[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do americans feel a real sense of belonging to their states or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 3

File: 3b9.png (182KB, 450x433px) Image search: [Google]
3b9.png
182KB, 450x433px
Do americans feel a real sense of belonging to their states or does it not matter anymore?
>>
i feel most comfortable here as i know the local culture the best but there's no real sense of "loyalty" and I want out soon

only rednecks care about MUH STATES RIGHTS STATES INDEPENDENCE shit
>>
>>74818644
Texans do, others don't. Even though they would have us believe going from one state to another is like going from one European country to another.
>>
They don't feel a sense of belonging anywhere, that's why they shoot up schools probably
>>
>>74818644
>Do americans feel a real sense of belonging to their states or does it not matter anymore?
Why wouldn't they? Most people feel something for their region, whether in the US or not.
>>
>>74818644
Top of tha morning to ya laddies! I'm a real oirish bloke, my great great great great grandfathers sisters cousins plummers cat was an oirish immigrant so that practically makes me like a real inbread irishman. I live in an irish neighbourhood (we have had a irish flag once) and i celebrate st paddies day every year.
potatoes am i roight lads? tha fukin bri'ish oi?
>>
>>74818644
Nah fuck New Jersey, I'm getting out of this shit state once I get my BSc
>>
>>74818644
I feel more belonging to my city, but sure, I suppose I do a bit.
>>
>>74818644
Americans are indoctrinated since birth to be borderline sociopaths. What do you think?
>>
>>74818714
some americans unironically say they're 1/16th irish and they think that means something
>>
>>74818673
This, but less judgemental.
>>
>>74818673
Yeah, fuck the 10th amendment amirite?
>>
>>74818673
>only rednecks care about MUH STATES RIGHTS STATES INDEPENDENCE shit
Are you saying only rednecks care about the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution?

>>74818758
So? I don't care when an American says that, unless they think Irish people are all shepherds and blacksmiths, which is rare. Only Anglophile Dublin snobs look down on Americans for saying that.

>>74818799
Only other non-retard in the thread.
>>
>>74818644
I don't identify with my state, but I do feel an allegiance to it and an appreciation for it. I think we should embrace and promote state and regional differences.
>>74818685
You're wrong on every point.
>>74818699
This.
>>
>>74818758
no real harm done until they start being retarded about it
>>
Unironically 1/4th Ukrainian, 1/4th English, 1/4th Belarusian and 1/4th Italian here. AMA
>>
>>74818883
When did you realise you were retarded, and how did your near family react?
>>
>>74818673
Spotted the Californian
>>
Of course, who wouldn't if they lived in the best State?
>>
>>74818644
I think it only really comes into play when someone from another state starts to put your state down.

Then you gotta be like fuck you
>>
>>74818883
what a mess

do you ever wish you would have just one precise origin? Do you wish you could actually identify as one part of those groups?
>>
No. Only Alaskans, Texans, and Hawaiians probably feel like they have unique State civic or cultural identities than any other State or region, and with Hawaiians and Alaskans that difference is just being unique from the rest of the union because of their geographical separation from the mainland and climate. Texans feeling special is overplayed by other burgers--barely anyone who isn't running for local office there feels that the State is in anyway or form exceptional or feels pride to for any supposed values or norms it may have, because everyone knows that politically and with weather, it's neighbors--Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma aren't different. So no.

I live in Michigan and I certainly don't, and I don't know anyone who feels a sense of belonging here than any of the other States that are geographically or economically the same. It's no different than the rest of the Mid-West in pretty much all regards when compared relative to other regions.
>>
>>74818644
>anymore
wtf does that even mean?
>>
Ive been to every state except Conneticut and Maine.

I can definetely say it gave me a greater appreciation and a clear unencumbered view of whats wrong with California, where Im from/
>>
Really just depends on which state it is. Texans obviously have a huge sense of Texan identity, and so would anyone living in the Dixie states. I'm pretty sure New Yorkers also take pride in being from New York. Cajun French people may also have a sense of identity in Louisiana, but I'm not sure. I'm from Northern Virginia so I can't really relate with the rest of Virginia nor relate with DC, plus I was born in Maryland, so I never really had a sense of "Virginian identity" or feeling a belonging to my state or anything like that.
>>
I'm from Louisiana and it's pretty shit, but it's my shit.
>>
>>74818977
This 100%.

Also it's so common for Americans to move around, and the states are so similar, that they don't develop a real attachment to their particular state. Everyone I know was born in a different state than they live in now.
>>
>>74818944
no, he is memeing you
fuck off please
>>
>>74818907
My family is also retarded, so they're none the wiser hehe >:-)

>>74818944
>do you ever wish you would have just one precise origin? Do you wish you could actually identify as one part of those groups?

Sometimes, but it's not too bad. Mainly I just identify as an American med student
>>
>>74818995
I meant that with time maybe people lost their sense of belonging to one state. Like in France it's not a strong as it was 100 years from now.
>>
I have the outline of my home state tattooed on my shoulder...

You have to guess which one
>>
Not really, everywhere you go it's mostly the same. Architecture is the same, everyone wears the same clothes, speaks the same language etc. There a few spots that have genuinely different feeling than the rest of the US, but it's mostly just neighborhoods in old east coast cities that have unique accents. It's very common to move around a lot.
>>
>>74819084
Texas
>>
>>74819084
texas
>>
>>74818644
no
>>
>>74819102
>>74819111
Nope
>>
>>74819140
maryland
>>
>>74818644
>>74819004
>>74819097
Do you think that maybe the lack of distinctions is due to how young the US is and the fact that most people came from some immigrant group that had most of their traditions dissolved as a part of assimilation? If that were the case then it may be conceivable that developing distinct identities is only a matter of time.
>>
I love my poor white people here in West Virginia. However aside from the economic climate, the sense of belonging I feel is by no means strong enough to warrant I stay here for too much longer. I'll be in a different state or country by at least 30 years old.
>>
>>74819181
There's probably a whole manner of different reasons for it. I think that modern consumerism is really destroying the sense of culture and community. You look at movies or tv or whatever and you get a real americana feel that just isn't there anymore. After ww2 things slowly just got more bland as the world got more and more globalized.

Artificial corporate culture through marketing is replacing everything. Though that's just my tinfoil paranoid political opinion.
>>
>>74818644

As an Arizonan, most people there considered themselves from Arizona first and the US 2nd.

This identity has been lost due to the cultural genocide of all the spics and trash from California and Mexico flooding in.

I identify with the Desert region of the US as were I am from and where I belong--however I cannot stand living there anymore because of the people--meth addicts and wetbacks that should be set on fire.
>>
I like my state quite a lot
>>
>>74819084
Kentucky.

>>74819184
Loving where you're from doesn't mean you can never leave. You'll still be a Virginian.
>>
>>74819184
Why are west Virginians such assholes? I'm nothing but kind to you guys and I still get treated like dogshit.
>>
>>74819470
>Why are west Virginians such assholes? I'm nothing but kind to you guys and I still get treated like dogshit.

Probably because they're poor and they don't have dental coverage, which tends to put you in a bit of a bad mood
>>
No most Americans don't give a shit. There's hardly anymore than superficial loyalty to states these days-i.e. Texans having Lone star flags.
>>
>>74819097
Adding on to this; America can really be divided between race, class, and urban,rural, and suburban.

You take a middle class white from the suburbs from any part of the country put him in another middle class white suburb and he'll likely fit in fine. People separate by class and race at the same time which isn't really talked about but it's the truth. Media and people only really want to talk about race, but you will find middle and upper class black areas just like everything race has their own.

I find it's much easier to get along with people as long as they are the same class and race as me. With race there is just always awkward moments when someone slips something considered racist out. With class there is always moments where I get the feeling that the person lower than me resents what I have that they don't. With people higher than me there are usually these weird social etiquette rules that wealthy people follow that I don't know and I end up doing something that's considered inappropriate.
>>
>>74819484
But they're nice to each other. They just give me a weird sideeyed look every time I talk to one.

Note; I am not black, Asian, or Hispanic. I am a regular white guy. I WANT TO LOVE WV LET ME LOVE YOU WHY
>>
>>74819509
>With race there is just always awkward moments when someone slips something considered racist out.
Do people actually get upset about this. I'm not talking SJWs or legit racist, but are people always walking on eggshells, even around friends and family?
>>
>>74819547
It depends on the individual. If you've known the person for awhile you'll know what's acceptable to them. I've known black dudes that don't give a shit if you say nigger and others that will pummel your face in if you do even as a joke. It's just with someone as the same race as you, you never have to worry about it unless they're some turbo SJW fag so it's easier.
>>
>>74819547
To Hispanics, Asians, Indians or Black men- no.

But black women? Fucking fuggetaboutit. Black women eggshells are absolutley a thing.
>>
>>74818644
>Do americans feel a real sense of belonging to their states
Yes, very much so.
Unless you live in Commiefornia or something.
Although the federal government holds a lot of power, we're still a union of states.
>>
>>74818644
Proud to be South Dakotan, but holy hell do I hate the lack of decent jobs here
>>
>>74819647
Lol no
>>
>>74819722
How's commiefornia?
>>
File: 1482187392935.jpg (293KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1482187392935.jpg
293KB, 1920x1080px
>>74818644
To answer your question. It depends on the place and person. I don't feel like I belong anywhere outside of California and my loyalty for California far outranks my loyalty for the Union. Yet I know people who would be ready to just pack up and move to Manhattan or some shit. I have seen that the longer a family stays and the more roots they put down, the harder it is to consider any other place other than homeland as your own.

>>74819547
>Do people actually get upset about this. I'm not talking SJWs or legit racist, but are people always walking on eggshells, even around friends and family?
Not really, at least in my social group people are fairly willing to joke about race at each-others expense. Though I think it may be more of an outgrowth of "shit-talking" culture. Most everyone I know is in some kind of interracial relationship and throwing shade about each others race/culture is commonplace.
>>
>>74819023
>Also it's so common for Americans to move around, and the states are so similar, that they don't develop a real attachment to their particular state. Everyone I know was born in a different state than they live in now.
Is this just a white american thing or do blacks do it too?
>>
Absolutely no sense of belonging except maybe in my county or neighborhood. Not even racist but I feel zero sense of comradery with spics and nigs and they're literally almost half our country. This place is becoming a shit hole and basically a more northern version of Brazil.
>>
>>74819830
>Absolutely no sense of belonging except maybe in my county or neighborhood. Not even racist but I feel zero sense of comradery with spics and nigs and they're literally almost half our country. This place is becoming a shit hole and basically a more northern version of Brazil.
Ese that's pretty racist
>>
>>74818723
I'm somewhat curious what makes you think this so please explain further.
>>
>>74819782
Blacks don't move around as much nowadays because they're broke ass niggas.
>>
>>74819509
I agree 100% with this you have the white collar workers and the blue collar workers. Our bosses try to get people to bond but that seldom works.

>>74819547
It's all context and how well you know the person.
>>
>>74819889
I'm not saying they're shit people because of their race I'm just saying I certainly don't feel a sense of belonging when I walk out onto the street or into a store or bowling alley or something and I have to hear Spanish again and again and again and I'm not even on a border state. You go into a mall and it's like a UN general assembly meeting. America is just a run down multicultural mess now and I've accepted that.
>>
>>74819084
Rhode Island
>>
>>74819937
>I agree 100% with this you have the white collar workers and the blue collar workers. Our bosses try to get people to bond but that seldom works.
I agree with this. Funny enough I get the feeling that middle class and lower class people hate eachother way more than either of them do the upper class. I think it's because they actually have to bump in and interact with each other whereas upper class people's lives never really take them in places where they will interact with them.
>>
>>74819509
Why is America so messed up?
>>74819957
Fair enough. If they start integrating properly would you accept them as your country men?

Your country really should have stopped the boats long ago.
>>
>>74820010
>Why is America so messed up?
I don't know. It's a very shallow and materialistic society though. Status is heavily dependent how much money you have, where you live, the car you drive, the size of your home ect.
>>
We're not Brazil lol
>>
>>74820010
>If they start integrating properly would you accept them as your country men?
Maybe countrymen but not on the same level as with other whites(yes I know it's a loose term) Maybe it is kind of racist but I just can't view someone with black skin as the same as me.
>Your country really should have stopped the boats long ago.
Funny how were just now CONSIDERING building a wall when we should have been doing it in the 70s or 80s at the latest. Too little too late and now it's irreversible.
>>
>>74820103
>Maybe it is kind of racist but I just can't view someone with black skin as the same as me.
I'm pretty sure that's the definition of racism m8 lmao
>>
>>74818644
no because 90% of Americans have family or friends in other states so state-based nationalism gets weird. Thats also one of the reasons it would be hard for a state to succeed nowadays.
>>
File: 25043913626_ab10f0afde_z.jpg (147KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
25043913626_ab10f0afde_z.jpg
147KB, 640x427px
>>74819957
>I'm not saying they're shit people because of their race I'm just saying I certainly don't feel a sense of belonging when I walk out onto the street or into a store or bowling alley or something and I have to hear Spanish again and again and again and I'm not even on a border state.
>>74820103

It's actually kinda funny cause it was almost the opposite case for me. When all of the anti-Mexican rhetoric started coming to the surface around the election and people started chanting about building a border wall, it actually pushed me away from having an american identity. At some point I had to consider that large swathes of the electorate (and the majority of Americans on /int/) considered large swathes of my community to not be "one of them" and it's just like >>74818931 said, once people start talking shit you need to stick with your community and I had to choose between being an American, or being a Californian.

It's particularly apparent in the issue regarding illegal immigrants. I know 4chan will hate me for this, but pretty much everyone I know, knows somebody who is illegal and we have the choice between following the law and strictly enforcing immigration laws, or protecting our families and our communities despite the law. It wasn't a hard choice and something that many people on the right wing don't understand is that for a lot of us it was never about human rights, the economy nor even law. For many of us its about putting family/clan relations above federal law which in many ways is a bedrock for national identity, pro-immigration rhetoric is surprisingly nationalistic.
>>
>>74820010
You have to remember we're still a relatively young nation that's been seeing a lot of heavy changes in its short history. Add to that a rather consumer-heavy culture and influxes of immigrants and you get a rather varied society that's simultaneously always busy yet always on the move to some degree.
>>
If any of our shit tier neighbors invaded North Carolina I would die to defend it.
>>
>>74818644
I feel that there are some more regional than state ties, but
>>74819509
Also hits the mark. The urban/suburban divide is real and growing, but there still are some semi-general mentalities/attitudes/vernacular that change depending on the region (soda/pop/coke comes to mind). I've met people who care very little for their state, and I've met people who probably wouldn't live anywhere else. I live in Illinois and while I do feel some attachment for having grown up here and the familiarity of my surroundings, I probably will not stay here indefinitely.
>>
>>74819181
>>74819364
>>74819509
>>74821055
I would also argue that instrumental to having a regional/national identity is having some kind of connection with the land. People who have existed in a land for generations will know the seasonal rhythms and how the animals and soil behaves and everything about it becomes natural to them. There is a sense that the people and the land itself are one and the same which is where country identity often comes from. Americans are so thoroughly disconnected from the land that they can't really connect with it and many of them haven't been on their lands for enough time.

A major component of what makes a "people" is straight up missing.
>>
Yes, I see myself as a Southern Californian first and foremost.
>>
>>74819439
>most people there considered themselves from Arizona first
I have NEVER heard anyone share this opinion, at least in suburbia, so you have to be some outer-city boy and that kind of sentiment likely holds true for most states.
>>
The locals all care where we're from, down to which part of which state we're from. But there's also the "military family" crowd where they literally aren't "from" anywhere. And the suburbanites are barely Americans anyway. They'd be happier without us.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.