[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't Chinese make sense? White: 白 (Bai) Spoon:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

Why doesn't Chinese make sense?

White: 白 (Bai)
Spoon: 勺 (Shao)
Belonging to: 的 (De)

How does the character for white and spoon form the word belonging to? What the fuck has the colour white and a spoon got to do with belonging? And how does "Bai Shao" turn into "De".

Woman: 女
Child: 子
Good: 好

Woman + Child = Good?

Sort it the fuck out lads.
>>
That type of logic makes you much more suited to learn Korean tbdesu
>>
>>73859467
well i imagine the idea is thata woman with child is good therefore they used the symbols they had and added it

likewise the spoons in chinese restaurants are generally white so they probably did the same here, meaning spoons mostly belong to the white colour

it's pretty primitive i don't think you need to overthink it
>>
>>73859590
Korean has an alphabet so I think it's completely different in the way the language is written.
>>
File: 205-31209-9019.png (561KB, 1023x577px) Image search: [Google]
205-31209-9019.png
561KB, 1023x577px
日: Sun
月: Moon
明: Bright

This one sort of makes sense, but again. These words sound nothing alike. 明= Ming, 日= Ri, 月=Yue

So how do you even read this language? Because the characters give no clue to how they sound, unlike English.

Do you have to remember the pictograph for every single word?
>>
>>73859778
as some one who is also struggling learning this crazy language, yes

中文太难了
>>
>Written Chinese is not based on an alphabet or a compact syllabary. Instead, Chinese characters are glyphs whose components may depict objects or represent abstract notions.

God dammit
>>
spoon + rice (white) = good
>>
File: zr95bhixw5ky.jpg (92KB, 1242x1260px) Image search: [Google]
zr95bhixw5ky.jpg
92KB, 1242x1260px
>>73859778
>Do you have to remember the pictograph for every single word?

Sort of.

Most characters (after you get past the really basic ones such as those that you are looking at) follow a typical format of meaning on the left, pronunciation on the right. For example, I've never seen the character 朧 before, but I can see that it has a 月(moon) radical on the left and a 龍(pronounced "long") radical on the right. So from this, I can determine that the character 1) has something vaguely to do with the moon and 2) is pronounced "long" (although which tone "long" it is we don't know). Doing a quick google search, the character 朧 means "rising moon" and is pronounced "long" with a rising tone, so just using context clues I could figure out 90% of the meaning. Not every character follows this format, especially if you are a simplified user, and either way you will end up having to learn the radicals and memorize a ton of common characters before feeling like you've made any progress or learned any useful skill. Hence why so many people take a semester of Mandarin, get overwhelmed and drop out, and then contribute to the "OMG mandarin is so impossible!!1" meme. In reality Chinese grammar is a joke compared to languages such as Korean and Japanese, it's just a lot of rote memorization that makes it hard. The learning curve is a cliff.
>>
>>73859467
>Shao
no, di
>>
>>73859467

fuck off you ffucking potato nigger. stay the fuck out china too you fucking dumb white nigger. cabbage farter
>>
>>73860494
oh to explain its origin
this is a newly made word in 1917 taking from pan europic "di" or "de"

so applying chinese etymology is pointless irresponsible and racist
>>
File: 753653.jpg (36KB, 655x534px) Image search: [Google]
753653.jpg
36KB, 655x534px
>>73859467
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.