[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I finally understand why European and American cities developed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

I finally understand why European and American cities developed so differently.

During the Industrial Revolution, cities became overcrowded with people so European countries had to come up with ways to distribute and use land. Their idea was to have a large central square surrounded by mixed use buildings with shops on ground floor and apartments on top. This was before the car, so being able to walk to the shops or trains was important. Thus, buildings were given a height limit as well. This worked well in the days before the car. Not only did you have shops in the same building as you, but your building wasn't too big to make walking a big deal.

As you got further from the city, they allowed for primarily residential buildings, mostly apartments and still with a height limit. They also made sure that public transport would reach these areas or that they would at least have their own smaller squares to allow for easy access to shops and work.

The US began to develop similarily but didn't benefit much from the early industrial revolution, so it was slow. But after WWI, the US issued bonds to returning soldiers which allowed for more wealth in the family. Many of them wanted their own properties so instead of mixed use buildings or apartments you began to see townhouses (Brooklyn) and terraced housing (New Jersey, Boston, etc.) And a lot of these were located as close to train stations as possible. But then the car came along and people no longer relied on public transport or walking so they were able to build detached homes farther from the cities and could have private land surrounding their homes because they didn't require every little bit of land to walk on. Because of this, the city cores didn't need to be mixed use. They could be dedicated entirely to business, industry or office spaces. And height limits weren't needed to make things accessible. American skylines grew and cities expanded outwards. This is why the 2 continents are so different.
>>
>>73732220
>during the industrial revolution

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
>>
>>73732675

Well cities weren't really that big until the Industrial Revolution. Sure some towns and villages in Europe were like this before then but not enough to be a widespread trend.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSxPzafO_k&ab_channel=WendoverProductions
voila
>>
>>73732220
a lot of people accuse others of having autism as a joke, but you may actually have it
you can't just 'think up' your own version of history
>>
File: Budapest.jpg (4MB, 3600x1219px) Image search: [Google]
Budapest.jpg
4MB, 3600x1219px
European cities > American cities
Fucking skyscrapers and high rises ruin the city. So does urban planning.

Canada has some nice cities, but mostly in Québec, and areas where they built them Euro style
>>
>>73732717
You want me to meme you or are we having a serious talking?

We had huge cities since the the first century, no tall buildings due to lack of materials/proper tecnology, so cities developed horizontally, there wasn't a master plan, or rules, people started to Build wherever they feel doing it
>>
>>73732804

I didn't think it up. I'm just now realizing this stuff. It's hard to find information on it.
>>
>>73732914
you are thinking it up, cities have held millions of people since the roman empire and modern cities still use buildings and structures built over a thousand years ago
>>
>>73732908

If you're talking about Roman cities, they still made heavy use of apartment buildings (insulae). The industrial revolution lead to the development of multinational corporations so "businesses" weren't a big thing during Roman times. People wouldn't just went to the marketplace to exchange goods. All you would've needed was a town square, apartment buildings and some places for public affairs. That is nothing like modern European cities.
>>
>>73732901

European cities still have urban planning and most buildings in Europe would be considered "high rise" here.
>>
>>73732901
USA has the same thing
>>
>>73732977
>"businesses" weren't a big thing during Roman times. People wouldn't just went to the marketplace to exchange goods
you are so fucking retarded, are you seriously claiming the roman economy functioned entirely on goods without any services being provided which would require a company or business?
there are countless documented businesses like fire fighters etc in the roman empire you dull fucking dropkick
>>
>>73732977
Oh don't mind the middle ages, or the renaissance

You really think we dropped cities from the sky after the industrial revolution? Cities are the same ones as 600 years ago, ofc they got bigger, but the "tiny little european roads meme" comes from our city centers, already developed in the XVIII century
>>
>>73733096

I'm talking about businesses in the modern sense. providing a service or product isn't the same thing. That's called "self-employed" not entrepreneurship. You do the work you provide. Modern businesses have owners that do none of the work they provide. They're based around property ownership (capital). I highly doubt Romans had these types of businesses unless they were controlled by the government.
>>
>>73733196
Mate, if they ever invent time travel go back to when you were a baby and stop your mum dropping you on your head
>>
>>73733037
I dislike artificial cities with straight roads and perfectly designed neighborhoods. Real cities are organic and have history to them.
>most buildings in Europe would be considered "high rise" here.
Whaaat.

>>73733045
Ah yes. A few parts of the East Coast kept some of the history and architecture. Or even road width, so they're not as wide as the rest of the country where you can comfortably land Boeing on them and have some space left over.
It's actually my favourite part of the USA. It reminds me what life must have been like before capitalism and corporatism ruined your country.
>>
I wish the automotive industry didn't fuck up public transportation and cities in general here
>>
>>73732220
it had to do with cars you fucking moron.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.