE OUT CELTIC LANGUAGES YOU GODDAMN LEFTIST KEK
>>
>>74831673
I'm not even qualified to give an opinion on that stuff it's just the height of autistic delusion(or spending too much time on image boards) to think your average man is going to give up his language and his identity and start speaking proto-Brythonic because of a DNA chart.
>>
I speak Welsh with my mum. Occasionally her side of the family when I see them.

That's it.
>>
>>74831743
Why stop at celtic and not just speak fucking PIE? Oh, you don't know? That's because this type of mentality is completely based on emotions and is thus completely arbitrary.
>>
>>74831752
ok imagine this
>Sweden is taken over by muslims
>Arabic becomes the primary language
>my descendants speak Arabic with only a few thousand who still know Swedish
>centuries later Swedes are given the opportunity to learn Swedish again
>"hurr durr no I'd rather speak Arabic cuz it's my language even though it's not"
>>
>>74831485
Genetic testing for origins in the New Worlds is big business, companies like 23&Me or AncestryDNA make millions on people willing to pay hundreds of dollars to learn their genetic origins.
>>
>>74831864
PIE is extinct and cannot be revived, unlike the Celtic languages
>>
File: 2f7.jpg (28KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
2f7.jpg
28KB, 601x508px
>>74828535
>>
>>74831743
Celt languages died out for valid reasons. It's sad in the sense of lost diversity, but it's how things are.
Cornwall has had billions poured into its devolution over the years and it still won't take. Languages just don't work that way. The cost-benefit for people is too high.
>>
>>74831580

ah yes that worked out great didn't it
>>
>>74832179
>valid reasons
What would you consider an invalid reason for a language to die?
>>
>>74831924
Perhaps not perfectly revived, but that didn't stop an entire fucking nation reviving a practically dead desert language (Hebrew).

Again, it's completely arbitrary. Why Celtic and not proto-Celtic? We know roughly what they look like. Why is one type of linguistic evolution deemed natural and worthy of preservation and one isn't? There's no inherent value in languages so the reason can't be anything other than "because I say so". Which isn't an argument.

Perhaps we Swedes should start learning old east Norse? After all, Swedish is full of both and grammar and words that aren't "ours". Not only that, but we do know what old Norse sounds like and how it was written. What's the difference between adapting a new language versus it evolving through external pressures into one that is mutually intelligible with what it started off as?

And as I mentioned earlier: should Scania start speaking Danish? That's what they spoke before Swedish was forced on them. Swedish isn't then, by your logic, "their" language. Same thing with all the other countless languages that Swedes' killed off. Where do you draw the line?
>>
>>74832179
which raises the question I first asked, why do Celtic kids not want to learn their native language? If I were in their position I'd be stoked to learn Cornish/Welsh/Gaelic etc.
>>
>>74832264
Language of your ancestors =/= your native language
>>
>>74832235
Languages are a vital part of people's culture and identity. I suppose a simpleton like you wouldn't understand or appreciate it, but I am a linguist and historian and thus value the preservation of languages
>>
>>74832264
>why do Celtic kids not want to learn their native language?

It's hard to get the majority of children stoked about any kind of learning, let alone learning another language. This is especially hard if your native language is as dominant as English is.
>>
File: 1418710545779.jpg (165KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
1418710545779.jpg
165KB, 1032x774px
>I suppose a simpleton like you wouldn't understand or appreciate it
>>
Mandatory Paul video about Celtic languages:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri1Vw3w1_10
>>
>>74832264
Irish kids don't want to learn Irish for the most part because they're kids and it's forced on all of us

Secondly it's taught shockingly badly
>>
>>74831924
We know PIE quite well, though. In fact it's one of the most reliably reconstructed languages.
>>
>>74832391
Maybe we should just abandon Swedish too? Remove all Swedish text, replace it all with English. Teach only English to our children.

Might as well give up all Swedish traditions while we're at it. Midsommar? lame. Lucia? Who needs that?

braise gommunism :DDD and globalism :DDDD
>>
File: 1465262917342.jpg (25KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1465262917342.jpg
25KB, 396x385px
>>74832235
>le enlightened redditors are this retarded
sweden was a mistake
>>
Welsh is coming back, it is compulsory learning in Welsh schools now
>>
>>74832502
What does your nationalist parties, movements and organisations think about reviving/using your language?
>>
>>74832502
Then it's up to Irish adults to teach their children. Speak Irish Gaelic at home and they'll have no choice but to pick it up
>>
>>74832620
Well 95% of our political parties are nationalist parties, Sinn Féin is the only party that probably believes it can be revived fully and would attempt any measures as such
>>
>>74828011
welsh is spoken all over every day...
Try going West of Cardiff or Swansea and you can't not hear it.
>>
>>74832654
I don't know if you know this but it's young people who speak Irish if at all. Neither of my parents do but all my siblings and I do
>>
>>74828535
It's like the English speak French or German when there's no Welsh around.
>>
>>74832228
>What would you consider an invalid reason for a language to die?
I guess that's a good question. I don't know if I can give a firm answer to that.
For me, it mostly depends on coercion. If a language were specifically targeted with the intent of wiping it out (as I believe to some extent happened in Ireland) I would see that as invalid.
But I don't see soft coercion as invalid, which is how most of the (insular) Celt languages died out. It's like with the competition in the various dialects and accents of English. Eventually it was just more practical and attractive to speak and write in the prestige dialect because it opened more opportunities, allowed you to communicate with much more people. You could say that's coercion too but in the end it's the choice our ancestors made, if that makes sense.
>>
>>74832592
How is he wrong?
>>
>>74832516
He'll say anything that supports his narrative, don't bother. He can't even answer the simplest of question: why. We should just simply revive dead/dying/minority languages, but mind you only the ones he deem worthy, because reasons.

>>74832574
The fact that you can't tell the difference between reviving dead languages or replacing entire languages with supposed ancestral languages is quite telling.

But here's the thing, you don't get to make any further - and I'll be generous here - arguments until you've answered my previous questions.

>>74832592
Be serious or go home.
>>
>>74832610
It's been compulsory since around 1996
>>
>>74827373
My understanding is:
>Wales
Still spoken, still used on street signs, only a few hill people that still use it as a primary language though
>Scotland
Dead
>Ireland
Taught in schools but dead.
>Cornwall
Lol this isn't a thing.
>>
>>74832792
What part of "culture" and "identity" don't you understand? If everyone had the same language and culture the world would be a boring, souless place. I thought you leftists liked diversity but here I am defending it
>>
>>74832792
Reviving dying languages is MUCH easier said than done. Irish is a very difficult language to learn, for most people the cost of reviving it obscenely exceeds the benefit
>>
>>74831880
The problem is that you're bringing up a hypothetical with a negative (or emotionally negative) connotation. Yes, in that situation, people would probably want to cast off Arabic, but it's a hypothetical that isn't analogous to English history.
>>
File: 1491847772992_0.png (61KB, 720x748px) Image search: [Google]
1491847772992_0.png
61KB, 720x748px
>>74827373
Welsh is the only one
>>
>>74832887
I've already made my questions clear. I want to know why and I want to know how any particular ancestral language is picked in way that isn't completely arbitrary. I also want to know why it's only, at seemingly, only applicable to a national level and not a regional one as I outlined in my question regarding Scanians speaking Danish or Gutes (Gotland) speaking Gutnish.

>If everyone had the same language and culture the world would be a boring, souless place.
No one is arguing that.

>I thought you leftists liked diversity but here I am defending it
I'm not a leftist.
>>
>>74832784
>There's no inherent value in languages so the reason can't be anything other than "because I say so". Which isn't an argument.
this part here betrays him as a retard

>>74832792
>Be serious or go home.
your posts don't warrant a serious reply mate
they do warrant mockery which you get
>>
>>74832741
Welsh was not given "soft Coercian" to kill it off....

It was targeted as part of a broader effort by the British government to eradicate national identities, that they considered "non-British"... guess which identity was considered suitably "British"?.....
>>
>>74827373
Thankfully us god tier Roman/Angle/Viking rapebabies on the east coast dominated their shitty low test celtic dna pool with her high test semen and glorious germanic language.

Hail Caesar
>>
>>74832916
Irish isn't really that difficult, people here just get spooked by the horrendous teaching practices.
>>
>>74832922
>but it's a hypothetical that isn't analogous to English history

>be ancient Briton
>be Celtic
>conquered by the Romans, but that's okay because Latin is only a secondary language to our native Celtic ones
>Romans leave
>Anglos, Saxons and other scum invade our island
>conquer us, enslave us and force us to speak Anglo-Saxon
>Celtic languages and culture is dwindling
>fast forward to modern day
>"hurr durr no I'd rather speak English cuz it's my language even though it's not"
>"now excuse me while I go suck English cock"
>>
>>74832882
Then your understanding is wrong....
Welsh edcation can not provide the places to meet demand, English language education has too many places.
It's quicker and easier to order a coffee in Costa in Welsh, than it is in English now. ( I'm in West Wales however )
>>
>>74833115
No one brit has 100% celtic ancestry
>>
>>74833047
Languages don't have an inherent value. That doesn't mean that we can't put a subjective value on it and it doesn't mean that they're not interesting or worthy of existing. But we should recognize that it's on a purely subjective basis that any such work or policies are done.
>>
My understanding of why Celtic dying/died:

>Irish
Famines and Irish not (is it a thing?).
>Scottish Gaelic
Was never the main language in Scotland, early Gael kings speak Scottish Gaelic, but it's a elite thing.
>Welsh
Industrial age and the Welsh not. Still, it's comming back.
>Cornish
Cornwall never has its own country.
>Manx
Too small, too irrelevant.
>Breton
Once vibrant, but now dead because of French policy.
>>
>>74831580
Nazis didn't know about haplogroups
>>
>>74833043
If Scanians want to speak Danish that's fine by me, all power to them. And Gutnish should be preserved, just like the Celtic languages.
>>
>>74833170
Irish language took a massive hit from a mixture of the anti-Irish policy of the occupier and creation of economic incentives to be english speaking

Has yet to recover
>>
>>74833250
It won't thanks to your pro EU policy of the importation of Nigerians
>>
>>74833115
LOL

Yet it's now the English who lack any indentity and struggle with ethnics taking over their cities...

meanwhile, Wales and Scotland ask for migrants, but our identity and culture effectively ensure that they either adapt or fuck off to England.

Identity and Culture act as a buffer and as a means to ensure integration by foreigners...

The English lack this... now they try to reclaim some kind of William Blake version of themselves that never existed... and only have past ideas of superiority left, so they go to far and act like the fucking EDL.
>>
>>74833305
>I'm celtic roleplaying

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>74833115
But that's the thing, you don't understand English history and you have to cast it in this cartoonishly bad light to make your point fit.
The Anglo-Saxons were invited to Britain in the first place as foederati to help protect against the Picts after the Roman withdrawal, and people on the mainland stopped identifying as "Celts" (which is already kind of an anachronistic meme to begin with) before there was even a single undivided English king. The only exceptions are Wales and Cornwall and I've told you how well revival there has turned out.
This then all precedes a thousand unbroken years of English history that you would ask modern English people to throw away. It will never happen, I'm sorry.
>>
>>74833162
it's the focus on "inherent" value and the insistence that it's all "subjective" that shows you he's a redditor retard who thinks because he looked up a few wikipedia articles on logical fallacies and is an atheist that that's how the world actually work

I mean he's just trying to abstract away all identity as "subjective" and thinks that means it's completely arbitrary and holds no value

identity and language are valuable because it matters to those people and that's the only justification it will ever need
>>
>>74833047
>this part here betrays him as a retard
Would you argue that Esperanto has an inherent value?
>>
>>74833358
Welsh people aren't English, wtf are you on about?
>>
>>74833422
Same DNA, you seem to think that celts still exist don't you?
>>
>>74833422
You should read my post again because there is nowhere that I mentioned the Welsh as being English.
>>
>>74833053
Still no where near as bad as the French and their hatred for regional languages. Britain is quite free these days.
>>
>>74833408
There's no Esperanto people. Esperanto hasn't been spoken for thousands of years
>>
>>74833468
This is the thing, besides some similarities between Irish and Scottish oweing themselves in no small part to Irish immigrants. Celtic identity is a meme, everyone is now a national identity after thousands of years
>>
>>74833514
As with celtics.....
>>
>>74833496
This, they even force Polynesians and Caledonians to speak French.
>>
>>74833408
the question misses the point
see here >>74833387, if Esperanto had a people whose identity and culture included Esperanto it would have much more value

but of course even esperanto has people who really like the language and that it matters to and to those people the language is very valuable although I don't think it matches any natural language
>>
>>74833552
Celts still exist Nigel, no matter how you English opressors try to deny it
>>
>>74833671
We exist but nobody seriously would identify as a "celt"
>>
>>74833387
But reviving dead language is not embracing your identity, is making up an arbitrary and subjective new one by disregarding your own people's history after they stopped using it, and it's no wonder this kind of stunt always came from intellectuals and not from the people
>>
>>74833704
You are Celts wether you identify as it or not

If I stop identifying as Nordic I don't suddenly cease to be Nordic
>>
File: Genetic Britain (2).jpg (155KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
Genetic Britain (2).jpg
155KB, 1024x724px
>>74833358
>The only exceptions are Wales and Cornwall and I've told you how well revival there has turned out.

The Cornish need to stop larping as muh pure celts anyway. We can let the Welsh off, as here...

>There was no single 'Celtic' genetic group. In fact the Celtic parts of the UK (Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and Cornwall) are among the most different from each other genetically. For example, the Cornish are much more similar genetically to other English groups than they are to the Welsh or the Scots.
>The majority of eastern, central and southern England is made up of a single, relatively homogeneous, genetic group with a significant DNA contribution from Anglo-Saxon migrations (10-40% of total ancestry). This settles a historical controversy in showing that the Anglo-Saxons intermarried with, rather than replaced, the existing populations.
>Many of the genetic clusters show similar locations to the tribal groupings and kingdoms around end of the 6th century, after the settlement of the Anglo-Saxons, suggesting these tribes and kingdoms may have maintained a regional identity for many centuries.
>The population in Orkney emerged as the most genetically distinct, with 25% of DNA coming from Norwegian ancestors. This shows clearly that the Norse Viking invasion (9th century) did not simply replace the indigenous Orkney population.
>The Welsh appear more similar to the earliest settlers of Britain after the last ice age than do other people in the UK.
>There are separate genetic groups in Cornwall and Devon, with a division almost exactly along the modern county boundary.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2015-03-19-who-do-you-think-you-really-are-genetic-map-british-isles
>>
>>74833763
>dead language
the only dead Celtic language is Cornish m8 and the bigger issue is Irish and Welsh
>arbitrary and subjective
arbitrary is wrong, subjective is irrelevant
>disregarding your own people's history after they stopped using it
this is just nonsense
>it's no wonder this kind of stunt always came from intellectuals and not from the people
language comebacks wouldn't work if it didn't matter to the people
>>
Ironically Welsh is the most spoken language of all of them. The others want or have independence but refuse to speak their own language
>>
File: 1480695310030.png (193KB, 838x959px) Image search: [Google]
1480695310030.png
193KB, 838x959px
>>74833968
Wales is a principality of England and they know their place. They're good lads really.
>>
>>74833847
I literally just said I am a celt but I don't seriously identify as one, reading comprehension man
>>
I agree with hablo autist, we should go back to our paleo-european roots. fuck being a piecuck
>>
File: 1486696038541.png (59KB, 442x768px) Image search: [Google]
1486696038541.png
59KB, 442x768px
>>74832407
Whoever did the Irish voiceovers in this video is a fucking chancer. The 'fh' is silent but he just pronounces it as an f because he doesn't even have the basics of Irish phonology.
>>
>>74833929
>the only dead Celtic language is Cornish m8 and the bigger issue is Irish and Welsh
Irish was dead too outside of some rural communities, what is spoken is a constructed language
>arbitrary is wrong, subjective is irrelevant
Yes it is arbitrary if a small group of people decide that from now on people should learn and use a language they have decided to revive, it's exactly like your (made up) narrative of how English replaced Gallic languages in England
>this is just nonsense
So, I should get back to speaking Old European to get back to my Neolithic farmer roots and stop the Indoeuropean oppression?
>language comebacks wouldn't work if it didn't matter to the people
That's exactly why nobody speaks modern Irish and Cornish, because it's an artificial stunt born of spite
>>
>>74834068
Wasnt there also an outrage by the Scotts calling them traitors to the Celtic cause after brexit?
>>
>>74833868
>dat Northern Ireland native vs planter population
>>
>>74834139
Why stop there? We should all get back to talking reconstructed Nostratic
>>
>>74834210
SNP =/= Scots tbqh
>>
>>74834262
you don't have to go overboard like that, stop being a cunt
>>
>>74834364
What he's saying is very reasonable. Modern Irish language has little to do with modern Irish culture
>>
>>74834185
it's not a constructed language since it never died
they may have made some reforms but that doesn't make it a constructed language
>Yes it is arbitrary
no, using your historic language that's still alive is not an arbitrary choice
>your (made up) narrative
I have no idea which narrative you're talking about as I certainly didn't make one up
>So, I should get back to speaking Old European to get back to my Neolithic farmer roots and stop the Indoeuropean oppression?
this is a complete non-sequitor, what's this even supposed to mean?
>nobody speaks modern Irish
the number is increasing by the year m8
>>
>>74827373
Portugal (and Galicia) still speaks with a largely Celtic accent/phoneme set, but we've been completely CAESAR'D.
>>
>>74834405
no it's not fucking reasonable to go back to stone ages languages

The Irish language has everything to do with Irish culture
>>
>>74834185
>Irish was dead too outside of some rural communities, what is spoken is a constructed language
Standard Irish is just a standardisation. Constructed "language" is a bit of exaggeration, what it is is an artificial bridge dialect rather than using a single dialect as the standard. Moreover it mostly only applies to written Irish.
>>
Im really thankful that we dont have a complicated ethnic and cultural history
>inland ice melts
>paleo-europeans moves in
>germaniggs spread their language in some way, be it assimilation or cultural dominance
>split of from the other nordicks somewhere around the 1000s
>sho away some samis and forest finns from the north
and then nothing else has happened
>>
>>74834450
While this is true, keep in mind our government manipulate census questions to largely inflate the increase in numbers

If you speak Irish (most young people do to varying degrees) you will be counted among the cohort of people who actually use Irish which is significantly less
>>
>>74834405
Modern Irish culture is not Irish just an Anglo-American variant, that's the pertinent issue.
>>
>>74834528
How can you say this to an Irish person without feeling embarassed. The biggest contribution of modern Irish language to Irish culture is functioning as a meme generator based on the collective struggle of irish students forced to learn it with shitty teachers.
>>
>>74834450
>your historic language
That's the point, it stopped being the language of most Irish people two or three centuries ago, at this point using it is just an artificial stunt
>this is a complete non-sequitor, what's this even supposed to mean?
First, it's non-sequitur.
Second, it's taking your absurd theory that one should revive languages belonging to people of the same nation to its ultimate conclusion, that we should be still talking languages that were not enforced by the Indoeuropean invaders
>the number is increasing by the year m8
Is it the number of people that can speak it because they have been taught in school, or the number of people that actually use it in daily life?
>>74834528
"Let me tell you about your country": the post, by Swinegolian haplogroup warrior
>>
>>74834637
Well you're not trying hard enough to learn it
>>
>>74834750
I speak 4 languages, idgaf what some ignorant swede thinks is the right one to use on a daily basis
>>
>>74832189
it worked wonderfully until the (((allies))) came to destroy it
>>
>>74834825
If Swedish was a minority language in my country I'd try my hardest to learn it and preserve it

But I suppose you Celts are a weak people. Maybe Irish does deserve to die out. Now keep sucking the cock of those English conquerors
>>
>>74834922
You just expose yourself as an ignorant racist who doesn't know anything about language or history, back to your containment board
>>
>>74834722
>it stopped being the language of most Irish people two or three centuries ago
it didn't stop being the Irish language though
>to its ultimate conclusion
uh, no, if you can't see the difference here you're just an idiot
>Is it the number of people that can speak it because they have been taught in school, or the number of people that actually use it in daily life?
both
>>
>>74834971
My post was meant to coax some cultural and national pride out of you, doesn't seem to have worked
>>
>>74835114
I'm an Irish-speaking republican, you know nothing about my country.
>>
>>74835141
So we should be on the same side then?
>>
>>74835062
>it didn't stop being the Irish language though
Why? Most Irish people didn't speak it, it was only people in small rural communities that used it in their daily life, what gives these rustic dialects the privilege of being the true language of all the people of Ireland?
>uh, no, if you can't see the difference here you're just an idiot
There is no difference, both Old European and Manx or Cornish are dead languages, there is only an accidental difference in the span of time
>>
>>74831117
more like the lebensraumed by the eternal germanglos and now they finally have some degree of independence.
>>
>>74835222
>Why?
history and culture
the language wasn't spoken by most people but everyone knew it was the Irish langauge
>There is no difference
t. retard
>>
>>74835195
I want what's best for my country. I have seen no evidence whatsoever that forcing the population to speak a language other than the one that they most easily understand and communicate in would be in anyway a good idea. So no we're not on the same side
>>
>>74835262
So, first it doesn't matter how many people speak it because it has to do with history and culture (even though the surviving dialects of Irish would have sounded nothing like the language of classic Irish literature), but then it is the true Irish language because everyone (even though it was just a bunch of intellectuals in Dublin) thought it was?
Make up your mind, is the language-identity thing a matter of objective cultural relevance, or a factor of subjective and democratic agreement that a particular language is the national language?
>t. retard
Compelling argument
>>
>>74835195
I think he's one of those "culture doesn't really matter, we are all Irish, refugees welcome" kind of Sinn Féin supporters, not a nationalist.
>>
>>74835568
Should probably spend less time on the old google machine there and get out a bit
>>
>>74835489
>even though the surviving dialects of Irish would have sounded nothing like the language of classic Irish literature
You overestimate the differences between Classical Gaelic and modern Irish.
>>
>>74835489
there is nothing objective about cultures
there is nothing objective about you and your countrymen being lazy pastaniggers but that doesn't make it less true

so is it a matter of subjective cultural relevance or a subjective democratic agreement?
both are valid and ideally they should both apply, in Irish' case there was a mismatch

>even though the surviving dialects of Irish would have sounded nothing like the language of classic Irish literature
this is irrelevant, Italian sounds nothing like Latin yet it's still the language of Italy (putting aside all the so called dialects for a moment)

>Compelling argument
unironically more compelling than the idiocy it was in reply to
>>
>>74835489
Now that you mention it, Irish was legally enshrined as the national language in a referendum in 1937 lol
>>
>>74833250
Good
>>
>>74835831
So the latter
>>
>>74835831
>>74835941
Related to this, would be very interesting to see the results of a referendum on removing mandatory Irish today
>>
>>74835793
"italian" is the language of Tuscany
>>
>>74835979
It would definitely fail because most secondary school children can't vote.
>>
>>74836009
originally yea but today it's the native language of the vast majority of Italians
>>
>>74836042
Totally discounting the experience of the overwhelming majority of the public. Sad!
>>
>>74835793
>there is nothing objective about cultures
But you said here >>74833387 that claiming that culture and identity are subjective is something a redditor retard would do
>there is nothing objective about you and your countrymen being lazy pastaniggers but that doesn't make it less true
Was this meant to be an insult? I'm sure you can do better
>this is irrelevant, Italian sounds nothing like Latin yet it's still the language of Italy
What's the argument here? Also, Italian is a constructed language
>>74836009
Not really, though it mainly takes from there
>>
>>74833496
What do you mean "regional languages"? France speaks French. Why people in France not want to speak French?
>>
Seriously though I could never see a referendum like that passing, most people get over their antipathy after their Leaving Cert and seem vaguely pro-Irish in principle. It would be too hard a sell for the pro-removal side.
>>
>>74836306
for >>74836117
>>
>>74836232
>But you said here >>74833387 (You) that claiming that culture and identity are subjective is something a redditor retard would do
no I said that thinking that the fact that it is subjective somehow makes it less meaningful or legitimate is something a retarded redditor (or apparently Italian) would think
it's all subjective and focusing on that subjectivity is a failure from the start that only idiots do
>Was this meant to be an insult?
a minor one but there was a proper point to which I reiterated above
>What's the argument here?
that the fact that Irish changed in 1000 years doesn't matter to its status as the Irish language
>>
>>74828897
Ok, Breton was spoken and written a bit differently depending on where you lived and some guy tried to standardize it, I don't see how that make it a made-up language, the same thing happened to the French language.
>>
File: jjwsZO4.jpg (173KB, 1429x540px) Image search: [Google]
jjwsZO4.jpg
173KB, 1429x540px
>there are Irish cucks who are okay with this
Anglo genocide when?
>>
>>74836684
One unified global language is inevitable, we were just forced into early adoption.

Also why do you care what language people speak
>>
>>74836781
sorry I can't hear you over Nigel's cock in your mouth
>>
File: 77745444.jpg (407KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
77745444.jpg
407KB, 1920x1080px
>>74836684
>>74836820
It's an Anglo world m8. Anglos invented the computer, Anglos invented the internet, Anglos invented the World Wide Web. You're currently typing English and you visit an English-speaking website. It's just the way it is.
>>
>>74836820
How is it even any of your business? Fuck off.
>>
>>74836972
this is /int/ where these things are everyone's business
>>
>>74837118
You and some Swede are telling an actual Irish person how he should think and feel about his own country, it's transparent as fuck and it doesn't belong anywhere let alone on /int/.
>>
>>74837217
Oh shut up you spa.
>>
>>74837550
No it's obnoxious.
>>
>>74836781
>>74836945
英语不是永远不会是全球语言的意思

La mayoría de las personas que hablan inglés lo hacen como una segunda lengua, hablan su propia lengua materna en casa y con amigos
>>
>>74827373
>Cornwall & Shetlands included
>Cumbria isn't
I want this meme to die
>>
>>74837586
Your being triggered by pretty routine /int/ discourse is obnoxious.
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.